• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Inkwell

Banned
I just played some fun levels, and in an attempt to keep this thread going I thought I would post them here.

Zelda OoT: Forest Temple

It looks like he has re-made most, if not all, of the dungeons from OoT in Mario Maker. I easily recognized the areas in this one, and I'm really looking forward to trying out the other ones.

The Great Bowser Bank Heist

The design of this level is very clever. It's a neat story level that looks nice as well. I don't want to spoil anything so I'll leave it at that.

Drop&Slide Puzzle◆ドロップ&スライド パズル

It's a puzzle level with a simple concept that has a steady increase in difficulty. You have to reach a door in each room using bullet bill canons by dropping the platforms they are on in a specific order.

The Deserted Donut Dunes

This one is a technical level designed around donut blocks (if it wasn't obvious from the title). The aesthetics of the level are decent, though can seem cluttered at times. I thought the level was challenging without being too difficult, and it has some neat ideas.

I would recommend checking out these people's other levels as well. Some look pretty interesting. I have a couple of observations.

First, that last level I posted was created on March 19. It has 830 players with 186 stars as I type this. I'm not saying any of my levels are as good or better than this, but I uploaded 4 levels on February 18 plus that other one a few days ago. The total amount of unique players for all 5 is 117 with a total of 22 stars. I wonder what other communities are still showing support for Mario Maker. It's a bit disheartening I'm getting so few plays compared to when I first got the game. I mean it's still fun to make levels no matter how few people will play it, but it's just not the same.

My second observation has to do with that puzzle level, but mostly the person's other levels. They do a ton of pixel art that you see in the level screenshot. They also get tons of plays and stars. I almost want to upload the same level twice, where one has a bunch of pixel art and the other doesn't. As long as the level isn't terrible, I'm curious just how different the number of stars and plays might be.

jholmes

First, that last level I posted was created on March 19. It has 830 players with 186 stars as I type this. I'm not saying any of my levels are as good or better than this, but I uploaded 4 levels on February 18 plus that other one a few days ago. The total amount of unique players for all 5 is 117 with a total of 22 stars. I wonder what other communities are still showing support for Mario Maker. It's a bit disheartening I'm getting so few plays compared to when I first got the game. I mean it's still fun to make levels no matter how few people will play it, but it's just not the same.

My second observation has to do with that puzzle level, but mostly the person's other levels. They do a ton of pixel art that you see in the level screenshot. They also get tons of plays and stars. I almost want to upload the same level twice, where one has a bunch of pixel art and the other doesn't. As long as the level isn't terrible, I'm curious just how different the number of stars and plays might be.

I'm pretty sure the Reddit community is really active and the only way to get attention there is to have pixel art in the preview and vines hanging off everything. I don't know that it's Reddit for a fact as I don't post there, but that's the impression that I get.

chrixter

My Wii U has had Internet connectivity issues over the past week but I was finally able to sort it out and play some levels.

So I went back and remade one of my first levels, 'Forest of Frustration', and WOW I couldn't believe how poorly made it was. From the low ceilings to the cheap troll deaths to the enemy spam and stale esthetics, I realized how much I learned/you guys taught me.
I'll throw it here and if you guys could tell me if it is a decent improvement, I'd appreciate it. As always, if you ENJOY it, please star. If not, kill it with fire.

Old level: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/FAAF-0000-030C-EB0E

New level: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/FA95-0000-0314-FBAD
Yeah, this version feels a lot better. Much more space to jump and move around which made the platforming more enjoyable. I think it was a good idea to remove the Bob-omb/bricks section - there's nothing wrong with that mechanic of course but it somewhat conflicted with the pacing of what is otherwise a mostly traditional platforming level.

If I could offer a tip, it'd be to consider how long you generally expect players to take to reach each checkpoint and the flagpole (not counting deaths) when making a level. For example, getting to the first checkpoint felt like it took longer than getting to the second checkpoint and flagpole combined. But you placed them right after the boss fights and kept the level's difficulty pretty consistent throughout, so it's not really a big deal in this level. The time between checkpoints is just something I noticed and wanted to mention.

Here's a new level

Bumper Jumper Thumper

There's nothing super special about this one, but I did have some goals in mind. First (and most obvious) is that I wanted to use bumpers everywhere. I actually really dislike them in levels, but I wanted to try to use them extensively, but with enough restraint to make the level still feel like a regular Mario level. Second, I really wanted to make something that had a decent difficulty curve. I honestly don't know how successful I was. Sometimes I get carried away and make a really big difficulty spike right near the end. I did do that here, but I tried to show some restraint. Finally, I wanted to make some sections that seemed more menacing than they actually are. There's a few sections that will seem overly difficult, but are relatively easy if you don't panic.
I'm not a fan of bumpers either but I hadn't really played a level designed around them until yours. My issue with them is that I always expect a more diagonal trajectory whenever I bounce off closer to the sides. But I eventually got more comfortable with them in this level and enjoyed it. The progression of ideas here is great, as usual.

Your point about certain sections seeming difficult but are actually relatively easy applied to me. This is my fault, but since the castle section introduces the challenge of avoiding bumpers, the idea stuck with me which meant during the second blue platform ride I was trying to jump over those last three bumpers before the key. Doing it that way is pretty difficult and I died several times there, but I managed. It felt like a difficulty spike, but then during a later section where you're forced to bounce without holding the jump button it occurred to me that I could've done the same at the key section. So I went back and, sure enough, it was much easier! I realized that was most likely the intended method. Less a design issue and more my lack of familiarity with bumpers, I think. With that in mind I think the difficulty does feel right, including the last section which went smoothly for me.

I would recommend checking out these people's other levels as well. Some look pretty interesting. I have a couple of observations.

That Forest Temple one is kind of amazing in how it translates certain rooms. I have some peeves with that last level but I appreciate that it stays focused on its mechanic and doesn't try to kill you.

I would love to know the details of the game's algorithm for surfacing levels. I've only uploaded a few levels myself so I don't have much to back me up on this, but from what I've observed the algorithm seems especially brutal. I uploaded my first level back in 2015 and occasionally I submit it to new streamers to play. Whenever I do, I see a spike in unique plays for about a week. It was at around 195 stars for a few months, and then a few weeks ago I submitted it to 2 or 3 streamers who played and starred it. It got about 10 more stars over the following week so I assume the algorithm started surfacing it more in 100-man Normal. It's fallen off again since. It seems that a streak of just a handful of players failing to clear or star a level can send it back to obscurity. I noticed similar patterns with the first upload and reupload of my most recent level. Submitting the first version to 10 or so streamers over the course of a few days led to about 50 unique players in a week. Only a few have played the reupload and after 10 days now it has just 13 uniques.

Point being that there seems to be some sort of exponential effect for a level's fate depending on how well it fairs recently, and changing its likelihood of being surfaced probably takes a big shift in clears/stars. Like jholmes said, the SMM reddit community is still pretty active (today's daily level sharing thread over there has 84 replies as of this post). Even if only a handful of redditors play some specific level that's been posted in a given day, that might be enough for the algorithm to decide to surface it to dozens more, and if those people clear/star it, that could lead to it being played by hundreds/thousands more and receiving those massive amounts of stars that even levels created in 2017 are getting. Who knows. And yeah, a nice snapshot and striking pixel art in the overall layout seem to be huge factors in compelling someone to play a level, unfortunately. Uploading two versions of the same level would be an interesting experiment, indeed.

Btw, I caved and reuploaded my most recent level if anyone is interested in a difficult (borderline Super Expert) wall jumping level. Still not sure I'm 100% happy with it but I'm gonna try to stop obsessing over small details.

Inkwell

Banned
I'm not a fan of bumpers either but I hadn't really played a level designed around them until yours. My issue with them is that I always expect a more diagonal trajectory whenever I bounce off closer to the sides. But I eventually got more comfortable with them in this level and enjoyed it. The progression of ideas here is great, as usual.

Your point about certain sections seeming difficult but are actually relatively easy applied to me. This is my fault, but since the castle section introduces the challenge of avoiding bumpers, the idea stuck with me which meant during the second blue platform ride I was trying to jump over those last three bumpers before the key. Doing it that way is pretty difficult and I died several times there, but I managed. It felt like a difficulty spike, but then during a later section where you're forced to bounce without holding the jump button it occurred to me that I could've done the same at the key section. So I went back and, sure enough, it was much easier! I realized that was most likely the intended method. Less a design issue and more my lack of familiarity with bumpers, I think. With that in mind I think the difficulty does feel right, including the last section which went smoothly for me.

Thanks for the feedback! That second blue platform section may be a problem. I think you can bounce off the bumpers to an extent, but that actually isn't the intended method. You're just meant to jump over them and back onto the platform. When you have the higher spike ceiling, you can jump over the bumpers with a full jump and not touch the spikes at all. Even when you're big. When the ceiling lowers, you actually won't touch the spikes at all if you're small. If you're big, as long as you don't take any kind of running jump (just jump straight up first before moving over the bumper) you won't hit those spikes. I found the section stressful but easy. It was actually a little more difficult before, and I made it easier so I thought it wouldn't be too much of a trouble spot. I'll have to check and see how many deaths are there, but I may wait until I get a few more players.

I'm pretty sure the Reddit community is really active and the only way to get attention there is to have pixel art in the preview and vines hanging off everything. I don't know that it's Reddit for a fact as I don't post there, but that's the impression that I get.
I would love to know the details of the game's algorithm for surfacing levels. I've only uploaded a few levels myself so I don't have much to back me up on this, but from what I've observed the algorithm seems especially brutal. I uploaded my first level back in 2015 and occasionally I submit it to new streamers to play. Whenever I do, I see a spike in unique plays for about a week. It was at around 195 stars for a few months, and then a few weeks ago I submitted it to 2 or 3 streamers who played and starred it. It got about 10 more stars over the following week so I assume the algorithm started surfacing it more in 100-man Normal. It's fallen off again since. It seems that a streak of just a handful of players failing to clear or star a level can send it back to obscurity. I noticed similar patterns with the first upload and reupload of my most recent level. Submitting the first version to 10 or so streamers over the course of a few days led to about 50 unique players in a week. Only a few have played the reupload and after 10 days now it has just 13 uniques.

Point being that there seems to be some sort of exponential effect for a level's fate depending on how well it fairs recently, and changing its likelihood of being surfaced probably takes a big shift in clears/stars. Like jholmes said, the SMM reddit community is still pretty active (today's daily level sharing thread over there has 84 replies as of this post). Even if only a handful of redditors play some specific level that's been posted in a given day, that might be enough for the algorithm to decide to surface it to dozens more, and if those people clear/star it, that could lead to it being played by hundreds/thousands more and receiving those massive amounts of stars that even levels created in 2017 are getting. Who knows. And yeah, a nice snapshot and striking pixel art in the overall layout seem to be huge factors in compelling someone to play a level, unfortunately. Uploading two versions of the same level would be an interesting experiment, indeed.

I think you guys are right about reddit, but I rarely find myself over there and don't have an account or anything. Maybe I'll look into it. And chrixter I'm pretty sure you're onto something with how levels are curated in 100 Mario runs. All the levels I have with the most stars are like that because of a nice initial boost from here. I also noticed that I tend to have levels get stars in bursts, or only like 1 star with long periods of nothing.

Btw, I caved and reuploaded my most recent level if anyone is interested in a difficult (borderline Super Expert) wall jumping level. Still not sure I'm 100% happy with it but I'm gonna try to stop obsessing over small details.

