• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: PlayStation 4 "Orbis" Roadmap

Elios83

I don't think anyone at this point doubts that it's going to be a pretty powerfull machine. The main question now is how it matches against the next Xbox.

I think Planetside 2 will be preinstalled on every PS4. This way it will reach a largest audiance and maybe more important Sony can put on the box that the PS4 is bundled with a free game! Which is kinda a cheap trick as it is free already, but if I were Sony I wouldn't hesitate.

They will be close, same situation of PS3 and 360.
One will be better at certain things that the other. Still PS4 would be in good position with a more powerful GPU and a big pool of really fast memory.
I don't believe in magic, so I guess that Durango could have a few extra modules to offload specific tasks (like sound, Kinect 2.0 etc) and compensate the difference in pure raw power.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Maybe the blitter has some dedicated lanes to main memory, if that's possible. Optimised for writes-only.

=> No contention with other CPU/GPU traffic when doing these write-backs.

Of course the GPU might still be busy doing some other things and not be ready to start the next pass, but the hold-up then wouldn't be the memory system's fault :) Although there'll still, of course, be a delay, but it would be minimised vs the 360 setup.

It would add some board complexity though, asides from even just the hardware itself.

blitter could be really cool, even if it's just specifically for moving buffers into and out of edram for the GPU to chew on. It'd be ideal for current engines that need multiple buffers and passes. But bandwidth is still bandwidth, so if they can do it without sucking that up it'd be even better.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
blitter could be really cool, even if it's just specifically for moving buffers into and out of edram for the GPU to chew on. It'd be ideal for current engines that need multiple buffers and passes.

The ideal is being able to write to and read from buffers without moving data anywhere. Like you get in certain other setups...

I can see how people being told about Durango would be told about custom logic like this 'removing obstacles to performance', but the particular obstacle the kind of setup discussed above would address would be distinct to the approach Durango is taking. So I hope if people hear things like that, they aren't thinking 'oh, this is going to be super efficient compared to this other thing that doesn't have so much custom logic'. If one of the blocks of logic is that kind of thing, it is improving efficiency...but relative to itself, and how it would be without it, rather than necessarily relative to other designs.

Karak

Durango HAS to have something to compensate for BW and TFLOPS in a sense. Or insiders wouldn't be saying that these consoles are within 5/10% of each other, or even stuff like Durango might be more powerful. (Which I doubt comes from their understanding of the tech, and more like info given to them from people who have access to the kits, like devs).

Or they spent MILLIONS just to have a really nice blank space on their die:)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Overall globally, yes. In the US? Don't think so.

Yeah, they would have to have a GoW, Uncharted, and GT6 at launch with MS having a really bad lineup to be able to beat MS in the US right out the gate. Obviously that situation is completely impossible. The Xbox brand is really strong in the US right now, most people refer to any game console as an Xbox. PlayStation doesn't do badly here but it's not as universal as Xbox.

Yeah, they would have to have a GoW, Uncharted, and GT6 at launch with MS having a really bad lineup to be able to beat MS in the US right out the gate. Obviously that situation is completely impossible. The Xbox brand is really strong in the US right now, most people refer to any game console as an Xbox. PlayStation doesn't do badly here but it's not as universal as Xbox.

I dunno... a number of my friends who praised the XBOX throughout most of its life cycle have been left scratching their heads after numerous RROD. When they finally did get around to buying Playstation 3's, they were all very impressed by the first party lineup.

Considering the lack of 1st party content on the XBOX the last 2 years, i think Playstation has a good chance to sway a number of purchasers. That is, if they pull off a decent launch with a handful of 'must have' titles.

Though, it's been theorized that MS's lack of first party titles recently may be an indication that they shifted development toward Durango a while ago... so shit, MS might have a stellar launch.

We shall see.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I dunno... a number of my friends who praised the XBOX throughout most of its life cycle have been left scratching their heads after numerous RROD. When they finally did get around to buying Playstation 3's, they were all very impressed by the first party lineup.

Considering the lack of 1st party content on the XBOX the last 2 years, i think Playstation has a good chance to sway a number of purchasers. That is, if they pull off a decent launch with a handful of 'must have' titles.

Though, it's been theorized that MS's lack of first party titles recently may be an indication that they shifted development toward Durango a while ago... so shit, MS might have a stellar launch.

We shall see.

I think MS will have the better exclusive launch lineup but Sony will have a better first year of exclusives.

davious88

Banned

Sony need to strengthen their marketing efforts too. Kaz said in an interview at CES that they focus on 1 region at a time (as far as smartphones and TVs go). Maybe if they centralised their marketing departments and worked on all regions simultaneously they would see better results. They also need a big marketing push for both US and the UK IMO.

That same theory can be applied to Sony too, seeing as a handful of their top 1st party devs have not released shit in 2-3 years.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Sony need to strengthen their marketing efforts too. Kaz said in an interview at CES that they focus on 1 region at a time (as far as smartphones and TVs go). Maybe if they centralised their marketing departments and worked on all regions simultaneously they would see better results. They also need a big marketing push for both US and the UK IMO.

I've been saying for a while that they're marketing department is they're worst enemy. Their ads are usually bad and they don't have the money or influence to plaster ads everywhere like Microsoft will.

Wynnebeck

Banned

I'm quite sure the launch of PS4 will be one of Sony's biggest ad launches to date with the amount of pressure to deliver on them at this point.

davious88

Banned
I'm quite sure the launch of PS4 will be one of Sony's biggest ad launches to date with the amount of pressure to deliver on them at this point.

I hope so. Sony need to understand the importance of marketing and really rethink their strategy in terms of financing & deploying it.

prwxv3

Sony can advertise well when they try. Looks at Uncharted 2/3, God of War 3, and Heavy Rain. They are in a particularly good situation regarding The Last Of Us since The Walking Dead is extremely popular and the game shares many similarities with it. Hopefully Sony takes full advantage of that when the series comes back.

Gorillaz

I would bet money that Sony will do a Viral campaign...It's in there blood. Weird shit hinting at next gen. They always do something viral.

I think the viral campaign has already started.

What if the viral campaign was the leak.

m-night-shyamalan.jpg

My only concern is who they pick to be their ad agency for the release. We need the team who did the Kevin Butler ads and not the guys from PS3's launch.

No. The Kevin Butler adverts were preaching to the converted. Sony need to aim for PS2 owners properly this time.

davious88

Banned
I still don't know that the KB ads were that effective. They seemed to target the people who already owned the console.

Funny though.

Iv'e seen a few Sony Xperia ads on TV (in England) - the ones showing NFC stuff going on. Pretty effective, well polished ads - we need these guys.

Wynnebeck

Banned
When I said Kevin Butler ads, I was referring to the ones directed at people who didn't have PS3s like the $299 and Uncharted 2 ad and not the Playstation Move ad.

davious88

Banned
When I said Kevin Butler ads, I was referring to the ones directed at people who didn't have PS3s like the $299 and Uncharted 2 ad and not the Playstation Move ad.

I though the KB ads were great, however I also thought they were greatly flawed due to their arrogant and 'cocky' approach.

tzare

i see no point in using nfc, maybe in 2-3 years time may be useful, but not sure if the cost of adding it, considering we already have wifi/bt and such is worth. To use it all devices need to be compatible, and nfc is a long way from being in every device we own.

davious88

Banned
i see no point in using nfc, maybe in 2-3 years time may be useful, but not sure if the cost of adding it, considering we already have wifi/bt and such is worth. To use it all devices need to be compatible, and nfc is a long way from being in every device we own.

The Wii U gamepad has it.

tzare

The Wii U gamepad has it.

but vita does not, and most smartphones or tablets or tv's don't have it either. It is really a matter of cost, no sure how much would mean adding it for each system, and do not really see what is so special that can be done with it that would justify that cost.

Ardenyal

The cost is probably quite small. Over here it's been used on bus and gym cards for years and those don't cost any more than a few euros, same as before NFC.

davious88

Banned
but vita does not, and most smartphones or tablets or tv's don't have it either. It is really a matter of cost, no sure how much would mean adding it for each system, and do not really see what is so special that can be done with it that would justify that cost.

PS Vita was released in December 2011
Wii U was released in November 2012

Also, Sony are including it in their upcoming smartphones, TV's, speakers etc.

spwolf

i dont think you understand what NFC is... it is not there to replace wifi and bt, it is there to make it easier to use. Tap phone to dual schock and play a video or music on your PS3... whats bad about that? it is dead cheap too.

All of Sony's 2013 phones will have NFC and their Bravia TVs.

The PS4 is going all the way to 2023. Not having NFC and Miracast would be stupid.

tzare

The cost is probably quite small. Over here it's been used on bus and gym cards for years and those don't cost any more than a few euros, same as before NFC.

but adding some slow ram for the OS is also quite a small cost but it has to be considered when probably launching at loss (and considering sony's financial issues). I mean, it would be cool to have as many features out of the box as possible, but i really do not see NFC being useful and relevant for quite a while.

i dont think you understand what NFC is... it is not there to replace wifi and bt, it is there to make it easier to use. Tap phone to dual schock and play a video or music on your PS3... whats bad about that? it is dead cheap too.

With Miracast it can work the other way as well, with the phone or tablet serving as a second screen like the Wii U. It won't have the same features as the Wii U, but basically you could have that Wii U feature of someone watching TV and then a someone else playing PS4 on the tablet, possibly even using a DS4 or on screen touch.

Top Bottom