• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkham Asylum Mafia |OT| It's time to kill the Bat

Natiko

Banned
I generally try and leave a full reads list every day purely because then my thoughts for the day are down in one post that can be referenced later. I know that very few people find them useful, but it's convenient and transparent from my perspective.

Kalor

I'm aware that I'm coasting but that's something I'm working on. It doesn't help that I don't really have any strong feelings on anyone or see anything that sticks out at all. Starsketch and That Dude John have had vague posts but vagueness is the worst thing I can find from anyone currently. Right now I feel good about Natiko, Dr. Worm and Sorian. Everyone else I'm indifferent on.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
Do you still believe Lifeline is scum?
Lifeline hasn't posted enough for me to truely say one way or the other. I picked him to add pressure and see where it goes.

Him being new has always factored into how I view him, I'm just trying to see if it lines up better with a noob town or noob scum mindset.

Fireblend

Banned
I'm aware that I'm coasting but that's something I'm working on. It doesn't help that I don't really have any strong feelings on anyone or see anything that sticks out at all. Starsketch and That Dude John have had vague posts but vagueness is the worst thing I can find from anyone currently. Right now I feel good about Natiko, Dr. Worm and Sorian. Everyone else I'm indifferent on.
Can you elaborate on your thoughts on Dr. Worm? I see Sorian and Natiko being justified through their activity (though I hope there's more to your feelings than that) but I'm a bit puzzled about DW.

SexyFish

Banned

Yeah, and Sorian's post on Starsketch's MO for these games certainly doesn't help.

Star will have to be scum at some point I'm sure but this feels like such a wasted vote and borders on lazy depending on how well you know Star (I know you at least played with her in DR3). Lack of activity is literally her MO.

Kalor

Can you elaborate on your thoughts on Dr. Worm? I see Sorian and Natiko being justified through their activity (though I hope there's more to your feelings than that) but I'm a bit puzzled about DW.

They've generally been good about asking questions or just providing their thoughts which seem well reasoned. There's not much else to it beyond that.

Sorian

Banned
Posts out of order because mobile multi quote still sucks.

You know, I've never been a huge fan of reads lists, but I see no reason to post them on day one. I get why some people want to put down their thoughts on the players at hands but it gets kinda redicules when a lot of them will boil down to null, gut, and meta, all of which usually means Jack all when it comes to actually helping find scum.

The only plus I can really say about them is that it gets people talking.

Out of curiousity, how do you think town finds scum in a vanilla game? Gut and meta don't mean jack all just because people have been wrong in the past.

Yeah, and Sorian's post on Starsketch's MO for these games certainly doesn't help.

I didn't get what this post was going for. Is it an issue with me excusing Star or just an overall worry of inactivity in general?

Time to post a few reads.

Top Town.

1. Lifeline - unless this is the greatest noob gambit of all time your posts are too naive to be scum or have help
2. Terra - what an awful vote for Lifeline. Stupidity = town imo.
3. Sorian - Some nice early batting stuff around usual style

Top Scum

1. Kalor - evenhanded under the radar posts with no real contribution. Typical scum move
2. Natiko - Very early on the inactivity train and his tone seems off to me
3. *Splinter - scattershot, abrasive and unfocussed. Pretending to push the game forward

Since when am I on your town list? Most of your interaction with me up to this point seems to indicate you find me scummy, what changed? Past that the list seems like a mixed bag. The Terra and Splinter chunks seem like they are there just to fill a 3/3 quota while the Lifeline and Natiko chunks are original thoughts that I can agree with. Kalor is the easy scum read at this point but I don't really disagree with it so it's whatever.

SexyFish

Banned
I didn't get what this post was going for. Is it an issue with me excusing Star or just an overall worry of inactivity in general?

Sorry, it was mostly agreeing with Kalor's point that Star has been vague, and their MO that you brought up means we can't really get a read early on.

Mazre

I'm really not seeing scum Kalor at all so far.

I'm also kind of surprised of the number of reads and comments that are being made about activity in general or certain players coasting. We're just barely through the halfway point of a single day phase (36 hours real time, and starting in the dead of night for our Euro folk), but 'shockingly' not everyone has a dissertation about their top scum.

Natiko

Banned

I'm also kind of surprised of the number of reads and comments that are being made about activity in general or certain players coasting. We're just barely through the halfway point of a single day phase (36 hours real time, and starting in the dead of night for our Euro folk), but 'shockingly' not everyone has a dissertation about their top scum.
Time zones aren't relevant if we are discussing posts that HAVE been made and their lack of substance.

Timeaisis

So now that Sorian seems to be leading the discussion everyone finds him town huh.

I mean, Sorian could be town, but seems like a case of follow the leader, let's not get on Sorian's shit list early in the game type deal. "I need to put 3 people on a town read list to make it look like I care, hmm who's safe? Sorian! Everyone loves sorian." First Faddy, and now Kalor.

Other than that, I don't have strong enough reads to call people town or scum, specially Sorian. I think people calling him town this early on are either trying to fall on his good graces, or simply feel pressured to make a reads post because that makes them look good and they put Sorian as town because activity despite that not really applying to him :p

Yup, and even more so on this page.

Faddy

Banned

Out of curiousity, how do you think town finds scum in a vanilla game? Gut and meta don't mean jack all just because people have been wrong in the past.

Since when am I on your town list? Most of your interaction with me up to this point seems to indicate you find me scummy, what changed? Past that the list seems like a mixed bag. The Terra and Splinter chunks seem like they are there just to fill a 3/3 quota while the Lifeline and Natiko chunks are original thoughts that I can agree with. Kalor is the easy scum read at this point but I don't really disagree with it so it's whatever.

Sorian this is v1 of my reads list. My interactions with you were fluffy and meant to generalte a bit of discussion. I thought we were on the same page?

Do you disagree with my points about *Splinter and Terra? Terra made a very brash vote against Lifeline and his explanation lines up with why I thought he did it. *Splinter has posted little of substance and has chosen to engage with what I feel are very fluffy issues.

Terrabyte20xx

Let me re-phrase that:

Gut and meta mean Jack all on DAY ONE. Obviously gut and meta start to work when you contextualize them with how people interact over the course of the game. And I'm not saying not go with the gut, it's just that in the grand scheme of things a gut read/vote is a educated guess at best.

Sorian

Banned
Sorry, it was mostly agreeing with Kalor's point that Star has been vague, and their MO that you brought up means we can't really get a read early on.

I will say that I did expect more quantity at this point even if the quality was going to end up low. So there may be something there.

It's funny because I seem to be getting a pass when I don't even have much in the way of top scum out there. I'm still voting on a pressure point and my reads are extremely murky at best.

Sorian

Banned
Sorian this is v1 of my reads list. My interactions with you were fluffy and meant to generalte a bit of discussion. I thought we were on the same page?

Do you disagree with my points about *Splinter and Terra? Terra made a very brash vote against Lifeline and his explanation lines up with why I thought he did it. *Splinter has posted little of substance and has chosen to engage with what I feel are very fluffy issues.

I definitely don't disagree with Terra's vote being bad but I do disagree with the "stupidity=town" logic. I'm not in the opposite camp but scum could easily try an easy vote like that, see that it wasn't sticking and just abort. As for Splinter, no, I don't really agree. He is playing and asking surface level questions. If anything is an issue I'd say that he hasn't taken a hard stance on anything at all but again, that's not really an issue this early imo. I expect most of those stances will come up a lot more tonight (us time) when we have like 15 or so hours to go.

Mazre

I will say that I did expect more quantity at this point even if the quality was going to end up low. So there may be something there.

It's funny because I seem to be getting a pass when I don't even have much in the way of top scum out there. I'm still voting on a pressure point and my reads are extremely murky at best.

As Fire and Time mention above players do seem to want to stay on your good side during early game. Though given your outsize presence and reputation that's not entirely surprising.

Star will have to be scum at some point I'm sure but this feels like such a wasted vote and borders on lazy depending on how well you know Star (I know you at least played with her in DR3). Lack of activity is literally her MO.

This seems really uncharacteristic for you to step in and offer a defense of someone before they have a chance to respond themselves. Doubly so to base it so heavily in past game behavior.

SexyFish

Banned
Faddy, what exactly about Splinter pushing the game forward seems scummy though. I haven't seen anything necessarily odd about him, but I am an amateur.

Ok, so reading through the past few pages I'm very confused, why were everyone voting for sexyfish?

I didn't like how *splinter was being so argumentative yesterday, but I recognize we both play entirely different town games, so I'll not read too much into it.

Saw that list from Faddy, and I don't really understand the town read on Terra. It seemed like you went out of your way to town read someone, I'd almost say your whole list was just to town read that one person.

I'm not yet leaning towards anyone for a vote yet.

Looking above me, I think that mazre/Sorian conversation is interesting. I like how mazre is trying to keep Sorian honest and trying to point out to others that defense. Probably justified, but still we have got to read into everything.

I think from a day 1 point of view town should strive to vote carelessly and at the last minute (joking... joking...)

Sorian

Banned
As Fire and Time mention above players do seem to want to stay on your good side during early game. Though given your outsize presence and reputation that's not entirely surprising.

This seems really uncharacteristic for you to step in and offer a defense of someone before they have a chance to respond themselves. Doubly so to base it so heavily in past game behavior.

It was my same stance in DR3. There are specific people I don't care to read day 1. Star is one, Blarg is another. Scum isn't one person so I can safely ignore someone here or there if I think they are prone to shooting themselves on the foot later.

Ok, so reading through the past few pages I'm very confused, why were everyone voting for sexyfish?

I didn't like how *splinter was being so argumentative yesterday, but I recognize we both play entirely different town games, so I'll not read too much into it.

Saw that list from Faddy, and I don't really understand the town read on Terra. It seemed like you went out of your way to town read someone, I'd almost say your whole list was just to town read that one person.

I'm not yet leaning towards anyone for a vote yet.

Everyone? Isn't it just me and Worm? I also already explained a few times though I do think worm was just trying to sheep a vote.

Lifeline

How i'm seeing it so far:

Town:
Lifeline
Kalor
Natiko
Terrabyte20xx
Verelios

Mafia:
Sorian
Fireblend
Acohrs

Batman:
Dr. Worm

Wildcard:
Faddy: I keep leaning between town and mafia for him.

Vote:
VOTE: Achors

Time to post a few reads.

Top Town.

1. Lifeline - unless this is the greatest noob gambit of all time your posts are too naive to be scum or have help
2. Terra - what an awful vote for Lifeline. Stupidity = town imo.
3. Sorian - Some nice early batting stuff around usual style

Top Scum

1. Kalor - evenhanded under the radar posts with no real contribution. Typical scum move
2. Natiko - Very early on the inactivity train and his tone seems off to me
3. *Splinter - scattershot, abrasive and unfocussed. Pretending to push the game forward

You have me as Town, but Kalor as scum even though the main reason people voted for Kalor was because he was "defending" me?

Sorry, I've been really busy those last 1.5 days...

So, Lifeline: At first glance I had the itch that Scum chat told him to double down on that nonsense acohrs - Sorian - Faddy theory, but on second read the only persons actually speaking against it before he backed down were the accused. So of course he wouldn't trust them a lot. I'm back to probably Town now.

Note that his post directly above mine wasn't there when I made mine.

That's actually a very weird swing back to his original accusation. Maybe scum double down strategy after all?

Faddy

Banned
I don't know what I love more about Lifeline's post, that he put himself on his town list or that he lists Dr Worm as Batman.

Fireblend

Banned

Town:
Lifeline
Kalor
Natiko
Terrabyte20xx
Verelios

Mafia:
Sorian
Fireblend
Acohrs

Batman:
Dr. Worm

Wildcard:
I'd be interested in you elaborating a bit on those reads. I think Acohrs and Sorian are the only ones I've seen you really paint a picture for.

Lifeline

I don't know what I love more about Lifeline's post, that he put himself on his town list or that he lists Dr Worm as Batman.

Putting myself on the town list should make sure everyone knows i'm town, right? Isn't that how it works. Also I'm still curious why Kalor is your number 1 mafia pick.

I'd be interested in you elaborating a bit on those reads. I think Acohrs and Sorian are the only ones I've seen you really paint a picture for.

I have you as Mafia because Sorian seems to defend you a lot and you seem to defend him, plus you being against Kolar is suspect.

Natiko

Banned
Putting myself on the town list should make sure everyone knows i'm town, right? Isn't that how it works. Also I'm still curious why Kalor is your number 1 mafia pick.

Oh Lifeline, you sweet, sweet soul. In a world where nobody lies maybe.

Terrabyte20xx

Town:
Lifeline
Kalor
Natiko
Terrabyte20xx
Verelios

Mafia:
Sorian
Fireblend
Acohrs

Batman:
Dr. Worm

Wildcard:

Vote:

You have me as Town, but Kalor as scum even though the main reason people voted for Kalor was because he was "defending" me?

I find you picks for mafia interesting, but are they purely because of affliation?, From my experience 2 or 3 scum will affiliate themselves with each other than ignore the other in a way so that they don't all get lumped in at once.

Faddy

Banned

I have you as Mafia because Sorian seems to defend you a lot and you seem to defend him, plus you being against Kolar is suspect.

I have Kalor as my top scum because of the way he defended you. Remember scum know each other and can collude in secret, what they need to do is win the trust of town players. So while you are clearly take with what is probably an accurate defence of your post I believe Kalor may be setting up a persona of being a logical thinker and asset for town.

The hardest thing for scum players is to finger someone else as scum because they will be accusing an innocent player and get push back. Or if they accuse one of their fellow scum the danger is other town players will bandwagon onto the accusation.

Fireblend

Banned
I wasn't referring to your read of me in particular, more to all the others since you mentioned quite the amount of people in your reads. Though I do think that judgment is hilariously inaccurate. What did you perceive as me and Sorian defending each other?

Lifeline

I find you picks for mafia interesting, but are they purely because of affliation?, From my experience 2 or 3 scum will affiliate themselves with each other than ignore the other in a way so that they don't all get lumped in at once.

I'm still revolving around Acohrs's read list and the fallout after I voted for him. Sorian seems all over the place, but I think there's a consistency with him defending fireblend and fireblend defending him.

#87: Fireblend comes in early to make sure Sorian doesn't get pegged as Mafia for posting too much

#191: Fireblend trying to downplay Achors list meaning anything

Kalor doesn't strike me as Mafia, because I don't see why Mafia would stick their neck out and put themselves in danger over a town player.

Plus all the people jumping on Kalor afterwards seemed like a mix of true town concern and mafia interference. And ofcourse Sorian and Fireblend being big parts on the Kalor bandwagon here.

All of this points to the true brains behind the operation: Dr. Worm being Batman.

_Iy_o-.gif

acohrs

Town:
Lifeline
Kalor
Natiko
Terrabyte20xx
Verelios

Mafia:
Sorian
Fireblend
Acohrs

Batman:
Dr. Worm

Wildcard:

Vote:

You were doing so well, you had put the o before the h and gotten it right the first time. Then when it came to the important moment, the rush of blood to your head caused you to mistype it making the dramatic moment and the vote useless because right now you're voting for achors, a nonexistent player...

Not surprised by the vote on me based on your earlier posts, much more interested by the Mr. Worm as batman. Very curious to see how you pulled that one out of the bag matey.

Fireblend

Banned
In fact, looking back at Mr. Worm's posts, I get nothing. Neither scum nor town, just big fat NAI posts
I dunno, I actually agree with him on this one. Worm doing fluff posts well after we were done with that doesn't sit well with me. Maybe not Batman, but something does smell like guano there.

acohrs

I dunno, I actually agree with him on this one. Worm doing fluff posts well after we were done with that doesn't sit well with me. Maybe not Batman, but something does smell like guano there.

OK, let's say that is the case, but in that case, there's a few players that you could level the same criticism at.

Lifeline

Batman is too important of a role to lose. It has to be played safe and that's what he's doing.

Sorian is super active and everywhere and taking about/attacking/defending everyone, but one big person he's been pretty much ignoring is Dr. Worm. Same with Fireblend. Achors too, but he's less active so it makes sense.

Dr. Worm's posts are super safe and not strongly leaning in any direction. To the point where it seems he's playing both sides, to keep himself safe no matter what happens.

Dr. Worm really wants to stay alive and my mafia lineup is ignoring him in a way that's really suspect.

He is the Batman.

acohrs

Batman is too important of a role to lose. It has to be played safe and that's what he's doing.

Sorian is super active and everywhere and taking about/attacking/defending everyone, but one big person he's been pretty much ignoring is Dr. Worm. Same with Fireblend. Achors too, but he's less active so it makes sense.

Dr. Worm's posts are super safe and not strongly leaning in any direction. To the point where it seems he's playing both sides, to keep himself safe no matter what happens.

Dr. Worm really wants to stay alive and my mafia lineup is ignoring him in a way that's really suspect.

He is the Batman.

...you did it again

Lifeline

Okay, the posts right above mine go against what I said. But my point still stands, the bats is feeling the heat and Achors is defending him and Fireblend is faking suspicion.

acohrs

He is the Batman.

Question, can't the same argument about Dr. Worm also be applied to fat4all using all the points above?

acohrs

Last post above is also a point to be made to Fireblend. Want to clarify, I don't townread Dr. Worm, right now I am nullreading them. Just don't think any of the arguments put forward so are solely aimed at the doctor, as stated above, think you could make most of the same arguments of a few other players, hence why I listed fat4all.

acohrs

You mentioned fat4all in your initial list.

I did, I said I enjoy playing with him. That wasn't read, it was a compliment. In terms of solving, I nullread him. I enjoy my interactions with fatters, but let's be honest, he's done nothing to actually solve

Natiko

Banned
I appreciate the zeal lifeline, but just keep in mind the chances that you've solved the game before the end of D1 and caught the entire scum team is very slim. That's why building entire scum teams D1 isn't often done. I mention it solely so you don't just end up tunneling.

Top Bottom