• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was Dark Souls 2 really made by a B-Team? Also, Demon's Souls 2 speculation.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Holy shit OP good post there. Am still sifting through the data on the ipad as I type this on the PC.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Well you might be....

*uses herb*

No sorry, you are wrong.

Um, a game where both sides can heal > a game where only the host can chug estus and not even be interrupted by poise. Grass is very easy to punish compared to poise-stacked Estus. And of course that's not counting the duped divine blessings...

Shengar

Not liking the "B team" designation at all as it's kind of insulting to people who've delivered a pretty fucking good game.

Sure, I get where some of the critics are coming from, there are some pretty debatable design choices, but that doesn't mean this is a bad game or not a Souls game, so the "B team" comments feel pretty unwarranted to me. I'd have no qualms with a more factual designation such as "team 2", mind you.
Game Freak's B Team churns out HGSS (maybe Platinum too?) and BW2, games that filled brim with pack of content compared to their respective Generational games. "B-Team" in this case by no mean try to downplay the talent of the team, let alone insult them unless yours perception of B team is a very inferior one.
Tell me more about this "fairness" in Dark Souls.
http://darksouls.wdfiles.com/local--files/bosses/bed-of-chaos-large.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
Are there any point in the game where you open the door, enter a room and rushed by five greatswordsmen simultaneously? Bed of Chaos is stupid design trying to emulate Dragon God fight, but it just one boss, and any "progress" you made with it in the "fight" carry over through your death.
[quote="Hupsel, post: 109351606"]Dark Souls 2 is as good as or better than DS1.
Once DS3 comes out people will be praising DS2.
Calling it a B-Team is a disrespect to the people that made DS2. Even with its flaws, the game is better than 99% of the shit that are released every day. But since Dark Souls became popular its cool to hate it now I guess.[/QUOTE]
I fucking swear, does criticizing equal with hating now? Fuck with this mentality.
[quote="Psycho_Mantis, post: 109388608"]So how many people just read the title and not the OP?

The Ds2 being called B-team entirely depends on your opinion of the game. If you thought DS2 was similar to Des/DS or better than its clear you wouldn't call them that.

The very least we can infer is that Miyazaki along with his team have been working on a game for quite some time. I think its obvious that its for next gen.[/QUOTE]
Too much text son, didn't have the time to read ;)
[quote="StuBurns, post: 109388974"]'B-team' doesn't have to imply inferiority, just isolation from the original. Second team might generally be seen as a nicer phrase, but it's a semantic distinction, not a meaningful one.[/QUOTE]

Bu-but it's the "B-Team", they must be inferior!

I must say that this "B-Team" have better technical expertise since the game is run so well on technical level. But something definitely missing from design and that makes the game lack what makes the previous games so good, especially atmosphere and level design

gogosox8

I think its a bit unfair to say DS2 was made by the "B" team. The game isn't bad by any means, its very good, maybe even great, its just not as good as demons or ds1 ( imo mind you so take that for whatever its worth). Would love a demons souls 2 game but then I was pretty hyped for ds 2 and ended being kinda dissapointed with it so knows but I would peobably be their day one if it had that same demons souls vibe.

Exr

Dark Souls 2 is as good as or better than DS1.
Once DS3 comes out people will be praising DS2.
Calling it a B-Team is a disrespect to the people that made DS2. Even with its flaws, the game is better than 99% of the shit that are released every day. But since Dark Souls became popular its cool to hate it now I guess.

Yeah all of us Dark Souls fans are really writing posts on www.neogaf.com detailing why we didn't like the 2nd game as much because we want to be considered cool.

mugwhump

Why would From's most important staff be stopping work on the dark souls games for the sake of working on a mechanically-identical DeS sequel that will be released on only one platform? It's nice to want things, but I don't think it's very likely.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Has to be. Has to be. With Morpheus hooks for when thats released. Lawd please.

I would shit purple monkeys with happiness if this was true. Since seriously FAR FAR FAR overdue with a return to the series. And if now IF they use morpheus with it.

tumblr_mx2y80kfZI1rktdaso1_500.png

Why on earth would they put more effort on a title that has no chance of outselling Dark Souls? If Demon Souls 2 is indeed on the way I bet From Software isn't the developer. If FS has a "A-Team" they are probably working on next-gen multi-platform Souls-game.

1) What makes you so sure Dark Souls Sales won't be beaten. A next gen rpg definitely has more allure than just being a Souls game.

2) Next gen rpg's are expensive. Funding may be a possible reason.

Why would From's most important staff be stopping work on the dark souls games for the sake of working on a mechanically-identical DeS sequel that will be released on only one platform? It's nice to want things, but I don't think it's very likely.

It may not be another Demons Souls. It could very well be another SCEJ x FROM project or new entry in the Souls series.

The credits all point to the fact that Miyazaki and his team started working on a project several years ago. The lack of programmers could suggest that either they are working with another team or they are at the early stages despite working on it for over two years.

mugwhump

The credits all point to the fact that Miyazaki and his team started working on a project several years ago. The lack of programmers could suggest that either they are working with another team or they are at the early stages despite working on it for over two years.

I don't doubt they're making another game, I just doubt it's DeS2. Sony has no money for moneyhats and the PS4's already won.

Gorillaz

I don't doubt they're making another game, I just doubt it's DeS2. Sony has no money for moneyhats and the PS4's already won.

Well here is the thing. They own Demon Souls and could easily contract Fromsoft to do a little coop with Sony's Japan team like last time.

I don't think we will "exactly" DeS2 but it's not impossible to happen.

Kieli

Erm. I am NOT a fan of Dark Souls II. In fact, I dislike it. A lot.

But I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a bad game... It's not. It's a very good game. I just don't like it.

Toxi

Banned
Um, a game where both sides can heal > a game where only the host can chug estus and not even be interrupted by poise. Grass is very easy to punish compared to poise-stacked Estus. And of course that's not counting the duped divine blessings...
Estus chugging is slow as hell and doesn't heal like Dark Moon Grass. Use backstabs and you can easily punish Estus.

Duped Divine Blessings are an excuse to go full asshole mode on your foe.
Are there any point in the game where you open the door, enter a room and rushed by five greatswordsmen simultaneously? Bed of Chaos is stupid design trying to emulate Dragon God fight, but it just one boss, and any "progress" you made with it in the "fight" carry over through your death.
How about the first Seath encounter, where you unexpectedly walk into a battle you literally can't win and then have to backtrack through the hell that is the Dukes' Archives just to find your bloodstain?

I am not seeing how Ds2 is a huge disappointment compared to DsS and DS and I own and played all three games thoroughly. Sure, there were some things better in DeS and DS, but I think it DS2 actually made improvements over DS1 and also consider the fact that the developers were different this one. The game imo is still high quality and amazing. Also, I have to say I fail to see why everyone thinks DeS is vastly superior to both DS games. It was legendary, but I do not see how it was a much better game.

demolitio

This.

Even if there is a Sony exclusive title, it won't be Demon's Souls 2.

Don't you find it a little ironic that you agree with someone saying GAF operates on assumptions but then say that second part as if that is a definite fact and not just another assumption?

Not saying the game definitely exists, just don't see how you could clearly say it doesn't, especially in that context.

It might very well be in existence even though people shouldn't automatically act like that's what's going in with this Dark Souls 2. Who knows really.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Estus chugging is slow as hell and doesn't heal like Dark Moon Grass. Use backstabs and you can easily punish Estus.
Not as easily as you can punish grass, since there's no poise and there's plenty of OHKO backstab weapons.

And, of course, you can grass back. Or stack lolregen.

Duped Divine Blessings are an excuse to go full asshole mode on your foe.
Ok....?

Not as easily as you can punish grass, since there's no poise and there's plenty of OHKO backstab weapons.

And, of course, you can grass back. Or stack lolregen.

Ok....?

Am I the only one that liked the regen build. Maybe it needs to be balanced more (such as requiring higher stat investment) but it was very interesting fighting against regen builds. You had to be very aggressive and consistent in your damage dealing.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Oh sure, it's a valid tactic. Unless you are a host and stack it with a regen ring, knowing that phantoms must sacrifice a ring slot, in which case I hate you. :D (This also goes for host who use hyper mode, scrubs all of them.)

Edit: getting OT now though XD

Oh sure, it's a valid tactic. Unless you are a host and stack it with a regen ring, knowing that phantoms must sacrifice a ring slot, in which case I hate you. :D (This also goes for host who use hyper mode, scrubs all of them.)

Edit: getting OT now though XD

Hyper mode was ridiculous in DeS. Morion Blade, CW, clever rats ring and then Second Chance. It didn't matter you were on such low health as you would get revived anyway :D

Yeah this is getting off topic lol

Yuterald

I think it's pretty interesting that Naotoshi Zin was the lead game designer for Dark Souls II. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure he's been Supervisor for like every fucking From Software game since the PSone-era King's Field titles. I always recall seeing his name at the end of a lot of their game's credits, including oddball shit like Evergrace and Shadow Tower. After playing through Dark Souls II, I feel like it has the most in common with the King's Field titles, as far as some design decisions go, particularly in some of the stage/area design. It's even the first Souls title to re-introduce "hidden" walls where you have the player "examine" a wall to reveal a hidden door which was TOTALLY a King's Field-only thing. I guess that makes sense to have gotten those vibes considering one of the guys who's been there since the beginning was behind the lead design.

Regardless, I gotta echo/stress the sentiment that I too will be super disappointed if the next "dark RPG" project we see out of From is simply a next-gen Dark Souls or "Demon's Souls II".

I think it's pretty interesting that Naotoshi Zin was the lead game designer for Dark Souls II. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure he's been Supervisor for like every fucking From Software game since the PSone-era King's Field titles. I always recall seeing his name at the end of a lot of their game's credits, including oddball shit like Evergrace and Shadow Tower. After playing through Dark Souls II, I feel like it has the most in common with the King's Field titles, as far as some design decisions go, particularly in some of the stage/area design. It's even the first Souls title to re-introduce "hidden" walls where you have the player "examine" a wall to reveal a hidden door which was TOTALLY a King's Field-only thing. I guess that makes sense to have gotten those vibes considering one of the guys who's been there since the beginning was behind the lead design.

Regardless, I gotta echo/stress the sentiment that I too will be super disappointed if the next "dark RPG" project we see out of From is simply a next-gen Dark Souls or "Demon's Souls II".

Natoshi Zin is usually labelled as a supervisor much like how Iwata is credited in nearly every Nintendo game. Doesn't mean he had a hand in development.

Eh, he could have done better. I think this was a B team post. A Team Gaf must be off making better posts.

B-team = inexperienced which they evidently are.

Meia

Not to mention the PC version of DS2 shits all over the mess job of DS1 PC and its so called "A-Team"

Is that why many others have to do magical shit just to get the game to boot up, and others like me can't get it to boot up no matter what we do?

I'd rather have a game needing Durante's fix to look pretty and be able to play it then one I can't play, thanks. :p

Yuterald

Natoshi Zin is usually labelled as a supervisor much like how Iwata is credited in nearly every Nintendo game. Doesn't mean he had a hand in development.

B-team = inexperienced which they evidently are.

No, I understand that, but I just meant that now since he had a lead game design role in Dark Souls II maybe he incorporated more King's Field-like things since he's had oversight on things since the beginning. I swear, as funny as it sounds, he's the one responsible for the inclusion of the Moonlight Sword in every From game, lol!

