• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neverfade

I'm curious, I have just one open usb port (and even then I think it's a 2.0 port).

I have two usb 3.0 ports of which one I have a powered usb hub for.

Does the rift work fine if you use a usb hub for it?

If you can arrange it to get the headset into a 3.0 that's ideal. My sensors go through a 2.0 hub and I've had no problems.

great price to jump in if you already have the rig capable of running the best titles.

Also proves that there is some...air...in the original 800$ prices :p

Jimrpg

great price to jump in if you already have the rig capable of running the best titles.

Also proves that there is some...air...in the original 800$ prices :p

yeah of course there was.

DK2 was $350 and Consumer $600, it wasn't an extra $200 or even $100 better.

Then Vive priced theirs above Rift because they had a room scale feature.

I bet if Rift was $400 to begin with, Vive would have been $500-600.

terrible

Banned
It's $550 CAD. Tempting, but still more than I am willing to pay. If it ever hits $450 here in the future I'm probably in.

Theonik

I believe they dropped the requirements, not increased them?
A 1060 is what Oculus recommends. It's pretty close to a 970 performance wise. A 1070 is between a 980 and 980Ti. A 1080 is slightly above a 980Ti. Etc.
970s are getting pretty rare now unless you buy second hand which is still an option, but a 970 won't give you the best OR experience anyway.

UrbanRats

A 1060 is what Oculus recommends. It's pretty close to a 970 performance wise. A 1070 is between a 980 and 980Ti. A 1080 is slightly above a 980Ti. Etc.
970s are getting pretty rare now unless you buy second hand which is still an option, but a 970 won't give you the best OR experience anyway.

But VR is still doable with a 970, right? I wouldn't be ready to change GPU just for this.

Hip Hop

No

A 1060 is close to the 980. a 970 is behind that.

A 1070 is not between, but its better than a 980ti.

a 1080 is not even near any of that.

StereoVsn

I am awfully tempted by this deal. The only issue is still games. I am not particularly interested in most of the indies released for VR so far. However, I already have Elite Dangerous and Subnautica and haven't put much time into either at all.

Plus Eve Valkyrie comes with the Best Buy deal. Finally we got Fallout 4 VR coming and that could be quite decent (of course no native Oculus support). Hmm....

Edit: Plus House of Dying Sun and Everspace also have VR support. Double Hmm...

Compsiox

Banned
I am awfully tempted by this deal. The only issue is still games. I am not particularly interested in most of the indies released for VR so far. However, I already have Elite Dangerous and Subnautica and haven't put much time into either at all.

Plus Eve Valkyrie comes with the Best Buy deal. Finally we got Fallout 4 VR coming and that could be quite decent (of course no native Oculus support). Hmm....

Fallout VR will use SteamVR. SteamVR supports Oculus natively (in that you don't have to screw around to get it working). Unless Bethesda goes out of their way to remove support its safe to say you'll enjoy Fallout on your rift.

Edit: Plus House of Dying Sun and Everspace also have VR support. Double Hmm...

fallout 4 vr was the thing makijg me consider getting into vr, thats the killer app, but reading that its going to be vive exclusive is making me get off the fence for this oculus

still unsure.

worried that ill have fun with it for a week then just go back to normal gaming.

idk. super tempted tho.... really close to saying "awe fuck it"

Well if you replace "a week" with "a couple of weeks" that is pretty much true of me and several others I know who bought vr.

A week or two of "OMG I can never play boring crappy TV games ever again after this!!", followed by returning to regular gaming with the headset gathering dust somewhere and being taken out very occasionally for an hour or so.

The hardware is cool, but he legitimately good games just aren't there yet.

I'm very tempted. I was also tempted for the psvr deal on newegg a couple weeks ago. I think I'm still apprehensive because these VR sets could go lower. I just wonder at what price I'd instant buy. Maybe $200. Then I'd click immediately.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Damn, that is seriously tempting for Touch included. This is proper consumer-level pricing for these things.

But then again, I have a feeling both parties are coming out with new and improved headsets in the not too distant future.

fallout 4 vr was the thing makijg me consider getting into vr, thats the killer app, but reading that its going to be vive exclusive is making me get off the fence for this oculus

Knowing Bethesda, Fallout 4 is not going to be the killer app of anything.

StereoVsn

Fallout VR will use SteamVR. SteamVR supports Oculus natively (in that you don't have to screw around to get it working). Unless Bethesda goes out of their way to remove support its safe to say you'll enjoy Fallout on your rift.

So that's the question. Looking at the Steam VR store some games indicate Oculus support and some only have Vive support. I am guessing that there will be a way to make it work (although Bethesda hates Oculus so may somehow DRM it out) but it won't be great.

Damn, that is seriously tempting for Touch included. This is proper consumer-level pricing for these things.

But then again, I have a feeling both parties are coming out with new and improved headsets in the not too distant future.

Knowing Bethesda, Fallout 4 is not going to be the killer app of anything.

Yeah, I am sure new headsets are coming but they will not be $399 by any means. For Fallout 4, it's a good game to tool around in Survivor. It won't be revolutionary and anything but world design is pretty good and it most likely will be quite fun.

Edit: Forgot about New Retro Arcade: Neon VR setup and a few racing game. Alright, I convinced myself, bought.

HTC Vive is better though, right?

Oculus Rift has always had (slightly) better visuals. This has been true since day 1. The RIft also is a more comfortable headset for long periods of use.

HTC Vive came with the equipment for room-scale VR though. Even Rift + Touch isn't room-scale.

UrbanRats

That's likely, but the are they gonna be 400? or, more likely 800?

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
So that's the question. Looking at the Steam VR store some games indicate Oculus support and some only have Vive support. I am guessing that there will be a way to make it work (although Bethesda hates Oculus so may somehow DRM it out) but it won't be great.

They will most likely work even if it just says "vive" The developer just never tested it with a rift but if it works with the vive it will also work with the rift because they all use the openvr sdk which is compatible with the rift.

Mendrox

fuck oculus, fuck lucley all day

yeah, people with principles about the alt-right are just terrible, great post

I got banned for this so I would take things like this outside. Also he is not with Oculus anymore.

Great price. I already got a PSVR so hmm...

120v

oh man the woes of early adoption. nearly $400 less than what i paid for

congrats to those who'll get in on this though. excellent deal

Wollan

If you want a good solid adventure game I recommend Chronos.

It's not a 'showcase' VR game but you will have a dozen entertaining and polished hours ahead of you. It feels like a modern Onimusha (sword combat, ambient instead of music, fixed camera positions) though with a different setting.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
DOOM VFR (Virtual Fucking Reality) might be it. Assuming they work out their teleportation movement system in a way which makes spatial sense and also lets you shoot demons effectively.

Actually I think Echo Arena + Lone Echo is the killer app but that's just me. The game solves the locomotion problem and provides an awesome multiplayer experience.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Is Polybius out on the PC headsets already?

Because honestly, that's the only game i'd be interested in playing right now in VR. The library is pretty dire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom