• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

21:9 Gaming Thread | That cinematic feel

Dr Dogg

The price hikes are also starting as well D: it was £799 before now it's going up to £850 in some stores that have any left, currently have about £400, trying to find the rest of the money to pay for it - as well as trying to justify why I spent so much on a single monitor :).

I was pretty much sold on the £600ish price point Scan and Dabs were offering before it got delayed and by the time my monitor packed up and this resurfaced again the price got hiked as you said. I did almost get a 4k screen but chicken out as it sounded like more hassle than what it's worth right now (plus DP 1.3 and HDMI 2.0 will be here soon with waaaay more bandwidth available).

Ended up crawling back to Dell and got a U2713HM for a smidge over £400 which pretty much wiped out my Summer Sale funds. If there's some deals on the LG in the new year around March I might bite the bullet as really it's a dual monitor setup without the bezel and a whole lot more. So I guess £800 (or more over a bit less) for two monitors at that resolution doesn't seem that bad ;)

Ceebs

I have a question for you guys that have these monitors. When a game has a custom FOV setting, what do you set it at?

MRORANGE

I have a question for you guys that have these monitors. When a game has a custom FOV setting, what do you set it at?

This is more of a personal preference, I set most fps games around 80-90 if I can, of course you may need to play around for each game at 21:9 to find your perfect setting.

butman

Oh the market...

4-5 years from now it will be a thread for wishing this kind format in gaming.

DSD-5000_s.png

MRORANGE

Oh the market...

4-5 years from now it will be a thread for wishing this kind format in gaming.

[IM]http://wfcache.advantech.com/EZ/CMSUserFiles/image//DSD-5000_s.png[/IMG]

I see no problem with this, multiple uses for super widescreen monitors, it's not being something being forced, unlike 4K and it offers a real incentive of something different.

Speaking of stupid high prices of screens, check this out:

21:9 5120x2160 by LG

1nEefto.jpg

Faith

Finally a 21:9 thread!

I got my LG 29EB73-P last Friday and I'm completely blown away. Gaming is so much more immersive and the picture quality is superb (compared to my old 24" BenQ TN).

Reckoner

I'm thinking on getting either a LG 29UM65 or an Asus MX299Q. Which one do you guys think is better? I read that the Asus has some kind of tech to reduce ghosting. Does that really work well?

Human_me

I'm thinking on getting either a LG 29UM65 or an Asus MX299Q. Which one do you guys think is better? I read that the Asus has some kind of tech to reduce ghosting. Does that really work well?

The LG29UM65 is the model I have and it is brilliant. I haven't noticed any ghosting of any kind on the LG and is very responsive.

Superb colours, excellent blacks (so if you do play 16:9 gaming on this then you shouldnt notice much backlight bleed/ IPS Glow)
The OSD is very easy to use and has a Display split function so you can display 2 images from separate 2 devices on the same monitor.

Linus has a review on the monitor that goes into more detail:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0i7FjwteQE

I can't comment on the Asus MX299Q but if you have any more questions on the LG let me know.

mr stroke

been using the 34" LG for a couple months

NXidAZol.jpg

mHzgU2ql.jpg

And absolutely love it. Having had a previous Eyefinity set up, the 21:9 with out bezels is a huge improvement.

I also use a Dell 32" 4k and I actually prefer the LG 34" 21:9 for most games, the immersion with 21:9 is insane and can actually give you an advantage in FPS with the ultra wide scope. Anyone on the fence buy one now!

Reckoner

The LG29UM65 is the model I have and it is brilliant. I haven't noticed any ghosting of any kind on the LG and is very responsive.

Superb colours, excellent blacks (so if you do play 16:9 gaming on this then you shouldnt notice much backlight bleed/ IPS Glow)
The OSD is very easy to use and has a Display split function so you can display 2 images from separate 2 devices on the same monitor.

Linus has a review on the monitor that goes into more detail:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0i7FjwteQE

I can't comment on the Asus MX299Q but if you have any more questions on the LG let me know.

Thanks. Luckily there's a good deal here, a store is selling that LG for only 300 euros. I don't see it any cheaper anywhere. It's 400 euros at least on other stores. My other question is about gsync and freesync, but the first one I already know the answer, the second one there's little info for it atm. I would love for it to have future compatibility with it.

The LG29UM65 might not be included but the Asus is: http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/519...-for-you-test-results-brightness-and-contrast

Interesting review of some monitors. Made my choice easy.

It looks like a good monitor too, but I'm now liking what I hear about LG more.

ZeroX03

Banned

NXidAZol.jpg

mHzgU2ql.jpg

And absolutely love it. Having had a previous Eyefinity set up, the 21:9 with out bezels is a huge improvement.

I also use a Dell 32" 4k and I actually prefer the LG 34" 21:9 for most games, the immersion with 21:9 is insane and can actually give you an advantage in FPS with the ultra wide scope. Anyone on the fence buy one now!

Absolutely beautiful! Cinematic/10.

I don't have enough space for a monitor, I have the PC hooked up to my tv. I'm hoping for the vr revolution so I never have to think about tv/monitors for gaming again :p

red731

What is the performance drop I would be looking at with single 7970 GHz 3GB?
I've read somewhere that is around 30percent?

You guys with 2560 x 1080 panels, do you have single, or sli/cf gpu setup?

Faith

What's the max refresh rate of that IPS monitor?
I can overclock it to 76Hz with my current cable (HDMI), maybe more with displayport.

What is the performance drop I would be looking at with single 7970 GHz 3GB?
I've read somewhere that is around 30percent?

You guys with 2560 x 1080 panels, do you have single, or sli/cf gpu setup?
25% less FPS is the worst case scenario, because you have 33% more pixels. With my GTX770 4GB I lost around 20% FPS.

Faith

What do you mean by overclocking? The 76Hz option is not available in the Windows display settings?
Normal refreshrate is 60Hz, but I can make custom resolutions with custom refreshrates in the Nvidia Control panel:

3dlpckf6.png

ZeroX03

Banned
Been experimenting with 1920x810 as recommended in the OP for kicks on my laptop.

Used Arkham City instead of Origins because the snow effects in Origins make everything far away look very murky and ugly.

Deepo

I hate this thread.

I was so happy with my current monitor, an then you had to go and post this LG beauty. My PC desk is in a corner so there's not enough room for it. Now I'm just sad.

gzero

Anybody tried Xcom at 21:9? I was having issues with the mouse -- clicks not landing in the right place when running at 2560x1080. Catalyst 14.4 drivers with two 7850s in crossfire.

Human_me

I have an ASUS 29" and love it. Playing dark souls 2 was a dream on it. Does watch dogs support 21:9?

Yeah Watchdogs supports it.

Anybody tried Xcom at 21:9? I was having issues with the mouse -- clicks not landing in the right place when running at 2560x1080. Catalyst 14.4 drivers with two 7850s in crossfire.

Its a common problem with XCOM,
You have 3 options:

1. You either play it at 1920x1080 (16:9 aspect ratio) which will then give you black bars at the side. Not ideal I know, but you won't have any issues.

2. You play with a Controller, As that doesn't use the mouse interface you can play the game freely.

3. You can make some .ini edits and it may fix your problem, details here: http://www.wsgf.org/dr/xcom-enemy-unknown/en
I haven't tried this option so I can't guarantee it will work.

MaxiLive

I actually got an AOC 21:9 monitor recently and I've been pretty impressed by it! I wouldn't say it is anything game changing but well worth looking at if you are in the market for a monitor upgrade. Its also nice being able to switch it to a 1920x1080 monitor for the games that don't support 21:9 :D Binary Domain being the only one I have played recently that doesn't support it :p

I do miss the 120hz of my old monitor though!

GHG

Gold Member
I think Vizio is the only company currently making them, and even they may have stopped. It hasn't really caught on even though movies look fantastic on them. I think the fact that all television shows will have black bars on the side has turned people off of them a bit. I may be wrong on the availability. It's been about 2 months since I was researching 21:9 televisions. Hopefully more are being announced.

Darn it.

I kind of realised the same thing from my research but hoped someone on GAF would unearth a hidden jem for me.

So silly that they never caught on - perfect home cinema/media TV's.

No worries! It's what I've been doing since gawping over Nabs' and Stall's pics all last year. Here's just a taste of a few more...
12242599074_6167e25e05_o.png

I really, like reaaaally love this one.
Alan Wake is already a game that is more cinematic in my eyes than some random shooter game, it's like an interactive movie to me.
And the 21:9 stuff makes it even cooler!

I just ordered the LG 34UM95, and can't wait to get it. Just to let everyone know, these monitors are not that much more than a high quality large size monitor. I got mine from B&H for $899. The sale is over, but it has hit that level multiple times over the last month and I finally pulled the trigger.

Here is the link, watch it over the next couple days, wouldn't be surprised if it dropped again.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Wow, that's a wiide screen. I haven't even gotten used to a 16:9 screen after playing on a 4:3 monitor for most of my life. The shots in the thread sure look sexy though.

The Cowboy

NXidAZol.jpg

mHzgU2ql.jpg

It should be against the rules to post things like this, i mean this is just not right at all :(.

Bloody lovely looking matey, i am jealous!.

Evo X

Wow, I'm sold. That LG looks incredible and I love the aspect ratio. I'm getting my Oculus Rift next month, so not sure I can justify this for gaming, but it would still be great from a work productivity point of view.

Anyone know how well a single GTX 780Ti would run games at 3440x1440? If it's not enough horsepower, I might settle for the 2560x1080 version as I don't want to invest in another GPU for SLI at the moment.

-SD-

Banned
So, 3440x1440 and 2560x1080 aren't really 21:9 but 21.5:9 and 21.33333333333333:9.

If you're wondering, 3360x1440 and 2520x1080 are exactly 21:9.

I think for PC desktops they should have just ignored the cinematic 21:9 and gone boldly to 24:9, which is 2 times the width of 12:9 (4:3). That would've been a nice, even number and an actual substantial increase over 16:9. It would've also made more sense. Well, at least to me, since, for example, 3840x1440 is 24:9, which has the same width as Ultra HD resolution (3840x2160). Black bars watching 21:9 movies wouldn't have bothered me.

NeOak

My brother has that AOC 24", but I'm still on the fence because I'm spoiled by my 144Hz Asus D:

I need that 120Hz.

Top Bottom