• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Built for the future

Zornack

A scheme? Please do some research, Titanfall and Forza use the cloud.

From what I've gathered, Titanfall has bots and Forza uses driver profiles which have been done on other platforms. I don't see how either are being made possible by the cloud.

Goku

Banned
We are not talking about Sony here. This is a Microsoft promise we are discussing.

As for Drivatars. How is this not possible with some servers set-up for the purpose of this game? How is this not glorified bots? I mean, do you actually like bots? Do you also really care that a bot that races like you races online against others why you are not there?

@Bolded - lol. Why should Microsoft promises be judged differently from Sony promisess. I'm giving you an example of a premise that took time to take advantage of.

@Underlined - Bots have patterns. They take corners perfectly and don't do unexpected things. The 'drivatar' premise is that's it's an offline version of you and races like you. And unless you drive like a bot, I am excited for this type of AI.

Having said that, there are lots of ways to downplay what Microsoft said if you choose to do so. Developers have acknowledged Microsofts cloud solution and I choose to be excited for it. If you choose to be sceptical, then be sceptical within reasonable boundries, not "This is Microsoft we're talking about, not Sony". The bolded part actually is quite rediculous if I think about it.

That said, I don't think I will be able to reason with you, therefor I choose not to continue the arguement.

Its just a simple routine that calculates chances and probabilities and mimics a "behavior" out of this. Dont make more out of it as it is. Nothing that would kill the performance of the game if it was processed in box. If the cloud could really handle some performance heavy duties it would be a complete different thing. Its nice though, but far away from what Microsoft promises.

Well thank you for pleading my case. The calculation is being done in the cloud, not locally. Therefor a process is being offloaded from the Xbox One to the Cloud. No matter how miniscule, recourses are saved locally.

Good day sir.

Jack cw

I thought the reason this is using the cloud though is because it downloads your friends' drivatars and you race them.

Nothing that could be done in your box and uploaded on the servers for your friends to download. I like that they are trying to use this cloud but the tasks that are off loaded are so basic that it wouldnt have an impact of more than 1% of the performance.
Well thank you for pleading my case. The calculation is being done in the cloud, not locally. Therefor a process is being offloaded from the Xbox One to the Cloud. No matter how miniscule, recourses are saved locally.
Well, somethings better than nothing :)

Mugatu

The only way functions will be faster with Kinect versus using pressing a button as they say is if they purposely made functions more difficult and slow when using the controller.

And they're just calling anything network related a cloud feature now, what a load of crap that is.

A scheme? Please do some research, Titanfall and Forza use the cloud.
He said core things.

All Forza is doing is using cloud storage.

I'm not sure what AI stuff Titanfall is doing on the cloud, but likely not 'core' aspects of the game.

Additionally I don't classify dedicated servers as 'cloud'. We have them today and they're not part of 'clouds'.

Xbox_one-VS-PS4_adverts_18.gif

Only thing Microsoft need to do is label the game covers with "better with cloud".

I'm ok with that... I'll always be connected anyway

From what I've gathered, Titanfall has bots and Forza uses driver profiles which have been done on other platforms. I don't see how either are being made possible by the cloud.

are you really this dense? Respawn and Turn 10 are offloading these things to the cloud so the Xbox 1 does not have to compute them. No one, that has thought this out, is saying that they can't be done locally, but having them computed in the cloud frees up compute power for the Xbox 1 to do other things.

This is the beginning. I think you will see cloud computing continue to grow.

weeeeezy

Banned
He said core things.

I'm not sure what AI stuff Titanfall is doing on the cloud, but likely not 'core' aspects of the game.

Additionally I don't classify dedicated servers as 'cloud'. We have them today and they're not part of 'clouds'.

Can you elaborate on "core aspects of the game"?

Forza does more than just cloud storage.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/11/4420778/forza-motorsport-5-preview-e3-2013-drivatar-cloud

"When you put the controller down, then your Drivatar begins its day," said Giese. Your friends and other online players won't run into you online, but they'll face your Drivatar, and Giese said the idea is that people who know how you race will feel like they're playing with you even when they're racing against your Drivatar. (Forza 5 will always notify players whether they're racing with a live player or that person's Drivatar.) And the more you play, the more your Drivatar will be able to learn about the way you race.

Some of the advantages of Titanfall using the cloud.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/25/titanfall-dev-explains-xbox-ones-azure-cloud-benefits
You can get even more CPU on your dedicated servers to do new things like dozens of AI and giant autopilot titans!
Suddenly you have no more host advantage!
Bandwidth for the servers is guaranteed from the hosting provider!
You can use all of the available CPU and memory on the player machines for awesome visuals and audio!
Hacked-host cheating isn’t an issue!
Matchmaking can be lightning fast since it’s guaranteed that everyone can connect to your servers.
And since the servers aren’t going to go disconnect to watch Netflix, you don’t need to migrate hosts anymore!

He said core things.

Yeah they are....

Clouds are groups of servers....which in turn are sometimes dedicated for online games...

Mugatu

are you really this dense? Respawn and Turn 10 are offloading these things to the cloud so the Xbox 1 does not have to compute them. No one, that has thought this out, is saying that they can't be done locally, but having them computed in the cloud frees up compute power for the Xbox 1 to do other things.

This is the beginning. I think you will see cloud computing continue to grow.

What are these other things that are being done with this freed up local computing power? What's the point of offloading this if it's not required by anything?

I honestly believe that people would've taken much more positively to this feature if MS hadn't so horribly oversold it. This sounds a lot more reasonable and actually shows up potential and realistic implementations that we could see.

Not garbage about "unlimited power"
Ugh. Don't remind me. As a hardware manufacturer, they should learn to never use the words "unlimited power".

Are they stating that their competitors or PC hardwares are obsolete? Are they stating this is the only hardware to own for the next 100 years and there is nothing more than unlimited power? I don't know what they're trying to sell.

People fail to understand how cloud computing works. Regardless of what is happening, even cloud has fucking limits. Its funny how an informercial in GTAV hilariously and saecastically explained cloud computing far better than anyone else has.

Mugatu

Yeah they are....

Clouds are groups of servers....which in turn are sometimes dedicated for online games...

Cloud is being used as a marketing term now. I mean he mentions that the cloud enables profiles and transaction history, that's complete BS.

If cloud computing is simply being used as a synonym for anything online then it's become nothing but marketing. It used to have more specific meanings but not anymore it seems.

Bsigg12

What are these other things that are being done with this freed up local computing power? What's the point of offloading this if it's not required by anything?

With TItanfall, I'm pretty sure they said by offloading the AI to the cloud, they are freeing up the CPU for better physics done locally.

Mugatu

With TItanfall, I'm pretty sure they said by offloading the AI to the cloud, they are freeing up the CPU for better physics done locally.

Anything the devs choose to do with it. I'm sure it differs according to what is needed.

Fair enough, but we don't really seem to get specifics and every time I hear the cloud mentioned it is being used more and more openly for anything network related.

The only way functions will be faster with Kinect versus using pressing a button as they say is if they purposely made functions more difficult and slow when using the controller.

Saying 'xbox record' while playing a game is much faster and far more covenient than pausing your game and entering the record option.

Alx

UI looks sick!

Metro really shines here.

Yeah, if there's something to get from that chaotic thread and topic, it's the nice UI animations. Really love the big welcome screen animation, now it makes better sense to have a 1080p user image.

jim2011

That's bullocks. Even right now with kinect and xbox 360, searching is WAY WAY faster. Launching games that aren't pinned is way way faster. There are so many possible voice commands and so few buttons on a controller.

Seriously, you could not be more wrong.

Al13n

Neo Member
That's the screen PRIOR to logging in. The Xbox gifs show what happens AFTER you log in. A better example of what happens on PS4 after you log in would be to watch the PS4 demo from Gamescom. There's a screen where you pick your account and then it drops you immediately into the Dynamic Menu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaPoLJyDZmM

Really not impressed, the current PS4 UI doesn't even look on par with the current XBOX 360 UI..

geordiemp

Suddenly you have no more host advantage!
Bandwidth for the servers is guaranteed from the hosting provider!
You can use all of the available CPU and memory on the player machines for awesome visuals and audio!
Hacked-host cheating isn’t an issue!
Matchmaking can be lightning fast since it’s guaranteed that everyone can connect to your servers.
And since the servers aren’t going to go disconnect to watch Netflix, you don’t need to migrate hosts anymore![/I]

That list is just dedicated servers and is game dependent. Many 360 and Ps3 games had dedicated servers.

All COD Ghosts (including Wii) will have dedicated servers.

So your list becomes 1 item

Processing of AI in the cloud - If the game has bots and the dedicated server is running the game then of course the bots have to be server controlled.

Bots cant be locally controlled by a player in a multilayer game - what happens if he quits early.

So in summary, the way it reads to me, Titanfall has dedicated servers which will do what dedicated servers must do for a multilayer game with bots.....

UNCMark

Banned
That's the screen PRIOR to logging in. The Xbox gifs show what happens AFTER you log in. A better example of what happens on PS4 after you log in would be to watch the PS4 demo from Gamescom. There's a screen where you pick your account and then it drops you immediately into the Dynamic Menu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaPoLJyDZmM

Ah ok. Thanks for that. Xbox One login/welcome is still light years better to me, though. Everything about the PS4 UI that I've seen so far is so bland and lifeless. Hopefully they show more soon like MS has started to.

Fantastic welcome screen and transition to the dash. Just those little details MS does well. One of my biggest annoyances with the PS3 was the sound of an orchestra tuning up at the beginning and then that generic ribbon waving around in the back. I never understood how that fit with the PS brand and it has always bugged me.

Taker34

Banned
But how can you be built for the future if you have DDR3 + 1.1 TF?

Let me show you the Microsoft dictionary:

future-proof
(/ˈfjuː.tʃə.pruːf/)
adjective

>Future-proof software, computer equipment, etc. is designed so that it can be used for one year after release.

Special C

So if I want to watch a Batman movie it's just as fast to load up netflix and type "batman" in the search engine with a controller than simply telling kinect to search for Batman movies?

Same applies to a game in a large library that I havent played in a while.

I will also be able to walk into my game room and tell kinect to turn my xbox on and start my game while I'm getting my controller or going to the fridge to get something to drink.

How is this not faster?

This may not be important to you but to say it WON'T be faster with kinect is an untrue statement for many (not all) functions.

watership

And they're just calling anything network related a cloud feature now, what a load of crap that is.

He said core things.

I think the distaste gamers have for the word is clouding (snort) the actual benefits of the MS cloud platform. Easily spun up, distributed, shared resources. This isn't' a bunch of servers sitting in a room. This is a system wide, worldwide platform for hosting, dedicated game server operations, user and saved game data, and dedicated processing. To compare PC dedicated servers which is game specific, to platform specific Azure architecture isn't correct. MS can now quickly spin up resources and locations for dedicated game servers. The scale and flexibility is beyond what people consider dedicated servers today. This is the same comparison for Chat that people argued with the original launch of xbox live. "Big deal, PC games have voice chat". Sure they did, but never a unified, system wide platform for chat.

Bsigg12

Fair enough, but we don't really seem to get specifics and every time I hear the cloud mentioned it is being used more and more openly for anything network related.

I think that's because the system isn't even out yet. We have such a small palette of games that showcase anything either system can do that making broad statements like "the cloud is a hoax", looks dumb. Until more devs move to the Xbox One and really start digging at what they can do with Xbox Live Compute, we probably won't see anything other than really helpful features that Microsoft is introducing for accounts.

I'm sure by this time next year though, we'll have a few games that are showcasing what is possible with the Xbox Live Compute system.

weeeeezy

Banned
That list is just dedicated servers and is game dependent. Many 360 and Ps3 games had dedicated servers.

All COD Ghosts (including Wii) will have dedicated servers.

So your list becomes 1 item

Processing of AI in the cloud - If the game has bots and the dedicated server is running the game then of course the bots have to be server controlled.

Bots cant be locally controlled by a player in a multilayer game - what happens if he quits early.

So in summary, the way it reads to me, Titanfall has dedicated servers which will do what dedicated servers must do for a multilayer game with bots.....

You do know that dedicated servers is another term for "the cloud" right? No one is saying 360 and ps3 didn't have dedicated servers. Microsoft just provides developers the toolsets needed to use Azure.

Built for a future most don't want.

Some nice ideas here and there, though. So, not a complete waste of time. I think I might bite at < $300.00 since now the system functions without Kinect being plugged in.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Well thank you for pleading my case. The calculation is being done in the cloud, not locally. Therefore a process is being offloaded from the Xbox One to the Cloud.
As a result, creating new processes for the local machine to handle instead. Specifcally network processes to send and receive this data, package and unpackage as needed, fault tolerance for unstable/unreliable network connections, etc.

ckohler

Really not impressed, the current PS4 UI doesn't even look on par with the current XBOX 360 UI..

Ah ok. Thanks for that. Xbox One login/welcome is still light years better to me, though. Everything about the PS4 UI that I've seen so far is so bland and lifeless. Hopefully they show more soon like MS has started to.

I like them both. Metro has always been an attractive UI to me and I'm digging all of the Xbox One UI's motion and modern flat look. On PS4, I like the transparency of elements, how stuff is organized and the full-bleed contextual images in the backgrounds.

Top Bottom