• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I suck at using the JoyCons, you?

(Playing with a single Joy Con)

I'm having problems switching weapons with the Octopath demo.
the game system constantly forces you to switch weapons to better attack certain class of enemies,
so simply pressing left for spear and right for sword, make me screw up each time
and I ended up selecting something else.

Every time I try to log in to my switch store (or whatever is called) just trying to enter
my username is a nightmare, sometimes I have to use the "D" pad to get it to work.

I don't believe in having to buy a "pro" controller so I'm just hoping that when Mario odyssey
comes out it's all analog fun

I cant even imagine trying to do some mortal kombat Raiden Areyoumamatei attacks and stuff,
maybe sonic booms wouldn't even be that bad because you can diagonally charge downwards,
but I would probably flip forwards after pressing forward.

BTW I'm not a newb at games I completed all SFV combo trials V1 & missing V2,
so I know it's not me, well maybe, but still.

Rant over :(

tuffymon

You already said it in the title, but maybe given enough time you'll improve? I actually enjoy the joycons over my procontroller, and would rather use the stand and play that way over a true handheld (where applicable).

Heropon Weegee

Neo Member
this happens to me when playing puyo puyo tetris on a single joycon. hard drops when trying to move left or right just messes up my combos

I think they're fine. I dunno about hand sizes or whatever and if my hands are smaller than average but they're comfy and I think the D-Pad buttons work, even if I do want to get a Pro Controller eventually. Maybe the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 one.

Granted I haven't played a 2D game yet so that may change things.

-shadow-

No problems unless I play Puyo Puyo with a single joy-con. I occasionally accidentally quick drop whatever I have. No problems outside of that actually. I find the four buttons setup d-pad quite nice too, though would prefer an actual d-pad. It works well enough.

this happens to me when playing puyo puyo tetris on a single joycon. hard drops when trying to move left or right just messes up my combos

Right, right..I forgot about this demo that I have , it could be the same tetris game you are talking about...something about left and right makes me screw up constantly.

Wait, why do you have to "login" to the eshop? I never have to do that.

beats me , it ask for my login each time.
I could be a setting issue.

Well.. Why wouldn't you use the d pad for something like that?

The Joy-con analog sticks are very sensitive. Might be because of their small size/height?

Also your Sonic boom comment makes no sense to me. Why would that make it easier on a split button d-pad?

They aren't nice, but I don't see a real work around it. Although my main problem is the sticks are too short, you lose way too much precision with them.

I don't mind them so much in portable mode on the sides of the console, but I would never use them instead of the pro controller for TV play.

spad3

I think it's fine. It just takes some getting used to that's all.

Also, the Pro controller is definitely worth it.

MoogleMan

The left one's not too bad for me, but the right one is unusable. Thankfully I have a few pro controllers and just use them for everything.

Well.. Why wouldn't you use the d pad for something like that?

The Joy-con analog sticks are very sensitive. Might be because of their small size/height?

Also your Sonic boom comment makes no sense to me. Why would that make it easier on a split button d-pad?

Maybe I should have mentioned that all my examples are when playing with One signle Joy Con.

I'm to Lazy sometimes to Voltron the two together ,
perhaps that will enable the "D" pad in the octo demo, still the Analogs are whats' messing me up.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Maybe I should have mentioned that all my examples are when playing with One signle Joy Con.

I'm to Lazy sometimes to Voltron the two together ,
perhaps that will enable the "D" pad in the octo demo, still the Analogs are whats' messing me up.

You know you can use them together while not in the grip, correct? One in each hand.

You know you can use them together while not in the grip, correct? One in each hand.

Thanks, I might have tried that, but I wonder if the octopath demo allows for me to move left and right with the "D" pad buttons.

still I need to get used to pressing left and right without my finger going up or down all the time.

I got a Pro bundled with my Switch but I loved using the Joy-Cons so sold it in the end.

This is a good idea,
will the system still work witouth the joy cons?

I don't take my switch anywhere with me anyhow.

Edit: I read wrong, I thought you said you sold your Joy cons and just using the Pro-controller

Amazon gives me $27.34 - not bad maybe I'll just put that credit towards the pro

Olinad

Neo Member
The smaller sticks of the Joycons felt really strange at the beginning, but now I got used to them. It actually feels slightly strange getting back to normal controllers.

But well, I don't have big hands so I get it must be the complete opposite for some people.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
This is a good idea,
will the system still work witouth the joy cons?

I don't take my switch anywhere with me anyhow.

Edit: I read wrong, I thought you said you sold your Joy cons and just using the Pro-controller

Amazon gives me $27.34 - not bad maybe I'll just put that credit towards the pro

Sell them on GAF. They retail for like $40 each.

If they are neon (superior color) then you will get a good price probably.

edit: I do think it is a bad idea to sell them though.

It's not something I'd want to use for shooters or rocket league due to the Z buttons being buttons rather than triggers, but otherwise it's fine for me. Getting by with aiming in BotW thanks to motion controls for fine tuning.

BizzyBum

I agree OP, I find them super uncomfortable to use.

Trust me and get the pro controller. I know $70 is steep, but you'll never touch the joy cons again once you experience playing these games with it. It's a night and day difference.

Terrorblot

Single JoyCons aren't the greatest thing to use honestly, but are fantastic as a fast and easy way to get people playing multiplayer. I think one of the things that I've really come to appreciate is how I've found myself playing multiplayer games on my Switch multiple times by passing someone the right JoyCon when I never would have thought to have packed as second controller, or if it was a typical handheld I wouldn't have had the option at all. I've played more Multiplayer on the Switch than the 3DS, DS, and Wii U combined.

They aren't fantastic as stand alone controllers, and I don't think anyone is *really* suggesting that people consciously use them and only them, much better to pick up a pro controller and give someone the joycons and grip, but what sets the Joycons apart from the rest is they are always there, always present, providing the opportunity for impromptu multiplayer at a moments notice. I actually played a game of Bomberman with a coworker I barely knew in the break room and got my family to play 1-2 Switch and Tetris on vacation, most people have a blast and are eager to play more!

Surfside

Banned
No i love using my Joycons. It feels just so unrestraining using them. The only problem i have encountered, is that i sometimes press the screenshot button by accident.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I really dislike using a single joycon, but if I have to, I strongly prefer the left one. Right is horrible.

I think they're pretty comfortable. Obviously not as much as a full sized controller but they get the job done and are far more convenient for quick multiplayer.

Using them together while split is really nice. So chilled to play games like Stardew Valley that way.

Mikey Jr.

Using the 2 joycons separately is actually pretty damn good.

Putting them into that holster sucks ass. Terrible controller.

Separate though? Pretty damn good. And thats without putting those 2 extensions in. I actually don't like them. Can't wrap my hand very well around them.

forrest

formerly nacire
Rarely use them due to the poor ergonomics. They just don't offer anything that is worth the compromise in function and form for me. I much prefer to play docked/tabletop or with a tablet mount in bed, paired with my pro controller. I really would like to see a tablet mount made for the pro controller. I've seen a few 3d printable solutions, but nothing commercial.

I actually think the joycons are extremely well designed and far more usable than I'd have imagined just from looking at them

Top Bottom