• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Fuchsdh

Yeah i started late, i only got 14!! :p

I got a rock...

igotarock.jpg

Did get my ONI Wasp cert, which I feel like is the superior variant. Hannibal Wasp just feels like it's too niche compared to the other Hannibal certs.

I got a rock...

igotarock.jpg

Did get my ONI Wasp cert, which I feel like is the superior variant. Hannibal Wasp just feels like it's too niche compared to the other Hannibal certs.

Ehhhh the ONI is hampered by the shitty chaingun, so it's often not even as good as a regular Wasp against ground targets (but can beat a regular Wasp in the air). It can lock onto ground vehicles too I guess, but the lock-on seems slow and the missiles are wimpy.

The Hannibal is infinitely better against ground targets, and still pretty good against other air vehicles.

Trup1aya

34 packs (close to 50 were given away the whole weekend) are over $100 bucks worth of req packs
10k viewer who redeem codes are already >$1 million worth of req packs

ms is giving away money like candy

I wouldnt say they are giving away money, because few people would have bought packs instead.

But i would say it amounts to a marketing investment. Anyone who was watching for Req packs probably knows the HW2 ad by heart!

I would say they are giving away money, because few people would have bought packs instead.

But i would say it amounts to a marketing investment. Anyone who was watching for Req packs probably knows the HW2 ad by heart!

lol yep and i was actually tempted to pre-order. Shit works. If it wasnt a RTS (which im not a huge fan of) i probably would have.

Ehhhh the ONI is hampered by the shitty chaingun, so it's often not even as good as a regular Wasp against ground targets (but can beat a regular Wasp in the air). It can lock onto ground vehicles too I guess, but the lock-on seems slow and the missiles are wimpy.

The Hannibal is infinitely better against ground targets, and still pretty good against other air vehicles.

Agreed. Hannibal wasp is the opposite of a niche vehicle. That thing is a monster versus anything other than lasers/chainguns, but what air vehicle isn't? You can keep an entire armory/garage/whatever on lock-down basically by yourself. Add in Wheelman armor mod and go nuts.

ONI wasps suffers from a few issues. One is the absolutely horrible chaingun, as you noted. Not because it's "weak" but because travel time makes it useless against anyone with a brain. Not to mention it overheats almost instantly. It's also pretty useless against every other air vehicle (partly due to the chaingun again).

But it's biggest downfall is that you only get one card every few hundred Gold Packs (not exaggerating). Its rarity is completely broken and it's the rarest card in the game by a long shot. It's like "congrats on the certification, these three cards are the only ones you'll get for like a month". It's a mediocre REQ and you never get more, therefore it's shit in my book.

Fuchsdh

lol yep and i was actually tempted to pre-order. Shit works. If it wasnt a RTS (which im not a huge fan of) i probably would have.

Ultimate Edition was enticing enough for me. Halo Wars DE is great, Halo Wars 2 is fun from the betas I've played, and I'll be playing enough of it that paying full price on release date (and probably being the only game I'll do so this year) is worth it.

Guyz - I hope Halo 6 has Dolby Atmos. I also hope they fine tune it to perfection.

ATM my rear speakers are way to loud with h5. Especially when i'm dead and people are shooting precision weapons.

Come on Audio Engineers, do your magic. :p Make that mix perfection.

STINKLES - I CALL THEE FOR YOUR HELP! THNX

Finally completed my Gold Packs.

Wasn't really worth it, Halo needs better cosmetics. Don't think I'm going to get nearly as invested in the next game when it comes to whatever RNG system they use if there isn't an improvement in quality. Really glad I didn't spend a dime on packs.

Finally completed my Gold Packs.

Wasn't really worth it, Halo needs better cosmetics. Don't think I'm going to get nearly as invested in the next game when it comes to whatever RNG system they use if there isn't an improvement in quality. Really glad I didn't spend a dime on packs.
But will they allow us to sell more than one card at a time or will they artificially restrict that from us? One has to wonder if that was a design choice or an oversight. And hopefully the customization screens will not be a mess.

Fuchsdh

But will they allow us to sell more than one card at a time or will they artificially restrict that from us? One has to wonder if that was a design choice or an oversight. And hopefully the customization screens will not be a mess.

Given that the REQ system clearly was not intended to scale, I think you're reading way too much into things.

But selling off your REQs is not a big deal if you actually do it *when you open the pack.* I have never used the online tool to mass-sell REQs because I've never kept stockpiles of my REQs that needed selling.

Also only having TWO items to customize your look is a bit of a downer too. (Visor color doesn't count! )

There has to be a better way to have "Cards" with more items other than the full armor and helmets. I think many have asked about the REACH cosmetics.

LOL Remember when we only had like 8 colors to choose from? or something really small in number before an update? HAHAHHAHA OH MAN.

Fuchsdh

Also only having TWO items to customize your look is a bit of a downer too. (Visor color doesn't count! )

There has to be a better way to have "Cards" with more items other than the full armor and helmets. I think many have asked about the REACH cosmetics.

LOL Remember when we only had like 8 colors to choose from? or something really small in number before an update? HAHAHHAHA OH MAN.

There's nothing mutually exclusive between having more customization options and delivering those by card. You could still give out the armor sets in bulk and let people tweak them.

There's nothing mutually exclusive between having more customization options and delivering those by card. You could still give out the armor sets in bulk and let people tweak them.

I just really hope they don't continue this same route when having different versions of a set armor. Hopefully, if they do have different versions with strips, that its unlocked via palying with the armor equipped rather than another RNG unlock.

I know this can be debated heavily, but i just know that it needs some improvement. :)

Fuchsdh

I just really hope they don't continue this same route when having different versions of a set armor. Hopefully, if they do have different versions with strips, that its unlocked via palying with the armor equipped rather than another RNG unlock.

I know this can be debated heavily, but i just know that it needs some improvement. :)

I don't see anything wrong with having paint schemes be unlocks like the other cosmetics (if anything you could argue the paint schemes should be the RNG unlocks versus the base armor.)

My issues with the paint schemes are that they don't stack on the base sets in the menus, adding X% more variants you have to scroll through with no easy way of sorting by date acquired, name, or rarity (which should be the basic categories, at least.)

Given that the REQ system clearly was not intended to scale, I think you're reading way too much into things.

But selling off your REQs is not a big deal if you actually do it *when you open the pack.* I have never used the online tool to mass-sell REQs because I've never kept stockpiles of my REQs that needed selling.
I sell them off as I open them too, but it's just hard to believe that 343 neglected to include such an option. I don't think it was a design choice either, however it being an oversight might actually be worse lol.

Many QOL improvements need to be made for Halo 6 after coming off the what some would call disastrous UI's of TMCC and H5.

Karl2177

Nothing quite like getting into a game of farmers... It'd be nice if there was some kind of filter to prevent myself from matching against parties unless I also was with a party myself.

Nothing quite like getting into a game of farmers... It'd be nice if there was some kind of filter to prevent myself from matching against parties unless I also was with a party myself.

Yeah, I ran into Allegiance the other day. No bueno. It's better with the 6-person party limit, but it also seems to lack the logic that two 6-person parties shouldn't be on the same team.

Mercenaries playlist would be a dream.

Love those last-second clutches. Literally one second on the clock and no ammo.

On another note, getting used to my Elite controller. Played Mass Effect and Gears of War to warm up to using the paddles for things like sprinting and reloading, and it's made adjusting to Halo a lot easier.

Mercenaries playlist would be a dream.

Yeah, or at the very least, limit parties on Social playlists to two, like in Gears 4. People complain about it a lot on the forums and Reddit, but that change made Social playlists so much more enjoyable. People want to be able to play with their friends (i.e., they want to find other people who they can pubstomp with), so limiting it to one friend has made that possible while still allowing the solo-queuers a chance.

Clipping be damned, I wish we just had the option to do something like Helmet, Arms (and gauntlets?), Chest, Legs and Thrusters / Back. The Recluse thrusters put every other variants' to shame. You could still "package" the unlocks as helmets / armor, just split the armor up into some component parts. You don't even necessarily need independent left / right arms, because packaging them as entire suits of armor means you could produce asymmetric ones that looked good to begin with. I whipped up an example a while back featuring the following suits:

Helmet: Aviator
Armor: Vector
Arms: Jumpmaster
Legs: Aviator
Thrusters: Jumpmaster

VFtXeX8.png

And then the original suits for reference:

I want a visor editor too, dammit! All you're changing for it is the metallicity and some gradients!

Mistel

Banned

I'd live with 8 colors if it freed me from the RNG curse I've still not even got Recon or Scout been stuck with Cypher as the only half decent looking thing due to RNG.

Trup1aya

They really need to rethink everything about the customization system in this game. Having dozens of marginally different variants of everything, and having to grind an RNG system made it feel totally unrewarding. Not to mention visors and emblems are total buzz kills. The Legendary visors? Lol wut?

Req packs need to be strictly for Warzone items and boosts.

I think basic armor sets should all be tied to commendations. Once you've unlocked a set, you should be able to buy it's variants with RP or $ (cringe). Also, you should be able to use individual peices of an armor set to customize your Spartan.

EYEL1NER

I quit a game tonight and I still feel bad about doing so. It was the first time in a while that I have quit a match, like maybe like first time in a year? It was a Big Team Slayer match on Dispelled and it was going so horribly that at least five other people had quit. When it was down to only four of us left, I looked at the scoreboard and it was all of the good people who quit, leaving the four of us who had only something like 3 kills each. I was 5-11 the last time I looked at the scoreboard when there was 3 of us and there was enough time left that the enemy team would have gotten their kills before time over, but they had like 21 more kills to go. I decided that I wasn't going to sit there getting repeatedly killed by the Scorpions they had perched on the bases and the Wasps circling the area. I was spawning outside of the bases in the line of snipe and tank fire too since they controlled both of them. I am someone who NEVER quits games, not even when I get an invite mid-match, but that was one was one where I was just like "Fuck it." If I had gotten a quit ban for that, it would have been fine by me. The ban's duration would have been preferable to me over continued play in that match.

Last time I played Dispelled a couple nights ago things went so well too. My team was doing well, I got my hands on a Sniper rifle, said "Okay, I'll give this thing a try," and held Overwatch for a good amount of time (even getting a snipe kill from up there, which is pretty rare for me). I didn't put up great number but I went 6-2 on that one, so I wasn't feeding the enemy team kills either.
I am rewatching this match I quit out of though and can see that I wasn't playing well at all; I camped Underpass for almost the first minute of the game with the Grav Hammer. There were other times were I just sat crouched in our base and cannot even recall what was going through my head as I did so. So I can't really blame some of the teammates for dropping out when I was playing like shit. I feel even worse rewatching it though when I see that one lone guy on my team stuck out the final five minutes of the match by himself. Why should he even have had to do that after asshole teammates like me quit out?! So now I feel bad because I quit and then feel a bit angry that he even had to continue playing without an option to just concede. One person left and forced to play another five minutes?

Only 11M XP until 151!

RIP me
Congrats on getting up there. It seems like I remember you posting about 149 was only a short time ago. When I booted up the game I looked at the carnage report from my last game of the previous evening and I had gained 5000 XP in a WZFF match. So going off of that, it would take me something like 2200 WZFF matches placing at or near the top to get the amount of XP you need. You earn quite a bit more XP a match than I do though because of how much better you do per match, and you also complete a lot more commendations. It's still gonna be a grind though.

Congrats on getting up there. It seems like I remember you posting about 149 was only a short time ago. When I booted up the game I looked at the carnage report from my last game of the previous evening and I had gained 5000 XP in a WZFF match. So going off of that, it would take me something like 2200 WZFF matches placing at or near the top to get the amount of XP you need. You earn quite a bit more XP a match than I do though because of how much better you do per match, and you also complete a lot more commendations. It's still gonna be a grind though.

I've been 149 for months lol. I always use a boost of course, but the grind is still stupidly long. Of course, try and match the boost to the game type because gambits can reward a good amount. Win gambits are auto-rewarded in FF too fyi, so those get used up quick. AI gambits and medal gambits too. Use the rarer generic XP boosts with the longer gametypes.

Even with boosts, I don't imagine I'll get to 151 until late spring/early summer, if even that early.

Just played a skirmish game, my 3 teamates have a COMBINED 6 games of halo 5 played (2 of them it was their first game). Got 3-0ed in 4 mins. This. games. matchmaking. is. garbage.

I'd live with 8 colors if it freed me from the RNG curse I've still not even got Recon or Scout been stuck with Cypher as the only half decent looking thing due to RNG.

They really need to rethink everything about the customization system in this game. Having dozens of marginally different variants of everything, and having to grind an RNG system made it feel totally unrewarding. Not to mention visors and emblems are total buzz kills. The Legendary visors? Lol wut?

