• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

Might be crazy but I'm already kinda of looking into the next new bike I'd get, probably a year after riding my current Wee, and what I'm looking for fits your description exactly. Let us know what you end up getting!

You sound just like me. That may not be a good thing...!

OraleeWey

Those two guys are great. I like their videos, high quality stuff.

Nothing wrong with that, plenty of people end up with garages full of Harleys, or sportsbikes, or whatever. Of course with a garage of ADV bikes you'll have to do a major continent-crossing trip... or do like the bloke from Wisconsin I met on the tunnel and ship your ADV bike over to Europe
I'll do a big trip for sure. I have some family in California. I am slowly preparing for something. I have to be able to fix things on my own and lately I have been getting more and more comfortable doing things to my bike. If I want to go to California for example, I'll have to know how to do stuff like changing the tubes (or patching them) if it comes down to it. I'm slowly building on my tools and learning more about my bike. Honestly, the center stand makes life easy! So before I do anything that big I want to be prepared.
Something like going to Europe is far out though but I'm not against the idea.
But videos like these really encourage you to get out there yourself. Especially if you have the same bike.
https://youtu.be/i6w4kkJaM_M

https://youtu.be/nd72AaVmQDU

Might be crazy but I'm already kinda of looking into the next new bike I'd get, probably a year after riding my current Wee, and what I'm looking for fits your description exactly. Let us know what you end up getting!
I'll let you guys know for sure. I'm probably a year out as well. I am leaning a lot towards the FJ-09 though. I had that "I already want something else" itch very early on as well after buying my 06 KLR. I wanted a sports bike. But over time I fell in love with the klr the more comfortable I got and decided that I wanted to get a 2016 and customize it to my linking. Best decision ever. As for the sport bike, I decided those were lower on my list. I prefer naked bikes.

What bikes are you looking into?

Xtyle

Oh my god. I just crashed my Vespa scooter on my first real testing it...I rode it before but was just in front of my house...today I was going around the community (it is not streets) and I stopped in the middle of the road that only has a left or right turn...so I turned left and I guess maybe I went too fast or my turn was not tight enough as I saw myself heading outside the curb and I saw a street lamp pole right in front of where I was headed...I tried to turn more but I think I was in panic and didn't do it right and not even breaking...

the right side of my Vespa hit the pole and I flew off the scooter...I hit my chin on the ground...luckily I was wearing glow and study clothing. The front right of the scooter is destroyed. But honestly I am happy I only have to deal with a somewhat painful chin and my knees got hit but no scratches anywhere on my body.

Sucks but I should be more careful.

Ocho

Great video! Watching some old ones now.

What bikes are you looking into?

If I'm being honest, the BMW GSs are at the top of my list. Those things look beautiful. Super Tenere, VFR1200X, KTM 1290/1090, and a new Vstrom are also bookmarked.

Oh my god. I just crashed my Vespa scooter on my first real testing it...I rode it before but was just in front of my house...today I was going around the community (it is not streets) and I stopped in the middle of the road that only has a left or right turn...so I turned left and I guess maybe I went too fast or my turn was not tight enough as I saw myself heading outside the curb and I saw a street lamp pole right in front of where I was headed...I tried to turn more but I think I was in panic and didn't do it right and not even breaking...

the right side of my Vespa hit the pole and I flew off the scooter...I hit my chin on the ground...luckily I was wearing glow and study clothing. The front right of the scooter is destroyed. But honestly I am happy I only have to deal with a somewhat painful chin and my knees got hit but no scratches anywhere on my body.

Sucks but I should be more careful.

Glad you're only a little bit hurt. Chin damage is the reason why full helmet, all the time. How's the scooter? Live and learn.

Xtyle

Scooter front right is completely damaged and front left has some damage from the fall. Some other scratches area on the left side but I didn't see damage or scratch on the metal body parts (Vespa). Rear break on The handle is bend. The light indicators are still working but the key can't be used as that area is crushed and the key stuck in there. I will have to call dealer to see if they can repair it. Seems to be just body damage.

I am ok and just have a slight reddish area on the chin...it is definitely a hard lesson but I am glad it didn't hurt me much physically.

Oh and yes, I will always wear my helmet now. I thought it was just riding exercise and didn't put it on but I am fully on board with full gear all the time now, no joke...could have been way worse.

Watevaman

Sounds like a case of target fixation. You probably locked eyes on the pole and then your involuntary actions took you there. Glad you are ok. Bikes can be repaired and replaced, your body has a harder time with that.

Xtyle

It was exactly target fixation. Once I saw the pole or the edge of the road I forgot how to react to turn the bike tighter. Live and learn I guess.

Xtyle

I just got the insurance for the bike before taking it to ride...can I claim insurance for that? Or should I wait a little while and report the accident to have happened on a later day to make it less suspicious?

I just got the insurance for the bike before taking it to ride...can I claim insurance for that? Or should I wait a little while and report the accident to have happened on a later day to make it less suspicious?

Did you get all risk insurance?

If you got the insurance before the accident. By all means, claim it.

Dougald

Definitely sounds like standard target fixation. When I was on my first lesson I did exactly the same thing, started turning, couldn't stop staring at a lamp post so of course I mounted the pavement and nearly hit the damn thing.

Dougald

2018 Monster 821. I love that yellow.

BrfLyXD.jpg

3MDIhxk.jpg

Dougald

Looks like they are playing it safe on the design front. If it works dont change it. My old 1150GS was that colour.

You're not kidding there I can hardly tell the difference

Great color, but I'm not really a fan of the rest of the design. Starts to look a bit like the Gladius,

Of course, the SV/Gladius was always a poor mans monster anyway! That model would look a lot less cheap if they painted the frame yellow as well. Too bulky in all-black.

Dougald

I took the R1150R out yesterday (the Monster is stuck in the garage behind several hundred kg of bathroom tiles) and I discovered a critical flaw with the Boxer engine... I got stuck between a van and an oversized SUV. On the Ducati I'd have gone straight through

The SUV was a Porsche so I didn't fancy getting anywhere near it

Ocho

They offered complementary insurance for the rest of the day when I got mine (geico), maybe you got it as well.

Dougald

It’s a great little series, I like the lower-budget MC commute Zack Courts does too.

That, 44Teeth and the occasional RJ video are the only bike content I regularly watch on YouTube these days. The 44T Nurburgring 2-parter was pretty good.

OraleeWey

After work yesterday I went for a nice little night time ride. Ended up making a transaction at my local bank.

Then on my way home I ended up on this empty parking lot and practiced my U turns for a good 10-15 minutes. I can make a u turn every other parking spot. I still need more practice though, my success rate isn't 100%

Also, I don't know why I keep using that same angle, I don't mean to do it intentionally

OraleeWey

I just realized the Super Tenere has spokes but the tire is tubeless!! This changes everything!! Patching those tires up can be done in 5 minutes!!

There's an awesome 60th anniversary in yellow. Unfortunately it does not come in the ES version, which stands for electronic suspension.

Dougald

Have you tried a bike with Electronic Suspension before? Maybe it's better for off-roading, but on the R1200RS I felt the two options were either "too hard" or "too soft" and that I would probably be better off setting up some manual suspension properly. To be honest if I had it I'd probably set up one of the modes nicely and then never use it again, but then I never really ride on anything other than tarmac.

Interesting they went with tubeless tyres, I always assumed tubed were a bit better for off-road, apart from the extra work in patching them. I suppose most of the reason is the cost of developing a spoked rim that's airtight, though

OraleeWey

Have you tried a bike with Electronic Suspension before? Maybe it's better for off-roading, but on the R1200RS I felt the two options were either "too hard" or "too soft" and that I would probably be better off setting up some manual suspension properly. To be honest if I had it I'd probably set up one of the modes nicely and then never use it again, but then I never really ride on anything other than tarmac.

Interesting they went with tubeless tyres, I always assumed tubed were a bit better for off-road, apart from the extra work in patching them. I suppose most of the reason is the cost of developing a spoked rim that's airtight, though

Yeah, the BMW 1200GSA I test rode was electronic suspension. I played with it. It was nice but I do not know if people usually change it all the time. I personally feel like it is just another potential failure. Though, really nice to have if possible.

Dougald

Zero Motorcycles 2018 video

I read somewhere they have increased the range on all their models by 10% for next year. I think they just need to improve the looks a bit more, they're not pretty enough for the price IMO

Yeah, the BMW 1200GSA I test rode was electronic suspension. I played with it. It was nice but I do not know if people usually change it all the time. I personally feel like it is just another potential failure. Though, really nice to have if possible.

The only advantage I can think of for me is I'm short, so if I had a GS or Multistrada I could soften the suspension up before I stop to lower the bike lol

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
After work yesterday I went for a nice little night time ride. Ended up making a transaction at my local bank.

Then on my way home I ended up on this empty parking lot and practiced my U turns for a good 10-15 minutes. I can make a u turn every other parking spot. I still need more practice though, my success rate isn't 100%

Also, I don't know why I keep using that same angle, I don't mean to do it intentionally

Practice slow turns until you can do circles with full lock.

Keep yourself upright while slightly leaning the bike in underneath you.

Shamefully I'm crap at U-Turns now

Well, there's no reason not to just put a foot down if you're in a tight street and you're turning around.

But there are other uses for that same principle. I use it a lot when I'm riding hard through tighter turns. In France around the Ventoux the turns were such that I actually used the rear brake more than the front. Perfect to stabilise the rear and allowing for tighter turns with more control. Downhill too. Just shed some speed without loading the front too much.

OraleeWey

Practice slow turns until you can do circles with full lock.

Keep yourself upright while slightly leaning the bike in underneath you.
What do you mean by "full lock"?
The rear brake trivialises those turns since you can keep the torque up and the speed down.
Hmmm. This makes a lot of sense.
Copious use of the rear brake is the only way I got through my Module 1 test

6D10psI.jpg

Shamefully I'm crap at U-Turns now
For u turns they had us do 8 figures in a little box. But I'm having some trouble finding a layout.

Stevey

The U-turn test is dumb as every bike I've owned doesnt have the turning circle to turn round in a street and I have to like scoot backwards with my feet. I questioned it on my training and they said you have to do it to show you're in control of the bike at low speed, even though I've literally never done it again in my 17 years of riding.

Dougald

Full lock on my Monster is only a few mm away from the tank and almost impossible to hit in regular riding - in fact, just google what happens when you drop the bike and the bars bend into the tank... ouch

Whereas full lock on the Street Triple was absolutely minimal. I'd hit it doing almost any maneuver

OraleeWey

Hey guys, so when I bought my bike I didn't fully pay it off. I leased it so I can build up on some credit. Made my last payment today! So now it is "officially" mine!!!

Dougald

Hey guys, so when I bought my bike I didn't fully pay it off. I leased it so I can build up on some credit. Made my last payment today! So now it is "officially" mine!!!

Congrats!

Anyone here installed heated grips? How hard is it? I want new grips and might as well try heated.

Luxury. Heated gloves are a bit better but are so much of a faff I never really wear mine. Highly recommend the grips if you plan to be riding in the cold for more than 20 minutes at a time. I had some Oxford aftermarket grips on my ST1100 which were alright, and the R1150R has factory BMW ones which are lovely.

If you do install aftermarket, make sure you use a relay or buy ones that shut off when the engine isn't running, or you'll end up accidentally leaving them on when you get off the bike and draining the battery.

Top Bottom