• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gamers Assemble, Let's Demand PC Ports From Sega!

Grief.exe

Do you realize how often this idea would have made it onto business execs desks then?

Declining it doesn't speak well for them.

It comes down to the fact that we can't trust Japanese publishers to make rational decisions on their own at this point. Lets push them in the right direction by showing them demand is there.

I will say a lot of them are coming around though.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Vanquish would be a really good fit for PC. The game is perfect for KB/M controls and higher framerates.

I'd also like to see some arcade racers get ported as well. Outrun, SCUD racer and Daytona would all be great choices.

Declining it doesn't speak well for them.

It comes down to the fact that we can't trust Japanese publishers to make rational decisions on their own at this point. Lets push them in the right direction by showing them demand is there.

I will say a lot of them are coming around though.
The west to the rescue!

Momentary

Banned
Interesting that they switched from embedded linux for FS, that makes this even easier.

Add VF5 in, it makes more sense than Valkyria Chronicles, which is a harder port and a higher risk. We have proof of fighter success on PC, there's an easier argument made for VF5.

VF5... I just want to play as Jean Kujo. His P2 outfit is an awesome design and his fighting style is damn cool. I'm starting to hype myself over something that's not going to happen anytime soon even if it does come to fruition.

Do you realize how often this idea would have made it onto business execs desks then?
Less than you would think, probably. Japanese business culture is notoriously non-confrontational and anti-initiative. If the top guys or even your immediate supervisor tell you to do something, you're supposed to do it exactly the way they tell you to. If you try to suggest other ways of doing things, you get told to shut up and not rock the boat.

aeolist

Banned
i don't understand why there's any kind of pushback against even asking for this. it's not like porting a few games would hurt sega at all or keep them from developing other games since they'd just be outsourcing it anyway.

scitek

Vanquish would be a really good fit for PC. The game is perfect for KB/M controls and higher framerates.

I'd also like to see some arcade racers get ported as well. Outrun, SCUD racer and Daytona would all be great choices.

Why the fuck did that Daytona USA remake not come to PC, anyway?

I would gladly see SEGA go bankrupt if it meant PC ports of my two favourite games of last gen (bayo and vanquish), it's just that demands for PC ports of these games is such well trodden ground that assuming they never entertained the idea of their own accord, much less read any discussion of these games since their release, is more than a little patronizing. There's more to putting together ports of years old games from independent developers than finding a porting studio *vanishes in a cloud of cherry blossom petals*

catabarez

I think focusing on Bayonetta and Vanquish would produce better results because they are both Platinum games. Starting smaller may be better in this case.

Hypron

Yeah. It'd be great to be able to play the game without having to let go of the camera every 2 seconds to press a button to roll. The increased accuracy would also be a plus. But the bigger thing would really be to play it at 60+ fps. The game would look absolutely insane.

TaroYamada

I think focusing on Bayonetta and Vanquish would produce better results because they are both Platinum games. Starting smaller may be better in this case.

I think VF5 is "starting smaller", as pointed out by tain & myself, the arcade version of FS runs on an embedded windows, x86 based arcade machine. Furthermore, there's other difficulties with platinum given they are an external studio with what we assume to be other projects, and their stated desire to handle future ports of their games themselves after the PS3 Bayonetta fiasco.

Obviously SEGA probably has the rights to assign a PC port of a PG title to another studio but with VF5:FS being an entirely internal project that already runs on a variant of Windows, we're looking at an easier project with a monopoly (no 3D fighters) and success on the platform by its sister genre (2D fighters) that we can use as an argument for the port.

Not to say the petition shouldn't include Bayonetta/Vanquish, it should but it's asinine to suggest Bayo/Vanquish are an easier argument than VF5, for a port, in my opinion.

GooeyHeat

Man, I can't believe all you guys who are asking for ports of Platinum's games and not mentioning Anarchy Reigns. It would give the game a new community! PC versions can be so helpful to online games that would otherwise fade away.

ArjanN

Man, I can't believe all you guys who are asking for ports of Platinum's games and not mentioning Anarchy Reigns. It would give the game a new community! PC versions can be so helpful to online games that would otherwise fade away.

Probably because Bayonetta and Vanquish are better games and would also sell better. :p

I mean, I'd buy it, but if we're narrowing it down to a couple of games it probably doesn't make the cut.

Also, despite that, I think the point of this whole thing was also to get the message across we basically want everything ported by default.

RedSwirl

The franchise tanked because it was moved to the PSP. The first game did well all things considered. Despite a terrible launch, it continued to sell because of word-of-mouth marketing. When Gamestop had a discount six months later, it sold almost as much as it did at launch. While we don't have accurate numbers, it likely outsold the PS3 version of Bayonetta and Vanquish almost certainly sold worse. And on top of that, VC has no PSN version (unlike Bayonetta) so that's potential sales lost there as well.

But is that how SEGA sees it? Companies like this are known to throw the baby out with the bathwater when it comes to franchise failures.

Sentenza

Yeah I had no clue about this. Never would've guessed.
I often mention it as a genuine example of how NOT to release and market a game on PC.
Published without any promotion, without even alerting the press about it (not a single news about it was published even by most PC-centric sites or blogs), with GFWL tied in, without a Steam release (or any major digital store, really), etc.

It's almost as if they didn't want to sell it and so deliberately worked to achieve failure.

Also, despite that, I think the point of this whole thing was also to get the message across we basically want everything ported by default.
Yep, at least that's me. Which is also why I'm completely disinterested in the idea of starting a petition for a single specific game.
I mean, do your thing and I will sign it, sure. But that's it, it's not an initiative I care about.

There isn't a single Sega game I really want that badly to beg for it. There are, on the other hand, *several* Sega games that I would buy if they happen to be on PC.

Grief.exe

Yeah. It'd be great to be able to play the game without having to let go of the camera every 2 seconds to press a button to roll. The increased accuracy would also be a plus. But the bigger thing would really be to play it at 60+ fps. The game would look absolutely insane.

If any games are made for 120FPS, its Platinum games.

I really want it all.

Of any publisher, Sega seems to have the most games marooned on dead consoles in one way or another.

Grief.exe

I often mention it as a genuine example of how NOT to release and market a game on PC.
Published without any promotion, without even alerting the press about it (not a single news about it was published even by most PC-centric sites or blogs), with GFWL tied in, without a Steam release (or any major digital store, really), etc.

It's almost as if they didn't want to sell it and so deliberately worked to achieve failure.

Its either gross incompetence or a conspiracy.

Blazblue looks to be released on Windows in late 2010, the only way they could have missed Steam is if they chose not to. Its almost like they wanted to lose money.

People ask why we have to yell at Japanese companies to get things done? This is the reason. I cannot explain to you rationally how they come to these conclusions sometimes.

I theorized before that they need to let the old blood executives die out and let the younger guys step up to the plate with fresh ideas, preferably someone with a business degree post 1970. You can really tell these companies are floundering to find a position post 2006 and are just taking random swings at mobile to try to keep them afloat.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I think aiming for one game will be most likely to get results. If we do more than one on the petition, it's too easy for the people at Sega to go "Well there are no guaranteed sales for any one game and it may not be worth it to port both if only one of them will be getting these sales."

It offers up the option of split interest which adds in the worry of both being small failures rather than having one big success.

If we're absolutely going to do more than one, Bayonetta and Vanquish are the right choice but if it's one then as much as I'd love Vanquish I think that Bayonetta is most likely to succeed.

antitrop

I really want it all.

Of any publisher, Sega seems to have the most games marooned on dead consoles in one way or another.

The PC port of Jet Set Radio looks absolutely amazing once you antialias it. It's too bad that the game engine was made for 30fps only. The menus actually run at 60fps, and you can see the gameplay engine running at 2x speed in the background. Once it gets to actual gameplay it locks at 30fps.

Grief.exe

The PC port of Jet Set Radio looks absolutely amazing once you antialias it. It's too bad that the game engine was made for 30fps only. The menus actually run at 60fps, and you can see the gameplay engine running at 2x speed in the background. Once it gets to actual gameplay it locks at 30fps.

Interesting, I did not know it was locked to 30 but understandably so.

How is the FOV?

sibarraz

Banned
Will Virtua Fighter work as a F2P game with monetization inside it?

At least make it like the arcade, where you need to unlock costumes, also add all the things like the rankings and challenges, but they should try to do this after releasing VF6 for arcades or region locking it

Draikin 2

But is that how SEGA sees it? Companies like this are known to throw the baby out with the bathwater when it comes to franchise failures.
Well, I don't see how anyone can argue that Sega is handling their new IP's well, regardless of how the company sees it. Basically they had two IP's that sold over a million copies worldwide, one of those being exclusive on the PS3 which was still struggling to catch up to the Xbox360. Valkyria Chronicles went from being a PS3 classic to being reduced to a F2P browser game that continues to pile on the fanservice just for the sake of selling more cards. Bayonetta 2 was outright canceled, leaving Nintendo to salvage the project. They made a profit, certainly, but by abandoning their new IP's.

We'll never know the sales potential of Bayonetta 2 on other platforms, or find out how well an AAA sequel to Valkyria Chronicles would have sold. That's why bringing them as digital downloads to the PC is such a good idea. If the games sell there, it could convince Sega that there are still commercially viable.

By the way, Valkyria Chronicles on Steam could finally give fans the achievements so many people asked for (and who knows, it might even be an opportunity to add them to the PS3 version as well).

antitrop

Interesting, I did not know it was locked to 30 but understandably so.

How is the FOV?

I'm an FoV sensitive PC gamer and I have no problems with it. It's a third person game after all. Even at 30fps the game runs pretty smoothly, and I can run it at 3840x2160 with 8x MSAA and keep the 30fps. It's actually really great to play on PC.

Grief.exe

I'm an FoV sensitive PC gamer and I have no problems with it. It's a third person game after all. Even at 30fps the game runs pretty smoothly, and I can run it at 3840x2160 with 8x MSAA and keep the 30fps. It's actually really great to play on PC.

That probably looks pretty damn sexy.

Grief.exe

Petition will likely go up on Wednesday, I had some stuff come up today and wasn't able to get much done.
Sorry about the delay guys, but, ultimately, not a big deal.

Does Binary Domain use the Platinum Engine? Because it looks, and I think behaves physics wise similar to Vanquish.

Physics calculations are lot of times done with a middleware program such as Havok, this can be used across different engines.

Just taking a shot in the dark here.

Gbraga

What about Catherine on PC, can't Sega make it happen now?

If they added online multiplayer it would be soooooooo gooooooooooooooooooood. Not to mention how great it would look at higher resolutions.

Grief.exe

I've been really busy the past few days, made some progress tonight.

Will post up what I got tomorrow and we will hash out the details and perfect this. Really no need to rush anything anyways.

Vormund

Why the fuck did that Daytona USA remake not come to PC, anyway?

Because Sega are stupid?
Sega Racing Classic (Daytona without the licence) is on the Ringwide board which is on a x86 Windows embedded board.

They should just do quick ports of the games on Lindbergh, Ringwide and RingEdge. Chuck them on Steam for cheap prices and off you go.

Shaneus

Because Sega are stupid?
Sega Racing Classic (Daytona without the licence) is on the Ringwide board which is on a x86 Windows embedded board.

They should just do quick ports of the games on Lindbergh, Ringwide and RingEdge. Chuck them on Steam for cheap prices and off you go.
I'd kill for a full port of Outrun 2. Not the consolised version in C2C. At least the original Xbox version was closer to the arcade than the C2C one on the very same platform.

I would do unspeakable things to get that Outrun on my PC.

But... Ferrari licence :/

Sendou

You know what now Sega property would be cool to see on PC? Catherine. I think it wouldn't be the worst fit either. Unfortunately as things stand it probably isn't the most likely game to come over.

You know what now Sega property would be cool to see on PC? Catherine. I think it wouldn't be the worst fit either. Unfortunately as things stand it probably isn't the most likely game to come over.

"Catherine, coming soon to Steam with online multiplayer!"

I'd die. Catherine's versus mode brings me so much joy.

Lime

Probably would be better to push Vanquish and/or Bayonetta behind the MGR release as it's probably sold big and they're under Platinum.

It's much better to just do a multiple choice, so that each person is able to vote or prioritize the games they'd like a port of.

Shaneus

"Catherine, coming soon to Steam with online multiplayer!"

I'd die. Catherine's versus mode brings me so much joy.
I'm actually surprised Catherine hasn't appeared on PC. But with Typing/House of the Dead: Overkill making an appearance (barely), I wouldn't be surprised if some small developer has the task of porting it.

Have you seen competitive Catherine play at tournaments? I watched a few livestreams of it last year and it blew my mind.

Top Bottom