• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Evil Within 2 / Psycho Break 2 in production

Hoping for The Evil Within 2. That game kinda rubbed me the wrong way first due to it's many performance problems and some "gotcha!" moments, but I ended up really enjoying it. Enough to platinum it on PS4, anyways.

The game is not bad but at the same time not fully realized.

It was supposed to be the spiritual successor of RE4 but regressed to a mishmash of horror themes and disjointed levels with solid gameplay mechanics. Not to mention the plot and the bad guys were never intimidating so it took me out of the immersion.

An open-world with more grounded plot, thick atmosphere backed up by a great OST and an actual intimidating villain can potentially make TEW2 a genre defining game.

Syder

I'd love to see Tango Gameworks get a second crack with this franchise. TEW had a lot wrong with it but I haven't played a game in that style executed that well in a long time.

The previews looked like Resi 4 x Silent Hill but much of the game felt like newer Silent Hill games. The story kinda went batshit crazy and not in a good way.

The next entry would have to run completely flawlessly too.

Vandole

I just finished my first playthrough of this game and the DLC missions for it this past week. Overall I liked it a lot. It had some painfully bad pacing issues, and it went to the well a little too often on some of the cheap jump scares. The story was really good though and I was very satisfied with all of the reveals. If they work out the technical issues and speed things up a bit, I think they could have a brilliant game.

sjay1994

So... I can't make threads anymore, but read this on /v/. As usual take it with a large grain of salt, but this all does sound some what feasible.

>It takes place 3 weeks after the first game.
>You play as a freelance journalist named Randell Cooper, who traveled out of state to do a story on the Beacon Mental Hospital massacre from the first game and is also where his brother worked as a doctor. On the belief that the story is being covered, you take control of him sneaking into the hospital at night. This is the prologue
>Most of the game will take place at Randell's home city along with towns and areas outside of it after the prologue. It's called ”Riverfall City".
>Unlike the first game it will run on it's own engine specifically created for it. A lot of names are being thrown around but the most common name for it now is ”Nightlight Engine".
>It's scheduled to be released somewhere around October 2018. The first trailer will be released on this years E3 and a demo is plan to be playable later in the year.
>It will feature backtracking, something wasn't in the first game.
>Certain enemies don't die for good like in the first game.
>The burning mechanic is a bit more complicated than in the previous game. Randell is equipped with a lighter, and oil is used to burn enemies. Oil is limited and has to be collected just like the matches.
>You are able to ”dual-wield" of sorts. You can hold a flashlight while holding a gun.
>Saving is done by using water. Take a lake, puddle, or sink for example.
>Unlike the first game there isn't a sole ending, there are at least three. They can be triggered by a certain way you play the game.
>Bosses can now be defeated in multiple ways.
>The tone has a more of a ”Silent Hill-vibe" than the Resident Evil one.
>The upgrade system is removed. But certain stats can be increased for a limited time by different colored syringes.
>Healing is done by health kits.
>There is going to be a short live-action prequel. It stars the SWAT team investigating Beacon Mental Hospital right at the end of the first game.
>There is DLC planned. One stars the Keeper's daughter from the Executioner DLC with stealth as it's main control scheme. The other one is only in the planning stages but it apparently stars Joseph. There are also talks about VR with it.
>Shinji Mikami is not involved.
>Bethesda expects to sell over 4 million.

So yeah, grain of salt, but imo doesn't sound unfeasible, also I don't think people are really chomping at the bit for TEW2, so once again kinda feasible.

So... I can't make threads anymore, but read this on /v/. As usual take it with a large grain of salt, but this all does sound some what feasible.

So yeah, grain of salt, but imo doesn't sound unfeasible, also I don't think people are really chomping at the bit for TEW2, so once again kinda feasible.
Interesting, but concerning if true. So they're going RE2 with this?

myco666

Enemies that can't be killed and no upgrading? Did they just look at RE7 and decide to mimic that? Really hoping that these ain't true.

Dlc planned for a game that's 17 months out, or more, seems suspect.

Why create a new engine if Shinji Mikami is gone? That seems weird. Making a new engine is expensive. It seems like with Mikami out, you'd want your risk to lower not raise, and creating an engine for the game is risky for no reason.

idk. Too much detail for a game that's so far out. Timing is suspect too. Someone probably saw this listing leak and decided to come up with some bs.

sjay1994

Why create a new engine if Shinji Mikami is gone? That seems weird. Making a new engine is expensive. It seems like with Mikami out, you'd want your risk to lower not raise, and creating an engine for the game is risky for no reason.

idk. Too much detail for a game that's so far out. Timing is suspect too. Someone probably saw this listing leak and decided to come up with some bs.

Like I said "grain of salt"

However, I feel that if Mikami is actually gone, Bethesda would probably take more control over it, and considering that the first game is pretty well known for its performance issues, a new engine would make sense. Especially since Dishonored 2 runs on a new engine while the original ran on UE3. It wouldn't be unheard of.

But yes, the dlc part does sound suspect.

Only reason I felt it was feasible is because I don't really think evil within is a game people are clamoring over for the average fake /v/ leak, but you could also be right about them just seeing the rumor and making some shit up

Like I said "grain of salt"

However, I feel that if Mikami is actually gone, Bethesda would probably take more control over it, and considering that the first game is pretty well known for its performance issues, a new engine would make sense. Especially since Dishonored 2 runs on a new engine while the original ran on UE3

Did the Evil Within sell that well, though? It made sense with Dishonored because it was commercially and critically acclaimed. Evil Within was received lukewarm critically, at best. Having trouble finding receipts on how well it sold, which usually isn't good. Just seems weird to double down on it.

Actually, as another discredit to this "leak" vgchatz has the Evil Within global total listed as 4 mil. Weird coincidence.

kiri

Don't know if it has been confirmed by anyone else here yet but yes, they are currently making Psycho Break 2.

I know as my friend is working on it, feel free to check my older posts discussing the first game to show that I have history with the company.

Having dlc planned 17 months is not that radical. You need to know if you are going to make it at all, allocate resources and if it should be included in a season pass.

Mifec

Why not just continue on with Kid and Sebastian especially after the tease at the end of her DLC.

With Seb's wife and all.

myco666

Did the Evil Within sell that well, though? It made sense with Dishonored because it was commercially and critically acclaimed. Evil Within was received lukewarm critically, at best. Having trouble finding receipts on how well it sold, which usually isn't good. Just seems weird to double down on it.

Actually, as another discredit to this "leak" vgchatz has the Evil Within global total listed as 4 mil. Weird coincidence.

I think Bethesda has said that it sold enough to warrant a sequel. Don't remember any numbers being mentioned.

Why not just continue on with Kid and Sebastian especially after the tease at the end of her DLC.

With Seb's wife and all.

I would honestly put that /v/ leak as a made up thing for now. It would really make much more sense to go with Sebastian and Kidman instead of having totally new character introduced.

Mifec

I think Bethesda has said that it sold enough to warrant a sequel. Don't remember any numbers being mentioned.

I would honestly put that /v/ leak as a made up thing for now. It would really make much more sense to go with Sebastian and Kidman instead of having totally new character introduced.

Oh I am. Would be a baffling choice for them still.

Jawmuncher

That leak doesn't sound too bad. More in line with what I thought TEW would have been in the first place. Can't say I ever really felt a RE tone (outside a few things) from the first game, but that's neither here nor there.

Mifec

That leak doesn't sound too bad. More in line with what I thought TEW would have been in the first place. Can't say I ever really felt a RE tone (outside a few things) from the first game, but that's neither here nor there.

The hospital before Laura gave me a pretty good SH vibe, when you walk around and the only enemy are the invisible squid duders. The darkness and the great sound made it really atmospheric.

That and the mansion were my fav parts.

dcx4610

The original had its flaws but man, the game was long and had so much variety in terms of stages and settings. It had a lot of tension that I haven't felt in other games. The graphics were also amazing (outside of the character graphics).

For those that haven't played it and want a RE4 type game, play it but play it on PC. 60fps+ and turn off the letterbox and you have a good experience.

DirtyLarry

Count me in. I never gave up on the first game and eventually beat it. Took me 4 to 5 months (on PS4), which waiting did help a bit as patches helped it a tad for a performance perspective. I still really enjoyed it even with the performance issues. The word that comes to mind for it is bonkers. Everything was just bonkers in a good way.

Huge bullshit. Huge, big, fat bullshit on this. Red flags all over this post. Let's just go through it.

- If the protag is investigating the Beacon incident, why would he be literally anywhere other than Krimson City or Elk River? "Riverfall City" get the hell out with that.
- "Nightlight Engine." Tango was recruiting people with knowledge of Unreal 4.
- If Tango's already looking for QA, the idea that this game is a year and a half from release is laughable.
- ALL enemies died "for good" in the first game. Whoever wrote this list got confused with REmake zombies turning into Crimson Heads.
- Saving using water makes no sense and isn't thematically consistent with the first game.
- Bosses were ALWAYS able to be defeated in "multiple ways."
- Talks of VR make no sense if the game will be third person.
- "Shinji Mikami is not involved." Biggest tip of the hand in this list. I would believe that Mikami wasn't directing, but to claim he's not involved at all when HE'S THE OWNER OF TANGO GAMEWORKS is downright batty. Even when he handed RE2 off to Kamiya, he was still credited as a Producer.

Don't know if it has been confirmed by anyone else here yet but yes, they are currently making Psycho Break 2.

I know as my friend is working on it, feel free to check my older posts discussing the first game to show that I have history with the company.

#TEW2isConfirmedParty!!!!!

Thank you, kiri!!

Mikami should take on being producer for this game to grant himself energy-saving power to come up with a new type of game he really wants to develop in his spare time.

All I want is for them to ditch the id tech 5 engine and give us a polished, well optimized game.

Yeah, I played on PC. Before I upgraded I got a locked 30fps, but they didn't have the option to remove the black bars yet. I got tired of it and quit.

Once I upgraded my PC for 60fps and removed black bars it was much more tolerable.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Evil Within was called Psycho Break in Japan?

thats a much better name :(

Wait, if Mikami isn't involved, where the hell is he?

Wait, if Mikami isn't involved, where the hell is he?

Honestly if this wasn't the biggest tip-off that that "leak" was just a bunch of made up BS, I don't know what is. Mikami never just abandons a project like that; he's always kept on as some form of producer or at the very least a consultant.

I remember reading an article about the creation of the DLCs for TEW, and the dude who helmed the project had Mikami on speed dial to check with him on every little thing, even though Mikami himself wasn't writing or directing. IIRC, Mikami was credited as a Producer for them.

To think he's not involved at all is insanity, especially since he said that he never wanted Tango as a studio to grow beyond 100 employees. Doubtful that he's off working on another project right now.

sphinx

the piano man
this

That game kinda rubbed me the wrong way first due to it's many performance problems and some "gotcha!" moments.

and this

Enough to platinum it on PS4, anyways.

can't fit together in the same sentence :)

if you platinum'd that motherfucker, you are a hardcore, diehard, day-one Evil Within warrior, nothing less.

this

and this

can't fit together in the same sentence :)

if you platinum'd that motherfucker, you are a hardcore, diehard, day-one Evil Within warrior, nothing less.

He said at first though. Honestly, the game gets better and better the more you play it. I don't think you understand how good the game is until the second playthrough.

Jawmuncher

Wouldn't be surprised if the leak is real but not 100%. Things do change, and "not working on it" in the leakers eyes could just mean he's not directing. I wouldn't say Shinji Mikami worked on Dino Crisis 3 despite being a producer on that as well.

sphinx

the piano man
He said at first though. Honestly, the game gets better and better the more you play it. I don't think you understand how good the game is until the second playthrough.

I know I also Platinum'd it,

Akumu turned Evil Within into the hardest game I have played in my life

Wouldn't be surprised if the leak is real but not 100%. Things do change, and "not working on it" in the leakers eyes could just mean he's not directing. I wouldn't say Shinji Mikami worked on Dino Crisis 3 despite being a producer on that as well.

But there's very little in that "leak" that actually coincides with what we know about the project already, what Mikami has said in the past about the studio and his vision for it, or actual, factual knowledge of the first game. It doesn't even line up properly with Bethesda's announcement/release scheduling. Ever since Bethesda started hosting E3 showcases, they've NEVER announced a game a year and a half ahead of its release, unintended delays notwithstanding. It's not something they plan for. I believe Pete Hines or someone similar even made a statement about it.

It's a fantasy. The whole thing reads like a survival horror purist's wet dream wishlist, and none of it appears mired in facts.

Maybe Executive Producer or some such title? Maybe the studio expanded a lot and thy're making two games at once which he is helming?

Like I said before, Mikami outright stated that he didn't want the studio to expand beyond 100 employees. If Tango's gotten that big that quickly, there was a lot of Bethesda arm-twisting involved, and that's never a good sign.

kodecraft

Isn't Mikami's protege game designer directing this? I forgot her name. That's probably what the leak stating "Mikami is not involved" is about....I take that as possibly not in the directing role.

Anyways, I'm interested to see what this young up and coming director can do.

Top Bottom