• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJV3

Theresa May refuses to spell out Tory tax policy

By cutting taxes they mean cutting public services, privatising it all, and financially benefitting from the mess while you're unable to afford basic health care.

Also, notice how she evades questions and attacks the opposition. Very Trump like. If the tories have a plan then it doesn't benefit you at all which is why they won't talk about it.

I think the Tory press fear they will actually go for tax rises because of public finances, I'm not sure how that will work if the economy is suffering at the same time.

Jezbollah

Opinium poll (since Election announced):

Con 45% (+7)
Lab 26% (-3)
Lib Dems 11% (+4)
UKIP 9% (-5)
Green 3% (-2)

I think we're seeing a few potential trends now (UKIP -> Con, Lab/Greens (?) -> LibDems)

Opinium poll (since Election announced):

Con 45% (+7)
Lab 26% (-3)
Lib Dems 11% (+4)
UKIP 9% (-5)
Green 3% (-2)

I think we're seeing a few potential trends now (UKIP -> Con, Lab/Greens (?) -> LibDems)

The scorpion has once again convinced the frog to carry itself across the river. The people in this country will never learn. They deserve nothing.

PJV3

The scorpion has once again convinced the frog to carry itself across the river. The people in this country will never learn. They deserve nothing.

It's a bit depressing but the UKIP crew returning to the SS Conservative might be the start of the next political swing back the other way.

And what is particularly interesting, and may well be relevant for those arguing that Labour should ditch Brexit and campaign on remaining in the EU, is this:

The Tories are trusted by almost three times as many voters (38%) to handle Brexit negotiations most effectively, compared with 13% for Labour. Even among Remain voters, there is support from many for the way May is handling Brexit. Among Remainers, 36% think she is handling Brexit well, while 66% of Leave voters say she is doing a good job. Corbyn beats May when voters are asked who sticks to their principles most: 47% say Corbyn and 46% May. But 55% say May is a strong leader, against 17% for Corbyn.

Source

theaface

Asked again, she said: “What I’m saying is that when people come to vote they will have a choice between two parties: between the strong and stable leadership that will be in the national interest doing the right thing for Britain under the Conservatives or a weak and unstable coalition of chaos led by Jeremy Corbyn."

Is it PMQs again already?

"I'll tell you what I definitely won't do - be as bad as the other guy!"

Christ on a bike. Valid criticisms of Corbyn and Labour aside, I have no idea what the electorate sees in May. Her facade is so bloody transparent. I look forward to the day(s) when the penny does finally drop.

DBT85

I'm sure that if Farron somehow ends up in government then he will put aside his personal beliefs and push for greater LGBT rights, and that's great. However I'd still feel odd voting for a party with a hardline Christian as leader.

I am ok with it providing he's not using his position to spread any shite like gays are evil and all that crap. His record is clear, which is why I'm #TeamYellow.

How can she honestly say with a straight face that the Conservatives offer "strong and stable" leadership?

Because that's been the Conservative line for like, ever? Cons are stable and secure and fiscally responsible, Labour spend all your money and don't balance the books.

I am ok with it providing he's not using his position to spread any shite like gays are evil and all that crap. His record says he won't do that.

For one, if he tried anything insane whilst leader, the membership can, surprisingly easily IIRC, call for a special conference on the matter.

Two, he gave a clear answer in the Commons the other day on the topic of if he thought homosexuality was a sin...

I do not, and I tell the hon. Gentleman this: I am very proud to have gone through the Aye Lobby in the coalition Government when the Liberal Democrats introduced gay marriage and equal marriage, and, indeed, did not go as far as they should have in recognising transgender rights. There is much more to be done, and if we campaign in this election, as we will, for an open, tolerant, united society, we will need to make sure we are not in any way complacent about lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender rights, and not just here, but in other parts of the world, particularly given what is going on in Chechnya at the moment.

Also that Opinium poll is really odd, as it reads like a poll from, say, Yougov from before the GE was announced.

+4 repeated in a Yougov poll would put us on about 15%, but I will refrain from heady optimism right now. I'll be infinitely happier when we reach that old happy zone of 16% that we used to fill so well.

EDIT: New ComRes poll!

Con 50
Lab 25
LD 11
UKIP 7
Grn 3

With a uniform national swing that would give the Tories a majority if 186 or so.

Yup. It's all the voters fault.

It isn't all the voters fault but the majority of the voting electorate inadvertently made their lives, and the lives of everyone else, harder because they were too stupid to investigate the facts of the BS being sold to them. So fuck those anti-intellectual dick heads.

DBT85

For one, if he tried anything insane whilst leader, the membership can, surprisingly easily IIRC, call for a special conference on the matter.

Two, he gave a clear answer in the Commons the other day on the topic of if he thought homosexuality was a sin...

Forgive me, I was saying he won't push his or his faiths wider beliefs on the politics, I realise my initial comment might have read that he can't put country above his faith which is clearly not true from his voting record. Whether he is telling the truth about his personal beliefs or not, his voting record says he does the right thing.

I'm well in the #TeamYellow camp, don't worry!

Just wanted to be clear, no worries.

We are getting a lot of polls tonight and tomorrow. Britain Elects will have them up quick.

To me it seems very likely that we are going to see the Tories floating around 50% for the majority of this campaign.

It isn't all the voters fault but the majority of the voting electorate inadvertently made their lives, and the lives of everyone else, harder because they were too stupid to investigate the facts of the BS being sold to them. So fuck those anti-intellectual dick heads.

Ok, great, fuck em, but if the guys selling them shit are still more appealing than the other guys (with their facts and of the BS) after 7 years in government, don't you think the opposition own quite a bit of the responsibility?

What happened to shy Tories?
Crazy times.

All-new polling methods, mostly.

Will be interesting to see the shift from this baseline once voters get exposed to the candidates, the policies and the rhetoric. Can Corbyn look good on the campaign trail? Will Farron be able to be taken notice of? So exciting.

PJV3

All-new polling methods, mostly.

Will be interesting to see the shift from this baseline once voters get exposed to the candidates, the policies and the rhetoric. Can Corbyn look good on the campaign trail? Will Farron be able to be taken notice of? So exciting.

As it stands the SNP will secretly be delighted that the Tories will crush all before them. I'm very sad about what's happening to the country really, but it is what it is.

Yeah, this election will be amazing for the SNP.

They do have potential losses on their hands though, both at the hands of the Tories and LDs. The won't get away bloodlessly.

Against Labour though...

Same as Wales. This election will be a blood bath for the Welsh Labour Party.

Calabi

Its kind of tragically hilarious, the Conservatives have done and are doing all the wrong and worst possibly things in this negotiations, and yet everyone thinks their doing a great job and will do a great job for the country.

BKK

I guess I'm most Tory here ...

tg9UCav.png

Empty

50% is mad even if it's the inevitable result of the tories hoovering up all the ukip vote

it's strange how much cameron was holding back the tory vote, even if he was necessary to revive the party from their blair era slump. may-ism is pretty much exactly what the country wants.

PJV3

50% is mad even if it's the inevitable result of the tories hoovering up all the ukip vote

it's strange how much cameron was holding back the tory vote, even if he was necessary to revive the party from their blair era slump. may-ism is pretty much exactly what the country wants.

They still have 7% left to hoover, absolutely insane numbers.

Jezbollah

Well, all those Labour members who supported Corbyn in the Leadership elections will finally get that small movement they've always craved for.

Jackpot

Banned
The Times political cartoon today.

What's funny is how right they are.

There is no "saboteur" threat from the other parties. LDs are too small and Labour has vote in favour of everything.

The saboteur threat is from Tory party infighting, where juggling hard and soft brexiteers could lead to a backbench rebellion.

For the second time in a year the government decides to screw over the country all to settle its own infighting.

jelly

I don't think it's unexpected for SNP to lose seats, didn't they abstain from this election vote probably because will lose seats. People would still choose the UK over Europe and SNP while a decent choice among pure shit have been in power for ages and NHS is still a bit shit for people and staff, less shitty than England, there is still food banks, education is a bit borked, hundreds of schools were built badly and the idea of renting them for eternity is beyond stupid. I guess you can't fault them for deliberately being scum like the Tories but they aren't saviours with sunshine and rainbows, incompetent sometimes though and enough proof in the pudding for the time they've been in office. Good on them for continuing free education and prescriptions though.

Snowman

I think it's a mistake to assume anything about how people actually feel about policies. Tories are crushing it based on perceived competency vs perceived incompetency more than anything else. It doesn't even get to the point where people are deciding between different ideologies, they literally just don't think labour are capable. At least that's what I'm seeing.

BKK

It aligns us with French and German elections, so five years to arrange Brexit ... 2 years to leave, 2 years transition, and a year until next elections (gives us 3-4 years to negotiate a free trade deal). This was the most sensible decision that she could come to.

Mr Git

I guess it's time to start the Lynton Crosby bingo scorecard: I've already got 5000 of security. Anyone wanna swap a security for a hard working families?

Uzzy

At this rate they're gonna need get bring some folding chairs in the Tories will need so many.

Might finally inspire the MPs to start the much needed renovations on Westminster Palace before the place collapses.

Looking elsewhere on that polling, the results of the question 'Who would you trust to manage the NHS?' stands out, as Theresa May takes 29% of the vote, while Jeremy Corbyn takes 26% of the vote.

I think it's a mistake to assume anything about how people actually feel about policies. Tories are crushing it based on perceived competency vs perceived incompetency more than anything else. It doesn't even get to the point where people are deciding between different ideologies, they literally just don't think labour are capable. At least that's what I'm seeing.

Speaking of policies, the Sunday Times has a bit about how May is going to put a pledge to cap energy bills in the manifesto. Remember what happened when Miliband talked about that? Just goes to show that you're right, it's about competence and vision and how you sell yourself, not facts and figures.

PJV3

Well, all those Labour members who supported Corbyn in the Leadership elections will finally get that small movement they've always craved for.

After the PLP basically called him unfit to lead it was just selfish voting for him in the leadership election. If he doesn't go I can see it getting fucking ugly very quickly.

Randdalf

Well, Lib Dems have ruled out any coalition deals.

Not that they'll get the opportunity to make any in the first place...

BKK

Yeah. I don't think the tories are going to end up anywere near 50% of the vote. Probably closer to 45%.

I wouldn't usually expect the Tories to make 50%, but can you expect the rest to make 50%? I don't think so, Tories are the only serious party right now.

mo60

I wouldn't usually expect the Tories to make 50%, but can you expect the rest to make 50%? I don't think so, Tories are the only serious party right now.

I think labour will end up getting somewhere between 25 and 28 percent of the vote. Lib dem probably somewhere between 12 and 15 percent of the vote and the other 10%+.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I think labour will end up getting somewhere between 25 and 28 percent of the vote. Lib dem probably somewhere between 12 and 15 percent of the vote and the other 10%+.

The problem is turning votes into seats. The Lib Dems will definitely get closer to what they were but the Tories will still snatch up the contested seats.

BKK

They should do, and I would normally expect them, to, but I just can't see it this time. Even UKIP gonna get screwed by the Tories. Maybe SNP come out alright (just about from what we read).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom