• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.
you people are a bit touchy about your USB 2.0 and 3.0
that shit is the least of our worries about the WiiU as fans of NIN TEN DO

we can't expect them to solve every drawback they gave us last ten overnight
you'll take your 2.0 Useable USB and like it

wait until they tell us what they are going to use 4 of them for before we complain

about the usb 2.0/3.0 thing again

Nintendo could use eSata as a solution. Why i bring this up? Because Sata controllers usually support at least 2 drives. So they could hook up their Blu Ray like drive to Sata1 port and use the second one for the external HDD.

Using Sata 3, eSata is supposed to be as quick as usb 3 (6Gbit instead of the 5Gbit of USB3, theoretical speed) Or slower, but not by much using Sata 2 (3Gbit instead of USB2s 480mbit).

So 2 birds (Optical drive and external HDD) with 1 stone... Quite a "Nintendo way" to do things.

StevieP

Banned
He's mah boy, but some of you guys take this stuff too seriously.

I mean yes some of the media writing off Nintendo before they've announced anything is irritating. But who cares? If you're going to get worked up over anything on the internet make it be on something worthwhile.

Gender inequality around the world, massive wealth disparities between those in the same countries and then the massive gulf with the rest of the world, elections used to placate the masses while having few discernible effects, or the fact that our very economic system is based on fiction. Little slips of paper that have no real meaning other than what we give it. Only worth anything if we think it is.

Videogames are fun time wasters. But there's some real shit to get irritated about out there.

I like you, monkey.

512 MB of ram, here we come!

With 512mb reserved by the OS.

Move isn't supported on the PS3 versions of CoD. Not Black Ops or Modern Warfare 3. Neither does Battlefield 3 or Medal of Honor. Sony's first party FPS (Resistance, Killzone, MAG) do support it. MAG even had it patched it after it was released. This is why I don't think it's a certainty unless the Wii remote is in the box and looked as a standard control scheme alongside the new controller. Though maybe that won't matter as they made sure to add classic controller support to the Wii versions and that didn't come with the system.

Yep... if it's not in the box I'm confident that most third parties won't bother. Even Treyarch, who was good with the Wii. Only exclusive games (Conduit 3?) will bother

it's all good, everyone is allowed to think what they like. I personality think the last 2 infinity ward COD games have been generic garbage with horrible game design in general but I've always liked treyarch, it's only now they seem to be getting some respect.

Hopefully Nintendo made sure that if they were going to get any 3rd party game this was the one, would be a shame if not, because then I'd have to get it for PS3 rather than wiiU.

As someone who just purchased MW3 on PC for a discount... ugh. MW2 but crappier. And still using the peer-to-peer console online model on PC. For shame, Infinity Ward. What have you become? Blops was so much better.

They most likely won't allow it. I believe it's due to the fact that people will just install and return the game after they install a copy on their HDD or SD card. Then again, they can just do what MS is doing and make it so that you must have the disc in the tray, but that defeats the purpose of installing a game if you're too lazy to change discs.

Games will be locked to the console via license code. Think PC/Steam/etc

Linkhero1

With 512mb reserved by the OS.

I know I was only kidding :p
Games will be locked to the console via license code. Think PC/Steam/etc
But how would they do it if they allow you to install the game onto your console? The original post was asking about installing games off disc onto your console so you wouldn't have to use the disc.

As someone who just purchased MW3 on PC for a discount... ugh. MW2 but crappier. And still using the peer-to-peer console online model on PC. For shame, Infinity Ward. What have you become? Blops was so much better.
I wonder the same thing, I've come tothe conclusion that COD4 was some kind of fluke of some sort. Anyway I'm just glad the next one is treyarch, it's the main reason I'm interested (beyond all the interesting changes). They understand map design, and for PC gamers they used dedicated servers last time, all in all the superior dev these days.

StevieP

Banned
But how would they do it if they allow you to install the game onto your console? The original post was asking about installing games off disc onto your console so you wouldn't have to use the disc.

Every piece of content you purchase, whether it's a retail disc or a download code from the retailer, or the Nintendo uShop - is going to be locked to your console/account.

That disc and its associated license isn't going to work anywhere else but your console.

HylianTom

Banned
Considering Nintendo is trying to change their image at the moment, it would be cool if there were a new face to attach to it. I doubt he'll have any stage presence though.

Yeah.. he's eloquent enough, but I'm wondering if anyone can command the stage in the same way that Reggie does.

Every piece of content you purchase, whether it's a retail disc or a download code from the retailer, or the Nintendo uShop - is going to be locked to your console/account.

That disc and its associated license isn't going to work anywhere else but your console.
Man, how I am hating this future.. ugh..

$16 a share down from $30 in the last year, down from $70 in the heyday of the Wii, 2008
The peak time for stock prices and actual DS/Wii numbers is a bit different. Stock was at its highest point late 2007. By the time DS and Wii were putting their biggest numbers up late 2008, it was down nearly half. *shrug* I don't have great faith in the stock market making perfect sense, which is why something like a decent E3 showing could earn me the value of an extra launch game. :p
The Xtortionist said:
Was is ever confirmed if there's going to be an optical port for dolby 5.1?
Nope. E3 2011 spec sheet says
Audio Output:
Uses AV Multi Out connector. Six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI.

StevieP

Banned
Man, how I am hating this future.. ugh..

Get used to it. It's already the case on PC, and I'm fairly certain that will be the case on all 3 consoles. The fact that there is an easy-as-pie NFC reader and the fact that Iwata just recently told you that all content will be cross-purchaseable at retail/download/etc should raise all the flags that needed to be raised that Nintendo is in on this as the other 2 companies are.

Was is ever confirmed if there's going to be an optical port for dolby 5.1?

Nope. HDMI is the only way you'll be getting multichannel outside of pro logic II as far as we know. The analog output port looked the exact same as the one on the Wii.

HylianTom

Banned
Get used to it. It's already the case on PC, and I'm fairly certain that will be the case on all 3 consoles. The fact that there is an easy-as-pie NFC reader and the fact that Iwata just recently told you that all content will be cross-purchaseable at retail/download/etc should raise all the flags that needed to be raised that Nintendo is in on this as the other 2 companies are.
So.. what happens to "my" content when the console it's registered to craps-out?

about the usb 2.0/3.0 thing again

Nintendo could use eSata as a solution. Why i bring this up? Because Sata controllers usually support at least 2 drives. So they could hook up their Blu Ray like drive to Sata1 port and use the second one for the external HDD.

Using Sata 3, eSata is supposed to be as quick as usb 3 (6Gbit instead of the 5Gbit of USB3, theoretical speed) Or slower, but not by much using Sata 2 (3Gbit instead of USB2s 480mbit).

So 2 birds (Optical drive and external HDD) with 1 stone... Quite a "Nintendo way" to do things.

The main reason I've focused on USB 3.0 over eSATA was the latter's need for external power. I think for the consumer USB 3.0 would be less complex since they just would plug it in the console and that's that. Either way like I said before when it's 2015 and Wii U is only 3 years old, 2.0 won't be anywhere near as capable.

Also after skimming through the last few pages, after talking with some people (Ideaman included), I think it's safe to say we're looking at 2GB of total system memory for Wii U. The remaining questions will be what type of memory is it and how much will OS and friends need. 512MB will probably be the worst case and hopefully they'll trim the footprint even more.

StevieP

Banned
So.. what happens to "my" content when the console it's registered to craps-out?

Well, you could hope that Nintendo does it per account (i.e. you sign into the account on the new/repaired Wii U). Alternatively, the Nintendo repair shops have the ability to transfer the licenses to a different console as they do now with the Wii and you do with DSi->3DS

So how am I supposed to get Dolby 5.1 surround into my headphones.

Search the 'net for an HDMI to optical converter and pray that it works without messing with the analog video signal lol

BurntPork

Banned
you people are a bit touchy about your USB 2.0 and 3.0
that shit is the least of our worries about the WiiU as fans of NIN TEN DO

we can't expect them to solve every drawback they gave us last ten overnight
you'll take your 2.0 Useable USB and like it

wait until they tell us what they are going to use 4 of them for before we complain

I guess you'll say that we're "lucky" to have USB 3.0 in the Wii V six years from now too, huh? :/

HylianTom

Banned
Well, you could hope that Nintendo does it per account (i.e. you sign into the account on the new/repaired Wii U). Alternatively, the Nintendo repair shops have the ability to transfer the licenses to a different console as they do now with the Wii and you do with DSi->3DS
If it's tied to account, I'd have zero problems with it. That'd be quite a bit more tolerable, actually.

Worse conference equals better ReactionGAF. So there's always that.
Oh but yes, haha!

BurntPork

Banned

I disagree. I don't see Nintendo jumping on the no used games bandwagon, even when applying those flimsy red flags to it. You would think that there would have been a rumor about it already if that were the case. I also HIGHLY doubt that Nintendo would kill the family aspect of the console by making it so that only one of the accounts on a console can use a disc.

japtor

It will be interesting to see how successful the Wii U is and how third party games sell on it. We may see a future where the majority of developers put the majority of time developing games for the WiiU because of factors like lower development costs, large install base, and high sales through DD and what not by the time 720/PS4 comes out. 

So yeah, I can definitely see overly-ambitious hardware failing due to high development costs....I have a sneaking suspicion that Nintendo knows exactly what they're doing.
Hasn't the "first" platform pretty much been the lead?  If it's enough of a boost over 360/PS3 I could see it as the base platform in the future, particularly if it gets a big lead in install base from the head start.
Hey, would it have to be on a separate bus?  I seem to recall that USB steps down to the speed of the slowest device connected, and Keyboards tend to go really slowly.
Yeah, but they could do USB 2.0 keyboards.  I know Apple's been doing that for a while now, I'm guessing other major ones are USB 2.0 too.
You mean we're lucky to have an industry-standard interface in the wiiU. Otherwise who would waste money putting unusable usb in their console?
*glares at his non standard Xbox 360 USB joystick* 
Ideally it's tied to your account as well.  My wish with Nintendo is that they'd tie it entirely to your account and let you use multiple consoles like with iOS and the 360 but I'm not sure Nintendo is ready for that yet.
The main reason I've focused on USB 3.0 over eSATA was the latter's need for external power.  I think for the consumer USB 3.0 would be less complex since they just would plug it in the console and that's that.  Either way like I said before when it's 2015 and Wii U is only 3 years old, 2.0 won't be anywhere near as capable.

Also after skimming through the last few pages, after talking with some people (Ideaman included), I think it's safe to say we're looking at 2GB of total system memory for Wii U.  The remaining questions will be what type of memory is it and how much will OS and friends need.  512MB will probably be the worst case and hopefully they'll trim the footprint even more.
Yeah the issue with eSATA is just the lack of power.  Granted with a 3.5" drive either way you need external power, but with USB you can hook up a 2.5" drive with just the single cable.

As for RAM, didn't they reduce the reserved amount for the 3DS system software after launch and let games use more?

StevieP

Banned
I disagree. I don't see Nintendo jumping on the no used games bandwagon, even when applying those flimsy red flags to it. You would think that there would have been a rumor about it already if that were the case. I also HIGHLY doubt that Nintendo would kill the family aspect of the console by making it so that only one of the accounts on a console can use a disc.

If there is something to make an avatar bet on, it's this. lol
It's going to need industry-wide support to happen, and Nintendo is part of that industry. Read Iwata's comments carefully. The infrastructure to accept a code/license key/etc for a piece of software (which is available via disc, download, or download code) is already being put in place. It will be put to use as well.

Instro

Also after skimming through the last few pages, after talking with some people (Ideaman included), I think it's safe to say we're looking at 2GB of total system memory for Wii U. The remaining questions will be what type of memory is it and how much will OS and friends need. 512MB will probably be the worst case and hopefully they'll trim the footprint even more.

So, assuming it launched with 256MB+ locked up, what is the OS doing that it would require so much RAM?

I guess you'll say that we're "lucky" to have USB 3.0 in the Wii V six years from now too, huh? :/

what do you want BurnPork?

Speculation thread should be about speculation on what we do not know.

did we not know about HDMI / USB 2.0 day 1?

If we are going to dream about USB 3.0 because we think Nintendo is slighting us yet again then its just going to have to remain a dream.

Maybe what I should have said is we should feel lucky that we knew about USB 2.0 so early so it could save us from wishing and dreaming about USB 3.0 :/

at the end of the day its not a big deal unless we know for sure what Nintendo is planning to connect to those ports

If you upgrade the ports you have to be ready to upgrade the core hardware and the stuff that it connects to that we know nothing about.

If Nintendo says 2.0 and they know all the facts behind what connects to it what is the point of me getting my hopes up on 3.0 adding yet one more thing for me to feel slighted about.

I did not know USB 2.0 was not up to snuff until you guys started posting about how dreamy 3.0 would be

lets be happy about the little things we do know for sure as you said USB 2.0 was on Wii
well duh... So Nintendo on day 1 posted about that fact for WiiU why are we so hyped on this fact suddenly changing on June 5th?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't Denise Kaigler have a different position than Cammie? I thought I remembered both Kaigler and Dunaway working there at the same time.
Denise Kaigler was vice president of corporate affairs. Cammie Dunaway was executive vice president of sales & marketing.

BurntPork

Banned
If there is something to make an avatar bet on, it's this. lol
It's going to need industry-wide support to happen, and Nintendo is part of that industry. Read Iwata's comments carefully. The infrastructure to accept a code/license key/etc for a piece of software (which is available via disc, download, or download code) is already being put in place. It will be put to use as well.

Would you mind pointing out the exact comments?

Also, keep in mind that NFC is in the controller, not the console.

Man, I love this thread. I'll give you all a cryptic Wii U quote on May 2nd that you can all analyze into oblivion. :lol

The 2nd doesn't work for me.
Can we do it on the 4th?

Sorry AceBandage, today will have to suffice.

Here's parts of the transcription of the Wii U part of my interview with Treyarch boss Mark Lamia. (It was before the release date was known)

The full interview is here: In Norwegian

PressFire.no said:
PressFire: Do you have a release date?
Lamia: November 13th

PressFire: That's around the same time as the Wii U launch, isn’t it?
Lamia: (smirks) It is... That’s what I hear, rumor-wise. I don’t think they’ve announced a launch date for the Wii U though?

PressFire: They said before christmas? But that overwatch mode, on the Wii U pad ...it seems kind of obvious?
Lamia: (laughs) Do you want a job in game design?

PressFire: (laughs) So is there a Wii U version coming?
Lamia: Ah! We’re not.. we’re only talking about the other platforms at this time.

PressFire: I know.
Lamia: But here’s what I can tell you: Treyarch has a long tradition of working on the Nintendo platforms. A long tradition.

PressFire: That’s right, you did the Wii versions of the Modern Warfare games.
Lamia: Uh huh, and the Wii versions of all our Call of Duty titles. And we made the GameCube version of Big Red One. And the Wii version of Spiderman Web of Shadows. We have a lot of experience on the Wii and on the Nintendo platforms. So yeah, we enjoy the Nintendo Wii. We enjoy working on that.

Have fun.

Linkhero1

When was this confirmed? Or is this just a speculation?

Pyrokai

When was this confirmed? Or is this just a speculation?

Wait.....really? Wouldn't the confirmed account-based system for Wii U not tie it to a console but rather to your account? Similar to PSN and such?

Edit: I was referring to what you quoted....sorry I'm on my phone right now :p

As for RAM, didn't they reduce the reserved amount for the 3DS system software after launch and let games use more?

Yeah all of of them do that. PS3 started out with a high amount dedicated to OS and I think since then they've cut down by almost half.

So, assuming it launched with 256MB+ locked up, what is the OS doing that it would require so much RAM?

Ideaman mentioned a few of the things along with the OS, but I'm drawing a blank right now.

Yeah all of of them do that. PS3 started out with a high amount dedicated to OS and I think since then they've cut down by almost half.

Ideaman mentioned a few of the things along with the OS, but I'm drawing a blank right now.

Streaming video online while voice chatting is all I can think of.

Discomurf

Treyarch <3 Nintendo

who know

They already set up an official forum for BLOPS2 'Wii'. ;)

http://community.callofduty.com/community/call_of_duty/english/black_ops_2/forums/wii

At this point I think its a really safe bet that it will be announced at Nintendo's E3 presser if not sooner. I would expect Wii U exclusive features like an overwatch mode as well. My hope is that they keep an option for IR controls -- I LOVE the controls for the last few Wii COD games, so much more fun (at least for me).

-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom