• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full Unreal Engine 4 Elemental demo video running on PS4

Good choice. I did the same. It baffles me how many people are willing to pay an extra $100 for a weaker card.

Dat Nvidia bias. To be fair some people may have been soured from the times when AMD drivers were poor (they're on par nowadays, except CF).

Vidpixel

Some parts were impressive, but like many others have pointed out, it seems like the framerate takes a hit in some instances. Has it been confirmed if this was created with the final PS4 specs or not?

Raven77

This is really weird cause some of the differences.. It's almost an artistic direction difference, some of the assets are not the same etc...

And for example that front door where the metal thing lacks. If it was a game port and they wanted to match the original, they could easily fake it by just mapping it.. Nobody would see the difference.

I noticed that ass swell. Also, it's odd because SOME things actually in my opinion look BETTER on the PS4 version, for example the lighting on the pillars in the beginning as well as the effects on the shot as they zoom past the "Hammer Dude" and out into the environment.

However, about 90% of it does look significantly better on the PC demo. Give them time, they'll get it to match pretty closely if not exceed the PC demo in time. Closed box architecture can equal amazing things. Just look at Halo 4 compared to Halo 3. Sort of amazing its the same hardware...

Well, the best lookers this generation came from sony's first party (console wise speaking), so i'd expect them to continue that trend if i want to see what PS4 is really capable of, i'm not waiting with baited breath for third party's to wow me.

nib95

Banned
Come on what?

You can see EPIC history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_Games

Gears of War series, Shadow Complex... big exclusives for X360.

They are a big Microsoft partner and they are clearly trying to make PS4 look bad...

Well... bad move, finally.

I doubt that. They want yo sell Unreal to devs more than anything else. My guess is its just not that optimised and was likely originally developed with the older dev kit. I'm sure things will only get better as time progresses.

Truespeed

It'll be years before the PS4 is even close to being maxed out. And it'll be the 1st party studio's that really show what it can do when you're hitting the metal directly and not having to navigate through spaghetti code laden PC video drivers. All this tells me is that EPIC was quickly able to port their engine to the PS4 and have it perform very well in a short amount of time.

Come on what?

You can see EPIC history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_Games

Gears of War series, Shadow Complex... big exclusives for X360.

They are a big Microsoft partner and they are clearly trying to make PS4 look bad...

Well... bad move, finally.

come on now, this is just as silly as some of the posts you're trying to address. it's a tech demo from a next gen engine (that seems to be somewhat still changing stuff, they changed their lighting tech i believe, for the worst) on hardware that we don't even know if it was final or optimized.
epic gains nothing from compromising UE4 on ps4. in fact, this elemental demo on ps4 looks just fine for an early tech demo.

maltrain

come on now, this is just as silly as some of the posts you're trying to address. it's a tech demo from a next gen engine (that seems to be somewhat still changing stuff, they changed their lighting tech i believe, for the worst) on hardware that we don't even know if it was final or optimized.
epic gains nothing from compromising UE4 on ps4. in fact, this elemental demo on ps4 looks just fine for an early tech demo.

You really think that demo looked good? I compare it with Deep Down and look awful. And don't even mention the PC demo on the nVidia card, that looked awesome.

Having watched the Elementals demo once again followed by Killzone's gameplay demo, i must say that in my opinion, Killzone is more impressive since we are actually looking at gameplay, and not just some demo for a graphics engine, that will end up probably looking worse in actual gameplay if we go by what happened with the Unreal 3 demo vs actual games running on the consoles, whereas Killzone 2 got a huge bump in graphical quality from the first gameplay video to the actual game that arrived at stores.

You really think that demo looked good? I compare it with Deep Down and look awful. And don't even mention the PC demo on the nVidia card, that looked awesome.

it's just something to show people (most likely developers) "hey look, it's running on ps4, and it looks nice!". games will look BETTER using that exact same engine in a few years! tech demos get upgraded/downgraded all the time in console launches! this tech demo does exactly what it's meant to do.
looks better than current gen games? check.
does a lot of new shit tech wise on these consoles? check.
works on ps4? check.
that's it.
the elemental demo is running on a gtx680. the infiltrator demo runs on a gtx680. you have a tech demo of elemental on ps4, i'm guessing you can also have infiltrator running on ps4.

regarding deep down, yes, it looks nice, but is it really ingame? will it be as easy to work with as unreal engine 4? will it even be available for outsiders? again, you (and a lot of people in this thread) seem to be actually missing the point, so i'm not gonna bother anymore.

Yea but usually in games campaigned with AMD. You look at games campaigned with nvidia then you see nvidia cards beating AMD cards. I am worried about how good BF4 will run on my setup seeing as Dice is being partnered with AMD :(

Considering how the AMD HD 7990 Malta is being used to demo BF4, I'd say quite well for AMD.

The lighting is definitely one of the biggest differences.

I don't like the fact that SVOGI did not make the cut, and i really hope it is due to poor optimization and them rushing out a tech demo.

If they're going to be cutting out such important aspects this early, before next gen consoles have even released..well, that's just not a good start for next gen.

maltrain

it's just something to show people (most likely developers) "hey look, it's running on ps4, and it looks nice!". games will look BETTER using that exact same engine in a few years! tech demos get upgraded/downgraded all the time in console launches! this tech demo does exactly what it's meant to do.
works on ps4? check.
that's it.
the elemental demo is running on a gtx680. the infiltrator demo runs on a gtx680. you have a tech demo of elemental on ps4, i'm guessing you can also have infiltrator running on ps4.

regarding deep down, yes, it looks nice, but is it really ingame? will it be as easy to work with as unreal engine 4? will it even be available for outsiders? again, you (and a lot of people in this thread) seem to be actually missing the point, so i'm not gonna bother anymore.

Well, maybe you're right looking that from a developer point of view and not a gamer one...

Jonsoncao

Banned
Well, maybe you're right looking that from a developer point of view and not a gamer one...

GDC IS for developers...Epic is selling engines to the developers...developers want an overall balanced and easy-to-use engine to maximize the efficiency say like UE3...

Now look back at your posts...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
works on ps4? check.
that's it.

Yes, you're on the point here. Also, it is very likely that this same demo wouldn't look as impressive on 680GTX today either, as they removed realtime GI support from the engine. This is something I see DF also touched upon.

If they wanted to satisfy the gamer, they'd just release the 720p version of the same demo that they were able to render at 1080p on 680, and noone would be any wiser. But as a developer presentation they want to make sure to show that their engine can do cool stuff on 1080p, that most devs would want to target anyway.

teo72

Neo Member
I have said it before, and I will say it again. We will never agree. Why? Because even though the Ps4 looks like a pc. It is not a PC, it's a custom built console with some PC parts. Read this interview with the Tech responsible for the PS4 the other day. It provided som interesting insight into the inner workings of the PS4. According to the interview, the PS4 is much more effective in handling multitasking graphics code. Because of this, it will not need as much power to do the same job , as you would with a PC with todays arcitecture. It did not go into spesific numbers, so it is impossible to speculate exactly how much more effective. At least not until E3.

So the impression I got from the interview is this. If you compare a modern pc to a heavy weight boxer, because of it's brute force strategy. Then PS4 is more like a martial artist. Less brute force, more graceful technics.

Ergo, it is all but impossible to compare a PS4 to a PC until you know all the strengths and weaknesses of the Final PS4 design, which does not exist yet...

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
I have said it before, and I will say it again. We will never agree. Why? Because even though the Ps4 looks like a pc. It is not a PC, it's a custom built console with some PC parts. Read this interview with the Tech responsible for the PS4 the other day. It provided som interesting insight into the inner workings of the PS4. According to the interview, the PS4 is much more effective in handling multitasking graphics code. Because of this, it will not need as much power to do the same job , as you would with a PC with todays arcitecture. It did not go into spesific numbers, so it is impossible to speculate exactly how much more effective. At least not until E3.

So the impression I got from the interview is this. If you compare a modern pc to a heavy weight boxer, because of it's brute force strategy. Then PS4 is more like a martial artist. Less brute force, more graceful technics.

Ergo, it is all but impossible to compare a PS4 to a PC until you know all the strengths and weaknesses of the Final PS4 design, which does not exist yet...

This is a great post and I agree, but I also feel like that by the time the ps4 is out we are going to sadly see more evidence of that Heavy weight boxer getting the first destructive right hook in that just knocks the martial artist out in one blow and breaks his jaw.

If you have the money to see the heavyweight boxer live and in person your on fora winner. If not the martial artists display will have to do :D

Phil4000

ps4 supercharged pc! lol no.

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/unreal...en-ps4-and-pc/

UE4-PC-7.jpg

UE4-PS4-7.jpg

Dat Nvidia bias. To be fair some people may have been soured from the times when AMD drivers were poor (they're on par nowadays, except CF).

Personally I stick with whatever my new build started with. That was ATi, then Nvidia the last two (mostly because I migrated my 8800 ultra into the new system), so now I use a 680. Next time I'll probably give AMD their turn, though the 680 will keep me sitting pretty for a while.

honestly how is everyone focusing on the hardware when Epic's engine is the true culprit here, it's clear that their software wasn't developed with PS4's hardware in mind. Epic needs to be asked why dynamic lighting isn't being support in their so called next-gen engine when the hardware is more than capable of doing so.

Top Bottom