• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bulletstorm Demo Impressions | Up on XBL | [Update: PC Demo Soon]

SpokkX said:
three letters:
p o s
Way to intelligently contribute
Teknoman said:
What does that have to do with anything?
Their are a vocal group that if you shit on japanese the look or story of a japanese game will rip you apart but conversely if you like the dick tit gore stuff of a game like bulletstorm you are juvenille. Some of the that are ripping on the juvenille aspects of bulletstorm are the japanese defenders as well.

S1kkZ

Mdk7 said:
PS: i have only one complain... i know the single player will be terribly short, with this whole score thing they'll put in a 4 hours campaign and that's it. :(

the demo only shows the echo mode, the story mode will be different (bosses, cutscenes, less focus on combos, more "standard" )

Mdk7

S1kkZ said:
the demo only shows the echo mode, the story mode will be different (bosses, cutscenes, less focus on combos, more "standard" )
Really?
I'm truly glad to hear this.

I love this game, though I admit, I did not fall right into its lap like I did with Painkiller. Took me two playthroughs of the demo to sync up. Definitely soars way above the clouds at the edge of the atmosphere when it comes to the silly compound cursing and unlikely-but-fresh new language that's peppered everywhere in the dialogue and the demo-specific voice over. It's like a weird and super juvenile middle schooler's dream for a hybrid of THPS and Painkiller, or something. Fun and funny if you can dig it. I do very much dig it as an antidote to all of the self-serious FPS/actioners piled up out there. Gorgeous, too. Just gorgeous.

S1kkZ

Mdk7 said:
Really?
I'm truly glad to hear this.
yep. the echo mode takes segments from the campaign and strips out all the cutscenes and bosses. the focus is on score and combos. the combo system is still in place when you play the campaign (i think you can use the combo points to buy stuff).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
S1kkZ said:
yep. the echo mode takes segments from the campaign and strips out all the cutscenes and bosses. the focus is on score and combos. the combo system is still in place when you play the campaign (i think you can use the combo points to buy stuff).

As long as combos still play a large role in the campaign. The combos are the best part of this game.

Definity

Played it earlier. Loved it.
I thought the game play was fun and trying to find the best combo adds a unique spin on things.
Really looking forward to the co-op mode and all the skill shot insanity.
Day One.

Keio

For a Finer World
Dick tits WTF. Had fun racking up the combos, but the writing kills it. Enjoyable arcade action, though.

vocab

bhlaab said:
I loved Painkiller. Is this like painkiller?

God no. It's like Gears in First person, oh wait that's Unreal Tournament. Wait what? What the fuck is this game again? This game has no identity. I see no resemblance to People can Fly what so ever. It's just another one of those games on the good ol U3 engine. It really upsets me to see Epic + PCF, 2 capable developers putting out shit like this.

At least bullet sponge enemies are here. Hell yes.

This seems... OK. I haven't found that many combos yet so maybe I'm missing some of the fun. It's probably still a blast co-op with the right people though.

Xater

It actually looked and ran pretty good on PS3 but I don't think this game is for me.

The whole skillshot thing isn't really doing anything for me and if you remove that it's a pretty bad FPS.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
In concept it was nice, but for a game so intent on gunplay, it falls short. I had to turn off the auto aim, but it was still pretty bad. It feels like it was designed by a sheltered 12 year old kid.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
For some reason, I really enjoyed how absolutely juvenile it was. At least it reveled in it, rather than posturing as a MATOOR ACTION GAME.

I will probably get this.

Having fun with the demo. Looking for new combos, and other cool environmental interactions. That's half the fun of the game. Hope the full game has plenty to go around. I think I'll be picking it up.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't like anything about it, with the exception of how it focuses your attention on each individual opponent. That was one of the most interesting things about RE4 and NG/B. They pair it down, even if it's only slightly, so that every enemy requires at least some focus, as appose to a lot of shooters where every single enemy feels the same.

I don't think this is a good game, but if a good shooter takes that focus from here, I'd be very interested to play it.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I keep holding down L3 to run :D

Anyway, I don't know how the 360 version runs, but the PS3 one looks fantastic. Very smooth and surprisingly clean.

I did 7020 points on my 3rd try. Thought it was a good score as I ranked 186 but then I saw the QA guys scores. LOL 15.555 points. How? :D

Would be a better game with Move :p

To me it felt..sluggish. And I couldn't think of any "awesome" combos. I felt like I did a lot and then reverted back to shooting in the head.

Nizz

TTP said:
I keep holding down L3 to run :D

Anyway, I don't know how the 360 version runs, but the PS3 one looks fantastic. Very smooth and surprisingly clean.

I did 7020 points on my 3rd try. Thought it was a good score as I ranked 186 but then I saw the QA guys scores. LOL 15.555 points. How? :D

Would be a better game with Move :p
Haha, so did I! At least default shooting/aiming is L1/R1 (thank God). I went with the "alternate" button layout where kick is on the right stick and crouch is on circle. I can't speak for the 360 version but the PS3 version looks great. Runs nicely too! For some reason I thought the pace of the game would be more similar to UT3. It plays a little slower but I was having some fun with putting together combos.

S1kkZ

Game2Death said:
To me it felt..sluggish. And I couldn't think of any "awesome" combos. I felt like I did a lot and then reverted back to shooting in the head.
have you seen the tutorial video?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
purple cobra said:
Haha, so did I! At least default shooting/aiming is L1/R1 (thank God). I went with the "alternate" button layout where kick is on the right stick and crouch is on circle.

Yep. Crouch (toggle) on Circle for me as well.

skyfinch

Fun game but not a day one type of game for me. Demo felt a bit like a "special mode" in other FPS games where you ignore storyline and rack up points.

I did like the inclusion of "dick-tits". This is something my mom used to call me.

S1kkZ

skyfinch said:
Fun game but not a day one type of game for me. Demo felt a bit like a "special mode" in other FPS games where you ignore storyline and rack up points.
thats because it is a special mode. did nobody watch the tutorial video?

X26

Banned
I enjoyed it, although I felt like I was missing out on a lot of what you can do, since all my score combos were pretty identical

Better than expected, but I didnt expect much lol. It looks like enslaved, I think the main guy voiced the tutorial as well. Sound mix seemed off to me, notably dialogue, but maybe its my centre speaker, I might have damaged it doing audio tests >_<

mrgone

Any word if the stuff the demo's supposed to unlock will be available on the PC version of the game? (Is that stuff even worth thinking about?)

JoeFenix

PS3 version looks the same but runs worse, frame-tearing galore, definitely still fun and playable but if you have the choice go for 360 for this one.

GavinGT

Banned
I saw this coming from the trailers. Who was really asking for such ridiculous dialogue? Even my ten year old self would've written this off as misguided and appalling.

Top Bottom