• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gunman Clive Sales: 3DS > Android > iOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I'd say its due to it being featured on the eShop quite prominently mixed with slimmer pickins than the competition.
I'd say it's due to a cheap price that's at parity with every other version. Any other iOS/Android-esque game or port on the shop comes with a grossly inflated, totally arbitrary 'console tax' tacked on.

Surprised we haven't seen devs rush to offer lower-priced fare since Clive, given how transparent beril's been with the numbers. There's clearly a market for impulse-buy priced apps on the system, but nobody's playing ball.

So happy to see this game continuing to do well!

I'd say it's due to a cheap price that's at parity with every other version. Any other iOS/Android-esque game or port on the shop comes with a grossly inflated, totally arbitrary 'console tax' tacked on.

Surprised we haven't seen devs rush to offer lower-priced fare since Clive, given how transparent beril's been with the numbers. There's clearly a market for impulse-buy priced apps on the system, but nobody's playing ball.

Yeah, I was hoping the success of Gunman Clive would make other publishers take note of their pricing on eShop (and PSN etc.) for mobile ports. I think it was like $2.50 on the AU eShop, which was by far the cheapest game available for 3DS, and over a year later it still is. In that time we've seen other mobile ports like Cut the Rope, Aqua Moto Racer and SpeedX being released on the eShop at about five to ten times the price of the iOS version.

I know having to get dedicated console/handheld games classified worldwide comes into the price, but damn. Some publishers are just insane with the price inflations.

beril

I'd say its due to it being featured on the eShop quite prominently mixed with slimmer pickins than the competition.

I don't really keep track of all the exposure I get in the eShop anymore, but I've certainly seen some good promotion from Nintendo for which I'm really grateful.

However, whatever way people want to rationalize the success doesn't really matter. The main reason for me to share my experience is to inform and shed some light the market space that could hopefully be useful to other devs. If you can explain that easily why I'm having more success on one platform over the other that's fine, and I don't necessarily disagree with your conclusion, but that doesn't mean the exact same logic couldn't apply to more games and be valuable info for other devs.

There is still room for more many indies on the eShop before it gets nearly as saturated as Steam (or the app stores), and it's easier to release on 3DS than Steam. I'm not claiming that eShop is a bigger market than the others. There's certainly many way more successful games out there on all the markets, while I think I'm in the top 20 in most regions for eShop. But it can be a great market for indies and I don't think I've done anything special that couldn't apply to other devs.

Sorry for the rant. I'm a bit drunk and get a bit annoyed at quick, seemingly dismissive remarks (I'm not really sure if that's how you intended it).

How well is the linux version doing on steam compared to windows?
Or are those stats not known?

Don't have a linux version, sorry

L Thammy

It's really cool that you post this stuff, Beril. Thanks.

With regards to the Steam sales. There's quite a few possible factors. There's certainly going to be people be waiting for sales. I'm certainly the type.

The Steam audience may be less interested in this genre than the 3DS one - in which case, we would could see Shovel Knight and Mighty No. 9 do well on the platform. There's also the possibility that Steam users have bought the game already. I'd imagine that a larger percentage of them would be heavily into gaming than the mobile phone audience.

Hero

I don't really keep track of all the exposure I get in the eShop anymore, but I've certainly seen some good promotion from Nintendo for which I'm really grateful.

However, whatever way people want to rationalize the success doesn't really matter. The main reason for me to share my experience is to inform and shed some light the market space that could hopefully be useful to other devs. If you can explain that easily why I'm having more success on one platform over the other that's fine, and I don't necessarily disagree with your conclusion, but that doesn't mean the exact same logic couldn't apply to more games and be valuable info for other devs.

There is still room for more many indies on the eShop before it gets nearly as saturated as Steam (or the app stores), and it's easier to release on 3DS than Steam. I'm not claiming that eShop is a bigger market than the others. There's certainly many way more successful games out there on all the markets, while I think I'm in the top 20 in most regions for eShop. But it can be a great market for indies and I don't think I've done anything special that couldn't apply to other devs.

Sorry for the rant. I'm a bit drunk and get a bit annoyed at quick, seemingly dismissive remarks (I'm not really sure if that's how you intended it).

Don't have a linux version, sorry

Don't apologize to a drive-by troll junior, but that makes you classy.

I tell every new 3DS owner I meet to check out your game.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Please don't bump threads, especially to post stuff that has its own thread that's active right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom