• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PokéBOMB: Pokémon X and Y for 3DS (Coming October 2013 WW) - Lord Fennekin Ascends

Best starter?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that and Pokemon world.
According to legend, of course.
I just don't like the mythology very much, to be honest. It's more interesting if all Pokémon, even Arceus, came from Mew. After scientists created Mew, everything just ran amok. I won't complain if that's how Game Freak sees it, though. That's like saying I wish Megaman Trigger was born human and only that.

Game Freak is like Quentin Tarantino. After 4 generations spent doing similar things within similar confines, both inevitably branch out to pastiche everything they were in love with from the start. So: going to NYC and then Paris is like going from Jackie Brown to Kill Bill and Inglorious Basterds. It sort of makes sense.

Kazerei

Banned
602943_285525491569402_1342264618_n.jpg

The red one's name is hard to say, even with Vook's pronunciation posted earlier, lol.

Meh, I wish the legendaries would have cool names to match, but whatever.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Heh, Xenmas and Yu Yevon

I just don't like the mythology very much, to be honest. It's more interesting if all Pokémon, even Arceus, came from Mew. I won't complain if that's how Game Freak sees it, though. That's like saying I wish Megaman Trigger was born human and only that.

Game Freak is like Quentin Tarantino. After 4 generations spent doing similar things within similar confines, both inevitably branch out to pastiche everything they were in love with from the start. So: going to NYC and then Paris is like going from Jackie Brown to Kill Bill and Inglorious Basterds. It sort of makes sense.

I like to imagine Arceus
made many mews

BowieZ

Banned
Has anyone done up fake box arts yet?

Interested to see how they'll contrast the shape of the logo letters with the legendaries.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
They actually acknowledged this in BW2. One of the NPCs mentions that Fly is amazing and you can fly on any pokemon that can learn it, "no matter how small they are."

An NPC also said that no matter how many people have Fly, a Pokemon can only carry one person thus the need for airplanes.

I just don't like the mythology very much, to be honest. It's more interesting if all Pokémon, even Arceus, came from Mew. After scientists created Mew, everything just ran amok. I won't complain if that's how Game Freak sees it, though. That's like saying I wish Megaman Trigger was born human and only that.

Can I have my Ontario as Django Unchained then? If it follows the same pattern of quality as Tarantino's films, it'll be the second best game in the series :3

Huge n00b here checking in. So I am differently going Froakie! Also my Gf has never played Pokemon before but it seems like she is willing to play if I buy here one. So I am assuming it would be best is I buy both X & Z right? Also, what exactly is the difference between X & Z??

Elider

Huge n00b here checking in. So I am differently going Froakie! Also my Gf has never played Pokemon before but it seems like she is willing to play if I buy here one. So I am assuming it would be best is I buy both X & Z right? Also, what exactly is the difference between X & Z??

I'm going to assume you mean X and Y. Yes, it would probably be the best if you got both.

We don't know the difference yet, but it's probably safe to assume that some Pokémon will be unique to their respective version.

I read a pretty interesting theory from someone on youtube that says that Xerneas is a terrestrial Pokemon because it references the horizontal plane X, Yvetal is an aerial Pokemon because it references the vertical plane Y, thus the possible Z version mascot may be a water legendary that represents depth.

Bagu

I read a pretty interesting theory from someone on youtube that says that Xerneas is a terrestrial Pokemon because it references the horizontal plane X, Yvetal is an aerial Pokemon because it references the vertical plane Y, thus the possible Z version mascot may be a water legendary that represents depth.
Didn't someone mention that in this thread? Either way, sounds plausible

Ran rp

Mind blown. But there's still the DNA in the Japanese logos. The X and Y will have double/multiple meanings?

zemumumumu_by_neoriceisgood-d5qxy4w.png

It will look like this.

Yveltal could be dragon/flying with fire and poison attacks as the Wyverns.

Xernaus i think is Psychic/Steel.

Well that would suck for Yveltat. Another x4 Ice weak dragon.

Psychic/Steel would be pretty awesome. IIRC Steel resists Dark, and Bug. That would negate all of the Psychic weaknesses. Only problem would be Earthquake, which could be fixed by Levitate. And Fire moves, but just stick him on a rain team.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Let me just say that I can't fuckin STAND Yveltal's design. Maybe if the tail wasn't the exact same design as the other two limbs/wings, it'd be better. But as is, it just literally looks like an anthropomorphized letter Y. "Then we put a head on it." UGH!!

