• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gamers Assemble, Let's Demand PC Ports From Sega!

Underestimating how many PC gamers are console gamers as well or came from console gaming is a bad idea.

Indeed, especially with PC gaming being easier than ever to get into (less messing with configs, steam with its autoupdating and outrageous sales, automatically downloading drivers etc.) I was a console gamer since I was 5 but switched over back in 2011 and never looked back.

TaroYamada

The petition is live.

Within the next 24-48 hours I'll have this up on SEGANerds, SEGABits and SEGAShiro. That's a grassroots type of thing and it's pretty much where my connections begin and end with the press. If you run your own sites and you support this petition, or if you know press who might be interested in this petition give it a forward, spread the word if you don't mind.

Outside of that, please tweet, revive the #SEGAPCPorts hashtag and get this out to your followers.

Grief we need an OP edit.

Thanks everybody for your help and your patience, I hope we can work together to make this happen.

edit: before anybody asks about time, I targeted 10 AM GMT, I was a bit late but this is overall a good time to start imo.

2nd edit: signature goal isn't final, unsure if I'll raise or lower and will be discussing the matter with a few people, grief included.

I agree, let people pick two games and focus on the top three in the petition and list the others as potential future endeavors. It makes sense to focus on games that have some data behind them to show interest rather than the assumption of "these games have the most potential" because of what is determined during a relatively closed discussion.

Don't use the petition to try to influence Sega, just use it to determine where the focus should be.

I think this might be a great way of showing SEGA there is demand, as well as showing us which games will sell best in the first stage, which will make later batches of ported games more likely.

Edit: I post and the petition is already live lol.

Really want to support... but Vanquish is such a bad game...

What? It's one of the best third person shooters of all time.

I'm actually incline to agree with him.
Linear games, short games, games that focus on presentation more than on player agency are all things that historically don't draw too much attention from PC gamers.
And no, it's not because they don't know what they are missing, it's that in most cases they actually don't care too much.

Bayonetta is all about player agency. It has ridiculous gameplay depth and I'm sure lots of people woud like to play it on PC. I certainly would.

Lime

Valkyria Chronicles has its own paragraph, but I wish that it was moved up right after the paragraph about Vanquish.

It's hidden away in a box of text, while Vanquish, Bayonetta, and Virtua Fighter 5 have their own numbered entry. And then read the text below:

We're requesting that you port these initial three so that we can demonstrate that the PC market will support this type of content, allowing you to then make a better determination as to which games will best suit your PC audience going forward

And Resonance of Fate isn't even mentioned.

I appreciate the effort by TaroYamada, but I don't see the need to sign this petition when the mentioned games throughout this thread have been excluded.

ArjanN

Signed.

It's hidden away in a box of text, while Vanquish, Bayonetta, and Virtua Fighter 5 have their own numbered entry. And then read the text below:

I appreciate the effort by TaroYamada, but I don't see the need to sign this petition when the mentioned games throughout this thread have been excluded.

I think he explained why fairly well. Not to mention the general theme of the petition is still to get more PC versions from Sega in general.
Sign it anyway please. :)

fresquito

Are you being dense on purpose? Dude, it's a three game petition based on what games have higher chances to get ported. You need to tie it down to two, three, to make some sense. Just because the game you want now is not included, doesn't mean there' no need to support this. If these games get ported and they are midly succesful, it will be a gateway for more to come. It's not that hard to understand.

Nillansan

It's hidden away in a box of text, while Vanquish, Bayonetta, and Virtua Fighter 5 have their own numbered entry.

I am not in disagreement with you, I wish that it was mentioned in a more prominent way. Vanquish and Bayonetta are probably the most frequently mentioned games throughout this thread and they have thankfully been included in the petition, so if you even have the slightest interest in those, I think it is worth signing the petition.

While I appreciate TaroYamada's effort, I would have liked to see Grief's take on this petition.

TaroYamada

I am not in disagreement with you, I wish that it was mentioned in a more prominent way. Vanquish and Bayonetta are probably the most frequently mentioned games throughout this thread and they have thankfully been included in the petition, so if you even have the slightest interest in those, I think it is worth signing the petition.

While I appreciate TaroYamada's effort, I would have liked to see Grief's take on this petition.

I asked for his consent, though I'm not sure you were there for that aspect of this. Anyways, he's still a component of this. As for your disappointment, I apologize I delivered on the paragraph promised at the very least even if it's not the position you exactly wanted.

It's extremely difficult to balance the multiple interests involved in this, it's not easy and I attempted to make sacrifices and be reasonable at every turn. If you want proof of that, I was opposed to two platinumgames in the petition and you can find that post in this very thread, I compromised there. I also compromised on valkyria chronicles as well I feel, though I wasn't directly opposed to granting it its own paragraph. At the end of the day I attempted to appease as many people as I possibly could but that's also, within reason, an impossible task.

Anyways, thanks everybody it seems to be going well so far, I imagine we'll pick up more sigs as my fellow Americans began waking up. Sorry if you aren't pleased with the end product, I did what I felt was the best I could do.

I think the requested titles are reasonable, I mean sure I want it all why not, but in terms of things I see being the best early picks to start a concentrated effort with, Bayo, Vanq and VF5 are good. Especially if VF can get out of the console downloadable ghetto as well as giving PC one of the best games in a genre it's much starved of.

dani_dc

The petition is live.

Within the next 24-48 hours I'll have this up on SEGANerds, SEGABits and SEGAShiro. NeoGAF member Nfreak has also told me he'll give this promotion on his YouTube channel. That's a grassroots type of thing and it's pretty much where my connections begin and end with the press. If you run your own sites and you support this petition, or if you know press who might be interested in this petition give it a forward, spread the word if you don't mind.

Outside of that, please tweet, revive the #SEGAPCPorts hashtag and get this out to your followers.

Grief we need an OP edit.

Thanks everybody for your help and your patience, I hope we can work together to make this happen.

edit: before anybody asks about time, I targeted 10 AM GMT, I was a bit late but this is overall a good time to start imo.

2nd edit: signature goal isn't final, unsure if I'll raise or lower and will be discussing the matter with a few people, grief included.

Thanks for the link, signed it and will share it with a few friends.

Perhaps a new thread would be better to bring more attention to the petition?

ArjanN

I asked for his consent, though I'm not sure you were there for that aspect of this. Anyways, he's still a component of this. As for your disappointment, I apologize I delivered on the paragraph promised at the very least even if it's not the position you exactly wanted.

It's extremely difficult to balance the multiple interests involved in this, it's not easy and I attempted to make sacrifices and be reasonable at every turn. If you want proof of that, I was opposed to two platinumgames in the petition and you can find that post in this very thread, I compromised there. I also compromised on valkyria chronicles as well I feel, though I wasn't directly opposed to granting it its own paragraph. At the end of the day I attempted to appease as many people as I possibly could but that's also, within reason, an impossible task.

Anyways, thanks everybody it seems to be going well so far, I imagine we'll pick up more sigs as my fellow Americans began waking up. Sorry if you aren't pleased with the end product, I did what I felt was the best I could do.

Don't worry, you did a good job, I learned from the whole Sonic Transformed DLC vote thing that you can't get Sega fans to agree on anything anyway. :p

TaroYamada

Thanks for the link, signed it and will share it with a few friends.

Perhaps a new thread would be better to bring more attention?

If one of the mods wants to they can split it, I'm not entirely certain they'd like it if we broke off our egregious port beg. Even though it's sort of passively allowed.

Don't worry, you did a good job, I learned from the whole Sonic Transformed DLC vote thing that you can't get Sega fan to agree on anything anyway. :p

No you really can't, I know that better than most. Thanks for your support ArjanN.

Nillansan

My post came across a bit harsh, that was not my intention, my apologies. Thank you for listening to our feedback and tailoring the petition accordingly. You have my full support. I have shared this on Facebook and in the Steam Activity Feed.

dsk1210

That's it signed from me.

Would it not be better to start a new thread to announce the restart of the petition? I almost never looked in here today.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

Would it not be better to start a new thread to announce the restart of the petition? I almost never looked in here today.
I also think a new thread for the petition is a good idea.

Slightly off topic here, but I really want to play Bayonetta now after having played Rising. Should I just borrow a friend's 360 for it or wait for a definitive PC edition? It has a stable 60fps right?

TaroYamada

I also think a new thread for the petition is a good idea.

Very well, I'll start putting together a new one. I'll come back here and check before posting just in case a mod splits us.

Edit; requested Opiate make a determination on a split/new thread.

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities
Bayonetta - There is a dearth of character action games available right now and Rising, a Platinum game in a similar vein to Bayonetta, was the top seller for 48 hours during the Steam sale on its debut.

Rising did well (we speculate) but it is part of a popular franchise and it was released close to the highly rated console version. There is no guarantee Bayonetta will do well since it's a far more "capricious" game thematically and it has been out for years.

Vanquish - 120 FPS, do I need say more?

You need to say that 120fps is pointless. The game is already perfect on consoles and it will lose much of its gameplay appeal if played with keyboard and mouse. I don't see it doing any better than Binary Domain which I suspect slipped under the radar of many PC gamers.

Valkyria Chronicles - Strategy RPGs are the platform's bread and butter

Actually it's not really a strategy rpg. It's a turn based rpg with tactical gameplay, heavy on story and dialogue.

Resonance of Fate - The FFVII and FFVIII releases on Steam have sold quite well despite not being the best of ports and so late. The battle system for this game seems well-suited for higher frame rates.

That's not making sense at all.
All things considered I don't see why Sega should waste resources porting these games (that are very doubtful to succeed) when it could be localizing Yakuza 5 and being loyal to the fans that have actually supported them.

TaroYamada

Bayonetta - There is a dearth of character action games available right now and Rising, a Platinum game in a similar vein to Bayonetta, was the top seller for 48 hours during the Steam sale on its debut.

Rising did well (we speculate) but it is part of a popular franchise and it was released close to the highly rated console version. There is no guarantee Bayonetta will do well since it's a far more "capricious" game thematically and it has been out for years.

Vanquish - 120 FPS, do I need say more?

You need to say that 120fps is pointless. The game is already perfect on consoles and it will lose much of its gameplay appeal if played with keyboard and mouse. I don't see it doing any better than Binary Domain which I suspect slipped under the radar of many PC gamers.

Valkyria Chronicles - Strategy RPGs are the platform's bread and butter

Actually it's not really a strategy rpg. It's a turn based rpg with tactical gameplay, heavy on story and dialogue.

Resonance of Fate - The FFVII and FFVIII releases on Steam have sold quite well despite not being the best of ports and so late. The battle system for this game seems well-suited for higher frame rates.

That's not making sense at all.
All things considered I don't see why Sega should waste resources porting these games (that are very doubtful to succeed) when it could be localizing Yakuza 5 and being loyal to the fans that have actually supported them.

1. take it to the new thread, 2. the fans actually supporting them are on PC.

Draikin 2

I'm disappointed by how this turned out. At what point was Valkyria Chronicles replaced by Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown? It makes zero sense after the support VC got for the initial start of the campaign on Twitter. Though I guess I shouldn't be surprised seeing who ended up actually making the petition.

mkenyon

Banned
I'm disappointed by how this turned out. At what point was Valkyria Chronicles replaced by Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown? It makes zero sense after the support VC got for the initial start of the campaign on Twitter. Though I guess I shouldn't be surprised seeing who ended up actually making the petition.
Yeah.
Nah, I think a big part of it actually is that they don't know what they're missing. Same as how there's probably a ton of console gamers who would love, say for example, RTS games if they had gotten more exposure to them.
Nope.

It's not an issue of genre and finding gameplay fun, it's just as much about having your idea of what a game is and what you enjoy shaped by what you've played your whole life. It's very subjective, but on my list of games that I've tried and stopped playing after 30 mins to an hour: Uncharted 1/2, God of War, Mass Effect 2, Bayonetta, every Mario, Metroid Prime, The Last of Us, Gears of War, and the list goes on for a number of games that are similar.

They're really antithetical to what I (and almost all the PC gamers I know) enjoy about games. Very little agency, forced narrative, scripted sequences, and cutscenes.

When I think about these types of big titles that resonate extremely well with the PC crowd, the list ends up looking like: Dota 2, Tribes, Q3A, Crysis, Civilization, Mount and Blade, The Witcher, Far Cry 2, Europa Universalis, Elder Scrolls, Day Z, and Baldur's Gate.

Given the reaction to a new title like Kingdom Come, I'd say that I'm fairly accurate in gauging the pulse of at least core PC Gamers.

I'm not saying that any of these typical console AAA experiences are bad games, I'm just saying these are the types of games that a lot of people really don't enjoy.

I'm also not saying that games like Bayonetta wouldn't be successful on PC. I'm saying that it certainly won't be a hit and something that really sticks around and resonates with the PC crowd. Dark Souls most definitely is that type of game. I think VC could be that type of game too.

ArjanN

Nope.

It's not an issue of genre and finding gameplay fun, it's just as much about having your idea of what a game is and what you enjoy shaped by what you've played your whole life.

I don't think that actually contradicts what I said.

My point was that there are tons of PC gamers that would love, say, Bayonetta if they tried it, but don't know about it, or dismiss it offhand because they have no familiarity with the genre. Similar to how lots of console only gamers never grew up with RTS, P&C adventure games etc, and don't know that they'd actually like them a lot if they got into them.

Also, the games mentioned in the petition are not typical AAA games at all.

Hellraider

Dunno if this has been mentioned, but is there a reason condemned 2 isn't on PC?I mean, aside from the reasons bayo,vanquish etc isn't on them. Are there any legal problems with monolith or WB preventing this from happening or something?

Being a first person shooter, horror and with its sequel already on PC this should also be on the list. Well, except from the fact that it's not made in japan.

Dunno if this has been mentioned, but is there a reason condemned 2 isn't on PC?I mean, aside from the reasons bayo,vanquish etc isn't on them. Are there any legal problems with monolith or WB preventing this from happening or something?

Being a first person shooter, horror and with its sequel already on PC this should also be on the list. Well, except from the fact that it's not made in japan.

Dunno but WB owns the IP.

BONKERS

I'm just saying these are the types of games that a lot of people really don't enjoy.
/QUOTE]

And those types of games that you say people enjoy, there are just as many who don't enjoy boring open ended games with no direction, no cohesive pace to the story, so much freedom that it feels pointless and inane and almost like work *Ex: TES* etc.

Not saying they are bad, but it goes both ways.

Shadoken

Necro bump.... Vanquish PC possible?

http://kotaku.com/whats-next-after-10-years-of-platinum-games-1784805907

INABA: Perhaps. But to be honest, we’re good friends with Valve and often go to their studio. We go there, hang out, talk about many different things, and we are very interested in Steam and would definitely like to release games on Windows. Right now, we’re at a place in which publishers ask us to make titles. So, if the publisher doesn’t want to release a PC version, then there won’t be a PC version. It really comes down to that.

AARON: Is there any possibility that Vanquish will get a PC version?

KOTAKU: It would be a good idea to release Vanquish on PC.

INABA: (smiling) Hrm. I wonder... If you stop recording, I can talk about that. (laughs)

Top Bottom