• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Sony make a new UI for the PS5 or stay with the PS4 version?

Alienfan

The one they have now is terrible. It focuses on a list of apps and games you've used recently, it needs more static elements like game library and tv/video that just remain in one easy to find place. A good UI is a UI you can eventually navigate with your eyes closed.

Shifty

Yes, and it should bring back some of the XMB's simplicity. I don't need tons of info in my face at all times, just a way to get to the games I want to play.

Venom.

The PS4 UI's weakness is also its strength. It looks dated, basic and over simplistic. But this makes it easy to use and it works without any lag.

It would be nice if it got a graphical overhaul with prettier elements like in the OP video, but I doubt it will veer too far from the XMB

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Prefer them to iterate on the PS4 UI than go back to the XMB.

XMB was snappy, but a cluttered mess. So many superfluous features with priority hierarchies that made no damned sense. I really appreciate that PS4 tucks a lot of that away in submenus and even hides the menu up top.

PS4 is clunky though, lots of idle waiting for data to load in and occasionally it can feel like a constant stress test.

Newk86

Speaking of UI, I have 7 accounts on my PS4. Every time I buy a new game, I have to log in and out of all 7 accounts to sort that game into a folder. For both physical and digital, and it is getting to the point that I'm almost dreading even getting new games anymore it is so annoying. Does anybody know if there is a way around this? To enable identical folder structure on every account?

Edit* On topic I prefer the PS3 desktop UI, and even further to that I prefer the original PSN store layout too over the giant, flashy and heavily promotion biased one we have now too.

wapplew

Base on how Sony operated, they will use new UI just to make all our PS4 theme obsolete and have us buy new theme all over again.

JusDoIt

The thread has forced me to realize that the PS4 has my favorite console UI, which is sad, because it's not spectacular or sexy. It gets the job done, though.

The only correct answer is to do whatever they need to do to not start from scratch with OS features.

Shouldn't have to ask to have battery level indications in the UI, friends notifications, or the completion status of a download.

I would love it if playstation made the ui's more personal or customizable. Like playing a song of my choice upon boot up.

I dunno, it's their job to give me something I didn't know I wanted.. so I'll leave that up to them. But more personal experience is where I want it be

Mikey Jr.

Speaking of UI, I have 7 accounts on my PS4. Every time I buy a new game, I have to log in and out of all 7 accounts to sort that game into a folder. For both physical and digital, and it is getting to the point that I'm almost dreading even getting new games anymore it is so annoying. Does anybody know if there is a way around this? To enable identical folder structure on every account?

Edit* On topic I prefer the PS3 desktop UI, and even further to that I prefer the original PSN store layout too over the giant, flashy and heavily promotion biased one we have now too.

Why do you have 7 accounts?

And why do they each have to be identical?

Netflix style interface would be great, imo.

Sort of like the current PS4 interface but with different rows (verticality). One row for apps, one row for settings, party chat, trophies, etc, one for games, another one for video and music services. Maybe add more or make them editable. Allows for a lot quicker access than the current interface, while still having overview and being easy to use with buttons.
So go back to the XMB essentially

What ad?

I legit don't know where they are.

You mean in the what's new section?

What ads?

413757iE4A659A2E3B619DC.jpg

On my system there are even more of them. Its intrusive

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Keep it as it is just improve as they go the more basic the better I only play games & use My Videos, Netflix & Tube its a games machine i can stream on 😊

Newk86

Why do you have 7 accounts?

And why do they each have to be identical?

Main account, USA account, JPN account, and four friend accounts for local MP. OCD is the reason, and plus whenever an account gets logged into after a while it's just a huge mess. Just an option in the settings to keep it the same would be handy (if it doesn't already exist?).

Edit* Had a think about it and just realised why I never had this problem on PS3. On PS4 you actually put your games in a folder, whereas on PS3 you would edit the category of the game and then as long as sort by folder/category is enabled on each account then folders essentially just create and sort themselves. This is a better system.

TheFatMan

413757iE4A659A2E3B619DC.jpg

On my system there are even more of them. Its intrusive

Yeah the video app folder and the what's new section are the only places you'll see ads.

I know the ads are annoying and I wish I could organize my video apps folder, but the people saying it's a "headache" are being ridiculous...

You have to push down 2 or 3 times to get to the Vudu app......you're right, what a fucking headache. lol

Come on guys.

I'd love for it to stay the same, just some simple tweaks like locking folders and apps into place and just deeper customization, kinda like android themes. Also just some super well made default theme to give it a fresh initial look.

Mikey Jr.

I'd love for it to stay the same, just some simple tweaks like locking folders and apps into place and just deeper customization, kinda like android themes. Also just some super well made default theme to give it a fresh initial look.

Yeah, the same general layout I would like to stay the same for sure. But give it a new coat of paint.

Dunno, really don't want a ui to start from scratch again....

So we'll wait another 2 years for folders.

I preferred the XMB. It wasn't perfect, of course, but I found it to be a really elegant concept.

I generally like interfaces to be sparse and functional. PS4's UI is just a tad too busy for my tastes.

I own a very large digital library and I'm unhappy with the OS. Aside from the lag which is getting more noticeable by the download, it's not satisfying to have to scroll through a large horizontal collection of icons looking for a game. Folders helped a little, but you're still navigating a long row of icons, now with the added "bonus" of having extra clicks just to get around to different folders. I'd like to control how many icons I see on screen, and I'd like to control how many rows I can have. Maybe something similar to the 3DS home screen where I can choose a single row screen, a double row screen, a triple row screens or a quadruple row screen.

Also, fix the HORRIBLE search function in the PSN store and maybe add a quick search button/bar for the home screen. That could help find a game or app very quickly.

And I want to be able to clear the clutter. I don't need all this social connectivity, so I should be allowed to remove them from my screen.

I would say that the barebones UI is functional but it's not even that at times. Throw the entire thing in the trash and start over. No idea how you go from the XMB to the complete messes on the PS4 and Vita.

I own a very large digital library and I'm unhappy with the OS. Aside from the lag which is getting more noticeable by the download, it's not satisfying to have to scroll through a large horizontal collection of icons looking for a game. Folders helped a little, but you're still navigating a long row of icons, now with the added "bonus" of having extra clicks just to get around to different folders. I'd like to control how many icons I see on screen, and I'd like to control how many rows I can have. Maybe something similar to the 3DS home screen where I can choose a single row screen, a double row screen, a triple row screens or a quadruple row screen.

Also, fix the HORRIBLE search function in the PSN store and maybe add a quick search button/bar for the home screen. That could help find a game or app very quickly.

And I want to be able to clear the clutter. I don't need all this social connectivity, so I should be allowed to remove them from my screen.

I'm on two sides with the PSN store search functionality. It's slow and I can type much faster using the default keyboard with motion controls but I like how it gets rid of any useless letters that won't allow the word to match anything in the store.

And yeah, I have a shit ton of games and it's all cluttered when I look for old games I've deleted that I wanna play again.

Sure they can change it but I like the simplistic nature of it. I don't need to spend a lot of time on the UI and I just need a simple guide as to where things are. Too much style and flare can bog down the entire point of using something. Having a healthy balance is welcome of course but it doesn't need to be flashy for the sake of looking good....but at the same time being a mess to use.

I love the PS4 UI the best. Love the simplicity and sheer smoothness/performance. I can navigate to just about anything in a matter of seconds.

If it stays like this in the PS5, I'll be happy. A visual make-over is fine, just keep the performance snappy.

RCU005

The PS4 UI is an evolution of the XMB. I really don't know how they can improve it further, other than adding more/better features.

I do hope the PS5 has a new UI, but maybe it will again be an evolution and not something completely new.

Top Bottom