• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT2| I'd Rather Watch The EUROS Than Play

Soulflarz

Banned
But that screen tearing.....

-144hz
OR
-You get used to it (my option, since I have an IPS display and I don't wanna downgrade to a TN, so my only other option is like a 1440p 144hz ips @ $600 or something insane last I checked)

That or certain mechanics become near impossible beyond their most basic forms, like air dribbling.

you physically need vsync off to get good at rl- it adds too much input lag on it's own to be viable on pc, and on tv it adds enough on top of your tvs lag to make it unplayable past like, diamond 1 probably?

I'm not making this up- I can't play on console on a tv anymore for tv input lag and i can't play with vsync on. When I turned it off I could finally play faster and went from champ->gc in 5 days, I found out when laz was over and thought my pc was messed up only to find out I had vsync on like an idiot.

It's legit a gamechanger, keep it off forever.
^ 100% truth

-144hz
OR
-You get used to it (my option, since I have an IPS display and I don't wanna downgrade to a TN, so my only other option is like a 1440p 144hz ips @ $600 or something insane last I checked)

That or certain mechanics become near impossible beyond their most basic forms, like air dribbling.

Damn. It's really working. The screentearing is distracting but the game does feel much better. Is there a point at raising or unlocking my fps above 60 if I have a 60hz monitor?

ZeroSuitSheamus

Neo Member
Interesting timing on this discussion, as I just turned off vsync on PS4 recently and can vouch for all the improvements mentioned above--particularly the ability to keep the ball on your car when dribbling. It takes one play session to get used to the little bit of jitter, but it's smooth sailing after that.

Also, I just hit Platinum in 3s this weekend -- my first star rank ever. Could be a coincidence with the timing of the vsync thing, but it certainly didn't hurt.

I'll also advocate for turning your deadzone down a bit. Default is .3, and I've been slowly dropping mine down a tenth of a percentage until stopping at .22, which feels comfortable for now. I'm sure this isn't news for any of the veteran players around here, but I do believe these two things can really help intermediate players.

Soulflarz

Banned
^ayyy jetserpent clips! Man I remember when jetserpent was ba- oh wait no he's always been able to body me feelsbadman

Re: Deadzone- throw that down to .15 or so if you can. I use .13, a lot of pros use .1, it's also extremely useful. You can do everything with a higher deadzone, but why deal with less precision.

Damn. It's really working. The screentearing is distracting but the game does feel much better. Is there a point at raising or unlocking my fps above 60 if I have a 60hz monitor?

Hz+1/2

aka 61 or 62, iirc it looks a tiny bit better and doesn't really create any issues.
because of how frames are picked going above creates a bit of lag- when I had mine at 100ish, I had it ALMOST as bad as vsync, legit made me unable to improve for a couple weeks because my muscle memory for flicks was so off from what I was doing, probably wasted 80hr in game.

So to recap: always keep vsync off, and put your max fps in game 1 or 2 above what your monitor limit is.

edit: Also I'm really happy we're back to discussing applicable stuff. Honestly never really got the point of an OT being used to rant- it's no secret that even with bad games every now and then, your rank is relatively a good indicator of where you are. That is to say, I prefer when we're talking either about generalized news or improvement/strategy than uhh, "omg my teammates made me silver 2 again" that this thread was for 6 months <_>

ZeroSuitSheamus

Neo Member
Re: Deadzone- throw that down to .15 or so if you can. I use .13, a lot of pros use .1, it's also extremely useful. You can do everything with a higher deadzone, but why deal with less precision.

I had it down to .2 and was getting way more backflips than usual when double jumping, so I dialed it back up a bit. It's a bad habit I know I need to train out of my muscle memory, but this has helped for now.

Soulflarz

Banned
I had it down to .2 and was getting way more backflips than usual when double jumping, so I dialed it back up a bit. It's a bad habit I know I need to train out of my muscle memory, but this has helped for now.

Yeah, I'd honestly suggest going into unranked with .13 or so and playing an hour or two- you'll hate it at first, but when you try going back to what you had it'll feel awful and you'll be used to it. That's the general rule with sensitivity- it's why in COD and such on console so many people who wanted to get used to 7 put it on 10 for an hour or two, so their old 4 or 5 felt awful and slow so they had to use a middle ground.

Update 1.34
rl_neo_tokyo_new_action_2.c6e1dc555a6eff57c623d9877706c9a5.jpg

We're excited to announce that our next update for Rocket League is coming later this week -- Wednesday, May 10 at 3pm PDT to be exact! (That's 6pm EDT for our East Coast players, 12am CEDT on May 11 if you're in Europe, and 9am AEST if you're in Oceania.)

rl_neo_tokyo_new_4.jpg

Your feedback has been heard! &#8216;Neo Tokyo' is back, and we've redesigned it as a Standard Arena. We left the scenery untouched to maintain that futuristic metropolis look, while removing the parallel ramps on either side of the goals. &#8216;Neo Tokyo' will be returning to all Playlists, including Competitive, and will be available in Private matches as well.

For those who love the original &#8216;Neo Tokyo,' we have you covered! We are keeping the original Arena in Rocket League, but with a new name: &#8216;Tokyo Underpass.' This new name/old look Arena will be available in offline and Private matches only for now. &#8216;Tokyo Underpass' is also replacing the original &#8216;Underpass' map, which will be removed from the Rocket Labs rotation starting with this update.

rl_mantis_hero.jpg

A NEW BATTLE-CAR ENTERS THE ARENA!
Available only as a limited-drop inside our next Crate (more on that below), Mantis is a car many of you have been asking about since our Batman v Superman DLC update in 2016. Mantis is fully customizable and has an all-new look, but it uses the same low, flat hitbox, and turn radius as the Batmobile. We're also including six new Decals with Mantis: Arrowhead, Battleworn, Kaze, Maxx, Roasted, and Uproar.

NITROUS-POWERED CRATE DROPS
The new Nitro Crate includes the Mantis Battle-Car mentioned above, along with limited-drop Wheels, Decals, Rocket Trails, and Black Market customizations. See below for a sneak peek at some of the included items!

nitro_crate.jpg

COMING SOON: ZAG TOYS AND IN-GAME ITEMS
This week's update also includes the framework for in-game items tied to our Zag Toys Mini Pull-Back Racers! Once the blind-bag toys start hitting store shelves in June, Rare and Very Rare Pull-Back Racers will include unique codes redeemable for a set of in-game items. You can find out more about the Pull-Back Racers in our blog post from last week.

Curious to see what else is going into v1.34? We'll have full patch notes up on the blog before release on Wednesday. Stay tuned!

ZeroSuitSheamus

Neo Member
Yeah, I'd honestly suggest going into unranked with .13 or so and playing an hour or two- you'll hate it at first, but when you try going back to what you had it'll feel awful and you'll be used to it. That's the general rule with sensitivity- it's why in COD and such on console so many people who wanted to get used to 7 put it on 10 for an hour or two, so their old 4 or 5 felt awful and slow so they had to use a middle ground.

Not a bad suggestion. I might give that a try.

Lazulic

you physically need vsync off to get good at rl- it adds too much input lag on it's own to be viable on pc, and on tv it adds enough on top of your tvs lag to make it unplayable past like, diamond 1 probably?

I'm not making this up- I can't play on console on a tv anymore for tv input lag and i can't play with vsync on. When I turned it off I could finally play faster and went from champ->gc in 5 days, I found out when laz was over and thought my pc was messed up only to find out I had vsync on like an idiot.

It's legit a gamechanger, keep it off forever.

can confirm was immediately put off playing on his setup until we found out vsync was the problem. turn that shit off

Update 1.34 Patch Notes

ARENAS

“Neo Tokyo” has been updated with a Standard Arena layout, and is now available in all Playlists
The original “Neo Tokyo” has been renamed “Tokyo Underpass,” and is available to play in offline and private matches
rl_neo_tokyo_new_action_4.c6e1dc555a6eff57c623d9877706c9a5.SkGsogWeb.jpg

CRATES
Nitro Crate has been added
When received, the Nitro Crate will display as “Crate - Nitro” in your inventory

COMMUNITY FLAGS
The Loot Crate Community Flag has been added

ZAG TOYS ROCKET LEAGUE ORIGINAL MINIS PULL-BACK RACERS
Select Pull-Back Racers will come with one code redeemable for a set of two exclusive in-game items
Original Minis Pull-Back Racers will be on sale later this Spring, and then codes can be redeemed via the Redeem Code button in the Extras menu
Exclusive Rocket Trail: Cold Fusion
Exclusive Wheels: ZT-17
ZAG_Item_GIF.gif

BUG FIXES
[Steam] Fixed an issue where toggling Motion Blur on and off would cause a game crash
[Console] Light Shafts will no longer automatically re-enable if disabled in Video section of the Options Menu
[Steam] Vertical Sync will no longer automatically re-enable if disabled in Video section of the Options Menu
Rocket Trails viewed in the Garage when playing Splitscreen no longer display diagonally
Fixed Rocket Trails include: Alpha (Gold Rush), Bubbles, Cold Fusion, Datastream, Flamethrower, Frostbite, Helios, Hexphase, Hydro, Ink, Netherworld, Plasma, Slime, Snowflakes, Standard (All Colors), Treasure
Fixed an issue causing some glowing wheels to look incorrect when Painted. This fix affects the following wheels: Photon, Septem, Troika, and Voltaic
Side Boost locations on DFH Stormy, Urban Central, Urban Central (Dawn), and Urban Central (Night) now match those found in other standard arenas
Bunny Ears now flop in the correct direction
The “CCCXL” Decal for Ice Charger is now correctly named “CDXL”
Earned Assists now correctly display in the Leaderboards
The Ball Indicator now correctly displays on “Mannfield (Night)”
[Xbox One] The “Registered Voter” achievement has been fixed

Wait there's a new crate and car? I've not played in a while so I totally missed this. Bet I missed the rush to sell the crates for easy keys too. I kinda wanna try that v sync thing but, I've not played in a while and it feels good. No more stressing about not being on par with the pros anymore. I kinda feel like I should come back for the crates but I dunno, I think I might be done.

Edit: wait it literally just dropped? Well, shit. Now I do feel obliged to sell some crates.

ErichWK

Ya! Finally Mantis is released. It's one of my favorite cars I made. Also that stupid hot dog skin was cracking me up when I was painting it. It's so funny.

Ok had one quick game in hopes of a crate to sell. No luck, but I tried the V sync thing and I can feel a bit of a difference, but man it is not remotely smooth. Constant judder and tear, feels like my eyes are gonna blow chunks. I'm not sure I can stick with it.

Playing that one damn match pulled me right back in again, I knew this was gonna be a mistake

Made a video of the crate stuff(BM decals aside). The wheels look a lot better in motion. Disappointing in the standard decals. That bee one is just...why. I hope the second boost comes painted cause I love the look and sound of it.

Link

Made a video of the crate stuff(BM decals aside). The wheels look a lot better in motion. Disappointing in the standard decals. That bee one is just...why. I hope the second boost comes painted cause I love the look and sound of it.

Link

Do those exotic wheels come painted? I'm interested but they also look a little odd to me. I really need MG-88 for the Endo though and I really wanna try out that new car. Oddly I don't like how it looks painted, at least not the white so I won't be needing to splash out many keys. Not really a fan of the boosts either tbh. It's almost nice to not have a massive shopping list.

New Mystery Decal

Better quality

All the wheels can come painted yes.

Sigh...Why do I feel like white fire breathing dragons aren't gonna be cheap anytime soon.

Do those exotic wheels come painted? I'm interested but they also look a little odd to me. I really need MG-88 for the Endo though and I really wanna try out that new car. Oddly I don't like how it looks painted, at least not the white so I won't be needing to splash out many keys. Not really a fan of the boosts either tbh. It's almost nice to not have a massive shopping list.

New Mystery Decal

All the wheels can come painted yes.

Second BM Decal
Spectre
Painted Geothermal Boost
Painted White Mantis

TheKeyPit

Banned
What did they do to my orange color set? It looks differently.

Edit: Well, it is a known issue with Hexed. WTF.

+A big FU to the former Champion(I see your fancy wheels) who wanted to forfeit after a 0:1 because of a small screw up. He then stopped playing after the 0:2. I abandoned the match. Thanks ahole.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Nice, I'll try and get a couple hours in later and see what I can get.
From which region are you?

Edit: It boggles my mind that there is no smurf-auto-ban implemented. If the player with a Rookie tag scores more points than the average Joe at Diamond 1 and his team wins, auto-ban that player. Simple. No mercy.

Edit2: lol, a guy named PeanutButterCarryTime. Guess what he does.

88random

Edit: It boggles my mind that there is no smurf-auto-ban implemented. If the player with a Rookie tag scores more points than the average Joe at Diamond 1 and his team wins, auto-ban that player. Simple. No mercy.

That would just be stupid. I'm a PS4 player but last weekend RL was free to play on PC so I wanted to try it out in higher framerate. And of course I was going to wreck a lot of people while I had a Rookie tag.
But I have to admit, it was fun. There was one Plat 3 match where I was paired with two legends and they immediately started to moan how they are going to lose the match because of me. I scored 5 goals, made some nice saves and we won comfortably. Should I have been banned?

From which region are you?

Edit2: lol, a guy named PeanutButterCarryTime. Guess what he does.

I'm from the UK.

Should get a crate drop very soon just hope it's Nitro. I'll grab some lunch and jump on.

Top Bottom