• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

I'm liking the new Slowdive album

Right now I'm finding it hard to imagine any other record topping it this year. Maybe Cornelius if the rest of the album holds up to the single.

I like how Slowdive just casually drop an album after 22 years and show years of dream pop bands how to make a dreamy atmosphere without sounding vapid and inconsequential.

Futureman

New Courtney Barnett song out. "How to Boil an Egg." Well I guess it's an old song that was never recorded, reworked and released now.

Apparently she's demoing a new record. Can't wait... most anticipated release now!

overcast

I'm liking the new Slowdive album
Yeah it's really great.
New Courtney Barnett song out. "How to Boil an Egg." Well I guess it's an old song that was never recorded, reworked and released now.

Apparently she's demoing a new record. Can't wait... most anticipated release now!
Ooh nice. Really liked her last album.
Been a great week for singles. New Grizzly Bear, The National, and War on Drugs have got me hyped!
Honestly these are like three of the biggest indie acts I have never got into. Not because I don't like them but because I just somehow missed out.

Quite like the new Fleet Foxes single even if it isn't as terrific as the first.

faridmon

Liars are teasing something.

18519690_10155618943244245_3570531432435242122_n.jpg

Their last album was bloody good, and I am excited to see what they cook up next

and speaking of which, Wild Cub is also teasing something. Good week!

Two new Beach Fossils songs too! The vibe in Social Jetlag reminds me of Earl. And the second apparently features Rachel Goswell.

I also dug the new Broken Social Scene song. Much better than the one they announced with

Kibbles

:) :) :) :)

It's been 15 years since Box Car Racer was released. They have released a limited vinyl on their side and Hot Topic and Tom has been teasing a comeback. He's tweeted about having serious conversations with Travis Barker, then has been playing BCR songs live on instagram, keeps teasing people asking if they are coming back, asked who they should have feature on the album if there was a new one (and a bunch of musicians replied wanting in, interest is obviously there for this regardless, hopefully it gets the ball rolling) and just recently he has mentioned on twitter he is going in the studio next week... hopefully related to this and not AvA.

Box Car Racer is a sideproject that he can do on his own time and terms and doesn't have to do an exhausting greatest hits tour like he claimed to have gotten tired of with Blink so I think it makes sense. I really hope Travis is involved, he killed it on the first record and I've always preferred the Tom+Travis combo to +44 and the new blink lineup.

edit: From Billboard interview today too:
Do you have any stuff written that you think you would use for a Box Car album?

[Pauses.] You are such an investigator. [Laughs.]

You're the investigator, not me.

[Laughs.] I think the safest answer is that the music I am doing now, that I'm writing now, lives more sided towards that [Box Car Racer] sound than traditional Angels & Airwaves, by nature of what I'm into at this moment.

So if you were to do another album, who are some people you'd love to get involved with it, as far as the guest situation?

You know, it's funny: On Twitter I was talking to Anthony Green (Circa Survive, Saosin). His voice just makes me feel like I'm back in the '70s or some shit. But, I don't know... he would be good on that record. That's a really good question. I mean, do you go with something electronic and edgy, or do you go with someone who's more of a veteran of cool, where we come from? You know, try to get Ian MacKaye (Fugazi, Minor Threat) to come on there and scream something. Do you put Enya on there? [Laughs.] I could even see us doing an acoustic song with Ben [Gibbard] from Death Cab [For Cutie], you know? That'd be cool, too. I don't think there are any limits at all; it just has to be someone very authentic. That's all I care about.

Up: Tom better not be yanking my chain

That dusty guitar in my living room is calling. It says "Hey duuude, play something fast and punk" - then: Eric Melvin from NOFX called.
10:41 AM · May 30, 2017

I like to write songs that are interesting to me at that time... fast stuff seems interesting, I haven't done it in awhile, so it's freeeesh
10:44 AM · May 30, 2017

Been listening to Tigers Jaw's new album and it's really good (two or three listens of it fully). The first half is better than the second, but the second half isn't too bad, just weaker than the first part of the album.

batsnacks

still listening to these Calgary bands

Friendo's album Cold Toads here is v good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yChezUqVho
edit: bandcamp link https://friendo.bandcamp.com/album/cold-toads

female guitarist/vocalist from Friendo also played in this band, which is pretty good:
http://shop.bornbadrecords.net/album/s-t-5
a song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX9iIIe1Ch4

I got into these Canadian artists starting with the band Women, their album Public Strain is real good:
https://womenband.bandcamp.com/

can't find anything else like these bands anywhere and there really needs to be more.

Cheddahz

Banned
Is the new Wavves album as good as V? I freaking loved that album, but the singles so for for the new one have been underwhelming
like it a lot more than v tbh, but the only wavves album i've really liked before (or that i still do from high school) is afraid of heights
Thought the new wavves was shit.

The new sonic jesus is nice tho.

yeah, sonic jesus album is tight as well

faridmon

V was bloody great though. Really apprehensive about the new one.