Eidan

Is there a reason why people keep talking about a Demon's Souls 2, as if Dark Souls wasn't essentially Demon's Souls 2?

Jack cw

Is there a reason why people keep talking about a Demon's Souls 2, as if Dark Souls wasn't essentially Demon's Souls 2?

It was a spiritual successor but the IP is owned by Sony and another entry would be welcomed. A Souls game exclusive to the most powerful console would be amazing.

i love how GAF just operates on the assumption that demons souls 2 is a thing

Assuming Demon's Souls 2 isn't happening, From still had their core team from Demon's and Dark Souls move on to something entirely different rather than work on Dark Souls II. I mean, it's great if they're letting staff cut loose before getting bored of a certain franchise, but they're definitely hiding something and I think whatever Miyazaki and his colleagues are working on is cause to be excited.

Jack cw

So it's really just the desire for an exclusive title.

No, just for another Souls game done by a the "A" team. Its not about having this on a preferred platform but being exclusive to the system that is easier to develop for and has some beef is something positive. There is no need to take care of the lowest comon denomniator and development doesnt have to held back because of parity in performance or something like that.

Wereroku

So it's really just the desire for an exclusive title.

I would just like to have the Hub world system back. I am really enjoying DkS2 alot more because its closer to that in many of its areas. I always felt good knowing I had conquered a place completely and moving on to an entirely new and entirely different area.

Eh, he could have done better. I think this was a B team post. A Team Gaf must be off making better posts.

So you're part of the A-team then? Cause this sure made me laugh. ;)

Plz everyone don't get so personally attacked by the "B-team" term, as I just picked it up from here, Reddit, IGN, 8-4 Play etc, and used it as a subject for my research. Also, plz read the OP. Thanks.

I appreciate the effort that went into the research of the OP, but "B-team" might be a little bit harsh. It's likely that this is simply what their A-team has turned into.
well, there have been three major PS4 'hints' from GAF insiders that have been brought up multiple times in the past two years:

-FFvsXIII would be retitled FFXV, be moved to PS4/Next Gen, and be re-revealed @ E3 '13
-The Last Guardian has shifted to PS4 development
-Studio Japan is working on a DeS2/Spiritual Successor to DeS for PS4

One of these has already happened.
The second isn't a matter of "if", but "when" (some seem to think E3 '14 or TGS '14)
The third gets a lot of "winks" from a trusted GAF Sony employee when the topic has come up in the past.

So yeah... there is actually some reason many of us at this point assume this is going to happen.
To be fair, two of those three are very safe guesses that most were assuming, as they were based around very long and expensive developments. Demon's Souls 2 is kind of in a category of its own in that regard.

Eidan

No, just for another Souls game done by a the "A" team. Its not about having this on a preferred platform but being exclusive to the system that is easier to develop for and has some beef is something positive. There is no need to take care of the lowest comon denomniator and development doesnt have to held back because of parity in performance or something like that.

I don't know about "A" team (I agree with others who have said that calling the Dark Souls 2 developers "B" team is needlessly derogatory), but it sounds like you agree with what I said. It's about having an exclusive title, as there isn't a world of difference between Demon's Souls and the Dark Souls titles.

It feels like hearing someone say they'd love it if Konami stopped making Metal Gear Solid titles and gave us a true Metal Gear 3.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It feels like hearing someone say they'd love it if Konami stopped making Metal Gear Solid titles and gave us a true Metal Gear 3.

That's exactly what it is like. For all intents and purposes it is perfectly obvious that Dark Souls is Demon's Souls 2 in all but name and story.

Wow, people will really go to any length to justify their dislike of this game.

If you didn't like it, fine, but trying to claim it was made by a "B-Team" is nonsense of the highest order.

I understand that there might be a Demon's Souls 2 in the works but I fail to see why would Sony want to have 2 dungeon crawlers (DeS2 and DD) with a "similar" setting/aesthetic being developed at the same time.

Top Bottom