• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 |OT| How I killed your mother

Dereck

Saw people in here talking about ranked so I went on again after a long break.

This is the first time I've gotten beyond Destroyer in Tekken. Don't know how many times I haven't blocked Miguel's db+2 because it denied me a promo chance even though I saw it coming most of the time.

FZQyVKq.png

6RmkcnZ.png

AAK

Good stuff man! Congrats. Also, did you mean Miguel's d/b+1? d/b+2 is this weird back hand fist that's pretty slow.

I got back to Destroyer over the weekend, then yesterday I played again and got demoted all the way back to Juggernaut lol.

Saw people in here talking about ranked so I went on again after a long break.

This is the first time I've gotten beyond Destroyer in Tekken. Don't know how many times I haven't blocked Miguel's db+2 because it denied me a promo chance even though I saw it coming most of the time.

FZQyVKq.png

6RmkcnZ.png

For some reason I read that last image out loud as "Promoted to SAVOR"

86A13877D1CE3DCCEDB9E61C157A43B8ABCBF74F

Ugh. Yeah, I need to go eat.

Edit -- it actually looks like he's snacking on the logo.

Dereck

Good stuff man! Congrats. Also, did you mean Miguel's d/b+1? d/b+2 is this weird back hand fist that's pretty slow.

I got back to Destroyer over the weekend, then yesterday I played again and got demoted all the way back to Juggernaut lol.
Demotion blues, sucks man. You can get it back up. Why are you getting demoted exactly?

Yeah, it was d/b+1, guy would do d/f+1,1 into d/b+1, beat the guy 5 times in a row and lost the promotion match. As soon as the promotion match popped up he landed every d/b+1 and then I realized that he didn't have any mixups whatsoever, there was no deeper plan to his madness.

For some reason I read that last image out loud as "Promoted to SAVOR"

86A13877D1CE3DCCEDB9E61C157A43B8ABCBF74F

Ugh. Yeah, I need to go eat.

Edit -- it actually looks like he's snacking on the logo.
Or he could actually become a part of the win logo.

DHB43GEU0AA82T_.jpg

Congrats Dereck.

Nice!

Btw, this game still sucks online on PS4.
Much appreciated

CSX

goddam it's an amazing feeling when you beat a law player cuz you duck his junkyard strings 90% of the time.

Had an amazing set against a warrior rank steve against my crappy fighter rank Bryan that spams df23 way too much lol.

I won the last round with a silver of health left. Kept dashing forward and sidewalk right to bait him to press a button then i whiffed punish with a f41 launcher juggle with rage drive ender to do a 50% life combo to win it.

God I wished i recorded it lol

sasuke_91

I'm a Marauder and it doesn't seem like rank actually says much about skill level.

Yeah at your rank it doesn't, but it will at some point. Continue playing and you'll reach a rank that fits your skill level.

Do you get nervous on promotion matches? Don't worry, we all do.

I do. I low parried the Law player's junkyard and blocked his Dragon Tail when I didn't get the promo, but as soon as I saw the promo I got into this weird state of mind where you don't want to make any mistake and forget attacking. I lost because I didn't block his rage drive.

Yeah, it was d/b+1, guy would do d/f+1,1 into d/b+1, beat the guy 5 times in a row and lost the promotion match. As soon as the promotion match popped up he landed every d/b+1 and then I realized that he didn't have any mixups whatsoever, there was no deeper plan to his madness.
Yeah, that sounds like my experience as well. Congrats on your Savior promotion. Any goal this time around? I want to finally reach Vanquisher.

Nuszka

Experienced Nuszka's Lee today.

blown-away.gif

Lol man , it was fun to play and then it started to disconnect :(
I am done on praising ps4 netcode, when it works it's perfectly fine and better then the best in tag 2 but honestly 50% of my games in ranked are a hot garbage. Had a law player where 2 first rounds that I won felt butter smooth and out of the sudden I entered jitter world. It's just one of many examples. It's so annoying especially while playing Lee and trying to capitalise on his wall carry. For some reason I still hope they fix it, or at least give us an opponents wifi indicator.

Dereck

Yeah at your rank it doesn't, but it will at some point. Continue playing and you'll reach a rank that fits your skill level.

I do. I low parried the Law player's junkyard and blocked his Dragon Tail when I didn't get the promo, but as soon as I saw the promo I got into this weird state of mind where you don't want to make any mistake and forget attacking. I lost because I didn't block his rage drive.

Yeah, that sounds like my experience as well. Congrats on your Savior promotion. Any goal this time around? I want to finally reach Vanquisher.
My goal was to get Lee, Bryan, Law and Bob to Vanquisher and beyond, which is almost accomplished, Lee is Usurper.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Alright, I cleared the bonus chapter in story mode. Nothing special, just cranked the difficulty down to easy and got it on my third try. One more achievement for the list.

Just another thought, but to make treasure battle a little more unpredictable, Namco should just rip off the Drivatar system from Forza and let the AI learn your play style and use it as ghosts for online-connected players to use in treasure battle. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Virtua Fighter 4 do something like this 15 years ago? Why isn't Namco doing this?

Alright, I cleared the bonus chapter in story mode. Nothing special, just cranked the difficulty down to easy and got it on my third try. One more achievement for the list.

Just another thought, but to make treasure battle a little more unpredictable, Namco should just rip off the Drivatar system from Forza and let the AI learn your play style and use it as ghosts for online-connected players to use in treasure battle. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Virtua Fighter 4 do something like this 15 years ago? Why isn't Namco doing this?

This is a game that doesn't have replays or a tutorial mode.

AllenShrz

What's the fucking reason for Xiao to have a low launching move that can be canceled but still make the noise as if she did performed it?

Does she need extra tools? Is she a c tier character?

AAK

Demotion blues, sucks man. You can get it back up. Why are you getting demoted exactly?

At Destroyer got demoted by this Kazumi player really fast within 3-4 games. I didn't know 1,1 from Kazumi was 0 on block and kept getting counterhit thinking it was my turn and such. Even after demotion I played him like 5 more games and only won one of them before he eventually win quit. By the time I stopped attacking after 1,1 he began to turtle it out hard and constantly whiff punished me all day. Even when I landed a moment to punish with jabs or d/f+1,2 the Kazumi player would do the Auto-SS punch into Tiger. Even though that move was launch punishable I believe it's a smart idea to go for to maintain the lead. I should research what poke I can do against Kazumi that would track that move. He (or she) was clearly the better player, all I can do is learn about the matchup better and work on fundamentals.

I was pretty low on the Vanquisher scale and then got paired against this Feng player who was honestly just playing like a rhinoceros. Always pressing buttons and up in your face doing crouch dash headbutt or low shoulder and whoring out the back kenpo step/backswing blow to steal turns. Every match was pretty much 3-2 rounds but I lost more than won and eventually got demoted because I suck and have shitty defense. Biggest mistake is how I fail to account pushback when I punish. Feng would do something that's -12 but I'd do the punisher which won't reach and end up getting launched with him pressing buttons on usual and then failing to break the momentum. Other mistakes are doing non-optimal punishes when you need to get the most out of every opportunity you get.

In Usurper I got paired against a Ling player who was a rank above me but I played around a dozen games against and only won 2 before getting demoted. He would always parry after doing a California roll launcher and my stupid self would always try to hopkick or do some kind of launcher only for me to get parried every time. I should have done 2,1~f into the knee string to get guaranteed damage each time even if Xiaoyu went for the BT parry. But other than that I got owned hardcore by SS AOP every time I had frame advantage. Sometimes d/f+1 would clip so I should research which moves leave me close enough to guarantee I'd hit her out of AOP. And there were numerous other rounds The Xiaoyu player came back against me with the rage drive mixup from BT. Ah well, It was good experience and the beatdown was worth it for the knowledge.

I don't have a goal in ranked, it's just the fastest way to play the game and get matched against people near my skill level.

sasuke_91

@AAK: What character did you play? I thought you played Hwoarang until you said something about hopkick and 2,1~f into knee.

