• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

I've been playing Runbow on Xbox One and that actually is a good game to play to see bright colors. The constant changing background that goes from green, to cyan, yellow etc is a good way to see the lovely colors this TV can produce and of course the deep black levels.

Unfortunately I also definitely noticed things like banding easier in this game and it sure is there. These green, cyan, yellow and red moving backgrounds are not 100% correct or should I say uniform?

Ashhong

Hi all,

My 8 year old Panasonic plasma looks like it might be dying soon. It has a dead pixel all of a sudden and a thin line coming out of it (any thoughts on what that is)?

I've been dreading this day as I love the picture quality on it. That being said, if I have to upgrade then so be it.

I was taking a look at the TCL P607, which looks decent enough for the price.

However then I saw the KS8000 that everyone loves, and I can get the 55" for under $1000. Is that still highly recommended or is the Samsung Q7 better at this point? I see it doesn't have Dolby Vision, which might be my biggest issue, even though I don't have any 4k content.

My last thought was the Sony 900E, but that would be quite a bit more expensive unless I went down a size to 50". Actually, just found it for $1000 also..

Any advice welcome, thanks!

Anybody have thoughts on the above?

tldr
TCL p607 for 600$
Samsung KS8000 55" 1000$
Sony 900E 55" 1000$

Is the 400$ price difference worth it? I do hope to upgrade to OLED once the price goes down in a few years

ApharmdX

Banned
Anyone have the Bravia oled? How does it perform for games?

The general consensus is that the LG OLEDs are the best gaming displays of the year. I'd argue best non-CRT gaming displays ever. The A1E is overpriced in comparison to the B7/C7 but it does become interesting for lower-quality signals because it can smooth color gradients. Also, tone mapping for HDR is a bit different on the A1E and you can see it if you check these two displays out in person.. I can't say better or worse, and there's no real agreement on that, either. But the LG C7 is brighter and has less trouble with ABL. It is also much cheaper ($2000 cheaper?) so that's the one to get.

ag-my001

Just lost my Panasonic 50" plasma to a lightning surge. They don't make these any more, right? Best replacement option now? Any smaller brands that are offering good quality at friendlier prices?

Just lost my Panasonic 50" plasma to a lightning surge. They don't make these any more, right? Best replacement option now? Any smaller brands that are offering good quality at friendlier prices?

True, they don't make em like that anymore.

What price range is "friendlier prices"? a 55" can be anywhere from $300 (Walmart) to $3300 (Sony A1E).

ApharmdX

Banned

Best replacement and a substantial upgrade would be a 55' LG OLED C7. It'll run you $1800-2200. I'm not sure which plasma you had but I would try to go that route first.

Ashhong

Basically in the same boat. Very bummed that my Panny plasma is going to be gone soon, it was like my baby. 'm looking at the TCL P607 for 600$ which seems to be the best option at the budget. If you have a price matching credit card, the Samsung KS8000 and the Sony X900E can be had for $1000 if you can raise your budget a bit, but the TCL should be great.

Caayn

Isn't TCL the company that currently produces the Philips TVs? How do their own TVs stack up to their "Philips" TVs in terms of stability and smart functionality?

So I was reading this

https://carltonbale.com/does-4k-resolution-matter/

And basically what it seems to come down to is, a lot of people won't see 4K at all. Unless they have a 55 or 65 inch TV and their seating distance is 5 or 6 feet and let's be honest very few people I'm sure sit that close to their 55 or 65 incher. Personally I'm sitting about 13 feet from my 65 inch OLED, but that's only because I don't have any 4K games yet and sitting that close to games with sub HD resolutions is horrible.

However it remains to be seen if I'm going to be sitting 5 or 6 feet from my TV once I get my first 4K games. 6 feet is extremely close and I wonder if I can even properly focus during movies/shows and FPS online games sitting that close.

But it sounds like anyone with a TV below 55 inch likely won't notice 4K unless again they sit really damn close to it. Kinda a shame really.

Weevilone

So I was reading this

And basically what it seems to come down to is, a lot of people won't see 4K at all. Unless they have a 55 or 65 inch TV and their seating distance is 5 or 6 feet and let's be honest very few people I'm sure sit that close to their 55 or 65 incher. Personally I'm sitting about 13 feet from my 65 inch OLED, but that's only because I don't have any 4K games yet and sitting that close to games with sub HD resolutions is horrible.

However it remains to be seen if I'm going to be sitting 5 or 6 feet from my TV once I get my first 4K games. 6 feet is extremely close and I wonder if I can even properly focus during movies/shows and FPS online games sitting that close.

But it sounds like anyone with a TV below 55 inch likely won't notice 4K unless again they sit really damn close to it. Kinda a shame really.

Then I guess we're lucky that UHD content brings with it an expanded color gamut and HDR.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
So I was reading this

I always read these types of studies and laugh because I sit about 8 feet from a 55 OLED. And the difference in true 4k, (such as a Blu Ray and not something streamed like Netflix) is noticable to me. Yet other people I have shown a 4k movie to say they don't see a difference. Yet I have other people who see it and say they see the difference just as I do.

I think it more boils down to if people care vs if they can see a difference.

Edit: reminds me of the studies that say the human eye can't see anything past a certain frame rate. Yet people can see the difference.

ItIsOkBro

so i bought a 4k tv and it has a few dead pixels

on the one hand, it's not noticeable unless you're inches from the screen. on the other hand, i just dropped $800 on something and I prefer it not to have defects

gaf, what would you do, keep or return?

torontoml

on the one hand, it's not noticeable unless you're inches from the screen. on the other hand, i just dropped $800 on something and I prefer it not to have defects

Multiple dead pixels on a new TV. Return it.

BumRush

If it's multiple, I'd return. That's going to bother you.

Kyoufu

Definitely a return.

ronco2000

Try to find a used (low hours) 60" Pioneer elite or non-elite. Most people in my city are selling them in the $800s. Those tv will last you another 10 years if it's low ours. I still have my 151 from 2008 and still have amazing pictures.

Taggen86

What settings are you using for pc gaming on your LG oled TVs? Do you go into windows settings or not? Do you use game mode (provide less lag) or pc mode (provide less stuttering in 60 fps)?

Then I guess we're lucky that UHD content brings with it an expanded color gamut and HDR.

That's definitely a nice extra for sure.

I always read these types of studies and laugh because I sit about 8 feet from a 55 OLED. And the difference in true 4k, (such as a Blu Ray and not something streamed like Netflix) is noticable to me. Yet other people I have shown a 4k movie to say they don't see a difference. Yet I have other people who see it and say they see the difference just as I do.

I think it more boils down to if people care vs if they can see a difference.

Edit: reminds me of the studies that say the human eye can't see anything past a certain frame rate. Yet people can see the difference.

That's true too. I hope that goes for me as well because I would like to sit close to the TV but not extremely close that I can barely focus on things.

By the way, as for IR or potential burn in.....

If I don't see any IR or burn in on a light/dark grey/blue/red etc background, there isn't any IR, correct? Or can I only truly see it when I pick a 10% picture? I just want to be careful with this since I'm playing a hud heavy game now.

BumRush

If I don't see any IR or burn in on a light/dark grey/blue/red etc background, there isn't any IR, correct? Or can I only truly see it when I pick a 10% picture? I just want to be careful with this since I'm playing a hud heavy game now.

Honestly, if you take precautions you SHOULD be ok.

-pixel shift on
-OLED brightness lower than 100
-compensation cycles
-responsible use
-screensaver if you get up for breaks

Chopini

Neo Member
Definitely a return.

If it is LED tv, yes. But for OLED I only found 1 of 6 units that I inspected with no dead pixel (all 2016 model). It seems all OLED have dead pixel to the point I am scare to buy them.

It seems 2017 has worse uniformity and dead pixel is still aproblem last time I checked. If anyone have OLED with no dead pixel, let me know and give me some hope.

I can see dead subpixel with my seating distance 5-6ft for 65". It is not noticeable for 55" but for 65" I can definately notice them. But the thing is I need 65"z

If it is LED tv, yes. But for OLED I only found 1 of 6 units that I inspected with no dead pixel (all 2016 model). It seems all OLED have dead pixel to the point I am scare to buy them.

It seems 2017 has worse uniformity and dead pixel is still aproblem last time I checked. If anyone have OLED with no dead pixel, let me know and give me some hope.

I can see dead subpixel with my seating distance 5-6ft for 65". It is not noticeable for 55" but for 65" I can definately notice them. But the thing is I need 65"z

Same here. Just same experience with even more units. I'd want Panasonic Oled badly (picture is stunning) but I'm scared to drop 3000€ and then find bad pixels. Worst thing is, in my experience, they even develop after some time so when you're out of return time frame. Absurd situation but that's it.

ApharmdX

Banned

I've had two B7's with no dead pixels. I didn't know that dead pixels were even a problem on these, have seen nothing on AVS about that.

Kyoufu

I don't have dead pixels on my OLED. It's a panel lottery and as far as dead pixels go, the chance of getting those is not high on any panel, LCD or OLED, it doesn't matter.

julrik

I've owned three E6's. None of them had a single dead pixel.

ItIsOkBro

Multiple dead pixels on a new TV. Return it.

If it's multiple, I'd return. That's going to bother you.

Definitely a return.

ok thanks guys it's going back. it's a vizio m series 2017

psychotron

So far I'm very impressed by the 900E. Slightly darker corners are something I'm not used to coming from a Plasma, and there's also some DSE patches.

But HDR...holy balls. I finally get the hype. No wonder it's so hard to explain or show HDR in pics. I was watching Defenders and an outside window came into frame. I had to squint because the light coming from the window was so bright and realistic. Yet the rest of the room was lit normally. It almost felt like the lighting version of 3D. Also, Blacklist in 4K on Netflix was mind blowingly clear.

I think I'll exchange it for the same tv to see if I can get less DSE, but overall it's beautiful.

TheBoss1

I'll do reasearch in the 900 series

overall whats the biggest benefit to the 900 series sony XBR55X900E (1299) to the samsung UN55MU8000FXZA(1099)

I was writing something up but this will be better:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare

You can compare 3 TVs at once so select those 2 from the drop box and then choose a third like the X800E. Try not to pay attention too much to the scores/ratings but look at the values.

Top Bottom