Req packs need to be strictly for Warzone items and boosts.

I think basic armor sets should all be tied to commendations. Once you've unlocked a set, you should be able to buy it's variants with RP or $ (cringe). Also, you should be able to use individual peices of an armor set to customize your Spartan.

Let us pray to the RNG gods that this will be fixed in the next mainline halo game. That our requests, or expectations, can be provided to us in some type of manner.

That happens sometimes in Forge Mode.

Yeesh, i know i see this sometimes when playing on forge-maps, but i did not expect this type of performance in the dev maps. happened in almost every match except a couple last ones before i ended my session last night.

Haruko

Random thoughts...

I think most people agree that 343 should carry forward a large portion of the multiplayer from 5 to 6, perhaps even spinning off the MP as a separate service for Win 10 and Xbone.

After all the hard work they've poured into Forge, it really doesn't make sense for Halo 6 MP to wipe the slate clean again and start all over with everything. I'd rather keep the engine/maps/Forge we already have, and have time spent improving on top of those and making new maps.

That said, I am not sure what they should do with the REQ system, post-Halo 5. It has seemingly been successful in offsetting costs caused by offering all the content updates for free. I believe something like it needs to be in place going forward. But should that system be carried over as-is? Should it get some tweaks? And in either case, should any unlocks players got in H5 carry forward, or should they start us off with no unlocks again?

Would carrying forward your permanent unlocks/certifications but wiping the single-use REQs work, or would that bother you? Would that plan hurt 343's REQ pack sales too much to be viable?

Fuchsdh

Random thoughts...

I think most people agree that 343 should carry forward a large portion of the multiplayer from 5 to 6, perhaps even spinning off the MP as a separate service for Win 10 and Xbone.

After all the hard work they've poured into Forge, it really doesn't make sense for Halo 6 MP to wipe the slate clean again and start all over with everything. I'd rather keep the engine/maps/Forge we already have, and have time spent improving on top of those and making new maps.

That said, I am not sure what they should do with the REQ system, post-Halo 5. It has seemingly been successful in offsetting costs caused by offering all the content updates for free. I believe something like it needs to be in place going forward. But should that system be carried over as-is? Should it get some tweaks? And in either case, should any unlocks players got in H5 carry forward, or should they start us off with no unlocks again?

Would carrying forward your permanent unlocks/certifications but wiping the single-use REQs work, or would that bother you? Would that plan hurt 343's REQ pack sales too much to be viable?

You can't snowball player investment stuff, that'd get crazy (what would they do come Halo 7?)

I think giving dedicated players some unlocks based on their career makes the most sense (like how you got special armor for MCC achievements.)

People who got Achilles get Achilles in H6, for instance. If you beat H5 Legendary you get MC Mk VI.

There's almost certainly going to be a REQ reset in 6, and not least cause they need it. I like the current system okay, but there's a ton of stuff they can and should change, like individual armor piece unlocks, making the current permutations into more universal patterns, and so on. If they do spin off the multiplayer into an evergreen system, this'd be the best possible time to nail all this stuff down.

I do agree that making sure people with large REQ collections in 5 are rewarded in 6, though.

Custom HUDs would be an awesome REQ addition, they need to add diversity in the aesthetic REQs insteead of having artificial padding with 18 green visors and armor variants that look the same.

Haruko

Custom HUDs would be an awesome REQ addition, they need to add diversity in the aesthetic REQs insteead of having artificial padding with 18 green visors and armor variants that look the same.

That would be cool. The announcer voice packs are a decent early example of this too.

I liked the HUD variety in campaign.

TCKaos

You can't snowball player investment stuff, that'd get crazy (what would they do come Halo 7?)

I think giving dedicated players some unlocks based on their career makes the most sense (like how you got special armor for MCC achievements.)

People who got Achilles get Achilles in H6, for instance. If you beat H5 Legendary you get MC Mk VI.

I'm a huge proponent of neat shit like this. It's a cool bragging rights reward and also gives players and incentive to pick up previous titles. You could do neat stuff like granting the armor set and prominent weapons from that game (CE Pistol cert for finishing CE on Legendary, H2BR for finishing H2 on Legendary).

I've been saying this for a while now. The REQ system would be a million times more satisfying if all armor variants were removed, and all those REQs were replaced with unique stuff.

Instead of OG armour, and a variant with tiger stripes...why not simply have OG armour, and then tiger stripes as a decal REQ, which can be applied to any armour.

What if we got emotes, and poses for the endgame screen instead of the Spartans just staring at the sky.

WHAT IF WE CAN FINALY GET TWERKING

I've been saying this for a while now. The REQ system would be a million times more satisfying if all armor variants were removed, and all those REQs were replaced with unique stuff.

Instead of OG armour, and a variant with tiger stripes...why not simply have OG armour, and then tiger stripes as a decal REQ, which can be applied to any armour.

What if we got emotes, and poses for the endgame screen instead of the Spartans just staring at the sky.

I think o remember Frankie saying a while back that spartan pose REQs weren't a thing for technical reasons? Like, they didn't have the systems in place to customize them. Hope it's in next time tho.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I like the Req system, but would also like to see the number of variants reduced and include other modifications like others have suggested.

Trup1aya

These are actually some great ideas. I'm cool with the idea of the req system, but instead of making customization a grind, they need to make it feel rewarding. There should be little to no RNG when it comes to making your spartan look the way you want him/her too. Instead tie unlocks to commendations.

The view armor variants that are worth having should be unlockable by spending RP or $ after unlocking the base model. Redundant variants being replaced by decals would be a great idea! It would also be a neat financial opportunity since they could sell limited time decals and the like.

It would also be neat if you could place decals on your Warzone vehicles. Who doesnt like pimping their rides?

In the interest of alternative revenue streams, they should also consider server rentals. The only thing better than a custom browser would be custom servers that auto-rotate within a user-currated playlist.

I imagine them resetting the REQ for everyone playing in Halo 6 - but reusing almost all of the assets in Halo 5 for customization. Maybe a handful of reqs may not make it at launch and will be available later as DLC or Content Updates down the road.....

It would be interested to see if they re-use a lot of the maps they made for Halo 5. More notable ones that actually play well.

So, how does this sound in terms of changes...

Remove minor armor variants, replace with decals (which work on most/all sets)

Make visors color customizable (no req) but add visor patterns, decals, and HUD REQs.

Break armor back down into components. Helmet, shoulders, chest piece, gauntlet, greaves, boots. Maybe combine those last two. Yes, not all pieces will play nicely together, and some will clip, but if that bothers the player they can just... pick other pieces, lol.

Brand new reqs should include win poses, emotrs, and, to outright steal somebody else's idea, vehicle customization reqs for Warzone which sounds fantastic.

Each REQ unlockable by 3 means: commendations, direct purchase through REQ points/cash, and packs. Items attached to higher-difficulty commendations have higher direct ourchse costs, which are always higher than the REQ cost of a pack. Direct purchase dollar cost should probably be as cheap or cheaper than a pack, to avoid outrage. Gameplay reqs should probably stay in packs, but maybe makensome loadout weapons available for direct purchase with points isn't a bad idea.

jem0208

Make visors color customizable (no req) but add visor patterns, decals, and HUD REQs.

Break armor back down into components. Helmet, shoulders, chest piece, gauntlet, greaves, boots. Maybe combine those last two. Yes, not all pieces will play nicely together, and some will clip, but if that bothers the player they can just... pick other pieces, lol.

Brand new reqs should include win poses, emotrs, and, to outright steal somebody else's idea, vehicle customization reqs for Warzone which sounds fantastic.

Each REQ unlockable by 3 means: commendations, direct purchase through REQ points/cash, and packs. Items attached to higher-difficulty commendations have higher direct ourchse costs, which are always higher than the REQ cost of a pack. Direct purchase dollar cost should probably be as cheap or cheaper than a pack, to avoid outrage. Gameplay reqs should probably stay in packs, but maybe makensome loadout weapons available for direct purchase with points isn't a bad idea.
I agree with this.

Also if they make individual items purchasable with req points then they should do away with buying req packs and instead make it so you buy req points. So instead of buying a gold pack you buy 10'000 req points.

Trup1aya

Pretty good.

I'm definately fine with loadout weapons being direct purchase with points.

I'm less ok with ALL reqs being unlockable by all 3 means. There should be quite a few commendation-only custom items that can be worn as a badge of honor. There probably should be some cash only req too (special promotions, esports teams etc).

Top Bottom