• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Injustice 2 Roster Discussion & Speculation Thread

Marvel

could never
Since we never got Dr. Octopus in MvC3/UMvC3 (or Omega Red) Brainiac looks like what I'd imagine a character with mechanical tentacles to look. I like this game more and more because it's also igniting an interest in DC lore something I'd never really researched before.

Is the Poison Ivy stream archived yet? I just caught the end when they were playing vs.
Yup, he's my Doc Oc fix I guess.

Should they be unlocked from the get go? I don't actually know how any of the gear shit works right now to be honest. I want it to be fair, but also provide incentive for investing time grinding for the gear in the first place.

Assuming the gear system hasn't changed from the beta:

Each character has an individual level that increases with experience gained from fights and five loadouts that can be customised to equip them with gear, shaders and custom special moves. These loadouts can be chosen from the character select screen.

Every match (except for local vs. and one or two other modes) rewards you with a random piece of gear, a shader or custom special move. The higher the character's level, the better the gear.

Furthermore, as well as being able to disable level interactions and transitions, you can also disable stats gained from equipped gear before each match.

bubumiao

Assuming the gear system hasn't changed from the beta:

Each character has an individual level that increases with experience gained from fights and five loadouts that can be customised to equip them with gear, shaders and custom special moves. These loadouts can be chosen from the character select screen.

Every match (except for local vs. and one or two other modes) rewards you with a random piece of gear, a shader or custom special move. The higher the character's level, the better the gear.

Furthermore, as well as being able to disable level interactions and transitions, you can also disable stats gained from equipped gear before each match.

So you can still wear gear for the cosmetic effect (with no additional moves/buffs?)

In ranked gear and abilities are turned off by default in online VS matches there's an option to turn off the gear but you both have to agree.

J-Tier

Since we never got Dr. Octopus in MvC3/UMvC3 (or Omega Red) Brainiac looks like what I'd imagine a character with mechanical tentacles to look. I like this game more and more because it's also igniting an interest in DC lore something I'd never really researched before.
I personally imagined Doc Oct to be suspended in the air, crawling around with his tentacles like legs, and doing a bunch of complex moves like thrusting his body forward with his tentacles to do a kick, crane machine grab from above, etc.

Brainiac seems to be more of a tech character that also happens to have a few tentacle attacks vs a character who's entire shtick is tentacles.

Marvel

could never
No one will agree to turn it off outside of Ranked. I always request interactables be switched off in mkx ranked, no one does lol

I personally imagined Doc Oct to be suspended in the air, crawling around with his tentacles like legs, and doing a bunch of complex moves like thrusting his body forward with his tentacles to do a kick, crane machine grab from above, etc.

Brainiac seems to be more of a tech character that also happens to have a few tentacle to attacks vs a character who's entire shtick is tentacles.

Like Marvel Heroes Online. If Doc Oct featured in a Marvel fighter, that's what I'd expect as well.

Pac3y

Looking to place a pre-order, but i'm unsure on platform as of yet. Has there been any confirmed PS4 Pro enhancements at all?

Marvel

could never
I LOVE that gear move for Catwoman (low whip into EX) that stomp man. Dammit I will rarely ge to see see this cool shit.

vg260

Brainiac seems to be more of a tech character that also happens to have a few tentacle attacks vs a character who's entire shtick is tentacles.

I imagined the same.

My hope for MvCI is for Doc Ock to be a big-body character like Sentinel because he is carried by his tentacles. He would be like a giant spider with the area taken up by his tentacles acting as his body with hit boxes.

Tyaren

Has there been any confirmed PS4 Pro enhancements at all?

Yeah, I asked about Pro enhancements several times before, also directly NR Studios and team on Twitter, no answer. :/
I hope the complete lack of communication doesn't mean there aren't any enhancements.
They could at least up the resolution and hopefully allow downsampling. I noticed the IQ of the game isn't the best on PS4 in 1080p. There is definitely aliasing going on.

I hope the single player campaign is as deep and amazing as the first game was.

I know a lot of people feel that MKX's single player was a step down from MK9

I imagined the same.

My hope for MvCI is for Doc Ock to be a big-body character like Sentinel because he is carried by his tentacles. He would be like a giant spider with the area taken up by his tentacles acting as his body with hit boxes.

I've seen many posts similar to yours, discussing Doc Ock as if he has been confirmed for MvCI. Is this true? I haven't been following the discussion of that game's roster.

vg260

I hope matchmaking has been tuned well enough to balance the difference in levels and gear. I'm 100% down with the gear system, but I don't want new players to be turned away from the game due to poor matchmaking. I suppose that's why there's an option to disable stat gains before matches begin though. We can choose whether we want to enable "beast" mode.

I have my doubts new players will stick with gear mode. My guess is a plenty of players initially but a huge drop off once other players get good and they start getting frustrated with stat mismatches. It's tough enough to get players to stick around after losing even when everyone has the same toolsets. Taking a huge combo plus losing even more damage on top due to stat bonuses is tough.
I've seen many posts similar to yours, discussing Doc Ock as if he has been confirmed for MvCI. Is this true? I haven't been following the discussion of that game's roster.
No, just wish listing. However, he was worked on for MvC3 and reportedly had a theme and concept art before getting scrapped for tech reasons, so people are optimistic.

Khezu

Levels auto scale to who you are fighting, so that aspect isn't really important.
It all comes down to the gear you have equipped.

Not really that big of a distinction, since the same problem is still there, but I'm still pointing it out for some reason.

I have my doubts new players will stick with gear mode. My guess is a plenty of players initially but a huge drop off once other players get good and they start getting frustrated with stat mismatches. It's tough enough to get players to stick around after losing even when everyone has the same toolsets. Taking a huge combo plus losing even more damage on top due to stat bonuses is tough.

I disagree. The gear system is going to be the carrot on a stick that keeps people coming back again and again. It's a completely transparent means of progression that enables new players who aren't as skilled as the regular members of the FC to keep up and improve. Not only are there immediate visible changes as you progress and equip gear, but also stat increases that offer a direct means of comparing yourself to others. Obviously there's still going to be a certain level of skill required.

No, just wish listing. However, he was worked on for MvC3 and reportedly had a theme and concept art before getting scrapped for tech reasons, so people are optimistic.

It'd make sense for them to retool that development towards the new game. I understand the optimism now.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
It'd make sense for them to retool that development towards the new game. I understand the optimism now.

Apparently he got cut because of technical issues they had with the engine, so that would make sense why he didn't become playable character in UMVC3, like Frank West did. Now they are working on MVCI, and they shouldn't have any technical issues with brand new engine and current gens' specs.

Apparently he got cut because of technical issues they had with the engine, so that would make sense why he didn't become playable character in UMVC3, like Frank West did. Now they are working on MVCI, and they shouldn't have any technical issues with brand new engine and current gens' specs.

Man, the developers are spinning so many plates in the design process. I hardly stop to think about the work involved in making everything come together for launch.

bubumiao

I disagree. The gear system is going to be the carrot on a stick that keeps people coming back again and again. It's a completely transparent means of progression that enables new players who aren't as skilled as the regular members of the FC to keep up and improve. Not only are there immediate visible changes as you progress and equip gear, but also stat increases that offer a direct means of comparing yourself to others. Obviously there's still going to be a certain level of skill required.

I've been wanting a fighting game/RPG hybrid for at least 10 or more years now and this is about as close to what I've been wanting as we might ever get (I'm not including Dissidia because it's not 2D).

I've been wanting a fighting game/RPG hybrid for at least 10 or more years now and this is about as close to what I've been wanting as we might ever get (I'm not including Dissidia because it's not 2D).

Me too. The fact that it's using one of my favourite IPs is a huge bonus. I'd love to see the gear system become a standard of NRS fighters, if not just the Injustice franchise.

vg260

Levels auto scale to who you are fighting, so that aspect isn't really important.
It all comes down to the gear you have equipped.

Not really that big of a distinction, since the same problem is still there, but I'm still pointing it out for some reason.

Maybe I'm still confused about the player versus character levels and how the matchmaking works in the final game. However when playing the beta there were times when I seemed to be evenly matched with another player but depending on what character they picked there could be a massive stat mismatch due to gear. That was not really satifying for me win or lose. I'm glass half-empty on how the usrabase will like it long-term, and think it won't lessen the typical quick exodus, but if I'm proven wrong, so be it.

In the final gane, do you choose your character before it matches you up?

Veedot

Anyone besides me wants this as a skin?

s-l500.jpg

Maybe I'm still confused about the player versus character levels and how the matchmaking works in the final game. However when playing the beta there were times when I seemed to be evenly matched with another player but depending on what character they picked there could be a massive stat mismatch due to gear. That was not really satifying for me win or lose. I'm glass half-empty on how the usrabase will like it long-term, and think it won't lessen the typical quick exodus, but if I'm proven wrong, so be it.

In the final gane, do you choose your character before it matches you up?

I imagine it won't change between the beta and launch. Matchmaking will be done based on your player level/rank, as opposed to character level.

sinkfla87

Like always, didn't want to post in here until I watched the stream lol. While I like Ivy's abilities I'm actually more than fine with her base move set. She looks amazing and is going to be a pain for people in tournaments, calling it now. That said, 90% of my playing online will be with gear enabled hahaha. So for everyone else cool with playing with gear enabled, hit me up!!! I can't wait for this game, not much longer now but still too long. I honestly don't think I've ever been this hyped about a game before. Catwoman looks better now, Deadshot I'm still kind of meh on. My mom's birthday is in 3 days, I should have asked for a birthday shoutout... I'm a bad son :(.

And I saw someone earlier mention that Steve posts here, is Steve the same sixteenbit I see posting every now and then in other threads? I've always wondered if it was him lol.

Like always, didn't want to post in here until I watched the stream lol. While I like Ivy's abilities I'm actually more than fine with her base move set. She looks amazing and is going to be a pain for people in tournaments, calling it now. That said, 90% of my playing online will be with gear enabled hahaha. So for everyone else cool with playing with gear enabled, hit me up!!! I can't wait for this game, not much longer now but still too long. I honestly don't think I've ever been this hyped about a game before. Catwoman looks better now, Deadshot I'm still kind of meh on. My mom's birthday is in 3 days, I should have asked for a birthday shoutout... I'm a bad son :(.

And I saw someone earlier mention that Steve posts here, is Steve the same sixteenbit I see posting every now and then in other threads? I've always wondered if it was him lol.

Happy Birthday to Sinkfla's Mum!

The gear system and customisation possibilities are going to so cherry. I've said it before, but I'm 100% down with it and I'd love to fight you on the regular with gear enabled.

We need to use the PS4 community to post screen captures of our best loadouts/custom looks once the game launches.

With Supergirl being introduced in the game's unveiling, being the face of 1 of 3 covers, and now this trailer, she might just be the one to ultimately save the day.

I figure it'll be her, Batman, and Superman all teaming up together after civil warring it up for a bit

With Supergirl being introduced in the game's unveiling, being the face of 1 of 3 covers, and now this trailer, she might just be the one to ultimately save the day.

I believe the developers said that Supergirl was going to be a major player, so it makes sense for her to receive so much focus in this game. She seems to be playing a similar role to Cassie Cage in MKX. A surrogate or POV character for new players who haven't experienced the story of the first game.

sinkfla87

Happy Birthday to Sinkfla's Mum!

The gear system and customisation possibilities are going to so cherry. I've said it before, but I'm 100% down with it and I'd love to fight you on the regular with gear enabled.

We need to use the PS4 community to post screen captures of our best loadouts/custom looks once the game launches.

Aww thank you! :)
I'm going to tell her happy birthday from you!
I think my PS4 is going to catch fire from how much I'm going to be playing so I'll always be online and down to play whenever you are available! The gear system is too much fun to not put time into. If there isn't going to be official tournaments using the gear system then I say let's host our own!

And that is a wonderful idea for the community. I haven't been online today so I wonder how many new people have jumped in on it. Is there any way to save a picture from the PS4 web browser to the system so I can update the background and all that? I couldn't find out how :(.

Edit: I kind of hope they don't make the end of the story too predictable and give us a last minute "oh shit" moment. Near the end of IJ1 This universe Batman says to alt Earth Batman that dying to stop Superman just might be his fate so I wonder if he will be the big death and maybe his sacrifice will show Superman that he is making a "human" decision that Clark says he's incapable of in issue 1 of the I2 comic.

Aww thank you! :)
I'm going to tell her happy birthday from you!
I think my PS4 is going to catch fire from how much I'm going to be playing so I'll always be online and down to play whenever you are available! The gear system is too much fun to not put time into. If there isn't going to be official tournaments using the gear system then I say let's host our own!

And that is a wonderful idea for the community. I haven't been online today so I wonder how many new people have jumped in on it. Is there any way to save a picture from the PS4 web browser to the system so I can update the background and all that? I couldn't find out how :(.

Edit: I kind of hope they don't make the end of the story too predictable and give us a last minute "oh shit" moment. Near the end of IJ1 This universe Batman says to alt Earth Batman that dying to stop Superman just might be his fate so I wonder if he will be the big death and maybe his sacrifice will show Superman that he is making a "human" decision that Clark says he's incapable of in issue 1 of the I2 comic.

This guide should help you save a picture via the web browser for the Community background!

Your speculation about Batman making a sacrifice of some kind is totally believable and would be an unexpected twist. Maybe we'll have to make that choice, if there are multiple paths/endings to the campaign. I do hope though, as you do, that the narrative isn't too predictable and there are some surprises to be found.

Poison Ivy looks a lot more fun than I thought. She's on my list of characters to try out.

I also will probably need to have a pocket Deadshot with the rocket jump special, because it's so cool that a classic FPS tactic is now in a fighting game.

Poison Ivy looks a lot more fun than I thought. She's on my list of characters to try out.

I also will probably need to have a pocket Deadshot with the rocket jump special, because it's so cool that a classic FPS tactic is now in a fighting game.

The rocket jump special stood out to me. It's a clever translation of another genre's mechanic.

Malrend

So what are the chances of seeing Metamorpho/Element Man or Beast Boy as DLC characters?

I seem to recall BB getting beaten within an inch of his life in the Injustice comics, but don't know if we were told that he had died afterwards.

So what are the chances of seeing Metamorpho/Element Man or Beast Boy as DLC characters?

I seem to recall BB getting beaten within an inch of his life in the Injustice comics, but don't know if we were told that he had died afterwards.
BB got killed in the nuke. Metamorpho was on Superman's side and got killed by Deathstroke IIRC.

Top Bottom