• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firefox |OT|

IceCold

How do I make the page when doing a new tab white again? I don't like to see all of my page history (like in Chrome) when opening an new tab.

Link

The Autumn Wind
How do I make the page when doing a new tab white again? I don't like to see all of my page history (like in Chrome) when opening an new tab.
Click the little grid icon in the upper-right corner of the page.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Smooth scrolling is awful. I thought it was my hardware at first but it's awful everywhere :/

Woorloog

Banned
I thought newer FF updated silently on the backround, why does this insist asking me to update to FF13? I have FF12.
And don't say it is for minor updates only.

I thought newer FF updated silently on the backround, why does this insist asking me to update to FF13? I have FF12.
And don't say it is for minor updates only.

Do you have it set to automatically install updates in the settings? If you ever changed it to prompt but not install, I don't think they changed the setting to automatically update

Woorloog

Banned
Do you have it set to automatically install updates in the settings? If you ever changed it to prompt but not install, I don't think they changed the setting to automatically update

Oh... Gotta check that.
As long as it doesn't interrupt my browsing, like forcing me to close this, opens a download window and messes up my settings like the last time i updated Firefox...
EDIT and messing up my addons.

Madtown_

Oh... Gotta check that.
As long as it doesn't interrupt my browsing, like forcing me to close this, opens a download window and messes up my settings like the last time i updated Firefox...
EDIT and messing up my addons.

Are you updating from 3.6? Otherwise I can't fathom what the big deal is. I've never had an update (meaning the time I'm unable to browse w/ Fx) last more than 15 seconds.

If your add-ons are now unsupported there are probably modern replacements, but I can't help you without any more details.

Mr_Zombie

Aurora 15a has been released.
From the notes:
- preliminary native PDF support
- support for SPDY networking protocol v3
- improvements around memory leaks caused by some add-ons
- javascript debugger integrated into developer tools
- new layout view added to Inspector
- the CSS word-break property has been implemented
- new responsive design tool allows web developers to switch between desktop and mobile views of sites
- native support for the Opus audio codec added
- the <source> element now supports the media attribute
- the <audio> and <video> elements now support the played attribute

Woorloog

Banned
Are you updating from 3.6? Otherwise I can't fathom what the big deal is. I've never had an update (meaning the time I'm unable to browse w/ Fx) last more than 15 seconds.

If your add-ons are now unsupported there are probably modern replacements, but I can't help you without any more details.

Updated from 12 to 13, i just didn't have auto-update enabled.
Didn't have issues... But i have had previously issues updating within Firefox 3 (3.xx-3.yy), IIRC.
Haven't really liked Firefox since FF2. Uses too much system resources (though FF12-13 are better in this regard), UI was made worse looking (addon fixes this... but this should not require an addon). And this whole thing (FF13) still crases when one tab crashes, don't really like that.
If moving my passwords and bookmarks weren't such a chore (since i have so many of those), i'd ditch Firefox and start using Chrome or Chromium.

Madtown_

Aurora 15a has been released.
From the notes:

15 is definitely a big-time release. A lot of new features and improvements finally made it through. I think url autocomplete is enabled by default in 15 too.

Didn't have issues... But i have had previously issues updating within Firefox 3 (3.xx-3.yy), IIRC.
Haven't really liked Firefox since FF2. Uses too much system resources (though FF12-13 are better in this regard), UI was made worse looking (addon fixes this... but this should not require an addon). And this whole thing (FF13) still crases when one tab crashes, don't really like that.
If moving my passwords and bookmarks weren't such a chore (since i have so many of those), i'd ditch Firefox and start using Chrome or Chromium.
It definitely seems like they have gotten memory usage under control. I agree that having one tab crash the whole thing is annoying, but for me it only happens on Linux Fx, so I just never use Firefox on linux and I'm all good.

Road

You can import both directly from Firefox using Chrome's import option. I have never tested it, though.

Any browser uses more system resources nowadays than 6 years ago. Firefox won't be moving to one process per tab any time soon (if ever), so that's that. Appearance is subjective, but that's the advantage of Firefox -- you can make it look however you want.

malfcn

I kind of wish the Tab window would be Live previews. And is there a way to add what I want, and not just the most frequent?

pestul

Wow, it really has come a long way. I'd pretty much given up on it for my ASUS eeePC netbook usage for being so slow, but I just upgraded from 12 to 14 in the beta channel, and what a difference. It now beats opera in performance, which used to be my go to for speed. Chrome still runs like crap on the netbook for some reason lol

Doopliss

Not sure if everyone here is privy to this, but apparently Australis was up on the UX channel the other night, but has since been taken down. Interensting to know that they're gearing it up for release already, or at least they could be as far as releasing it on UX.
The only thing different there is the look of the tabs bar. I thought the new design had other changes such as a combined url/search bar and a repositioned settings button.

Ever since my beta version updated to 14 the plugin container has been crashing every so often. Has this been happening to anyone else?

Markster

When I saw this thread on the main page, I immediately knew it would solve the scrolling ridiculousness.

Smooth scrolling is fine, but the acceleration/deceleration on it was all wrong.

flash keeps crashing on me since the update today

Have you updated to the newest flash? I haven't had any problems with flash. The plugin container just randomly crashes. I can still look at websites fine afterwards and the plugins still work, so not sure exactly what's happening?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Have you updated to the newest flash? I haven't had any problems with flash. The plugin container just randomly crashes. I can still look at websites fine afterwards and the plugins still work, so not sure exactly what's happening?
Yeah, but I'm using the regular FF 13. I can refresh and it fixes itself but it's happened 5 times or so now, all on YT. Not sure if that's the same thing as plugin container tho

Madtown_

FF is doing really well with memory usage these days. link

Tom's hardware does far more comprehensive tests, if you're interested. From what I've seen, Firefox is slightly 'better' than Chrome on windows, Safari just barely 'the best' on Mac, and Chrome dominates linux. But most of these tests don't necessarily matter, as a setup can vary so much from one to the next.

As for the UX stuff, I hope it comes soon but I'm not holding my breath. UX is definitely a lot farther away than Nightly, and major aspects of Australis (such as tabs in title bar on mac) are seemingly a long way out.

Yeah, but I'm using the regular FF 13. I can refresh and it fixes itself but it's happened 5 times or so now, all on YT. Not sure if that's the same thing as plugin container tho

I'm also getting Flash crashes now and then since I updated both Firefox and Flash the other day.

Doomshine

I just updated and maybe I messed up, but I could've sworn it also updated all my add-ons without asking. I have an older version of an add-on that I never update because the newer versions were terrible, is there any way to roll it back?

EDIT: nevermind, I forgot that they have older versions on the add-on page, got it back now.

...and yeah flash is crashing a lot lately, I was hoping this update would fix that, but I guess not judging by the posts here.

ksdixon

I tried FireFox Mobile Beta to get YouTube integration working fully, got rid of that crap and just use YT via the android's ''Internet'' browser, or the YT app. FFMbeta was fucking HORRIBLE.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Tom's hardware does far more comprehensive tests, if you're interested. From what I've seen, Firefox is slightly 'better' than Chrome on windows, Safari just barely 'the best' on Mac, and Chrome dominates linux. But most of these tests don't necessarily matter, as a setup can vary so much from one to the next.

As for the UX stuff, I hope it comes soon but I'm not holding my breath. UX is definitely a lot farther away than Nightly, and major aspects of Australis (such as tabs in title bar on mac) are seemingly a long way out.

Sadly I'm of this belief as well. I think we won't get this integrated into FF until sometime in 2013 actually. I don't hate the current FF UI, but I definitely wish this was getting more of a priority.

Izick

It's kind of funny, I have been trying out Windows 8, and Firefox's current, edged, very squared look fits nearly perfectly with Metro's style, and they're moving to this more curvy look with Australis.

Volimar

Ever since my beta version updated to 14 the plugin container has been crashing every so often. Has this been happening to anyone else?

Just happened to me today.

Also today, when starting up firefox, first it froze, and then my computer restarted. I ran CCleaner and a scan for viruses, but I'm wondering if starting Firefox was what made my computer do that...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
When I click new tab, I now see what is presume are often-visited sites. Can I customize what shows up on it?

Jal

14 beta on mac is smoothest yet, doesn't mind climbing up to 700mb though with 5 tabs open.

And now it has native full-screen its not really fullscreen as the nav and bookmark bars don't disappear.

Mozilla looks to enter iPad web browser market with unveiling of 'Junior' prototype

junior2.jpg
junior1.jpg

Top Bottom