I had a way easier time with the level. It felt more balanced but still challenging (mid to high end expert). I get tempted to take down and edit some of my levels, but I worry about loosing any momentum in plays and stars they already have. I think you made the right call though, and I'll genuinely be surprised if it doesn't do very well.

chrixter

Thanks for the feedback! That second blue platform section may be a problem. I think you can bounce off the bumpers to an extent, but that actually isn't the intended method. You're just meant to jump over them and back onto the platform. When you have the higher spike ceiling, you can jump over the bumpers with a full jump and not touch the spikes at all. Even when you're big. When the ceiling lowers, you actually won't touch the spikes at all if you're small. If you're big, as long as you don't take any kind of running jump (just jump straight up first before moving over the bumper) you won't hit those spikes. I found the section stressful but easy. It was actually a little more difficult before, and I made it easier so I thought it wouldn't be too much of a trouble spot. I'll have to check and see how many deaths are there, but I may wait until I get a few more players.
Huh, interesting. Makes sense that bouncing off the bumpers isn't really intended there since only small Mario (or duck-jumping with big Mario) avoids the spikes if you do so. I just replayed that part and yeah the intended way isn't as difficult as I thought, though I would still say it's the most difficult of the level for me. The section after that is pretty stressful, as having to let go of the jump button there really takes me out of my comfort zone but in a good, challenging way. I really like the grinder section and I think the difficulty there feels pretty much perfect.

I think you guys are right about reddit, but I rarely find myself over there and don't have an account or anything. Maybe I'll look into it. And chrixter I'm pretty sure you're onto something with how levels are curated in 100 Mario runs. All the levels I have with the most stars are like that because of a nice initial boost from here. I also noticed that I tend to have levels get stars in bursts, or only like 1 star with long periods of nothing.

I don't post there either but the Level of the Week threads are good showcases for good levels. Each week a bunch of people submit their levels (old ones allowed) that meet the criteria for whatever theme they decided on for that week (castles, autoscrolling, specific mechanics, etc.), then a panel of judges curates a top 10 and everyone else plays them and votes on a winner. Naturally those 10 are all usually good if not great, and if you're among them I assume it's a great way to get a lot of plays and stars.

I had a way easier time with the level. It felt more balanced but still challenging (mid to high end expert). I get tempted to take down and edit some of my levels, but I worry about loosing any momentum in plays and stars they already have. I think you made the right call though, and I'll genuinely be surprised if it doesn't do very well.
Thanks! I appreciate you playing both versions. Also, meant to post this a while ago but Peek-a-Boo Platforms is another one of my favorite levels I've played in this game. The boss rush one is also quite memorable. A lot of imaginative boss fights tend to also be extremely hectic but the ones in that level were quite fair and enjoyable. Really I enjoyed all your stuff, though puzzles aren't really my thing in Mario.

It's a shame this thread has so few posters right now since communities like this are the only way I know of to really find great stuff. 100-man is just a terrible experience. I beat my first Expert run last night and didn't really have fun at all. I want to unlock all the costumes but I feel like I'd have to play through dozens of hours of garbage to do so. I'm not sure how the mode could be fixed in a sequel, but it shouldn't be the only way to unlock things. Like 90% of the levels I've beaten are ones I found on forums and such - maybe reward some currency that can be spent on unlockables.

Inkwell

Banned
It's a shame this thread has so few posters right now since communities like this are the only way I know of to really find great stuff. 100-man is just a terrible experience. I beat my first Expert run last night and didn't really have fun at all. I want to unlock all the costumes but I feel like I'd have to play through dozens of hours of garbage to do so. I'm not sure how the mode could be fixed in a sequel, but it shouldn't be the only way to unlock things. Like 90% of the levels I've beaten are ones I found on forums and such - maybe reward some currency that can be spent on unlockables.

This is a tough one. The point of 100 Mario runs is to have random levels get plays and stars. Especially those from people who aren't part of a community. The costumes are the incentive for people to play these levels. I think that no matter what system they use, people will always have to put up with bad levels for the greater good. That said, I could see currency possibly working, but I look at Mario Run and it worries me a little bit.

Maybe they could add an endless mode where for each level you complete you earn some currency. The levels would be pulled from the entire pool how 100 Mario is done now. You could also earn some currency from playing bookmarked levels, but a much smaller amount. Then have players use the currency to purchase runs in 100 Mario that curates the better levels, but also unlocks costumes or whatever else they would add in a sequel. Not only would this add an endless mode (which I would like to have) and incentivize players to play every level like 100 Mario is now, but it also solves the issue of unlocks for people who only want to play the best levels since you could earn smaller amounts of currency by playing bookmarked levels.

My advice for your 100 Mario Runs is to not put up with bad levels at all. Skip like crazy if you have to. I have some rules I've made for myself. If I see enemy spam, hit a kaizo block, or get soft locked in any way I skip the level. I used to get pretty angry with the bad levels, but I realize now that most of them are from young kids who don't really know what they're doing. If you're lucky you'll have maybe half of the levels be decent to good in Expert. I've unlocked all the costumes outside of the more difficult flyswatter game and the Super Expert 100 Mario ones. I don't find either very fun so I'm not sure if I'll ever have everything unlocked.

Shiggy

In the 3DS version, the difference between the 18 worlds with Nintendo-created levels and the user-created content is really immense. Doesn't help that you cannot really filter anything and that you have a lot of autorunning levels. Seriously, what's the point of those? Are they supposed to be impressive?

jholmes

In the 3DS version, the difference between the 18 worlds with Nintendo-created levels and the user-created content is really immense. Doesn't help that you cannot really filter anything and that you have a lot of autorunning levels. Seriously, what's the point of those? Are they supposed to be impressive?

They're supposed to get stars. As to why they get stars, I don't know, an eight-year-old might though.

What do you mean with "stars"?

The stamp of approval so to speak that you would give a stage you enjoyed is a star, so basically the idea would be a stage with a high number of stars is a recommended stage.
Alas for some reason there are a lot of folks easily impressed by the auto stages and they often amassed stars, in general the star rankings are kinda shit, people don't appreciate good platforming design as much as gimmicks more often than not.

Shiggy

There's a rating system on the Wii U version that doesn't exist in the 3DS version for some reason.

The stamp of approval so to speak that you would give a stage you enjoyed is a star, so basically the idea would be a stage with a high number of stars is a recommended stage.
Alas for some reason there are a lot of folks easily impressed by the auto stages and they often amassed stars, in general the star rankings are kinda shit, people don't appreciate good platforming design as much as gimmicks more often than not.

Oh, that explains how the "popular" stages on the 3DS get chosen.

In the end, I got a neat Mario platformer for less than 20 EUR with just the levels from Nintendo. I don't really feel like creating levels myself as there's nobody who could try them. Even if there was, I don't see much fun in creating levels myself.

oni-link

Super late to the party with this, just played an hour of the Wii U version and err

I can't get over how weird the physics feel with the classic skins

I know it's the New Super Mario Bros physics but they feel so wrong when coupled with the older games art styles

Is there a way to find levels with good platforming sections? So far 99% of the levels I've played have been crap

Really not enjoying this at all so far

TheMoon

Super late to the party with this, just played an hour of the Wii U version and err

I know it's the New Super Mario Bros physics but they feel so wrong when coupled with the older games art styles

Is there a way to find levels with good platforming sections? So far 99% of the levels I've played have been crap

reading this thread.

I like to think you can't do wrong playing most of my levels. I created a whole games worth of Super Mario Bros styled courses. You can check out my Bookmark Page here.

Inkwell

Banned
Yeah thanks, I will, but I meant from within the game

The levels with the most stars are all really bad apparently

It's kind of difficult to find good levels from within the game itself. Besides this thread or somewhere like reddit, I would skim the bookmarks page. Either set it to normal or expert difficulty. You can use the course search tab if you want to narrow things down a little bit. I've found lots of good levels by just doing that.

Stoze

It's kind of difficult to find good levels from within the game itself. Besides this thread or somewhere like reddit, I would skim the bookmarks page. Either set it to normal or expert difficulty. You can use the course search tab if you want to narrow things down a little bit. I've found lots of good levels by just doing that.
I've found you can build a strong list of good levels/creators simply by picking levels from the "You may also enjoy..." slideshow after completing a level from a solid creator or two you follow. That combined with checking out their Starred Courses in their profile works surprisingly well.

Speaking of finding stuff, I played through a campaign of levels that was too good not to share: Super Princess Daisy. 32-level campaign (plus prologue and epilogue), just about every level has an optional 5 coins to collect and a well-hidden Peach and Rosalina costume for extra fun. It has absurdly good level design from start to finish (maybe a couple flubs), with nothing overly flashy or crazy and a very balanced difficulty curve. It's seriously impressive, the only major issue I had is the Daisy jump sounds get really annoying and he uses the sound effect stuff a little too much. I just muted early on and listened to other music.

Inkwell

Banned
a quick level i made this evening..had to cut a part because i run out of space for objects

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/DD96-0000-0346-F07E

also,this one seems to be my most popular one,so I'll share it

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/AE6D-0000-0105-306F

Fun levels! I gave all of your levels a play actually. I think the only trouble spot on your newest one was that I instantly lost my power-up coming back out of that warp pipe due to the flame timing.

Majukun

Fun levels! I gave all of your levels a play actually. I think the only trouble spot on your newest one was that I instantly lost my power-up coming back out of that warp pipe due to the flame timing.

thnks..i'll see if i can fix that without changing too much

HotHamBoy

Alright, guys, this is my first *real* attempt at a concept.

I call it "Kupa Bank Heist."

12EF-0000-035B-1056

I wanted it to be challenging and puzzling but I didn't want it to be stupid, pixel-precision ridiculous.

I know the thread seems dead but if anyone plays it let me know your thoughts!

Yeah thanks, I will, but I meant from within the game

The levels with the most stars are all really bad apparently

There is an absurd amount of auto-play levels.

I mean, I guess that's easier than trying to make something that balances challenge and fun.

12EF-0000-035B-1056

I wanted it to be challenging and puzzling but I didn't want it to be stupid, pixel-precision ridiculous.

There is an absurd amount of auto-play levels.

I mean, I guess that's easier than trying to make something that balances challenge and fun.
A lot of the levels people post here are 99% actual platforming levels, thankfully.
After I finish Mario x rabbids I'm going to start creating again.

Inkwell

Banned

12EF-0000-035B-1056

I enjoyed your level. Without giving too much away, I like how in a few spots you offer the player more than one option on how to proceed. It was clever for a bank heist theme. There are maybe 2 places where I was able to cheat (collecting the star, and the bomb puzzle after the ice), but it felt like it may be intentional. Since you need to have kept a certain power-up it feels rewarding, and it's better for speed-running the level.

I noticed a few minor issues. I'm not sure how much is actually worth changing. You could probably keep the level as is and be fine.

1. The player has at least 2 potential soft-lock possibilities, both with the bombs. First, if you release the bomb by the pirahna plants and go into the pipe before it explodes it disappears. The player can still spin jump on the blocks, but if the player happens to lose all power-ups. they are stuck. The bomb despawning can potentially happen anywhere, but honestly, the level is difficult enough that players are most likely going to be somewhat high skilled and shouldn't have a problem. An easy solution is to have a pipe that spawn mushrooms in the power-up area.

2. The second soft-lock location is the bomb by the goombas. If someone happens to carry a goomba up with them and accidentally throw or drop it on the bomb, you're stuck again. A simple solution is to completely seal the bomb area in blocks, and have the bomb already set to flashing so it explodes after coming out of the block.

3. Bowser shoots fire into the beginning item area. Only way to fix it is completely restructuring the level, or removing/replacing bowser.

4. In the area with the fire cheeps, the cheeps can be just off-screen at the bottom, and when the player jumps to the next set of doughnut blocks, they jump up without warning and hit the player.

5. This last one is super minor. You can attach the boss music to bowser and it will keep playing as long as he's on screen and still alive. I think you have it placed just outside of the pipe.

There may be a few other nitpicks, but I want to say good job overall.

jholmes

My latest (and maybe last), Mode of Conveyance:

I made this for the 3DS game back in December but basically got no plays. I decided to port it over for the SMM second anniversary. It's short, it's fast, and I hope you enjoy it.

Some SMM birthday weekend feedback:

Dude, this is from March? I'm so behind.

I'm a big fan of bumpers so I like this a lot, but the difficulty curve is messed up. The lava part is way harder than the final stretch. Still, if you like challenges and you like bouncing, this is an easy recommend. Par for the course from Inkwell!

So I went back and remade one of my first levels, 'Forest of Frustration', and WOW I couldn't believe how poorly made it was. From the low ceilings to the cheap troll deaths to the enemy spam and stale esthetics, I realized how much I learned/you guys taught me.
I'll throw it here and if you guys could tell me if it is a decent improvement, I'd appreciate it. As always, if you ENJOY it, please star. If not, kill it with fire.

Old level: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/FAAF-0000-030C-EB0E

New level: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/FA95-0000-0314-FBAD

There's still more of those ambush elements and annoying effects than I'd like, but the design is clever and rock-solid beyond those two factors. Definitely worth a play and this is a big step in a very good direction.

Could some people give my new level a shot?

Monty's House:

No one has been able to complete, and I'm not sure if it's because stuff is unclear, or just that not many ppl have tried it.

Monties are unpredictable jerks and this level is tough so I get why it could put some people off. But there is a lot of creativity here and what exists is tautly made. Really enjoyed the back-door path. This needs more plays, GAF!

this one seems to be my most popular one,so I'll share it

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/AE6D-0000-0105-306F

The level is called Plumbing Problems, just for anyone else who wants to play it (and you should). There's some very strong design fundamentals, neat uses of secrets but the way Mario Maker handles things popping out of pipes is hard to judge and hard to control so I don't think levels based around that do too well, generally speaking. Worth a play though, no question.

12EF-0000-035B-1056

Full disclosure, I don't like puzzle levels and... sure enough, I didn't enjoy this much. As Inkwell pointed out there are a few softlock spots and also some parts where you're left to commit suicide. I just spent too long getting anywhere and gave up on it. I do think that he's right in that you did well to nail the setting. I'd be interested in playing something of yours that's maybe a bit more straightforward, as you convey a sense of place well and seem to know how to use a bunch of different tools from the box at any one time.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm getting back into this game...Where is the most active online community located??

E: I just have to say - there are SO many garbage levels out there holy fucking shit.

Mael

Hello Mario Maker GAF,
I finally managed to get some outside help in testing my levels.
It's the biggest hurdle I have to post my levels, I hate posting 3 or 4 times the same level because some issue I could see in a second just watching someone play ain't fixed by the nth feedback.
I've got 2 or 3 levels I've been working on in forever and they're getting close to done.
As usual, I'll try to play GAF levels if there's any I missed and try to post feedback here.
Alternatively, if the community here is dead I'll try to give a link to a more active one if I manage to get one.
If I did nothing here for close to 9 months, I blame the lack of irl feedbacks and Swtich release among other things

Hello Mario Maker GAF,
I finally managed to get some outside help in testing my levels.
It's the biggest hurdle I have to post my levels, I hate posting 3 or 4 times the same level because some issue I could see in a second just watching someone play ain't fixed by the nth feedback.
I've got 2 or 3 levels I've been working on in forever and they're getting close to done.
As usual, I'll try to play GAF levels if there's any I missed and try to post feedback here.
Alternatively, if the community here is dead I'll try to give a link to a more active one if I manage to get one.
If I did nothing here for close to 9 months, I blame the lack of irl feedbacks and Swtich release among other things

Yeah, post your levels, I'll play 'em. I started playing the game again last week off and on, there are still good levels to be found. Was actually thinking about possibly making a new level recently, forgot about the two year anniversary. :/ Really hope Mario Maker gets a follow up of some kind on Switch, after Miiverse is killed in January the online community for the game will suffer even more.

Mael

Yeah, post your levels, I'll play 'em. I started playing the game again last week off and on, there are still good levels to be found. Was actually thinking about possibly making a new level recently, forgot about the two year anniversary. :/ Really hope Mario Maker gets a follow up of some kind on Switch, after Miiverse is killed in January the online community for the game will suffer even more.

I'm super ultra slow refining my levels so I can't promise anything for this week although I'll try.
I still have a level I made that got rejected due to no play, so I'll tweek it a little and resend it.
That I can do today even.
I really REALLY want a new Mario Maker on Switch and they can justify the 2 with more stuffs like music/background and shit. I'm gonna really miss miiverse and the gamepad though.
But yeah don't hesitate to post levels at worst I'll get to play cool levels!

e: and fuck, deleted level can't be reposted. Fuck that shit, I spent the whole evening improving it and I can't share it at all!
Back to the other levels I guess.

TheMoon

With the Wii network closing next year does that mean all the downloaded levels will be lost?

The what? You seem to be getting everything wrong.

"The Wii network," Wii's online service, Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection was closed in 2014.
The Wii Shop Channel,the online store in which you buy download titles/dlc/virtual console games on the Wii, is closing in 2019.
Miiverse, Nintendo's social network for Wii U and 3DS, is closing this year on November 8.
Nintendo Network, Nintendo's online service for Wii U and 3DS which handles general online features including multiplayer, etc is unaffected by any of this.
Nothing is closing/ending next year.

Super Mario Maker level sharing is unaffected by this. You'll lose the ability to comment on levels. That is all. Miiverse is a social network, it doesn't host content.

keep

The what? You seem to be getting everything wrong.

"The Wii network," Wii's online service, Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection was closed in 2014.
The Wii Shop Channel,the online store in which you buy download titles/dlc/virtual console games on the Wii, is closing in 2019.
Miiverse, Nintendo's social network for Wii U and 3DS, is closing this year on November 8.
Nintendo Network, Nintendo's online service for Wii U and 3DS which handles general online features including multiplayer, etc is unaffected by any of this.
Nothing is closing/ending next year.

Super Mario Maker level sharing is unaffected by this. You'll lose the ability to comment on levels. That is all. Miiverse is a social network, it doesn't host content.

Sorry, it was late when I wrote that and didn't make much sense. What I wanted to know is whether we would still be able to play any of the levels you've downloaded after Nintendo stops supporting access to Nintendo Network for the Wii U which will happen eventually. I misread the news about what was closing down.

From your answer I infer that once we've downloaded the levels they're ours to keep forever and ever. Apologies, I've been holding off buying this game because I'm not much of a maker but have always wanted to play other people's levels in my own time.

TheMoon

Sorry, it was late when I wrote that and didn't make much sense. What I wanted to know is whether we would still be able to play any of the levels you've downloaded after Nintendo stops supporting access to Nintendo Network for the Wii U which will happen eventually. I misread the news about what was closing down.

From your answer I infer that once we've downloaded the levels they're ours to keep forever and ever. Apologies, I've been holding off buying this game because I'm not much of a maker but have always wanted to play other people's levels in my own time.

That confuses me even more, what would stop you from playing levels you've already downloaded?!

keep

That confuses me even more, what would stop you from playing levels you've already downloaded?!

I don't know how the downloads in the game work. For all I know they may have been intrinsically linked to the online and stop working once the network is not supported anymore.

Mael

I'm not done with my levels, the community here being pretty dead for Mario Maker, I'll move to waypoint or reddit for my future submissions.

I'm not done with my levels, the community here being pretty dead for Mario Maker, I'll move to waypoint or reddit for my future submissions.
With Miiverse dying soon, too, the overall community for Mario Maker will be pretty dead in general. Might as well just archive the comments on your courses and wait for the Switch version; that's what I'm doing...

NA48

Neo Member
Is there a good spot to find a "best-of" GAF list for all of these levels? It'd be nice to have a compilation to run through someday ...

jholmes

Is there a good spot to find a "best-of" GAF list for all of these levels? It'd be nice to have a compilation to run through someday ...

It's not official and it's not all GAF (mostly is) but this post has a list of levels I think could use more love.

Beyond that, check the levels Inkwell made and the ones he recommended, maybe give my levels a shot. The OP levels aren't bad levels but they're by no means a best-of of the thread.

Top Bottom