Xerneas for president.

Wilbur

Banned
A friend sended me, not sure the source of the fanart... liked these especulations the most.

Why everyone is giving the frog a beard ?

If these were real, they'd be ridiculously good. Great fan art. Not one weak one there, as opposed to the disaster that is Emboar. Tepig was so promising as well

harmonize

Xerneas? His name is Xerneas, a name befit for a Persian God?

They just keep making my choice between the two easier and easier.

13283.gif

Meikiyou

I think the 3 legendary pokémon will be based on norns as the yveltal is based on wyvern/Nidhog, Xernaus is based on Eikþyrnir/Elk oh Hiis and the third one may be based on fenrir jormungandr or yggdrasyl itself.

Bagu

PSY・S;46236120 said:
Mind blown. But there's still the DNA in the Japanese logos. The X and Y will have double/multiple meanings?
The Wikipedia page for the ZW chromosome says some snakes have it. Make the third legendary a sea snake and now we got double meanings

Wiz

Xerneas sounds so badass. Like just imagine "You caught XERNEAS!" "Player sent out XERNEAS!" His cry should be it screaming its name in a deep tone.
I can imagine other Pokemon trembling at the sound of that name.

Just reconfirms my purchase of X.

Bagu

Xerneas sounds so badass. Like just imagine "You caught XERNEAS!" "Player sent out XERNEAS!" He's cry should be it saying his own name.

I can imagine other Pokemon trembling at the sound of that name.

Just reconfirms my purchase of X.
Only if it's voiced by Patrick Stewart

Meikiyou

Let me just say that I can't fuckin STAND Yveltal's design. Maybe if the tail wasn't the exact same design as the other two limbs/wings, it'd be better. But as is, it just literally looks like an anthropomorphized letter Y. "Then we put a head on it." UGH!!

Xerneas for president.

I can't see anthropomorphisation as it is a Bird/Dragon, not some kind of hominid

Neiteio

Xerneas for president.
I really dig Yveltal, and I wouldn't be surprised if you warmed up to it at some point, as well. (Seems to be how Pokemon designs go for many people, myself included -- see also, Chespin's rising popularity!)

Way I see it, the fact his "wings" and "tail" are all the same is rather unique. I think it's the "hook" to his design, very deliberately done to make him stand out from the rest. And I really wouldn't have seen the "Y" connection if not for his name and the game he appears in -- I'd just see an interesting silhouette, which is key to any good Pokemon design.

The fact his back is different from his underside is nice, too: Black on the back, with red diamond patterns, and red on the underside, with a sort of circulatory system pattern. Five claws on the tips of his wings and tails... Angular horns that recall Terrakion (much like how Xerneas recalls elements of Cobalion and Virizion, ironically)... Pointed snout and the black pattern around his eyes... All good.

Only element I don't quite dig about Yveltal, at this early stage, is his legs just seem to abruptly emerge from his bod... In that CGI shot, at least. But otherwise, I think he looks awesome. I was all about Xerneas at first, but I think I'm now in Camp Yveltal.

I just have to keep pronouncing his name. "Ee - VEL - tall!"

BowieZ

Banned
The Wikipedia page for the ZW chromosome says some snakes have it. Make the third legendary a sea snake and now we got double meanings
I'm pretty sure the Z will be a sea snake/eel legendary. An epic as fuck one. There's your Z shape.

Neiteio

I think is Froakie suppose to resemble this:
ov3Tk.png

5l6RJ.jpg
Question about Froakie: Where do people keep getting the "thief" or "ninja" connection from? Do one of his names in other languages translate to some combination of "frog" and "ninja" or something? I can see the visual resemblance, but I wouldn't have been looking for it if people weren't bringing it up, so I'm not sure if it's -really- the idea behind his character, or if we're just making shit up.

Meikiyou

Question about Froakie: Where do people keep getting the "thief" or "ninja" connection from? Do one of his names in other languages translate to some combination of "frog" and "ninja" or something? I can see the visual resemblance, but I wouldn't have been looking for it if people weren't bringing it up, so I'm not sure if it's -really- the idea behind his character, or if we're just making shit up.

His japanese name is foam frog

Santiako

It's the obvious visual resemblance to those japanese cartoon thieves.

Avixph

It just looks like the Japanese interpretation of a thief.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom