• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miniature Gaming-Age (WH40k, Warmachine, Etc.)

Leunam

Uat8BOW.jpg

About 274 points of Nomads for Infinity. I've still got room for a hacker so that'll round out my starter.

My friends and I are starting a campaign for Infinity soon. Originally we were going to use infinity rules but proxy the models with 40k units. I have more than enough unassembled kits for them to use and the rules are free online so it seemed like the perfect plan. Then one guy said he was just going to buy an Infinity Army and I'm thinking that I can't be outdone so now I had to buy an army too (I gave away my Infinity stuff, terrain and all, years ago).

So here we are. Five man league and we're all running different armies. Sure hope I can share our league progress.

The Orruk army continues to grow...

Ironjawz Orruk Megaboss

And now my wife wants to get into Zombicide, so I'll probably have plenty of those coming in soon too. I think she already ordered a Black Plague box.

Also still waiting on my Massive Darkness kickstarter. Apparently they messed up my order and never actually sent me my stuff. Working through customer support to actually get my rewards (or at least my money back since my LGS has like 8 boxes sitting on the shelf right now).

Your orc looks great.

Good luck on the Zombicide: Black Plague painting. I have really enjoyed painting the original. Because of that, not sure I would personally ever do Black Plague, lol.

But my preplanning on Zombicide painting saved me a world of headaches and the entire project benefited from well thought out foresight. If you plan on really digging into Black Plague, take a long hard look at the entire range of miniatures from the expansion to extra box sets and base a painting plan around getting everything eventually. You won't be sorry!

Great game too, btw.

RMI

Banned
A little progress for my 30k stuff, here's some pics of my heavy support las cannon deathguard in action.

gonna take a brief break from death guard. I have some epic scale 30k cerastus knight lancers to paint (there is a guy in australia who makes epic scale models for 30k) and then I am going to do a zone mortalis force of loyalist Emperor's Children, so lots of stuff to keep me busy. I have more knights on order but who knows when they'll show up.

Just sniped a bunch of Tau stuff on eBay. For some reason it was listed under Necrons and had an awful photo which made the listing look like one for random bits.

It’s all off the sprue and unassembled with no instructions which must have helped me get it at such a low price.

I got a squad of Fire Warriors, a squad of Kroot, four Crisis suits, 16 drones and a Hammerhead for £25. Landed.

Bizazedo

So I am finally getting into tabletop mini gaming. Well, I want to. Thing is, with Muscular Dystrophy, I don't think I'll be able to paint them....or paint them well. The muscles in the hand just won't do the control I feel I'll need.

At least, I don't think so.

Anyhoo, is there a resource to hire painters / buy already painted armies? I am skittish about rip off artists on ebay, but I figured y'all would know some good sources.

Brakke

Banned
Commission painting for minis is definitely a thing. Your best bet for reliability is probably to ask around your local store (in person or chances are they have a Facebook group) for references.

Leunam

Some friends getting started in their first game of Infinity. Ariadna vs. Pan Oceania being proxies as Chaos vs. Tau.

I've already ordered a full tables worth of buildings and I'll be ordering a mat later in the week. The table won't look so rough after that.

barik

So I am finally getting into tabletop mini gaming. Well, I want to. Thing is, with Muscular Dystrophy, I don't think I'll be able to paint them....or paint them well. The muscles in the hand just won't do the control I feel I'll need.

Anyhoo, is there a resource to hire painters / buy already painted armies? I am skittish about rip off artists on ebay, but I figured y'all would know some good sources.

It's probably going to be a pricy endeavor but the ones I've got in my bookmarks are:

http://www.denofimagination.com/
http://taleofpainters.blogspot.nl/
http://gmmstudios.blogspot.nl/

This option is usually super pricey.

If you don’t mind me asking, how debilitating is your disorder? You may actually be able to work around the painting part. The assembly of an army, not so much.

For instance, a Necron army primed black and sprayed overhead with 2 different silvers and possibly dipped in an army painter dip would be absolutely serviceable. Smear some Agrellan Badland on the base and add a static clump of grass here and there and you’re gtg.

To continue on what Eskimo said, I have recently done some experiments with zenithial undecoats and washes. Just black spray from under and white or gray from above and some different colour washes can give great results with zero precicion work.

Also many people paint the new Death Guard minis by spraying white and then using washes. Again, great results with generally very little precicion needed.

After a quick Google search, I found this one from Reddit. They say it's mostly just white primer and various washes.

Leunam

Work in progress piece of terrain.

I initially wanted it to look very alien and I wanted to mimic the landscape from Nessus in Destiny 2. For those of you who don't know, Nessus is a planet with deep red flora and white cubed stone. There are variations of course but that's the main design element I wanted to copy. Red grass is easy enough to do, just glue down first and primer coat over it then paint red in the end. Red flock for trees is harder to come by and might be a little tougher to do though I have some ideas.

Instead I'll keep the white cube thing going and use green flock for the trees and overgrowth. I'll switch over to red foliage and maybe tan stone like the base here later on to change it up and make it a really alien planet. This way I can potentially cover three to four kinds of theaters of war (urban, forest, alien, desert) for Warhammer and Infinity. At this point the basing is done, I just need to sponge on the white and grey for stone and then flock it all.

As for the materials, I used plasticard for the base, styrofoam blocks for the stone, coarse basing from Citadel for where the stone meets the ground, finer sand for the basing, and Woodland Scenics trees for the tree at the top. The roots had to be made from green stuff. I don't think I'll ever get it right. The styrofoam was bought in sheets from the model railroad section of my local hobby shop and had to be glued down with PVA since anything else is too corrosive probably and then hand painted with black acrylic so the propellant from the primer wouldn't eat the foam.

The issue with painting with washes is that while its easy to make one figure look nice its maddening to try and make an army look uniform. Alas zero precision means zero control; the outcome may be guaranteed half decent but not necesarily what you want.

Leunam

Finished the piece from last night, with a WIP Mobile Brigada for scale.

I wasn't satisfied with it but I've warmed up to it overnight. I think once I have a set of five pieces made I'll be happier since the theme will spread out over a section of a table instead of just being one random piece.

Leunam

Yeah it's designed for Infinity and Shadow War: Armageddon. A 28mm infantry model will fit through that gap. And the big blocks will block line of sight on a TAG or Dreadnought sized unit. Can never have too much cover in skirmish games y'know?

Nete

Talking of terrain, in my club we are creating a modular table for 28mm skirmish games. Eight 60x60cm modules with different channel shapes to combine in multiple ways for either two 120x120 tables (Necromunda, Shadow War...) or a 120x180 (or 120x240 if we are crazy enough) terrain for 40k or similar.

Still needs a lot of work and we haven't even started with all the shit we'll put over the surface, but it's starting to come together.

Leunam

That looks fantastic. I take it you made moulds for the tiles? I've been wanting to make brown stuff molds for some bits myself, mostly greebles. I've made green stuff moulds for the leafy part of Citadel trees before.

That's going to look even more incredible once it's painted.

EDIT: These are channels for a city type board right? If so you're on track to building my dream board. :D

Nete

EDIT: These are channels for a city type board right? If so you're on track to building my dream board. :D

Yep. The original idea was to create something for Shadow War (and now Necromunda, thanks GW) while keeping it useful for 40k, Infinity or whatever, so it will be an urban table filled of non-fixed buildings and shit, either pre-designed or build by ourselves. For example:

The bridge is a laser cut prototype and we'll create a good number of them either to cross the channels or to connect buildings.

And yup, all the channel tiles (and walls, ladders and other things) were cloned using molds. I have no idea from where the originals are for most of them, but for instance the walls are plastic pieces that GW used for 40k/Necromunda buildings back in the 90's.

Leunam

Killer.

I actually have something like 20 or so of those old Necromunda walls. I've had then for a few years now and they're a precious resource so I haven't actually used them for anything yet. Maybe cloning them would be the best way to go.

Looking forward to seeing more progress on your table. Urban terrain is my favorite setting and you guys are nailing it so far.

Leunam

Plasticard dumpster. Really the first time I've ever made a piece of terrain solely from plasticard like this, usually I just add bits to other plastic kits.

Adding those panels on the front and sides goes a long way to making it look sci-fi and visually less boring.

EDIT: And a plasticard vending machine. Still WIP but this is all the progress I made tonight.

it's been fun, you guys

It sure has! Thanks for helping me with Lanyssa!

Well then. I'm still here. Pretty unsure what to do as I haven't been that active on GAF for a while anyway. I'm probably going to see how things go here and on the new forum(s) for a while and make decisions later.

Mikeside

It sure has! Thanks for helping me with Lanyssa!

Well then. I'm still here. Pretty unsure what to do as I haven't been that active on GAF for a while anyway. I'm probably going to see how things go here and on the new forum(s) for a while and make decisions later.

I think I'll be largely absent on GAF now, depending if it picks up again with new ownership.

Hit me up on twitter @iammikeside and I'll be on slaent (have set up a thread there) and the new forum :)
Would like to stay in touch with a bunch of you. I wasn't SUPER active but this is a great community

Leunam

Looks like no more invites to the new forum. You'll have to wait until it opens up for everyone.

In the meantime I hope to see some of y'all over there, whether you decide to make the jump or still want to keep a foot in both places. I'm not liking the direction this forum is taking regarding what can be discussed and what can't so this may be one of the if not the last post I make here.

It was great sharing this hobby with y'all, newbie and veteran warmasters, and novice and professional painters.

If anyone of the old guard who relocated still reads this. It seems I cannot sign in on new place because my only professional email is a .fi one.

So, if this is goodbye, I want to say thanks for all the advice and support and wish you all great hobby times!

If anyone of the old guard who relocated still reads this. It seems I cannot sign in on new place because my only professional email is a .fi one.

So, if this is goodbye, I want to say thanks for all the advice and support and wish you all great hobby times!

They had a problem with the emails system but I think they fixed it, but if you still have difficulty let me know and I can help :)

Top Bottom