• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura Community Thread: Cuteness Is Justice, Ninjas Are Life

MetalDeer

I'm going to be really disappointed if the remake reuses a bunch of animations from EV. Haruka's clothes breaks in Burst are great, for example:
zGFmcKz.jpg

The more girls they add, the less personalized animations and stuff they seem to add. Which is expected and reasonable, but still pretty disappointing.
19 days until disappointment hits U.S. shores. :p

Probably true.

I'm not a huge Yumi fan, but...

I'd buy it.
There's still a severe lack of Senran Kagura Nendoroids, or figures in general, really. Takaki-san please.

19 days until splashy boobs.
Oh man, another one of Yumi. That wedding lingerie figure of her just came out a month ago. I know she's popular in Japan, but dammit, I want a 1/6 figure of Miyabi already. Or Imu, but how big is that chance?

I wonder if I'm going to like PBS, buy I think it's going to be all right. My expectations aren't pretty high. I'm happy if it just offers some simple, mindless fun, flaws be damned. I guess I'll find out in two weeks... (Living in Europe pays off for once.)

The more girls they add, the less personalized animations and stuff they seem to add. Which is expected and reasonable, but still pretty disappointing.

Peach Beach Splash adds in more unique animations (to the dressing room at least) so every character won't have the same reaction or pose, so it's a start

Burst Re:Newal should follow suit since it's focusing on half of its usual cast, though I doubt it

I wish it was playable Kiriya instead of Yumi

MetalDeer

I know she's popular in Japan, but dammit, I want a 1/6 figure of Miyabi already. Or Imu, but how big is that chance?

You and me both, man...

Edit: Good to hear there's more animations in PBS, at least. But I still feel like they've added so many characters that they're only hurting themselves.

Peach Beach Splash adds in more unique animations (to the dressing room at least) so every character won't have the same reaction or pose, so it's a start

Burst Re:Newal should follow suit since it's focusing on half of its usual cast, though I doubt it

I wish it was playable Kiriya instead of Yumi

That's because PBS doesn't has characters but glorified skins. Other than different animations for their close quarters attacks (that are effectively useless) all the characters are the same.

The second tweet is the one that Takaki retweeted, the one translated is either a parody or someone throwing shade at the people that doesn't like the Versus games.

Samemind

The second tweet is the one that Takaki retweeted, the one translated is either a parody or someone throwing shade at the people that doesn't like the Versus games.

I'm not sure what you're trying to get across, but those are actually accurate translations.
Edit: oh woops too tired, nvm me

ShinMaruku

If the development team likes making versus games, you can't really change that aside from not buying the games. That said I'd like the spin offs it it was in their wheelhouse. I skipped the cooking one and I will skip this peach splash as well.

Well here's a nice surprise. Got an email today from Marvelous Europe that my Limited Edition of PBS has been dispatched. I was fully expecting them to dispatch it on the 22th itself, but I might even receive it earlier than the actual release date now.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Kafuru was easily the least fun character in EV, so hearing she (among everyone else) might get reworked is nice. Part of the problem with the Versus games is that because they have so many characters, it's harder to come up with unique movesets for each of them, so hopefully this'll help.

Putting aside my personal distaste for hunting games, I have serious doubts that Takaki will be able to pull off something this ambitious. It feels like he's pushing the cart before the horse. As it has been pointed out on this very thread recently, the combat system on SK while serving as a good foundation for an action game it ultimately has a ton of kinks to iron out before being able to sustain something on the scope claimed by those rumors.

To not mention it actually flies on the face of Takaki's previous comments about wanting SK to be fun, mindless game that you play in short spurts between playing other more complex games. In my experience with Takaki's own games, he can pull off either one or the other, trying to pull both at the same time only leads to unfun messes (ie. Uppers)

Or the way Takaki's promises don't always hold up like the promise of an entirely new model for the Asuka game.

The talk about skills and movesets being tied to character specific equipment reminds me a lot of Injustice 2's Gear System that is generally thought as being one of the weakest aspects of an otherwise great game.

In general, Takaki is an ideas man that needs someone to rein him in to mold all of his ideas into something functional. Although it also has to be said that as late he seems to have bought his own hype, losing sight of what actually made his earlier works being successes. Again, Uppers is the perfect example of this.

In any case, this guy can be bullshitting us for all we know or things can change a lot on one year so we're just spit balling here. Still, these rumors failed to make me interested on SK7 and instead they made him wary of it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
i've got it

homura & co. hunting game because they still live in that cave & need to find food and stuff

Kagura Hunter

Samemind

I kind of doubt that a Marvelous Games rep would just drop a bunch of info (in English, at that) about an unrevealed game like that.

Making a "hunting" game out of SK doesn't make sense.

It makes perfect sense. After graduating, the shinobi are supposed to go fight Youma, right? And as squads, no less. Senran Kagura 2 even had boss fights against huge monsters.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
No, I mean the game play. Turning a beat em up into a Monster Hunter clone doesn't make sense. I doubt this is going to happen anyway.

Samemind

No, I mean the game play. Turning a beat em up into a Monster Hunter clone doesn't make sense. I doubt this is going to happen anyway.

I would argue it makes more sense than every single other game in the series.

Edit: So what is it that you think doesn't line up between what you perceive Senran Kagura to be and what you think a SK hunting game would be?

Lyte Edge

I would argue it makes more sense than every single other game in the series.

Edit: So what is it that you think doesn't line up between what you perceive Senran Kagura to be and what you think a SK hunting game would be?

Yes, I know when I think "Senran Kagura," I think "Monster Hunter". :p

This is a silly argument. Let's see what the seventh game actually is first.

ShinMaruku

I would like them to expand more into fighting bigger bosses and them having more serious missions, but less so as a hunter game and more as bigger bosses in their style. Because all their stuff outside their wheelhouse has been a big miss.

Samemind

Yes, I know when I think "Senran Kagura," I think "Monster Hunter". :p

This is a silly argument. Let's see what the seventh game actually is first.

When I think of Senran Kagura, I think of character interactions and shinobi duels. Because they've had 5 games to try to make the case that mowing down hordes of enemies is interesting, worthwhile gameplay. Unfortunately, they've proven themselves poor at enemy variety, encounter design and level design. Or at least, they can't make it interesting enough that it justifies being 80% of the game.

If they do something new, there's at least a chance that something better will come of it.

When I think of Senran Kagura, I think of character interactions and shinobi duels. Because they've had 5 games to try to make the case that mowing down hordes of enemies is interesting, worthwhile gameplay. Unfortunately, they've proven themselves poor at enemy variety, encounter design and level design. Or at least, they can't make it interesting enough that it justifies being 80% of the game.

If they do something new, there's at least a chance that something better will come of it.

With those antecedents, the odds of them actually pulling off something that ambitious as those rumors are extremely slim. Specially because as it was pointed out, any deviation from the formula leads to middling games at best.

Samemind

With those antecedents, the odds of them actually pulling off something that ambitious as those rumors are extremely slim. Specially because as it was pointed out, any deviation from the formula leads to middling games at best.

I know, I just want to dream for a second about an SK game that's interesting to play.

Yeah, me too. I was actually expecting it last Monday, but DPD messed up and sent the parcel to France first, before eventually getting it to the Netherlands (where I live). Apparently, there have been quite a few problems with the delivery of the European versions, so I guess I've been lucky to receive mine today, still two days before the actual release date.

Have only played through the tutorial missions and messed around in free training mode so far. I can't really judge how good the game is yet, but it left a favorable first impression. Nothing deep or refined, but fun nonetheless.

A few things I noticed:
- The starting roster consists of the four academies and the three New Wave girls. Was kind of surprised that Renka and her sisters were missing, but I guess they and all the others are eventually unlocked through the story.
- Miyabi's normal hair style is available from the beginning. I really appreciate this.
- Ayame is the default shopkeeper, but you can have any other girl act as shopkeeper (including the uniform) free of charge. It resets when you exit the shop, but it's a nice extra.
- In the lewd department: some outfits actually show nipple bumps. Nothing is actually visible underneath, of course, but I didn't expect they would add such a thing, much less keep it in the localization.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If the development team likes making versus games, you can't really change that aside from not buying the games. That said I'd like the spin offs it it was in their wheelhouse. I skipped the cooking one and I will skip this peach splash as well.

SK2's sales doomed it from ever continuing.

My worst nightmare regarding the series is a remake of 1/2 into a Versus game...which they are doing. I won't buy another SK game that plays like a Versus title.

It's not SK, but I almost picked up Drive Girls yesterday. I ended up passing though I'm still intrigued. For every "had a good time, worth it for $30" review there seems to be a "shame on the pub for promoting this one, worst game on Vita".

Comments? I'm a sucker for contemporary games that feel like they're straight out of the PS1 era. And of course I enjoyed SK SV.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
I like the movement/boosting around. That combined with the big lock-on box for aiming actually reminds me a bit of
Armored Core
for some reason, which is no bad thing.

The reload animations are goofy as heck; I love how they just keep getting faster and faster if you hold down the button. I'm weirdly annoyed though that you can reload your waterguns anywhere and not just in/near water, I feel like that could have been a nice gameplay element.

Also: I need to remember when I get home today to go into the dressing room and colour code all the swimsuits by schools. Something about everyone wearing the same white two/one piece swimsuits bothers me.

Moose Biscuits

You want it on Switch though, for that HD Rumble

I was sorta disappointed by the lack of talk on here about PBS over the weekend until I realised that it's not out in the USA until the 26th. Still, people must have received preorders early, right?

Finished Hanzo's story first, now onto New Hebi. I'm liking that there's some semblance of character growth and time progression, even in a silly side game like this one: makes me look forward to 7EVEN, whenever that happens.

I've been favouring the bazooka over other weapons, I like nailing enemies with fastball specials, although it feels like it could deal a bit more AOE. Haven't given the sniper rifle or dual pistols much time yet though.

Demoskinos

I was sorta disappointed by the lack of talk on here about PBS over the weekend until I realised that it's not out in the USA until the 26th. Still, people must have received preorders early, right?

Finished Hanzo's story first, now onto New Hebi. I'm liking that there's some semblance of character growth and time progression, even in a silly side game like this one: makes me look forward to 7EVEN, whenever that happens.

I've been favouring the bazooka over other weapons, I like nailing enemies with fastball specials, although it feels like it could deal a bit more AOE. Haven't given the sniper rifle or dual pistols much time yet though.

Its actually a main entry.

https://twitter.com/kenichiro_taka/status/783916606426460161

There is basically one timeline now and its the versus timeline. PBS and the upcoming SK7 are both in that same timeline as is SV and EV.

I'm almost done with the story. It's entertaining, but also a step back compared to Estival Versus. Most of the melodrama just felt so pointless. Crimson Squad's arc was fun, though.

My favorite weapon is the sniper rifle (in the hands of Ryobi of course), although the grenade launcher is growing on me. I had a blast blazing around with Mirai and annihilating whole groups of mooks with my grenades. Maybe its due to her small size, but she seems to be a lot faster than other characters.

The only thing I dislike so far is how you're reliant on your team members to get into soaking wet mode. I guess it's easier to do in multiplayer, but in singleplayer you actively have to seek out team members and block their shots to get wet. (Although the AI has surprised me at times by spraying me wet on its own accord during the downtime between mook spawns). I would've liked to be more in control of when to activate it, so you could treat it more like a temporary power-up in cases of emergency.

Moose Biscuits

I'm almost done with the story. It's entertaining, but also a step back compared to Estival Versus. Most of the melodrama just felt so pointless. Crimson Squad's arc was fun, though.

My favorite weapon is the sniper rifle (in the hands of Ryobi of course), although the grenade launcher is growing on me. I had a blast blazing around with Mirai and annihilating whole groups of mooks with my grenades. Maybe its due to her small size, but she seems to be a lot faster than other characters.

The only thing I dislike so far is how you're reliant on your team members to get into soaking wet mode. I guess it's easier to do in multiplayer, but in singleplayer you actively have to seek out team members and block their shots to get wet. (Although the AI has surprised me at times by spraying me wet on its own accord during the downtime between mook spawns). I would've liked to be more in control of when to activate it, so you could treat it more like a temporary power-up in cases of emergency.

I don't actually know yet what soaking mode does at this point? There are cards to increase your gauge though.

I don't actually know yet what soaking mode does at this point? There are cards to increase your gauge though.

It's addressed briefly in one of the tutorials. Ever seen team members surrounded by a rainbow colored glow? That's it. Underneath your health, there's a blue bar that fills up as you get wet. Once full, it activates soaking wet mode, which is basically, as far as I'm aware, an 'unlimited water' mode. You can guess how strong this is when fighting with a sniper rifle or the gatling gun.

I think it also fills up when you're hit by attacks and you can supposedly raise it by AoE damage as well. The most efficient way is for your team members to shoot at you, however (which doesn't inflict damage).

Edit:
Oh, man. That final battle. Never change, Senran Kagura.

And shit, first time seeing the stinger.
Shit's gonna go down in 7even.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Anybody care to make the PBS OT?
I can whip it out tonight but it'd be better if somebody can do it sooner rather than later.
I can help out with posting all the DLC that gets release & linking to it if anyone wants help with that. Seems to be the trend that I do that for all the Sony SK games.

Lyte Edge

Not a good first impression on the localized version- hopped online hoping things would be better than the J-version. Waited way too long to get into a ranked match, which started...and promptly disconnected several minutes later. :|

I can help out with posting all the DLC that gets release & linking to it if anyone wants help with that. Seems to be the trend that I do that for all the Sony SK games.
That'd be great! Seems like I'll probably be the one to make the OT then.
If you're on tonight should I let you know when I'm about to post it so you can claim the second post and maybe keep it updated?
Totally cool if you refuse, that's a lot of work to take on, haha.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
If it was multiple systems like with SV, it would've been a pain, but being only PS4, it shouldn't be as tedious.

Though damn, already 54 pieces of DLC, some of which are just bundles of items.

ShinMaruku

Sounds like the perfect game to skip. But to be honest even if it was great I would not have bought it because I don't like that genre. But it is somewhat refreshing to see them try new stuff.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Considering how much DLC there is, I think I'm just gonna link to the actual DLC pack & any bundles, it's too much of a pain to deal with linking every single piece of DLC. I'll still list them out so people can easily see what you get, but considering some bundles have 10 items, I don't think people are gonna click each link.

Top Bottom