• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

So there is a raid at a non-sponsored location near me. It's counting down from 1:55:00. Is that when it goes away or when it starts? I don't want to head out there now and be two hours early.

gutshot

Had my first raid earlier this evening on my way home from work. Level 3 raid, 19.7k CP Gengar. Suggested raid size was 13 people and there were 3 of us (the other two may have been spoofers as I didn't see anyone else that seemed to be playing PGo at the Starbucks).

We still took the boss down relatively easily and got a cool 3000 XP. Rewards were 5 Revives, 12 Golden Razzberries(!) and 1 Charged TM(!!). The Gengar was 87% IVs and 1465 CP with terrible moves. Caught him on my third Premier Ball throw. I also got a badge from the gym.

Overall it was pretty cool although I would like to see the difficulty upped a bit. The rewards are really nice though and getting to catch the boss at the end was exciting.

Got 18 coins from a gym.......too bad all the other gyms nearby already had 6 pokemon =/

How long after they hit zero motivation do they get kicked out?

border

I'm going to venture a guess that if the gyms in your area were stagnant before, they're going to continue to be stagnant now. All the neighborhoods around me look pretty much the same as they did before the update came.

I think the fact that many new gyms got added in actually may have made the issue worse. If you don't need 10 gyms to do a full cash-in, why bother attacking any other gyms?

Stagnation happened not because the Gym system was busted, but because people just felt powerless to really improve their lot or fight back against opposing teams that held a deathgrip on their area. Now it's possible to fight back, but we're powerless to actually determine our income. So people claim gyms and just sit back hoping that someone will come and boot them after an appropriate amount of time.

Kinda funny to think that we used to log-in hoping to see that none of our gyms got beaten, and now we log in hoping to see that at least a few of our gyms got beaten.

border

After valiantly defending a gym in a heavily trafficked neighborhood park for over 24 hours, my Gyrados just returned to me with.....0 coins. The daily cap sucks.

They ought to just return your pokemon to you after it has exceeded its maximum earning potential, or give you the option to recall it after a certain point. At least that encourages gym turnover, and if the gym doesn't turn then it frees up a slot for a new player to join.

GulAtiCa

The old system was where people lost motivation to tackle a lv 10 gym. Already seen many normally stagnant gyms get flipped so much. I myself took on several gyms with 6 pokemon in it today. Hell, doing that bumps up that gym's badge and gets me more items from the gym too.

We will see how things progress. But I know I certainly will be tackling on those high gyms. You only need to worry about Mystic gyms becoming stagnant in my area. :p

GulAtiCa

Oh, so doing another 5k tomorrow, 8 am.. woo. lol. But, got a 10k primed and ready to hatch! Got 2 more active too, but won't likely hatch till after. Looks like a few pokestops there. Good thing I upped my item limit to 1200. I also accidentally upped my Pokemon storage up by 200 yesterday... lol Just as well I guess, my 100 Rhyhorns & 70ish Dratinis were starting to take up space.

border

The old system was where people lost motivation to tackle a lv 10 gym.

Ignoring the mechanics of the old gym system, the root of the problem was apathy. Why take down a Level 10 Valor gym in a Valor neighborhood when Valor will probably just take it back within a day or so? If you live in an area without stagnation and without well-defined Valor/Mystic/Instinct territories, then what's the point in taking down a gym when someone will just steal it back from you within hours? People disengaged from the system because there was no clear way for them to positively engage with it.

I don't think the new system really does much to change that sense of apathy that lead to non-participation. Gyms in a stagnant neighborhood will continue to reflect the team affiliations of the most active players that live/work in those areas. If you live in an area with high-turnover then you'll continue to see high turnover.....probably even higher turnover, given how easy it is to take down an entire gym now. Maybe you'll take down a gym and hold it for a few hours and take home a handful of coins.....maybe you'll get kicked out 10 minutes later and get virtually nothing.

I think the fact that people have little-to-no control over income generation will lead to further apathy. Niantic ought to just decide how many coins they are comfortable giving away on a daily basis, and set that as a cap.......then give people a direct means to earn those coins through their own actions. This nonsense where I have to rely on another team to kick my pokemon out of the gym is silly. Even worse is the possibility that I get cheated out of coins if my pokemon gets kicked on a day when I've already hit the cap. I think the current system might have sounded good on paper, but doesn't work all that well in practice.

zulux21

Do you live in a gym heavy area?

not super gym heavy. I think there are 8-10 or so around the main town. Three within my apartment view range.

i walked around town and none of them were raidable.

the other place near me had a gym added with the gym updates so I figure that one might be raidable but I didn't go there.

Tried 4 raids tonight, got booted from 3 on error messages. The one I did manage to do I did solo, and didn't lose a single pokemon. I hoped they would be harder...

zulux21

Tried 4 raids tonight, got booted from 3 on error messages. The one I did manage to do I did solo, and didn't lose a single pokemon. I hoped they would be harder...

raids have different levels, so higher level ones will be harder.

beyond that though they need to make them not super hard as most casual players are still level 20-27 or so.

Raids are awesome and popping up everywhere around me! It was nice seeing pockets of people at gyms again and I think they will definitely encourage gym turnover even more than the new system already does which should mean a more consistent flow of coins for me at least. Plus, it was great finally meeting/putting a face to some of the fellow mystic members that I had seen in gyms for a while but never actually met.

Got a perfect IV Rhydon from the Tier 4 raid I managed to do, and it was actually pretty tough for 5 people. But after we failed two more showed up and we managed to do it without a ton of hassle so I'm thinking something around 5-7 is the ideal size group assuming everyone is like 28-30 range.

border

Got a Rhydon back after 25 hours in a gym. Zero coins. FeelsBadMan

Yeah, I don't see how they can weather this as time goes on and on and the daily cap cheats more and more of the most active users out of their earnings.

Before gyms launched someone on the Silph Road Reddit asked what would happen if their daily earnings exceeded the cap, and one of the Niantic reps responded in a very matter-of-fact manner that excess earnings would be lost and forefeit. If this was some unforeseen consequence of the daily cap I might just chalk it up as incompetence and incredibly poor foresight, but really? The whole plan from the beginning was to have players lose coins they gained fair-and-square? You knew this was going to happen and you went ahead and pulled the trigger anyway?

I have previously said that maybe the new Gym system sounded good on paper but was bad in practice. But damn, even on paper it's kinda shitty.

NianticGeorge said:
The 100 PokéCoin per day limit means you'll be able to receive a max of 100 PokéCoins in a single day. Any PokéCoins accrued over the 100 PokéCoin limit are discarded.

So let's say you have 2 Pokémon on Gyms and they each have accrued the 100 PokéCoins limit. If they both come back on the same day, you'll earn a total of 100 PokéCoins for both Pokémon.

zulux21

I have previously said that maybe the new Gym system sounded good on paper but not in practice. But damn, even on paper it's kinda shitty.

while I agree the new system has a number of flaws and isn't great right now.

I would still hands down say it's much better than the old system.

I mean... at least I have a reason to look at gyms again and have a chance to get any coins from them.

shouldn't take to long to get more coins from the new gyms then I got from the old gyms this year.

30 coins all year from the old gym system this year vs 0 right now for the new system but I have 4 pokemon in gyms two of which have been in for over 24 hours and 2 that have been in for a few hours. when any come back I should get more coins than the last system.

zulux21

It's only the rewards thing at first I thought was worse. Everything else about the gyms I like better.
the ability to actually get in a gym alone makes the rewards better than the old system for me.

They were all level 2-3 raids, about 13 people. I did a tier 2 Wheezing solo with a Rhydon, no trouble at all. Kind of a joke.

well you have to have a place to go up.

I imagine they will go up to like level 5 which still shouldn't be that hard for like 5-10 people, but given legendary raids are going to be a thing I imagine those will be quite the challenge.

Growlie19

Was at work all evening, so I didn't get a chance to get into a raid. I have tomorrow off, and I will be spending it at a park in range of 5 or 6 gyms. Get my item count up and scout for my first raid.

Anyways, my Vaporeon finally came back and gave me my last 33 coins of the day, defending for well over a day. Quite the fighter! Today, I placed a Pinsir and Golduck into gyms. Pinsir came back before Vape and gave seven coins, and Golduck was literally put in 5 minutes ago. We'll see how it fares.

Grouped with 4 fellow Mystics tonight and took down some gyms. Lightening started flashing hard so we decided to call it around midnight. It's absolutely pouring outside now and I have 7 gyms under my control. I feel very confident I will get my 50 coins tomorrow haha.

Firemind

Oh my god people still defending the old system

Anyway pumped for some raid action 💪💪💪

Yeah really glad about that.

Anyone what the color of the eggs and the amount of that dragon-face-something symbol mean for a raid?
Amount is lvl. Not sure about colour.

Chopper

What am I looking at here?

d8RKZtS.png

How do those two sets of numbers correspond? What do the little scary faces signify?

Firemind

What am I looking at here?

How do those two sets of numbers correspond? What do the little scary faces signify?
The number on top of the gym is a timer that automatically counts down. The raids nearby are the actual time. The dragon faces means level of the raid.

The countdown above an egg shows you when the raid starts. A countdown above a Pokemon (that hatches from an egg) shows you how long the raid is active for. The number on the raid screen is the local time that the raid starts. The faces are a rough difficulty indicator, out of 5.

Edit: beaten!

Rahvar

Gotten 2 daily raid passes. Both times I've used them I get an error when the gym counts down and I get kicked out... Feels great atm

Chopper

The number on top of the gym is a timer that automatically counts down. The raids nearby are the actual time. The dragon faces means level of the raid.

The countdown above an egg shows you when the raid starts. A countdown above a Pokemon (that hatches from an egg) shows you how long the raid is active for. The number on the raid screen is the local time that the raid starts. The faces are a rough difficulty indicator, out of 5.

Edit: beaten!
Oh, cool. Thanks.

Dynasty

Ive been cheated out of a bunch of coins due to the daily cap which is annoying.
On a more positive note a lvl 2 gym has appeared at a gym near me so probably going to hit it, will report back how I do.

Teppic

The new gym rewards is ass. I don't get anything for taking down gyms and I'm not getting anything for defending gyms. I have two gyms takes since the start and so far they have given me nothing. Would have gotten 40 coins at this point with the old system. Unless someone kills them fast I will start to lose coins for every day they stay in the gym.

T.O.P

Banned
Did 4 raids this morning, caught a Machamp 1.8k and a Gengar 1.6k

First was a lvl 2, did it easily with a friend of mine, the lvl 3 one we did in 6 rather easily, the lvl 4 we did in 8 and it was rather tough (we could've killed it with the second chance but half our group glitched so we got fucked again)

Rather fun to be honest!

One question tho, are the Premium Balls (?) not stored? you can only use 'em on that one raid pokemon?

robochimp

So everyone being "cheated" out of coins how many gyms were you in?

At one point I had six gyms in the same park, which in hindsight was overkill with 30 hours defending, as they all fell through the day. The result of the the 50 coin cap is that I'll focus on fewer gyms to hit 500 minutes defending and at some point let them decay to become targets for take down. It creates turnover and accessibility. It gets players out and in the area for raids which is the new end game.

Did two raids

First was Alakazam (22000CP), was a lvl 3 raid
Only one other player present. It was really tough but we made it. Got 2 rare candy, one quick move and one charge move machine thing and 30 revives.
Got 11 balls but no chance of catching it. Used razz all the time but it always broke out

Second raid. Tyracroc (5200CP) lvl 1
Was alone but it was super easy. Got a golden razz and 13 revives. Got 13 balls but only needed 1 to catch it.
Haven't had a Tyracroc so I was very happy.

There are tons of raids. Saw Magikarp as well as Snorlax raids.
Very cool feature but only getting one pass a day is lame. Niantic is going to make shitloads of money with raid passes

Top Bottom