• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

Volcynika

I'm currently putting some attention on the game as well as my brother (he got it from the Steam sale). Sometimes I want to just see how far he's progressed compared to me, but that's hard to do since the Steam achievements are fucked up and don't unlock half the time. :lol

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Got this on Steam as well, but just only downloaded over the night. Played the first few minutes, and I loved every minute of it. Runs great on my PC. Had to stop playing though, since my kid stood beside me watching (he's not even five yet, so I don't want him to see these kind of games). Will play more when my kids are asleep and I have the time.

derFeef

Can´t beat Tiamat. The aiming controls are just messed up. Either the aiming itself or the lock on never works the way I want.

quickwhips

just wanted to say i just beat this game and its so good. I didn't care for the main characters voice but other than that I loved everything else. I haven't played a zelda game in a lont time but It felt sorta like fable in the combat department but better.

Firebrand

Got Darksiders installed after picking it up during the Steam sale and tried it out for a bit... Seemed solid at first, a 40-60 FPS (E8500, GTX260/216, 1080p) during the first segment. The 2D presentation (menus etc) is really slick too.

Then I got to the open area after the first boss and the framerate took a nosedive, wouldn't surprise me if it was below 20 in some battles. Seems playable though, and a decent game otherwise.

And oh, can you disable the mouse pointer somehow? I'm playing with a gamepad yet the pointer insists of centering itself everytime I go into the menus.

Y2Kev said:
Go read Vigil saying it is going to be totally different and get depressed with the rest of us.

Are you referring to this?

"It's a different character and takes place simultaneously to the [first game's] story, because there's only one apocalypse, and has new mechanics and features that differentiate it a lot and grow it from the first game."

"You have to build on the first one; you can't repeat it and I think that's very important in franchise building."

http://pc.ign.com/articles/113/1133020p1.html

I don't really get the feeling that he means that it's no longer going to be an action adventure title like Darksiders. It just seems like he's saying that people shouldn't expect them to repackage Darksiders with a different main character and call it Darksiders 2. At least i'm hoping that's what he means.

tha_devil

derFeef said:
Can´t beat Tiamat. The aiming controls are just messed up. Either the aiming itself or the lock on never works the way I want.
That was a hard boss,, did u have some life stones before going into the fight? If not go get some.

derFeef

tha_devil said:
That was a hard boss,, did u have some life stones before going into the fight? If not go get some.
Unfortunately not. Vulgrim is far away as well and that would be a lot of time spent on running back and forth :/ How often do you need to hit her with the bombs?

.la1n

I had hoped they would continue where the last game left off, also the new character has some big shoes to fill because War was a badass character imo. Either way they can have my money, I went in with low expectations and came out extremely happy. Please no fetch quest at the end this time Vigil.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Glitched in first dungeon :lol :lol

Got to a sword, pressed B, cutscene began... Invisible sword time! Wouldn't active any switch. Even reloading the save didn't help. Goddammit :lol :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't really care about new mechanics or whatever. I am upset about the story. The ending to DS was GREAT and I was hoping it picked up there. At best I can hope for overlapping storylines now that continues on a bit after the end of DS.

Volcynika

Relix said:
Glitched in first dungeon :lol :lol

Got to a sword, pressed B, cutscene began... Invisible sword time! Wouldn't active any switch. Even reloading the save didn't help. Goddammit :lol :lol

Happened to my brother on the third sword. He grabbed it before the poison monster thing showed up. He had to reload a save from about an hour previous to it.

bridegur

If they're going to change things up for the sequel, I hope it involves an increase in Zelda-ness, exploring, and adventure elements, rather than more action.

Y2Kev said:
I don't really care about new mechanics or whatever. I am upset about the story. The ending to DS was GREAT and I was hoping it picked up there. At best I can hope for overlapping storylines now that continues on a bit after the end of DS.
It's almost certainly going to be something of an attempt to 'reboot' it as something more focus-group friendly (yes, even more so than a cross between God of War and Zelda) so they can get the support for the real sequel. Probably a parallel game in which you play as Fury with a much heavier emphasis on shooting. Or Strife. Whichever one had the gun.
bridegur said:
If they're going to change things up for the sequel, I hope it involves an increase in Zelda-ness, exploring, and adventure elements, rather than more action.
ha ha ha

Volcynika

Y2Kev said:

Yeah I really liked the ending too!

:/

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Why is the game so buggy on PC? I've had 3 crashes in a playtime of around 30 minutes.

Edit: I guess I've run into some game ending glitch :). The game crashed after an FMV played and everytime I load the game it gives me a black screen while the boss music plays. Great port :/

vocab

I'm trying to decide which feels better. Vsync on + triple buffering or just vsync off. The game never feels completely smooth, but it's fine for a console port I guess. Not a fan of random 60-100 fps to 0 frame drops for no reason. Vsync on + triple buffering eleminates that completely, but staying at 60 at all times just won't happen.

Haunted

God I hope they don't fuck up the sequel. That ending was one of the best sequel setups I've seen this generation, they can't voluntarily throw it away like this. :(

duckroll

Yeah the framerate is only major complain I have. It's obviously not a very optimized PC port, and there are no graphical options whatsoever. But it runs as intended, and it supports the 360 pad, and it's fun as hell. For 10 bucks, I'm not going to get worked up over some minor issues. :lol

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Third time's the charm! I also set it to Vista comptability mode. I hope it can stay stable now because it's a damn cool game.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Haunted said:
God I hope they don't fuck up the sequel. That ending was one of the best sequel setups I've seen this generation, they can't voluntarily throw it away like this. :(
Agreed.

Volcynika

I didn't run into any issues in my run through aside from achievements not working half the time and these weird little freezes in the serpent holes. (I paid pre-order price so I can get worked up if I want to!)

My brother had game freezing where it would not work within a few minutes of starting it, has to startup the game outside of Steam to play it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Haunted said:

I LOVED the ending. It was fucking epic. It's a shame they're not using that.

thetrin said:
I LOVED the ending. It was fucking epic. It's a shame they're not using that.
They should have released some meaty DLC episodes (similar to what Gearbox did for Borderlands) as a sort of midquel and then they could have whatever sequel they wanted.

I was chatting to someone and was like "I heard that game is like Zelda but more mature I regret not getting it in the sale" and he was like naw man it's like Devil May Cry (which I am not a fan of) so I was like oh well, saved myself some cash. I ignored it when it went on sale again like an idiot and then I find out it is in fact Zelda but more mature. gg guy giving me bad advice. I really wanted to play this but at the cheaper price.

Maffis

I wonder what the story will be about. Darksiders ends with
the other 3 horsemen appearing and they're going to fight the corrupt council
but seeing as this new one takes place simultaneously with the first one I'm confused. Will we have Death roaming around, uncovering the same things as War, or will he find other 'conspiracies'? Gah, why can't they just make a 'sequel'.

quickwhips

FunkyPajamas said:
They should have released some meaty DLC episodes (similar to what Gearbox did for Borderlands) as a sort of midquel and then they could have whatever sequel they wanted.

if they did that people might not buy the sequel since its the same time. Probably put the dlc in the second one to make it continue the first game. That would be a good money maker for them.

duckroll

Visualante said:
I was chatting to someone and was like "I heard that game is like Zelda but more mature I regret not getting it in the sale" and he was like naw man it's like Devil May Cry (which I am not a fan of) so I was like oh well, saved myself some cash. I ignored it when it went on sale again like an idiot and then I find out it is in fact Zelda but more mature. gg guy giving me bad advice. I really wanted to play this but at the cheaper price.

You got owned by terrible info. :lol

Red

Visualante said:
More "mature" isn't exactly what I'd call it. More adult? The story is darker and the action more violent, but most Zelda titles are pretty damn mature themselves. Darksiders' puzzles are much easier than Zelda's, and nearly all the combat is brain dead button mashing. Very rarely will you even have to block.

It is definitely closer to Zelda than DMC, though. Overworld + dungeon exploration + item gathering. Just don't expect a gold standard for the formula. It's okay, but nothing extraordinary.

duckroll said:
You got owned by terrible info. :lol
My own fault for not investigating personally. I'm definitely going to be playing this as a top priority in 2011.
Crunched said:
More "mature" isn't exactly what I'd call it. More adult? The story is darker and the action more violent, but most Zelda titles are pretty damn mature themselves. Darksiders' puzzles are much easier than Zelda's, and nearly all the combat is brain dead button mashing. Very rarely will you even have to block.

It is definitely closer to Zelda than DMC, though. Overworld + dungeon exploration + item gathering. Just don't expect a gold standard for the formula. It's okay, but nothing extraordinary.
I didn't get that vibe at all from the Zelda games I've played (WW, LttP, TP PH). Whimsy adventures in magic land is my kind of impression. I guess it's all a matter of perspective over Nintendo's library or the franchise as a whole. I understand Majora's Mask is a real treat and I consider it a failure on my part, having not played it yet.
I don't expect anything really, the game came out of no-where for me. But if it even attempts to do what I've been crying out for since I finished Twilight Princess, I will be happy.

duckroll

Darksiders isn't a more mature Zelda. It's just a more violent Zelda, with American comic book art direction instead of Japanese videogame art direction. It reminds me a lot of early Top Cow work, especially stuff like Darkness, Witchblade, and of course Ascension.

Red

duckroll said:
Darksiders isn't a more mature Zelda. It's just a more violent Zelda, with American comic book art direction instead of Japanese videogame art direction. It reminds me a lot of early Top Cow work, especially stuff like Darkness, Witchblade, and of course Ascension.
Yes, it's very comic book. I really enjoyed the art design, even War's outfit. It's ridiculous, but I think that's the point.
Visualante said:
I didn't get that vibe at all from the Zelda games I've played (WW, LttP, TP PH). Whimsy adventures in magic land is my kind of impression. I guess it's all a matter of perspective over Nintendo's library or the franchise as a whole. I understand Majora's Mask is a real treat and I consider it a failure on my part, having not played it yet.
I don't expect anything really, the game came out of no-where for me. But if it even attempts to do what I've been crying out for since I finished Twilight Princess, I will be happy.
From A Link to the Past and onwards, I've thought Zelda games have featured some really heavy moments of melancholy, without having to resort to obvious indicators (music, tonal cues, cutscenes). Majora's Mask is practically drowning in despair. It's a very moving series, and it achieves an emotional impact with very minimalist plot devices. I enjoy that a lot, and it is immediately more "mature" to me.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Someone please tell me the game isn't filled with more incredibly boring "BEAT FOUR CHALLENGE ROOMS TO PROCEED" objectives :(.

duckroll

Easy_D said:
Someone please tell me the game isn't filled with more incredibly boring "BEAT FOUR CHALLENGE ROOMS TO PROCEED" objectives :(.

Worst parts of the game by far. I've encountered that retarded lazy ass filler game design twice in the game so far, but I hear that there aren't any more of them for the rest of the game.

Y dale con las comparaciones a Zelda.

It's as if none of you guys had played Soul Reaver. This is so much similar to it: exploration, ruins, power ups, items, heavy emphasis on voice acting and storyteling, plot full of betrayal and redemption, etc. Hell, the combat system is way more similar to Soul Reaver's than Zelda's, DMC's or GOW's.

If only a mod would change the title accordingly.
Don't ban me duckroll!

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Crunched said:
Yes, it's very comic book. I really enjoyed the art design, even War's outfit. It's ridiculous, but I think that's the point.
The art direction definitely has that 90's comic book feel in regards to the main characters. Bulky body and terribly small heads.

duckroll said:
There's so much languishing about the Zelda franchise that Darksiders seems to be satisfying much of what I wanted in an adventure. I imagined a cel shaded Zelda with darker art direction after I played Okami, that was less about gadgets and more about just adventuring and fighting bad guys. Having watched a few videos, the angels and demons setup strikes a chord with me, too.

An-Det

Easy_D said:

I only remember those being in the first area with the giant door thing, maybe once more soon after, but definitely not more than two groups of them in the game which I was glad for.

duckroll

FunkyPajamas said:
Y dale con las comparaciones a Zelda.

It's as if none of you guys had played Soul Reaver. This is so much similar to it: exploration, ruins, power ups, items, heavy emphasis on voice acting and storyteling, plot full of betrayal and redemption, etc. Hell, the combat system is way more similar to Soul Reaver's than Zelda's, DMC's or GOW's.

If only a mod would change the title accordingly.
Don't ban me duckroll!

I do seem some similarity to Soul Reaver when actually playing the game. But I think a lot of that is linked to the premise of the game: exploring a long dead world which was once filled with technology and high civilization. In actual comparison in terms of both story and gameplay though, it really isn't much like Soul Reaver at all. Maybe if War had awesome monologues as you moved through each area, it would be closer, but as it is I think Soul Reaver is quite different in both concept and execution.

Haunted

Easy_D said:
They come up twice.

I didn't have a problem with the challenge rooms per se, but making them two mandatory sets of four (five?) at a time was just stupid. Distributing those evenly throughout the game would've been the better choice.

duckroll said:
I do seem some similarity to Soul Reaver when actually playing the game. But I think a lot of that is linked to the premise of the game: exploring a long dead world which was once filled with technology and high civilization. In actual comparison in terms of both story and gameplay though, it really isn't much like Soul Reaver at all. Maybe if War had awesome monologues as you moved through each area, it would be closer, but as it is I think Soul Reaver is quite different in both concept and execution.
Oh, definitely, and to be honest Soul Reaver doesn't have the find-item-in-dungeon-to-progress-and-defeat-the-boss gameplay mechanic that both Darksiders and Zelda have (Though Raziel does gain new powers to advance in different areas); but I don't know, when playing the game Soul Reaver came to my mind a lot more than Zelda did. The combat system, the dialog-heavy cutscene before the boss, the overall feeling of the world, etc. Sure, there are very Zelda-esque features in the game (hook, horse, boomerang, etc), but maybe my longing for a new Soul Reaver game prompted that comparison in my head.

Anyway, this is a solid and enjoyable game in my opinion, hopefully Vigil know what made the game good for the people that bought it and build upon that instead of throwing it all away.

duckroll

Haunted said:
They come up twice.

I didn't have a problem with the challenge rooms per se, but making them two mandatory sets of four (five?) at a time was just stupid. Distributing those evenly throughout the game would've been the better choice.

I think that a MUCH better choice would be simply to place a mini-boss at each of the gates, and instead spread the challenge rooms all over the world as completely optional content, with better rewards for beating each one (say, a life piece and/or a wrath piece). Making them mandatory to progress through the game just reeks of filler content.

Red

duckroll said:
I think that a MUCH better choice would be simply to place a mini-boss at each of the gates, and instead spread the challenge rooms all over the world as completely optional content, with better rewards for beating each one (say, a life piece and/or a wrath piece). Making them mandatory to progress through the game just reeks of filler content.
I'd argue that at least 40% of the game is similar filler content/artificial time extenders.

duckroll

Crunched said:
I'd argue that at least 40% of the game is similar filler content/artificial time extenders.

I think presentation is very important though. It's less about the actual content being a time waster, and more about how it's presented to the player. If I'm navigating a path from point A to B, and along the path I fight a bunch of enemies, obviously that is not very different in terms of gameplay from a challenge room which says "kill 30 enemies". But the difference is that the way it's presented is that I am fighting enemies while moving towards a clear objective.

When you hit a wall which says "go walk around in the area you just exploded, and find those glowing things which will bring you to a generic circular room with a challenge, complete all 4 and come back to me" then that is just totally lazy presentation. Flavoring and disguising an otherwise generic chore is the difference between a great game and a good game, even if both games contain the exact same actual mechanics.

FunBoy

Was looking forward to playing this tonight but I've been afflicted with the scrolling up menu bug.

Tried reinstalling my mouse and keyboard and my 36- wireless controller works fine on other games :(.

derFeef

Finally beat Tiamat and I love how the game opens up after that. That game is a pleasant surprise and keeps me away from my new PS3 :D

Top Bottom