• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive Gaming YouTube Channels Getting 100s of Flagged Videos Continuously

J-Tier

Serious amounts of work?

Like sitting behind a mic and putting it over gameplay?

Thats not hard work.

That's a pretty ignorant statement. Not all lets players do just that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaF-Tkv8NXw&list=SPGxCL8JAojAPcEfvqJ5cS9vWwUJuTLddh&index=1

They cosplay. They respond directly to fans and developers. They actually get their fanbase to buy the games. Now tell me, should they get shut down too? Fraser spends the same amount of time on his vids that a person would put into a full time job.

Velcro Fly

GameXplain got hit hard, including reviews.

Nintendo sends them review copies of games for crying out loud.

Goodbye, YouTube. You won't be missed.

Mesoian

I don't see how any aspect of this prevents you from allowing a channel to Let's Play (and/or monetize) your game. If it's an indie game that you own the copyright to, you can absolutely give other people permission to LP the game.

His point is, how do you build up that fame and word of mouth if popular channels playing popular games are getting shut down? How do you generate that traffic if you aren't allowed to talk about things that are popular?

KarmaCow

Won't indie games become more prominent due to this? since it's likely less stuff from the big guys is going to be streamed?

Though, i guess these channels will get less viewers as a whole, which may hurt exposure.

The problem is that this is an automated system, people aren't necessarily being hit because Publisher X told Google to seek out violations.

djshauny

Banned
You'd have to work hard if you wanted people to actually watch your video. There are thousands of Let's Play channels out there, and most of them don't get any views because the people behind the mic aren't providing entertainment enough for their channel to be chosen over another.

And that's just half of the work, the rest goes into editing/compiling the footage to produce a compelling product.

Did it myself once.

Its not hard work in anyway.

Work hard to get people to watch? Have you seen Pewdiepies vids?

ElFly

Though that often results in closures of channels from people who have nothing to do with the companies who actually own the material. I'm reminded of those Persona 3 and 4 channels that were taken down by a Russian singer who used the name "Persona" who still don't have their channels back, even after the singer closed her Youtube account.

Youtube's system is a bad system that needs a gigantic amount of revamping, that they are unwilling to do.

Oh sure, I agree; was just pointing out the situation at hand.

It's easy to understand where youtube is coming from and what forces they are following. They are afraid of the content owners which with the DMCA have all the rights to take arbitrary content down, with very little costs if something is flagged wrongly. Also these sames content owners have tons of money to fight long lawsuits, and have done so in the past.

On the other hand there are the guys that youtube pays advertising money to. These guys aren't going to sue, and even if they did, they will probably lose. And Google has to pay that advertising money to someone, so it may as well be the big content owners.

So the only answer is a massive flight of videos and spectators from youtube, but this ain't really happening. The old videos are still available, it's just that the ad money goes elsewhere. If new videos are not produced, they probably won't be produced either for other networks.

patapuf

Rifftrax buys the rights in the cases they show the movie. Otherwise, they just have an mp3 of them talking, which contains none of the original work. MST3K was the same way.

I don't buy the fair use claims either. When the videos are 1) for profit 2) Not a presentation of facts 3) consist of the entire walkthrough of a game 4) Have caused people, some on this very site, to not pick up the game, you've basically failed every part of the test for fair use.

I doubt any other site would last long without getting hit by dozens of lawsuits.This entire system is to placate the same large corporations, and any other site is going to have to figure out what to do when they come knocking.

every type of content is affected by this, not just walkthroughs. If you have any content of a game they can flag you. .

Made a bad video review? flagged!

Made a nice one? have some money!

akaoni

Banned

AppleMIX

OK, but it was their choice that this is their livelihood. No one forced them to quit their day jobs and try to make a living out of video game walkthroughs. We don't have to guarantee it will be a profitable endeavor.

I think it's really hurting games with a single-player focus that you can just go to YouTube and find a complete video of someone playing through the whole game. I mean, even if you accept that those videos exist, it's absurd for someone to be making a career out of talking over someone else's game.

This is long overdue.

The problem is that Playing a game is far different from watching someone else play game because, you know, it's interactive.

Rifftrax buys the rights in the cases they show the movie. Otherwise, they just have an mp3 of them talking, which contains none of the original work. MST3K was the same way.

I don't buy the fair use claims either. When the videos are 1) for profit 2) Not a presentation of facts 3) consist of the entire walkthrough of a game 4) Have caused people, some on this very site, to not pick up the game, you've basically failed every part of the test for fair use.

I doubt any other site would last long without getting hit by dozens of lawsuits.This entire system is to placate the same large corporations, and any other site is going to have to figure out what to do when they come knocking.

Which is why game reviews are getting flagged?

Also, yes some people have not bought games because of lets plays but far more have bought games because of lets plays. Amnesia the Dark Decent was sold at a major discount before its release because the developers we're running out of money. Because of the power of Let's Players the game has now sold 1.4 million units. I was one of the people who pre-ordered it and i'm so grateful that is sold well.

Did it myself once.

Two things: Show us how popular your video is. If it's that easy, your video should be doing quite well.

Secondly, you still don't seem to understand this extends far beyond Let's Plays

Anecdotal: I've only watched a few Let's Plays but I ALWAYS mute them because the commentary is so terrible I feel embarrassed FOR them. So I don't really get the "but the commentary is what MAKES THEM GOOD" defense.

And true. If someone can't see past "it's so easy, why should they make so much money doing something so easy, corporations deserve more money because I don't like that people make money off their personalities" all because they don't like LPs and don't realize the actual larger situation, then yeah I'm right.

besada

Banned
And it's not only Let's Plays being affected by this. It's potentially any type of gaming-related video that uses any kind of footage

Well, obviously each video is going to fulfill the criteria necessary to be considered fair use differently, but if they're making money off of other people's content, they've already knocked over one of the four pillars upon which a fair use case can rest.

Fair use is determined by four basic criteria: Is this a commercial or non-commercial derivative work? How much of the original work do they use? Why are they using the work? What effect does it have on the owner of the original work?

If your answers are: Non-commercial, a short amount, for commentary/criticism, and negligible, then you're probably going to be okay. But any movement from that space and you're likely not actually engaging in fair use, but rather simply violating the owner's copyright.

People often forget that a part of copyright is the ability to control who distributes the work.

Right of first sale. You buy a product, you should have the right to do whatever you want with it. Like make a Let's play video. Buts of the stuff people are reporting is being taken is very much fair use stuff.

Right of first sale does not allow you to do anything you want with a work you purchased a copy of. It doesn't, for example, allow you to copy and reproduce, which are specifically covered by copyright. And what's actually going on in these videos.

Video games are interactive entertainment. Watching is limited by definition in comparison to playing.

One could certainly attempt to make such an argument in a fair use case, although I suspect it wouldn't get very far if you've shown the entire game.

astraycat

Did it myself once.

Some people luck out. Just look at some of the current crop of icons from mainstream media.

Others put in hard work and earn their viewership.

Did your video get enough views to have made you money?

djshauny

Banned
That's a pretty ignorant statement. Not all lets players do just that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaF-Tkv8NXw&list=SPGxCL8JAojAPcEfvqJ5cS9vWwUJuTLddh&index=1

They cosplay. They respond directly to fans and developers. They actually get their fanbase to buy the games. Now tell me, should they get shut down too? Fraser spends the same amount of time on his vids that a person would put into a full time job.

Most do.

Its like my mate on yt, he actually puts effort into his vids and does live action. I dont think he should get shut down, at all. Same goes for that vid you linked.

But for the people who do strictly voice of gameplay, then yes, they should. They dont own the content so why should they make the bank from it?

Well this is a very sad day indeed, i really didn't think they'd be silly enough to do this. A lot of peoples hard work gone down the drain and the reason a lot of people use and produce content for Youtube is no more. I understand if its pressure from the companies who own the content but i can't help but feel its very short sighted, seriously damaging a large community of their fans.

Fucking disgusting.

We're quit literally talking peoples livelihoods here. People think that is it easy to edit videos and provide commentary but it really isn't. For every good monetized letsplayer there are about 10 bad unmonetized ones.

Where does it end? Are Giantbomb not allowed to do quicklooks anymore? What about REV3 games?
No, it is really easy. Just time consuming, and that time is just how long it takes you to play the game.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
The problem is that this is an automated system, people aren't necessarily being hit because Publisher X told Google to seek out violations.

Yea. People don't seem to grasp this. lol.

I don't do anything with video games, but I've had some things that I've had my hand in flagged, just because a section sounded like something someone claimed it did, even if nothing licensed was used... lol

hwy_61

Banned
Fucking disgusting.

We're quit literally talking peoples livelihoods here. People think that is it easy to edit videos and provide commentary but it really isn't. For every good monetized letsplayer there are about 10 bad unmonetized ones.

Where does it end? Are Giantbomb not allowed to do quicklooks anymore? What about REV3 games?

Pretty sure those companies get permission from pubs.

Frolow

Banned
Serious amounts of work?

Like sitting behind a mic and putting it over gameplay?

Thats not hard work.

Have you ever edited a video before? It takes several hours at the very least, even more so depending on how elaborate the video is. And that's not even including the time spent on setting up the recording equipment, learning how to use professional video editing software, rendering the video, and dealing with Youtube's bullshit.

djshauny

Banned
Some people luck out. Just look at some of the current crop of icons from mainstream media.

Others put in hard work and earn their viewership.

Did your video get enough views to have made you money?

An old death rally review did yes. I made some money but not a great amount.

At the end of the day they dont own the material they are using to make the money.

This is happening for that exact reason.

Mesoian

Perhaps this is what Adam Sessler was hinting at on Twitter a while back?

It's possible. Though he's in the unique position where everything he makes doesn't HAVE to get posted on youtube, Rev3 can host their stuff locally.

But yeah man, this is going to kneecap how people talk about games significantly

J-Tier

Most do.

Its like my mate on yt, he actually puts effort into his vids and does live action. I dont think he should get shut down, at all. Same goes for that vid you linked.

But for the people who do strictly voice of gameplay, then yes, they should. They dont own the content so why should they make the bank from it?

It's something pretty difficult to manage. I do not think everyone should be punished for it though, I'm just hoping it doesn't get to that point.

patapuf

Most do.

This pertains to all content though. you have one second of footage they can flag you and take any ad revenue you make.

You don't see how that could be a tiny bit inconvenient if you like high production values in you content? People are getting flagged for reviews even.

hwy_61

Banned
Have you ever edited a video before? It takes several hours at the very least, even more so depending on how elaborate the video is. And that's not even including the time spent on setting up the recording equipment, learning how to use professional video editing software, rendering the video, and dealing with Youtube's bullshit.

oof, I'd rather be a garbage collector.

Just checked my email, I got 4 messages like that, I have over 500 videos so I'm expecting a lot more

suJJUAC.png

are 2 best friends okay? i live my life vicariously through woolie and would be devastated if they get taken down.

Just clicked on a few vids when I saw the thread. Still got videos (tried some beyond stuff and went back to the RE2 stuff) and what I checked was there and still had ads running on them. I would be sad too if I saw them go...

astraycat

An old death rally review did yes. I made some money but not a great amount.

At the end of the day they dont own the material they are using to make the money.

This is happening for that exact reason.

So, you're saying that in your review, people watched because you were playing death rally? Not because it was a review of death rally? Was death rally just so popular that your random video got enough views to make money?

akaoni

Banned
I'm just responding to his opinion about them not getting money for their work. They'll eventually stop making vids right?

They can still make videos as freely as they did before, it will depend on why they have been doing so in the first place I guess.

djshauny

Banned

Not for the lets players which we are talking about.

If you record on a pc, you can use fraps and record your voice at the same time. All thats left to do is a little trimming of the video in vegas etc etc then upload.

Tell me, why should peopole make a killing of someone elses content which they dont own?

J-Tier

They can still make videos as freely as they did before, it will depend on why they have been doing so in the first place I guess.

Yeah...these guys produce videos for a living. Sure, they can make videos for free.

Not for the lets players which we are talking about.

If you record on a pc, you can use fraps and record your voice at the same time. All thats left to do is a little trimming of the video in vegas etc etc then upload.

Tell me, why should peopole make a killing of someone elses content which they dont own?

This issue isn't black and white. Sure, some LPers don't deserve it. But Youtube's automated system can't tell the difference.

"Freely" is really a perspective issue. If they have to get a full-time job, that's going to drastically cut down how "freely" they can make videos

Shouta

oof, I'd rather be a garbage collector.

Garbage collectors get paid pretty good as I recall.

Anyway, this is pretty bullshit. The ramifications are pretty bad for what this could entail in the end. The community in ompetitive games in particular will be hit hard

Top Bottom