• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT13| Diamond is Unreachable

TheFlow

Banned
Maybe someday Janna will finally get some tuning to bring her in line. Mage supports make too much money and are far too overbearing on bot lane right now, though.

Back in the day, mage supports used to be okay because they fell off so hard as they didn't make enough gold to actually get more AP. So they defaulted into utility as the game progressed and they eventually were out-scaled by traditional supports or tank supports. And all was good.

Now gold generation by mage supports is getting out of control. The way spellthief's works, mage supports are able to constantly get gold procs by throwing long range harass onto enemies throughout every stage of the game to keep their gold generation curves smooth. Tanks fall off over the same time period as they have to have another teammate nearby to get procs, and trying to get procs during laning = free harass and procs from the enemy bot lane. Traditional supports don't have this same problem as they have the benefit of being ranged.

Now mage supports get more gold. You would think this isn't a problem, because their power curve is still behind most solo mages, but it is. I look at champion.gg, and the first items all mage supports get after the mandatory Sightstone + Boots are all the same. Rylai's & Liandry's. This duo of items have the some amazing synergy. They're relatively cheap after the Rylai's changes, and they get so much free scaling because they scale off of enemy health. Mages with this duo are able to scale much harder into late game and impact games just through raw damage rather than tankiness or utility like traditional supports. I really hope they do something about that duo, it's getting out of hand.
This guy sums it up. Mage suports are better to climb solo q right now. Can't play mid? Just take Annie, malz or Zyra bot. Vel, brand, / and ori seem to be played not as well. Tanks still rekt late game though.

Also played against my first Camille ever and guess what role she was support.

I did great till she ulted. Couldn't get out. We won of course and then hit her with that gg ez :p.

Yeah, let's make the available pool of supports even smaller, that'll make more players want to play the role.

Maokai is like 99% confirmed for a rework in the tank update.
Solo lane rejects being the meta did nothing as far as support role popularity goes. Support will never be popular in its current state because people just don't like the idea of not being the stars of the show and no amount of viable picks and broken-ass item actives will change that, so either we can weed out the shit that ruins the fun of people that actually give a shit about bot lane or just change what being a support means altogether to appease autofilled people.

Yeah, let's make the available pool of supports even smaller, that'll make more players want to play the role.

Maokai is like 99% confirmed for a rework in the tank update.

How? They said that the tank reworks would be focused on Vanguard/ Engage tanks like the Mummy and the Rock.

Mao is considered a warden. I could see him getting touched by the rework like Fiddle in the mage rework but I don't see anything saying he would be a biggy.

Newt

HORRORSHØW;230150837 said:
anyone want to play with a silver 3 scrub?

i like to feed with fiora

ign is HORRORSHOVV with 2 Vs
I'll add you. I'm sure you'll be an improvement over these other GAF animals.

zkylon

zkylewd
i think my dream league related game would be an x-men legends style game where you play coop missions with your friends just beating up bad guys as league champions

Newt

Yeah the inhouse was painful yesterday when Ghost kept feeding with champs like Kennen.
Even though Talents can only play a small pool of champs and basically just feeds on everything else, it's cool he plays on NA sometimes now lol.

i think my dream league related game would be an x-men legends style game where you play coop missions with your friends just beating up bad guys as league champions
Yeah that would be cool.

Finally got to play another support game. Thankfully I was able to keep my team's assassin Maokai alive in most of the fights.

f13f53d4c7257d412063fd1cde01ef4f.jpg

Leezard

That moment when you get an autofilled adc and the enemy has a strong lane in Draven + Nami, but the Draven/Nami weakness is when their enemies just play passive and miss cs instead of giving Draven kills. Boring lane, but non-snowbally Draven is easy to deal with.

TheFlow

Banned
That moment when you get an autofilled adc and the enemy has a strong lane in Draven + Nami, but the Draven/Nami weakness is when their enemies just play passive and miss cs instead of giving Draven kills. Boring lane, but non-snowbally Draven is easy to deal with.
How do I get good with lulu!? I love her skins but I suck with her

Also is it good to build frost Queen all the way on nami? I have been doing it for about 2 seasons but I notice more people just mix sightstone and their first gold item.

Also nami was banned in the LCS yesterday in Match. Couldn't believe it. Peopel are starting to give her some respect

Leezard

Basically the laning phase is the hardest part, since her team fight capabilities are really easy due to point and click spells.

In lane you need to identify if you can be aggressive, and if you can you will need to trade with a lot of autos. If the enemy is a weak trader you can E them and auto once or twice, follow up with a Q if you don't need to conserve mana.

If the enemy is a strong trader but mainly relies on one spell, E yourself for the shield to block their damage and get one or two autos in, maybe a Q.

If the enemy is ahead or you're simply too weak to trade, just Q them and run away when they try to approach you. Try to block as much damage as possible with E.

E>W>Q is nice for most cases. Sometimes if you have a stronger lane than the opponent (= don't need to use shield in trades at all) and an auto-attack reliant adc you can go 2 or 3 points in Q and then max W, letting E be the last. It's heavily reliant on the team and how the game is going though, E max is safer.

For later in the game you just need to identify who needs your W/E/R the most. It might be the adc, it might be the midlaner, it might be the toplaner or even the jungler. Only get Ardent Censer if you have an auto-attack reliant adc who can actually use it well such as cait or jinx, it's pointless to get it for Lucian/Jhin.

Also is it good to build frost Queen all the way on nami? I have been doing it for about 2 seasons but I notice more people just mix sightstone and their first gold item.

Also nami was banned in the LCS yesterday in Match. Couldn't believe it. Peopel are starting to give her some respect

Nah just get Eye of the Watcher's. There are so many items you want right now that I think you really need the Eye instead of paying a lot for FQC.

JulianImp

AFAIK, Lulu's a bit hard to get good with since she relies a lot more on her teammates doing stuff while she disrupts the enemy team with her buffs/debuffs. E into Q is good for getting tlord procs, but it also eats your mana up really fast and drops your shield, so you have to use it wisely and sparringly. I still can't be all that aggressive with her, so she's mostly a champ that helps my teammates not die, which is why I favor Nami over her (since Nami can do more things by herself IMO).

I'm not as keen on her as I used to, but I'd say she does well when you've got at least one champ in your team that loves walking into opponents (ie: assassins, Mao, Malph, Amumu, etc.), since they can often lead to juicy ults. Other than that, I'd probably go Karma over her most of the time.

Leezard

Also, I'd get windspeakers most of the time on Lulu. Tlords falls off really hard and is only worth it if you can win lane hard.

Especially if you're facing a tough lane and maxing E you're gonna want that windspeakers.

I think Lulu is really nice right now in solo queue since assassins are common.

edit: bonus points that she's good against Malz.

drawkcaB

How? They said that the tank reworks would be focused on Vanguard/ Engage tanks like the Mummy and the Rock.

Mao is considered a warden. I could see him getting touched by the rework like Fiddle in the mage rework but I don't see anything saying he would be a biggy.

They actually went through the trouble of using his image in the post.

Our next class update is Divers! Adds picture of Nami.

Also, they just about Olaf'ed Maokai on the PBE. That's always been a clear sign that a kit rework of some scope is on the way.

The specific wording used with regards to Amumu:

They all are basically different versions of Amumu—they go in, do some AOE CC, then stand around doing ambient damage to the enemy team

makes me think Amumu will have very minor touch-ups at most, and likely nothing at all. It's seems like they're saying Amumu is fine, what isn't fine is that other tanks in the group are just different variations of Amumu. The class updates are about finding strategic niches for champions to differentiate them...well, that and applying crappy band-aid fixes to problematic champions that actually need full-on, carefully thought out reworks.

disagree, support is one of the most diverse and well balanced class in the game, with options for fans of all kinds of champions with very different strengths and weaknesses and interesting itemization and everything. definitely not perfect but way better than other roles like adc or jungle. i'd say support should be as good as mid at least when they remove those champions

Two counter-arguments:

1.) For all the whining, carry supports aren't dominating win rates in solo queue/non-competitive play, and haven't been throughout the entire meta. Players all too often conflate pro play and non-pro play. Pro play is a game where tiny advantages are way more often than not worth pursuing, and it has an effect of warping perceptions of all levels of play. If all you see is Zyra, Malz, etc. in pro play, it can give the impression that these champions are infinitely better than anything else available, but that simply isn't the truth, they're a tiny bit better, and we can verify that with the win rate numbers, as well as match-up win rates, of these champions across all skill levels.

Support is already as diverse, if not more, than any other lane in the game. Stop trying to fuck it up.

2.) It's better for strategic diversity. Being able to plant an off-carry damage dealer in the bot lane opens up the possibility of utility mages being played in the mid position. This game doesn't need less options, it needs more.

TheFlow

Banned
Thanks guys for the liking tips and yea I am going to run eye of the watcher for now on. I also started running ardent for adcs like jinx. I just love building it.

zkylon

zkylewd
makes me think Amumu will have very minor touch-ups at most, and likely nothing at all. It's seems like they're saying Amumu is fine, what isn't fine is that other tanks in the group are just different variations of Amumu. The class updates are about finding strategic niches for champions to differentiate them...well, that and applying crappy band-aid fixes to problematic champions that actually need full-on, carefully thought out reworks.
i don't think they mean that, i think they're just using amumu as an example for how understandable his pattern of "do nothing and then land one spell into ult" gameplay pattern is

i would really hope amumu gets changes as his w and e are ridiculously samey, his passive is the kind of passive people don't even know it exists (even tho it's probably hella strong) and he has an absurd amount of dmg for a tank

i just think they're going like amumu, malphite, sejuani, zac, etc. play more or less the same

i wouldn't read too hard into the example

Two counter-arguments:

1.) For all the whining, carry supports aren't dominating win rates in solo queue/non-competitive play, and haven't been throughout the entire meta. Players all too often conflate pro play and non-pro play. Pro play is a game where tiny advantages are way more often than not worth pursuing, and it has an effect of warping perceptions of all levels of play. If all you see is Zyra, Malz, etc. in pro play, it can give the impression that these champions are infinitely better than anything else available, but that simply isn't the truth, they're a tiny bit better, and we can verify that with the win rate numbers, as well as match-up win rates, of these champions across all skill levels.

Support is already as diverse, if not more, than any other lane in the game. Stop trying to fuck it up.

2.) It's better for strategic diversity. Being able to plant an off-carry damage dealer in the bot lane opens up the possibility of utility mages being played in the mid position. This game doesn't need less options, it needs more.
you have a point for both, but champions like mid lulu and zilean and karma have been played without the need for an off-mage to exist

i take issue with off-mages because it's not their kit that makes them ideal to being off mage supports, it's their numbers

i don't like this because it makes em really hard to balance, it also makes them to be really shit midlaners and idk, maybe it's just me but it feels really unearned that support zyra deals comparable dmg (and often higher, depending on the stage of the game) while having fewer damage items and being lower level level and without needing to take any extra risks for it

i think i would be ok with an off-mage if they were designed for it rather than being midlane rejects

sort of like kindred or graves were designed to be off-adcs. not perfect either but i prefer that

faridmon

I wish they just remade Kindred. Her kit is awfully inbalanced and the fact she have been nerfed to death is kind of sad.

zkylon

zkylewd
my problem with kindred was always her e

the mix of absurd damage and the strong point and click slow combined with her high mobility made her ganks really frustrating and a flash or die thing

it's also a really boring and uninspired spell that doesn't do anything cool with the character concept

rest of her kit i think is pretty alright, tho i don't feel great about her w having that trundle w esque thing of "here's this circle in which i'm stronger than you" gameplay

JulianImp

The feeling when you look up your mid laner on op.gg and you see this

Gotta be thankful that the match he played with you he actually did carry rather than feed, though.

I'm still digging Yorick as my go-to toplaner, but fear that his usefulness will go down once people start not blindly walking into my W and not even trying to attack it to get away, or being dumb when I splitpush to divert their attention (or take towers if they happen to ignore me). Regardless of enemy skill, I think I can see his shortcomings: He's immobile, but lacks the explosive damage of Darius if he does catch up to you, and he won't be poking or annoying you from afar unlike GP. He appears to be good at splitpushing, but at the same time I often want my ult to help me beat on champions rather than making her push a lane by herself (which has been kind of ineffective for me so far).

I'm still kind of happy that I got a random skin for him from my latest chest, even though it's just undertaker. Also, his latin VO is pretty cool compared to the English one IMO, which is nice since I'm now stuck with the latin voices, anyway (except for champion select, which still uses the JP voices for some reason).

As for ranked soloq, I ended up going 2-0 in promos and got into B4! LP gains in soloq have been 25+ for each win so far, so climbing has been a lot easier for me than in flex.

Wow. Just loaded up a random game after taking a break for nearly a week on Ranked. We were absolutely wrecking the other team, and we managed to throw. It was obvious halfway through the game we were throwing by going in 1 at a time instead of waiting for team to fight. And I said it to everyone. Three times. And our Kled, and Fizz, and Kha'zix went in again and again and again, one after another. I'm not great at League, but I don't understand how elementary logic like that doesn't kick in for people.

Time for another short League break. Be back in a week or two.

Ever

Banned
Wow. Just loaded up a random game after taking a break for nearly a week on Ranked. We were absolutely wrecking the other team, and we managed to throw. It was obvious halfway through the game we were throwing by going in 1 at a time instead of waiting for team to fight. And I said it to everyone. Three times. And our Kled, and Fizz, and Kha'zix went in again and again and again, one after another. I'm not great at League, but I don't understand how elementary logic like that doesn't kick in for people.

Time for another short League break. Be back in a week or two.

At that rate, you'll get like 20 games a season.

duppolo

i come from dota, but i want something more relaxed: how many time does a lol game require to play? i never play it cause i want all the hero and the runing system seems bad to me...how many time before i can play with the right runex, etc.? also id ont want to pay but i feel like when i will have free money to spend i will unlock heroes, never runes...should i install it or not?

Top Bottom