You know whats good guys
but no one will listen
? The new Post War Glamour Girls. Its less post-punky than their previous two but they have gone more Garage and its really much more expansive and ambitious.

faridmon

Vision festival have announced their second batch of artist/bands

Wolf Eyes - Happyness - Holly Macve
Moor Mother - Marie Davidson - Cosmo Pyke
Amber Arcades - Matt Maltese - Puma Blue - Night Flowers

Its an OK bunch. I am only excited to potentially see Happyness and Amber Arcades

Fjordson

Seeing Chromatics on Twin Peaks and performing at Showtime's premiere party gives me hope the band isn't totally dead. But we'll see....

Futureman

Too bad windswept is some seriously half assed shit.

What is Windswept? Is that the song on Twin Peaks? I only watched the first episode last night and can't wait for the rest.

Only Wavves album I really listened to was King of the Beach. Love that album.

I've been on an Olivia Tremor Control kick lately, and man, it's such a heartbreak that we'll never have another OTC album due to the huge loss of Bill Doss.

Fjordson

Too bad windswept is some seriously half assed shit.
Oh really? Haven't checked it out yet, but a lot of Johnny Jewel's work outside the IDIB bands has been a little boring. But I like the tracks they've teased so far from Dear Tommy.

What is Windswept? Is that the song on Twin Peaks? I only watched the first episode last night and can't wait for the rest.
The Chromatics song they played is called Shadow. Really like that one personally.

Windswept is a new instrumental album by Johnny Jewel, including some stuff he composed for Twin Peaks (I think).

Steamlord

I've been on an Olivia Tremor Control kick lately, and man, it's such a heartbreak that we'll never have another OTC album due to the huge loss of Bill Doss.

I seem to remember the other members talking about releasing The Same Place a while after his death, but I've given up hope on that at this point.

I seem to remember the other members talking about releasing The Same Place a while after his death, but I've given up hope on that at this point.

It might not have been far enough long to feel confident in releasing it, especially given Doss's big stamp on the sound and production.

overcast

New Alex G is great. Gotta be okay with his nasally/whiny voice which I need to be in the mood for. I appreciate him dipping his toes in a variety of instrumentatinal influences (like DSU).
Seeing Chromatics on Twin Peaks and performing at Showtime's premiere party gives me hope the band isn't totally dead. But we'll see....
Hope in those dudes ain't worth it

Cheddahz

Banned
New Alex G is great. Gotta be okay with his nasally/whiny voice which I need to be in the mood for. I appreciate him dipping his toes in a variety of instrumentatinal influences (like DSU).

definitely why i'm enjoying rocket a whole lot more than beach music

big ander

Yea the stylistic detours are better on rocket than on beach music. For example "in love" wasn't a bad song but it always seemed out of place. Rocket flows a lot better even while trying noise punk on for size. Guilty, proud and powerful man are some of his best songs

I'm LTTP on the Cactus Blossoms, but heard their song on Twin Peaks and damn, the whole album is pretty good. They've got that 1950's vintage country-pop aesthetic on lock. Great brother harmonies.

lord quas

So... Will Oldham and Merle Haggard are two of my favorite things and that is why Best Troubadour is the best album this year so far, so I urge everybody to listen to it (check this out, which strictly spoken is neither a Merle cover nor on the actual album itself, but it's still great and the rest of the album is just as amazing).

I'm also absolutely obsessed by Alasdair Roberts/Appendix Out as of late. Anybody else into his music? The Crook of My Arm has become one of my favorite albums ever. Does anybody know of any similarly traditional Scottish/Irish folk music influenced artists?

HiResDes

It's decent would rather hear new Oldham, like him more honestly mostly because he doesn't have stupid ass songs like Okie from Muskogee

New LCD Soundsystem album is completely done then. Sounds like we can expect it in about 2 months.

Dunno about that, James said he'll delay the album a few months until the printing houses can print the albums LP to be in stores upon release. If that's the case, the album will definitely get leaked I'd say.

King_Moc

Banned
Dunno about that, James said he'll delay the album a few months until the printing houses can print the albums LP to be in stores upon release. If that's the case, the album will definitely get leaked I'd say.

Did you see their Facebook post today? They said it was potentially doable in 6 weeks, but probably a little longer.

Did you see their Facebook post today? They said it was potentially doable in 6 weeks, but probably a little longer.

Didn't read the whole thing, just got the select quotes off NME earlier. If so that's promising, an LCD Soundsystem album at the end of summer would do nicely

It's decent would rather hear new Oldham, like him more honestly mostly because he doesn't have stupid ass songs like Okie from Muskogee

I realized at some point a few years ago that I'm just tired of Oldham's shtick. I used to be a huge fan of his back in the day, have basically all of his singles on vinyl, etc. But he hasn't really progressed as an artist at all. Yeah this cover album is decent. I was never a big Merle Haggard fan to begin with though, and these songs don't really shed new light on them. That flute is also something I cannot abide.

Although they're not directly comparable, Bill Callahan has kept me far more interested throughout the years.

thabiz

Another killer release from these guys.

Also digging the kite base record. Ayse Hassan of the Savages is one half of the band. Much better than the last Savages record for sure.

faridmon

A
Also digging the kite base record. Ayse Hassan of the Savages is one half of the band. Much better than the last Savages record for sure.

Yeah, its enjoyable, but your opinion is wrong. Last year Savages was amazing and one of the best last year.

Top Bottom