Jumped into ranked again yesterday and got paired up with a friend of mine. She was one rank above me with Jin, so we kind of agreed to do a deathmatch. 11 matches after that she reached Vanquisher and I'm probably near a demotion. I only won 3 or 4 matches.

AAK

I'm done playing Hwoarang. I know he's the strongest he's ever been outside TTT2 Arcade pre-patch but the mental fortitude I need to maintain control just isn't worth it for me in T7. (I only really learned him because I enjoyed Julia the most and he was the funnest Tag partner to complement her anyway) I'm moving to simpler characters. Currently trying out Miguel after Kazumi & Shaheen didn't connect w/ me. Jack is next if I don't feel Miguel.

sasuke_91

I'm not made for simple characters. I don't have the ability to play them creatively, so I stick to characters who are creative "by design", but tbh Hwo/Steve/Ling is kind of overkill sometimes lol.
I should probably start playing Shaheen or Leo again.

By the way, whining on GAF always pays off. Got promoted to Usurper today o/
One rank to go before I concentrate on Ling and Steve a little more.

Dereck

Tekken 7 threw a wrench in many people's plans, including mine.

Hell, just look at NYC Fab, guy has been in like 6 Tekken 7 tournaments and has competed in every one of them with a different character, sometimes not even cracking top 8.

P Ling lost to Josie at the last tournament and Speedkicks lost to a Josie player two times in a row. These two players were killing it in Tag 2 and now things are different because there is new stuff in a game from new characters that people are just now learning about.

I got Destroyer in Tag 2 in 2016, that's 4 years after the game came out, so imagine how well a person could learn all of the new characters come 2018. Once the character familiarity kicks in you'll find a lot less bumps in the road.

Because a lot of the characters are different, the way we play them are different, the way I play them are different. I'm not interested in playing with Miguel in a solo game. My Lee is weak, Bryan is a tank and frustrating for me to try to open people up with and Law is simply bland.

Eventually though through persistence we all find our groove, but more importantly the character we don't feel like we're limiting ourselves to play as.

If you don't find enjoyment in every game you play then stop and move on. Oh, and why is rank so important out of the sudden?

There's an achievement to reach Warrior rank. Thus, that mark has always been important to me.

I think a lot of people cleared it through treasure battle. I decided to not play treasure battle and get to warrior online.

That is also the rank where the game stops being fun, so what I do is pick up a new character. Working on Kazuya, who has always been my favorite Mashima, but his moveset is YAWN compared to Ling's or Asuka's. The latter two have mixups everywhere, razzle dazzle. Kazuya is very...straightforward.

I used to play with Eddie back in the Tekken 3 and Tekken 4 days (I always palette-swapped Christie). I might pick him up again. Or Raven, who I always thought was cool, but I already had my hands full with Ling's acrobatics, so I never tried.

AAK

I'm not made for simple characters. I don't have the ability to play them creatively, so I stick to characters who are creative "by design", but tbh Hwo/Steve/Ling is kind of overkill sometimes lol.

I am the same way where I usually always play characters that are the most expressive with their gameplay styles. It's just that I personally feel that in Tekken 7 the reward for investing so much time and practice to these eccentric characters isn't worth it compared to the reward in TTT2.

sasuke_91

@Dereck: Yep, I had to kind of relearn my characters because I played them the way I played them in TTT2.

@Pheonix RISING: Offline rank is seperate from Online rank. And Warrior is the rank where you have to start learning the game's ins and outs. It's also the point where people start adapting a playstyle that is somewhat boring to some players.

@AAK: I think Hwoarang and Ling have gotten easier. Hwo is a little more straight-forward and Ling was given some great tools that makes it easier for me to open up people. Steve is different though. I kind of have my problems with him right now because he seems a little harder to play. I'll invest some time into him once I got that Vanquisher rank :p

Nuszka

If someone told me before release of t7 that I would be maining Lee right now I'd say they are crazy. I was dead set on playing Bry, Paul, J7, Josie but I found them boring in a way. Lee allows to express myself a bit more then the robotic playstyle I incorporated before and I'm heaving way more fun now. Who knows in a month I might be maining Kuma lol

If you don't find enjoyment in every game you play then stop and move on. Oh, and why is rank so important out of the sudden?

@sasuke_91 I know that the ranks are different. The achievement, though, is for either, and I did not want to earn them cheaply.

You've reinforced my desire to not go further than Warrior. I feel like I am no longer playing a great fighting game, but a game where everyone is trying to find and abuse exploits to win. Everything begins to feel so...unnatural.

sasuke_91

@sasuke_91 I know that the ranks are different. The achievement, though, is for either, and I did not want to earn them cheaply.

You've reinforced my desire to not go further than Warrior. I feel like I am no longer playing a great fighting game, but a game where everyone is trying to find and abuse exploits to win. Everything begins to feel so...unnatural.

Eh... you can still learn to force your own game plan on people. If you don't want to play match like that, make your opponent play at your pace.

Sasuke, DeathMatch my secondary. He's around your rank.

I'm in EU, on WiFi since the game came out 2 months ago and, most importantly, stand no chance against you :p

Spuck-uk

Banned
I'm done playing Hwoarang. I know he's the strongest he's ever been outside TTT2 Arcade pre-patch but the mental fortitude I need to maintain control just isn't worth it for me in T7. (I only really learned him because I enjoyed Julia the most and he was the funnest Tag partner to complement her anyway) I'm moving to simpler characters. Currently trying out Miguel after Kazumi & Shaheen didn't connect w/ me. Jack is next if I don't feel Miguel.

You might want to take a look at Katarina. Simple but very effective.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Think I'm going to try to do the ten rage drives achievement next. Just gotta figure out how to do that with Xiaoyu. Any advice?

Hyun Sai

I find Katarina's character design a huge turn off.

Same here. Wanted to try her, but her design is too "vulgar" for me to enjoy playing her.

I may try Asuka though.

Tekken World Tour Online Australia

https://www.twitch.tv/tekken

Just cover her up with some clothes if that's such a big deal. None of that "sexiness" comes through in her movelist.
That's true, but for me a character must be enjoyable in his default outfit, not with bandaids ^^

Sayah

Katrina's enjoyable to play but her default hair are some of worst designed hair I've ever seen with huge amounts of clipping. And I don't like any of her custom hair options. Need to put that huge ass diva hat on her to make the hair look less awful.

Claudio is the most enjoyable newcomer by far though.

Nuszka

That's true, but for me a character must be enjoyable in his default outfit, not with bandaids ^^

I have a similar approach , first and foremost is the default design , then the playstyle. So characters no matter how good they might be for me i will never touch , wink Bob wink.

I can understand that.

I hate Bryan and refuse to play him because of his design.

I have a similar approach , first and foremost is the default design , then the playstyle. So characters no matter how good they might be for me i will never touch , wink Bob wink.
Yo, are you knocking a character that's fat because he was already fast and wanted to add weight to make fights against big opponents fairer and his feats more impressive?

AAK

Katarina also has one of the most awkward looking default stances I've seen in a 3D fighter. It's compounded with the fact her frame remains static while nearly everyone else's default stance oscillates with each breath they take.

It is a shame because her moveset can look really cool in many instances.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Same here. Wanted to try her, but her design is too "vulgar" for me to enjoy playing her.

Vulgar? She's a long legged asskicker who's considerably better clothed than most female fighting game characters*

*I really hate her stupid high heels and idle stance myself

Spuck-uk

Banned
I can understand that.

I hate Bryan and refuse to play him because of his design.

Yo, are you knocking a character that's fat because he was already fast and wanted to add weight to make fights against big opponents fairer and his feats more impressive?

Bobs design is seriously underrated, he's dumb as hell in the best way.

Personal hatred is Anna and her awful bangs, but she's not in Tekken 7 thankfully.

MechaX

I may try Asuka though.

Personally, I haven't gravitated to a character like I did with Katarina since Ky in Guilty Gear or Sarah Bryant in Virtua Fighter, in terms of looks, personality, and gameplay style.

Plus, she has some really good custom clothes (shirt, bomber jacket and jeans > default design).

My problem personally is that I don't really want to try anyone else, which is super rare for me in a fighter where I typically have issues picking someone.

Top Bottom