• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit trilogy - News, rumours and discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Much as I love Dantes, his Hobbit thread was way beyond overkill. There really shouldn't be a 50mb toll for viewing the OP to get the simplest info and media quick.

NeoGiff

I was finally able to start working on the Desolation |OT| today, thought I'd give you guys a small preview of where I'm taking it. Bare in mind it's a work-in-progress :)

As I said a page or so back, because I'm severely pressed for time over the next two weeks thanks to life happening + the holidays it's going to be a much smaller OT compared to Dantes' AUJ masterpiece of a thread. But hopefully it will get the job done. No ETA on when it'll be finished, but I'm hoping for next Monday.

Wow, that's beautiful, Loxley. Never mind its size, even the smallest thread can change the course of the future ;)

Looks like it's set to be a phenomenal OT!

Altazor

I was finally able to start working on the Desolation |OT| today, thought I'd give you guys a small preview of where I'm taking it. Bare in mind it's a work-in-progress :)

As I said a page or so back, because I'm severely pressed for time over the next two weeks thanks to life happening + the holidays it's going to be a much smaller OT compared to Dantes' AUJ masterpiece of a thread. But hopefully it will get the job done. No ETA on when it'll be finished, but I'm hoping for next Monday.

my word, Loxley! That's absolutely beautiful! It'll be a great OT, I'm sure :)

~Kinggi~

Banned
I am incredibly pleased to hear the positive reviews. This series needs a kick in the ass after Hobbit, which was good in its own right but really had too much of the 'more of the same' feel throughout it, despite me liking it more than most.

Loxley

Oh, by the way, those Desolation opening day nerd-jersey shirts are available on TheHobbitShop.com until tomorrow, so get'em while they're hot. I myself have opted for the 'Smaug' design.

That looks ace. Awesome work Loxley.

Wow, that's beautiful, Loxley. Never mind its size, even the smallest thread can change the course of the future ;)

Looks like it's set to be a phenomenal OT!

my word, Loxley! That's absolutely beautiful! It'll be a great OT, I'm sure :)

Thanks guys <3

strafer

kk1Vds5.jpg

haikira

Have to throw another encouraging comment to Loxley. OT looks good =D

Friends aren't free to watch this, until the 21st at the earliest. Think I'm going to sneak a watch at launch though, as I really don't think I'll be able to wait that long.

Seriously, I mean does anyone believe we are ever getting another blockbuster movie outside of the hobbit trilogy in HFR. I'm honestly viewing this as a once in a lifetime experience.

Supposedly Days of Future Past was shot in HFR, but I don't believe we've ever gotten official confirmation on that.

Rootbeer

Banned
Avatar sequels likely to be 60fps + 5K in those IMAX cinemas that upgrade to laser projection next year.

Hot damn, 5K already... guess 8K needs more time to bake. 60FPS is going to be glorious. AUJ was a watershed film in a lot of ways, hopefully Cameron has seen where HFR works really well and where some careful handling and creativity can usher in improvements.

I saw AUJ in HFR twice in theaters, and one area where I think it's particularly jarring is when there' sa lot of quick cuts next to one another. The scene that stands out to me is near the beginning when Bilbo is fetching his book. Granted, it's near the beginning and that may be more of an acclimation problem for me since as I've only seen HFR twice my brain is not totally wired for it yet. I just remember it giving much more of the "fast forward" effect than a lot of other sequences.

God I wish they'd just release the HFR version as a download so I can relive the film that way. The comparison I've made a few times is like with music, there are speciality sites that cater to ultra-high quality music (HDTracks), I really wish we had something like that for HFR films and other scarcities that the public may not be that interested in, but a highly-devoted group of enthusiasts would eat up.

Anyway, I love HFR and hope this is only just the beginning. It's a lot more interesting to me than 3D, though they work really well in tandem. I'd like to see television move to 48/60fps native in the coming years. I'm not much for sports but I'm thankful that it has such a huge audience, because it's definitely the next big thing for that.

I caved and watched the clip of
Thranduil, Legolas and the Orc
, holy shit that sent goosebumps down my back!

Will not watch the others.... must not...

Bregor

Would it be out of place to have some minor dedication to Edmond in the Official Thread? He did so much for the Tolkien community on this board for so long.

I'm pretty sure AUJ started with 90/100 BFCA score too. Too early to judge that, there are probably only a handful of critics who have scored it yet,

I'm pretty worried after reading those impressions at IMDB.

It seems to me that giving free reign to PJ to construct his idea of the Hobbit was not a good one.

The character of Tauriel sounds like something that would never pass in the Lotr films - I remember that Arwen was supposed to fight but the scenes were deleted after the backlash of the fans.

Hope that I'm proven wrong in a week - can't wait for the reviews popping in nevertheless.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Two things

Does anyone notice when Thorin is talking to someone...anyone.. he will do the look up at them slowly motion 3 or 4 times? got a bit jarring in AUJ and seems to have carried over into DOS. I loved AUJ, looking forward to this, pace should ramp up nicely.

Also I wonder if it will begin with another Bilbo prologue? I hope so.

Two things

Does anyone notice when Thorin is talking to someone...anyone.. he will do the look up at them slowly motion 3 or 4 times? got a bit jarring in AUJ and seems to have carried over into DOS. I loved AUJ, looking forward to this, pace should ramp up nicely.

Also I wonder if it will begin with another Bilbo prologue? I hope so.

Maybe Bilbo shortly after he arrived in Rivendell to finish his book (Desolation) and third movie shortly before the fellowship gathers? I can already picture the silly scene where he finishes writing, looks up from the book and sees Gandalf/Eowyn+Frodo arrive.

Agreed. Not only does it make the film less accessible to those that HAVEN'T seen LotR, but it immediately reminds you how much better Ian Holm is than Martin Freeman at playing Bilbo.

Peter Jackson and New Line president Toby Emmerich were feeling a heavy dose of nostalgia at Monday night’s premiere of “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug” at the Dolby Theatre.

They both allowed that there was more than a passing similarity to 2002&#8242;s “The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.” Both films were based on J.R.R. Tolkien novels and both were the middle films of a trilogy.

“I got a very similar feeling from watching this tonight as I did back then with ‘The Two Towers,’” Emmerich admittted. “There was a lot of action with a
cliffhanger ending
. It also reminded me a lot of ‘The Empire Strikes Back,’ which was also a second film in a trilogy.”

During the after-party, Jackson confessed that he was somewhat relieved.

“This was the first time that I’d seen it with an audience, so it was great that the audience reacted the way they did,” he noted. “It was very, very pleasing.”

http://variety.com/2013/scene/news/peter-jackson-gets-nostalgic-at-hobbit-premiere-1200914152/

Well i'd be genuinely surprised if the president of the studio that is producing this movie had anything but good things to say about it ;) (at least in front of the press)

Oh sweet, my local theater has the HFR version of the movie this year. I was so tempted to go to a theater an hour away last year to see it once but never could find the time.

And they're playing a double feature of the first one and this one in HFR on opening day. So tempted.

Google+ Hangout with Peter Jackson, Evangeline Lilly and Richard Armitage today at 10.15am PT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZl8syHuebM

Also, Richard Corliss has named DOS one of the Top 10 movies of 2013.

Who could guess, after the meandering first feature in a seemingly unnecessary eight-hour trilogy of films based on a novel of less than 300 pages, that Peter Jackson had such a vigorous and thrilling middle episode in store? With Bilbo (Martin Freeman), Gandalf (Ian McKellen) and the dwarves finally done with introductory dawdling, they dive into a nonstop adventure among the noble Elves, the rough-hewn humans of Laketown and the ferocious dragon Smaug (voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch). This time, Andy Serkis has not lent his presence to Gollum, but his work as second-unit director is spectacular. Each complex encounter, especially a flume-ride escape of the dwarves, boasts a teeming ingenuity of action and character. A bonus:
the budding romance of the warrior Elf Tauriel (Evangeline Lilly) and the dwarf hunk Kili (Aidan Turner)
. In all, this is a splendid achievement, close to the grandeur of Jackson&#8217;s Lord of the Rings films.

http://entertainment.time.com/2013/12/04/arts-and-entertainment/slide/top-10-best-movies/

Waah! The thread sees some life! Lovely OT image, Loxley. Thanks so much again for spending your extra time working on it for all of us :)

Edmond is in the movie. That's why he isn't here.

God. Dammit. I fuckin' hope so. His presence is sorely missed, I really hope he comes back soon :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom