• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT2| I'd Rather Watch The EUROS Than Play

Playing 1s and I notice the guy's name is Espeon... Look at the scoreboard and sure enough he's got the RLCS tag, haha. Turns out it was one of his placement games. I lost 8-7 in OT but I'm pretty sure he wasn't going all out most of the game. Chatted with him a bit, he seems like a super nice dude.

Pepiope

Playing 1s and I notice the guy's name is Espeon... Look at the scoreboard and sure enough he's got the RLCS tag, haha. Turns out it was one of his placement games. I lost 8-7 in OT but I'm pretty sure he wasn't going all out most of the game. Chatted with him a bit, he seems like a super nice dude.
Yeah he's really chill. One of the nicer pros in the community. At least to my knowledge.

What do those Silhouettes look like? I guess just rare painted version of the standard cars?
api4l8isz__81814.1486051969.jpg

I need to get someone to help me with kickoffs sometime... My old ones just aren't working anymore, especially in 1s. I lose possession on 80% of kickoffs and give up too many kickoff goals.

Soulflarz

Banned
I need to get someone to help me with kickoffs sometime... My old ones just aren't working anymore, especially in 1s. I lose possession on 80% of kickoffs and give up too many kickoff goals.
A) you do a slow kickoff (you need to always roll as you approach, sucks to learn, but yeah)
B) you aren't centered and rolling through the center
C) you're misinterpreting how much time you have/what you should be doing after the kickoff based on where you/opponent/ball went, this is almost always the main one

pick your poison, fix all 3 and congrats you're scrub

A) you do a slow kickoff (you need to always roll as you approach, sucks to learn, but yeah)
B) you aren't centered and rolling through the center
C) you're misinterpreting how much time you have/what you should be doing after the kickoff based on where you/opponent/ball went, this is almost always the main one

pick your poison, fix all 3 and congrats you're scrub
I watched Johnny's tutorial and it pretty much says the same stuff so I'm trying to focus on learning a new kickoff. I still don't have the timing down quite right, feel like I'm getting there too late most of the time, even against players who aren't using fast kickoffs.

Soulflarz

Banned
I watched Johnny's tutorial and it pretty much says the same stuff so I'm trying to focus on learning a new kickoff. I still don't have the timing down quite right, feel like I'm getting there too late most of the time, even against players who aren't using fast kickoffs.

If you're late to non fast kickoffs, you're severely botching your roll+boost timing, which is bad in general, since you should be boosting when you roll pretty much always when you're not needing the boost (ie, when movement>boost) since it's faster.

Look at who gets the first touch- if you're outright beating them by a mile, it's good to know how to do a basic fast kickoff, where you beat them to the ball and hit it to the side before they even get there- combining this with a ceiling shot or wallshot->backboard in 1s would be a free goal every kickoff if they never got faster. This is a lot less useful at higher level, the most common occurence of it I see is when someone kinda botches their diagonal and says f it and hopes they get it by maybe 5 frames.
Otherwise just try to get there with speed+roll center, if you're not beating them by a mile and hitting it into them way out and you're able to roll into the ball relatively centered, you'll usually win :D

If you're late to non fast kickoffs, you're severely botching your roll+boost timing, which is bad in general, since you should be boosting when you roll pretty much always when you're not needing the boost (ie, when movement>boost) since it's faster.

Look at who gets the first touch- if you're outright beating them by a mile, it's good to know how to do a basic fast kickoff, where you beat them to the ball and hit it to the side before they even get there- combining this with a ceiling shot or wallshot->backboard in 1s would be a free goal every kickoff if they never got faster. This is a lot less useful at higher level, the most common occurence of it I see is when someone kinda botches their diagonal and says f it and hopes they get it by maybe 5 frames.
Otherwise just try to get there with speed+roll center, if you're not beating them by a mile and hitting it into them way out and you're able to roll into the ball relatively centered, you'll usually win :D
Okay so I think this post changed my RL life...

I've always played with boost on circle and jump on x and I can't press them at the same time comfortably. I knew this had a slight impact on my aerial launch and wasn't 100% ideal but I lived with it. However, I had no idea it was also hurting my normal flips around the field. Yesterday I changed boost to square and played around long enough to get used to it. The difference is... significant. My kickoffs are fixed, I can launch off the wall for wall shots quicker, I have a better understanding of how ground to air dribble situations work... it's nuts.

I've watched a lot of pros play and it always seemed like they could move a little faster than me for some reason. Now I know why.

Tawpgun

Okay so I think this post changed my RL life...

I've always played with boost on circle and jump on square and I can't press them at the same time comfortably. I knew this had a slight impact on my aerial launch and wasn't 100% ideal but I lived with it. However, I had no idea it was also hurting my normal flips around the field. Yesterday I changed boost to square and played around long enough to get used to it. The difference is... significant. My kickoffs are fixed, I can launch off the wall for wall shots quicker, I have a better understanding of how ground to air dribble situations work... it's nuts.

I've watched a lot of pros play and it always seemed like they could move a little faster than me for some reason. Now I know why.

I've been curious about this. I have the default control scheme too. Do the "pros" switch their control schemes? Similar to how in Halo Bumper Jumper is the GOAT (but I could never get used to it)

Pepiope

I've been curious about this. I have the default control scheme too. Do the "pros" switch their control schemes? Similar to how in Halo Bumper Jumper is the GOAT (but I could never get used to it)
Most people switch their controller scheme. I have mine at default but I use paddles so it doesn't bother me. Boost on B and roll on X is terrible though.

Most people switch their controller scheme. I have mine at default but I use paddles so it doesn't bother me. Boost on B and roll on X is terrible though.
Paddles is probably the GOAT setup for RL but without them here's the best I've found:

Change boost from circle (b) to square (x).
Change air roll to L1 (left bumper)
Change handbrake to L1 (left bumper)

I think some people use R1 for boost but with R2 being accelerate I feel like that'd be tough for me.

EDIT: Just realized I said jump on square in my original post, lol. That would be truly awful. I played with boost on circle, jump on x.

Tawpgun

I changed my roll to one of the bumpers, powerslide on X, boost on b jump on A seems ok for me. I can hit both A and B and the same time if need be.

There are lists of Pro's camera settings, I wonder if they have control settings too.

Soulflarz

Banned
it's important but not game changing tbh
kux uses default

if you don't have 1000+ hours of muscle memory though please don't keep air roll and boost both on face buttons, it's more of a hassle than anything.

it's important but not game changing tbh
kux uses default

if you don't have 1000+ hours of muscle memory though please don't keep air roll and boost both on face buttons, it's more of a hassle than anything.
Kux uses default but he probably contorts his thumb to hit multiple buttons at once. Try some kickoffs without holding boost down on your flip then tell me it isn't game changing! Also all the ground to air dribbles you do are almost impossible if you can't jump while holding boost. I have a friend who uses circle+x but he uses the top of his thumb and has no trouble hitting both buttons at the same time so if you can do that you're fine. For me it just feels too awkward.

Soulflarz

Banned
well yeah if you can't hold X and O at the same time you're screwed

idk I'm used to it, I do it with just my thumb, plenty of games I can claw though so it's fine :p

well yeah if you can't hold X and O at the same time you're screwed

idk I'm used to it, I do it with just my thumb, plenty of games I can claw though so it's fine :p
It's not hard for me to hold them at the same time but it feels weird to double tap x while holding circle unless I do it with the tip of my thumb which is not my default hand position. Just not used to it. I think I'm gonna try R1 for boost and see if I can get used to using my middle finger for accel on R2. Square for boost works pretty well but I am not 100% on my x double taps still.

Soulflarz

Banned
honest advice- we all have bad days, expect to throw rank hard.

This is why I have 300 games in solo standard and I'm mid plat- because I'm not insane enough to throw 2 promotions in doubles every time I'm tired and going 0-2 and I don't care about that rank, so awful days I just play solo standard for braindead fun.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Nah, I think I know what's up here:
Every time I win a lot of matches it is against players under my skill level.
Every time I lose a lot of matches it happens to be against players over my skill level.
This stuff is happening in Diamond 1. This tells me that a lot of people witch different skill-sets are stuck around that rank.

+Why am I coming back to this game? I could've completed a lot of games from my backlog this past year.

Edit: It's days like this, when I lose more than 90% of matches, I don't want to believe that I can't win more of them, but I keep losing and digging deeper while staring at my screen with utmost disbelief.

I have an estimated playtime of 470 hours on Xbox One. Since they added the "Time Played" stat during one of the recent updates, I accumulated 1 Day and 14 hours of playtime. This game consumes too much of my time and I somehow hate it because of that.

Soulflarz

Banned
Diamond 1 is a very standardized rank atm. Im in champ now on my main (mainly cause I don't really intend to play all out till summer, havent notably grinded rank atm, hopefully i'd go up?) and thats a bit less so, it's not too rare to get a 1400+ mmr last season in your game, which is a free loss for whoever is against him. But diamond 1? Been through that 3 or 4 times now, can safely say that.

But diamond 1? Everyone has some major flaw. What that key flaw is, I can't say, but they do. This is why someone who only dribbles or flicks can maime you in 2s diamond 1 if youre not used to it but someone who primarily got there from aerials probably would not, just as an example.

Play to improve <3 rank grinding is legit worthless to everyone on this forum besides pep and laz- no one else is able to outright win until pros. I mean, I can somewhat hold my own against them in 2s (or just ask my top 50 friend to 2s with me on his smurf), but even when I win I feel less than comfortable and question how much of it was me.

And yes, ik the rank is worthless vs learning mentality speech is annoying as f to hear, but if you don't slip into that mindset you're probably just going to continue to hate rl every time you play it.

AcridMeat

Banned
I now split my time about 60/40 ranked/unranked but still enjoy those quick 1-2 matches of unranked I have here and there.

I don't know this is the best game ever for me. Never had a game I can just endlessly play in any mood, or play for 5 minutes and be happy.

Bollocks

game 7 lets go!!1111

e: can we now say that kro is not the goat anymore? missing 2/3 finals....

but denial really was on point today.

rafaelr

fuck, I'm sweating, after G2 I don't wan't the best EU team out as well.

true, don´t think it´d be good for viewership and rl esports in general if both of the biggest orgs are missing from the championship.

well, game7 and momentum seems to be shifting.

rafaelr

any console players playing with vsync on?
i tried to turn it off way back, but found it to be jittery and turned it back on.
tried turning it off again yesterday, and stuck with it for a while. i thought it had a perceptible effect on input lag. having a much easier time keeping the ball on top of the car in free training for example.

Soulflarz

Banned
any console players playing with vsync on?
i tried to turn it off way back, but found it to be jittery and turned it back on.
tried turning it off again yesterday, and stuck with it for a while. i thought it had a perceptible effect on input lag. having a much easier time keeping the ball on top of the car in free training for example.

you physically need vsync off to get good at rl- it adds too much input lag on it's own to be viable on pc, and on tv it adds enough on top of your tvs lag to make it unplayable past like, diamond 1 probably?

I'm not making this up- I can't play on console on a tv anymore for tv input lag and i can't play with vsync on. When I turned it off I could finally play faster and went from champ->gc in 5 days, I found out when laz was over and thought my pc was messed up only to find out I had vsync on like an idiot.

It's legit a gamechanger, keep it off forever.

you physically need vsync off to get good at rl- it adds too much input lag on it's own to be viable on pc, and on tv it adds enough on top of your tvs lag to make it unplayable past like, diamond 1 probably?

I'm not making this up- I can't play on console on a tv anymore for tv input lag and i can't play with vsync on. When I turned it off I could finally play faster and went from champ->gc in 5 days, I found out when laz was over and thought my pc was messed up only to find out I had vsync on like an idiot.

It's legit a gamechanger, keep it off forever.
But that screen tearing.....

Top Bottom