• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlatinumGames Community Thread | Platinum maintains its luster forever

Best Platinum boss fight?

Results are only viewable after voting.
I LOVE these guys!

Every game they've put out has been wonderful. Even MadWorld, which didn't click with me at first. Gave it another shot a few weeks ago and now I dig it.

I will buy any console they release games for. I'm not too big on the Xbox One at the moment, but if Platinum releases any exclusives for it, I'm in.

Bayonetta 2....I want it sooooo much....Can't wait 'til it's released.

Lernaean

Banned
Reporting for duty!
Platinum are amongst the best developers in gaming history and i buy their games day one since 2009.
Even their weakest attempts like Madworld and Max Anarchy put your average AAA dev to shame.
Controversial opinion: MGR:R if given some more time and budget could have been their best game, there is all the DNA you need to make a perfect game in this one.

Endo Punk

Exactly how many people work at Platinum? I always thought they were a small studio but the way they handle multiple games is unrivalled.

Reporting for duty!
Platinum are amongst the best developers in gaming history and i buy their games day one since 2009.
Even their weakest attempts like Madworld and Max Anarchy put your average AAA dev to shame.
Controversial opinion: MGR:R if given some more time and budget could have been their best game, there is all the DNA you need to make a perfect game in this one.

That's why MGR2 is my most anticipated game for the current gen despite not being confirmed. Im done with the Solid series though, long live Rising.

Riki

Posting this for when GAF adopts WebM.
http://i.4cdn.org/wsg/src/1396794276453.webm

Exactly how many people work at Platinum? I always thought they were a small studio but the way they handle multiple games is unrivalled.

That's why MGR2 is my most anticipated game for the current gen despite not being confirmed. Im done with the Solid series though, long live Rising.
platinum_games_group_0.jpg

Platinum and Treasure are my favorite Japanese devs. Look forward to anything they make. Got a Wii U for W101 and incoming Bayo 2. W101 was already worth the investment. I would love to get another Sin & Punishment installment as well.

You have to go through a pipe hidden below the big platform you land on. Try to jump out of the platform until you find it, I don't remember where it was exactly.

I found it. There actually is a visual hint of how to get there(all of the lights near the edges of the platform are green, but the one you can jump past is red); the game just never tells you what it is or why it's important.
Exactly. I mean I'm happy that we got a sequel, but Bayo 1 was complete. I mean 100% complete. There is nothing in that game that I want to change. That is why new Bayo 2 mechanics like Umbran Climax seem so unnecessary, at least to me. We had something like UC in the first game, the Climax Brace accessory. I don't blame Platinum though. The first game was as complete as it could get. If we're going to see a Bayo 3, I want it to take the combat system to the next level.
Climax Brace was a cheat item with no imposed limits. Saying Umbran Climax and it are the same is like saying Devil Trigger is the same as Super Dante.
I think it was perfect. Seriously, I can't see how and where (at least in terms of combat and gameplay) Bayo 1 was flawed.

PokéKong;107007071 said:
All the things I'm excited about in Bayonetta 2 have nothing to do with new features they can slap in a bullet list, it's all about the fact that it's a new Bayonetta being made in this post-Revengeance age, and knowing it will more than likely contain so many of the little details that game superb. Namely an improved up lock-on system, I recall Kamiya himself does not recommend using the target lock button at all in his playthrough video series, and instead just suggests using the guns to center the camera onto enemies. And if that Lumen Sage battle is any indication, I hope we get more human-sized duel boss fights this time around.
They already seem to be addressing things like the button layout(in Bayonetta 2 lock-on and dodge are no longer right next to each other), the limited leg weapons, the saminess of many weapons in general, and the importance of the magic meter. I'd also assume they actually know how to handle QTEs and setpieces intuitively(compare Bayonetta to MGR and TW101 in those regards).
She has the long hair the entire time.

Im assuming just like in Bayo 1, its something that happens during boss fights.

The long hair is from using Umbran Climax, actually. It's still short in the beginning of that clip:

iFv9i69f9kwjE.gif

Plus, Bayonetta never used Serious Mode against humans in the first place. Though, thinking about it, this could mean they're removing Serious Mode from all boss battles so that the player has to rely on Umbran Climax.

Keasar

PlatinumGames is on my shared top spot for best developer, next to CD Project Red. Everything they have made so far have been so good, Vanquish was a superb third person shooter, Anarchy Reigns was awesome in multiplayer and Bayonetta is the top game of all time for me.

So hyped for Bayonetta 2, was the single reason I needed to plan a purchase of a Wii U, hopefully they release a special edition of it in blue and with yellow/gold details at the release. Will also get W101 with that.

BBboy20

That and it will be the game that will make me get a PS4 if Lily Bergamo doesn't get announced here first.

Ushiwaka

More than 170 people. (According to Google translation of this blog.) They recently hired 20 people:

http://www.platinumgames.co.jp/official_blog/?p=5738

Good to see they are in good condition and hiring people with all these laying offs going around.
I still cant believe they handled MGR, TW101 and almost AR at the same time.

Posting this for when GAF adopts WebM.
http://i.4cdn.org/wsg/src/1396794276453.webm

Oh my... Dat 60FPS... This new format is perfect for Platinum games.

Climax Brace was a cheat item with no imposed limits. Saying Umbran Climax and it are the same is like saying Devil Trigger is the same as Super Dante.
I didn't say they are the exact same thing.

They already seem to be addressing things like the button layout(in Bayonetta 2 lock-on and dodge are no longer right next to each other), the limited leg weapons, the saminess of many weapons in general, and the importance of the magic meter. I'd also assume they actually know how to handle QTEs and setpieces intuitively(compare Bayonetta to MGR and TW101 in those regards).

I didn't know that! Interesting.
Yes these are all improvements and it's really awesome that they are there. It would be awesome if Bayo 2 had MGR level of hype-filled QTEs.

====

P.S: I wanted to make a cool banner for the first post, but my Photoshop skills are not that good. Help me guys :( Is anyone here willing to make it? Oh, and if there's anything that you think should be added to the first post (any kind of information, video, etc) name it and I will add it. Thanks! :)

I was under the impression GAF was already the most supportive PG community on the web, this seems kinda meta, but hey count me in

Is Infinite Space worth playing?

Sayter

JP Fan: Sayter, reporting in. JP is the last of the great Japanese developers IMO. I have so much appreciation for their products. I'm looking forward to Bayo 2. ^.^

TreIII

I will buy any console they release games for. I'm not too big on the Xbox One at the moment, but if Platinum releases any exclusives for it, I'm in.

Exactly how I feel. There's a few select things that would get me to budge on my stance of not buying a X1. A P* exclusive is one of those things...provided it's not MP/Online-only.

HYDE

Banned
I don't even remember how long I've had Bayonetta 2 on pre-order.

Same here. I had my Last Guardian preorder canceled and wondered when Bayonetta II was going the same route...then Nintendo saved it!

I also anticipate Metal Gear Raiden: Rising 2 with a wall run and retro missions featuring cyborg ninja Grey Fox.

Sayter

Platinum Games are niche and don't sell well.

If you can't shoot it in first person, play it as a pimp/mob boss/rape sim, or a sports game with only an updated roster, but sold at full price as an entirely new game, then it's a niche title that doesn't sell well.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
God bless this company.

We need more platinum games on PC for sure. :(
Yeah, although I hope they implement proper resolution support next time. I could get 60 fps on my laptop if I wasn't limited to what they put in the options and if the the last update didn't break the custom resolution tool.

I love playing Rising when I'm on my main PC at home though. <3 I usually do a boss our two everyday.

I've never played it but I've read on GAF that it can get very luck-based and it makes later parts of the game rather frustrating. It's also very pricey for a new NA copy these days so you pretty much have to buy used (European copies are cheaper IIRC).

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I was under the impression GAF was already the most supportive PG community on the web, this seems kinda meta, but hey count me in

I never finished it despite dumping almost 30 hours into it, the game is FUCKING HUGE. I'd almost say play it with a guide because there is a lot of flying around talking to guys until the next story event triggers.

The game is pretty fun, and the customization can be really deep.

But seriously that game is fucking huge.

Nemmy

Subbed the thread the moment I saw it. In this dark age of dudebro shooters and shallow QTE fests with no replay value, in Platinum I trust. Unparalleled quality all around.

In a perfect world, they'd be a Japanese Blizzard, as far as budgets and freedom go.

I've never played it but I've read on GAF that it can get very luck-based and it makes later parts of the game rather frustrating. It's also very pricey for a new NA copy these days so you pretty much have to buy used (European copies are cheaper IIRC).

Welp, thankfully, this is apparently an option, too.

I never finished it despite dumping almost 30 hours into it, the game is FUCKING HUGE. I'd almost say play it with a guide because there is a lot of flying around talking to guys until the next story event triggers.

The game is pretty fun, and the customization can be really deep.

But seriously that game is fucking huge.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Ushiwaka

If only this dog made it into Vanquish...

18j39935yybe6jpg.jpg

The ultimate Casshrn (and Shinobi!) reference. We got a dog (wolf actually :p) in Rising, but this one was so tied into the gameplay. Such a shame it never made it to the game :(

Ushiwaka

OP you might want to add Mari Shimazaki on your useful addresses, she is the lead artist and designer of Bayonetta, game and anime. A very important P* figure for me.

Sorry the last time I posted I was on mobile and somehow didn't notice your post >.< Added her twitter to the first post, but noted that she's not a staff.

Mr. Virus

You will need a notebook and a lot of time. My only real issue with it is the lack of note keeping even for major objectives, which means big gaps in between playing it can mess things up for you.

Otherwise, go for it! Massive game, pretty deep, some replayability due to a few things.

Played through MGR on PC in January, bought a Wii U a month or so ago, got W101 last week (I'm yet to try it as I have other games to play through first) and got this today:

Now I'm just waiting for Bayonetta 2!

I've seen these popping up on Amazon. I'm gonna have to get one.

MadWorld is seriously underrated, game is awesome...

I loved the boss fights in it, especially the last boss. It also has an incredible soundtrack (as does Anarchy Reigns). JP picked all of the artists for it himself IIRC.

<3 you JP

I've seen these popping up on Amazon. I'm gonna have to get one.

Definitely get one if you can. The artbook is nice (lots of nice trivia mixed in) and the DVD it comes with is fantastic. I loved hearing about the various development stories like how they found the mocap actor for Bayonetta.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Got Infinite Space in the mail today! :D going to play it for the first time, probably starting tonight.

Hyped!

You should play it too, Fine Hams, so I've someone to discuss it with along the way

You will need a notebook and a lot of time. My only real issue with it is the lack of note keeping even for major objectives, which means big gaps in between playing it can mess things up for you.

Otherwise, go for it! Massive game, pretty deep, some replayability due to a few things.

This sounds promising to me.

Got Infinite Space in the mail today! :D going to play it for the first time, probably starting tonight.

Hyped!

You should play it too, Fine Hams, so I've someone to discuss it with along the way

I really should, but I'm done with my fun budget for this month and I just managed to get Deception IV in from Gamefly :p It's in the queue though.

Ushiwaka

So Platinum recently has been doing some kind of short interviews with Platinum employees about their job and how it affects their life. They are good reads, specially for people who want to be a developer and it gives us little perspective on how working in Platinum feels like :)

A day in the life of a concept artist
http://platinumgames.com/2014/02/24/a-day-in-the-life-of-a-concept-artist/

A day in the life of a environment artist
http://platinumgames.com/2014/04/02/a-day-in-the-life-of-an-environment-artist/

===

Oh, and also I added a media section in the first post for Platinum related videos. There are only Rising documentary, Bayonetta developer diary (thanks to CrackPebbles for posting these two) and the Platinum concept movie in there for now, but if there's anything you guys feel should be in that section, please let me know. Thanks.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Neato stuffs Ushikawa. o: I'll take a look later!

On a side note since the Rising thread isn't helping. Anyone have the res-hackable exe for Rising on hand? I want to be able to 60 FPS this on my laptop and lowing to 640x480 would get me there.

Lernaean

Banned
So Platinum recently has been doing some kind of short interviews with Platinum employees about their job and how it affects their life. They are good reads, specially for people who want to be a developer and it gives us little perspective on how working in Platinum feels like :)

A day in the life of a concept artist
http://platinumgames.com/2014/02/24/a-day-in-the-life-of-a-concept-artist/

Omg! Concept artist in that interview is Cho. Guy did an excellent job for MGR:R, arguably one of the best concept artists nowadays.

Also Ushiwaka, check your media section for 2 typos, one is MGR:R documentary where you typed 'part 1' twice and the other is 'moive'.
Just saying cause you are doing an awesome job with this thread so i'd like to see it always perfect >.<

Ushiwaka

Neato stuffs Ushikawa. o: I'll take a look later!
:)

Also Ushiwaka, check your media section for 2 typos, one is MGR:R documentary where you typed 'part 1' twice and the other is 'moive'.
Just saying cause you are doing an awesome job with this thread so i'd like to see it always perfect >.<

Oh wow. I normally check what I write for typos, I don't know how did I missed those. I'll fix them right away. :)
Thanks! :)

Lernaean

Banned
Oh wow. I normally check what I write for typos, I don't know how did I missed those. I'll fix them right away. :)
Thanks! :)

You're welcome.
Do you, or anyone else know if/where i can get clean downloadable files for the MGR:R documentary? I'm watching it right now and i'm smiling like an idiot.

Ushiwaka

Ooh! Don't forget PlatinumGames have a iTunes page, though they haven't updated for a bit.
Added to the first post :)

You're welcome.
Do you, or anyone else know if/where i can get clean downloadable files for the MGR:R documentary? I'm watching it right now and i'm smiling like an idiot.

Since I doubt they are any download links available, you could use YouTube download sites. I'll PM you the link cause I don't know if they are allowed here or not.

Love pretty much every game in this thread. I've never tried Anarchy Reigns though.

Would it be foolish to get it now? I hear the online is pretty dead. What's the deal with single player mode?

Love pretty much every game in this thread. I've never tried Anarchy Reigns though.

Would it be foolish to get it now? I hear the online is pretty dead. What's the deal with single player mode?

Anarchy Reigns was really fun online, but it's probably dead at this point (360 version has been dead, dunno about PS3). Luckily you CAN play with bots, but it's only a limited amount. So you can't do a 16-player battle royale populated by bots unfortunately.

The single player was just a pretty standard 3D beat 'em-up. You progress through different maps which have various missions and stuff located on them. The story was pretty good but I didn't really care for the gameplay in the single-player as a whole. I think it's the weakest out of all of their games in that regard.

The game truly shines in multiplayer though. Deathball, Battle Royale, and Team Battle were all great experiences. But without other players it's hard to really recommend.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Platinum <3

Love their games; Bayonetta 2 might be the game that finally makes me break down and buy a Wii U.

This thread also reminds me that I need to finish Vanquish already!

Nemmy

This awesome blog was posted on Gamasutra a month ago and I didn't see it being discussed anywhere on GAF. It's a shame cause this is a really fantastic article.

Dissecting the Core Mechanics of Vanquish

You guys should definitely read it.

This was a great read, thanks! Made me really want to play Vanquish again, I still didn't beat those bloody challenges.
Also, the article links probably the best Vanquish vid on youtube. I love watching amazing players rock the game like that.

Ushiwaka

This was a great read, thanks! Made me really want to play Vanquish again, I still didn't beat those bloody challenges.
Also, the article links probably the best Vanquish vid on youtube. I love watching amazing players rock the game like that.

I've never even tried Vanquish's challenges. I gave the game to a friend after I finished it, he never gave it back and I regret it to this day. Both for not making him buy another copy himself and not trying the challenges, specially that infamous challenge 6.

That video is goddamn badass btw.

I hope we see another shooter from Platinum. A sequel to Vanquish or a spiritual successor to it, I dunno.

Lernaean

Banned
I searched around and found a downloadable version for the Metal Gear Rising Commentary.

Link is here, checked and i don't think the site is banned. Enjoy!

Nemmy

I've never even tried Vanquish's challenges. I gave the game to a friend after I finished it, he never gave it back and I regret it to this day. Both for not making him buy another copy himself and not trying the challenges, specially that infamous challenge 6.

That video is goddamn badass btw.

I hope we see another shooter from Platinum. A sequel to Vanquish or a spiritual successor to it, I dunno.

I somehow beat one challenge by running/rolling/boosting around and hiding behind cover like a little girl, but said strategy was not good enough for the others (I wonder why?), and I was eventually scared off. I still keep my copy and treat it like treasure though, it sucks your friend never returned yours :(

Yeah, I'd like them to do another shooter too, even without Mikami and his team. I generally think Platinum shouldn't stick to character action only, it's a niche genre after all, and they have a far greater potential.

Top Bottom