• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dark Knight Rises - Trailer 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point was you didn't need to know story of Alien at all to be interested in that trailer. What you are suppose to get from that trailer is the creepy vibes in it, not what the story is about. Did you not look at the trailer at all? It's a silly comparison to make when both trailers seem to be aiming for different things/vibes. Plus, he's comparing a teaser trailer to an actual 3 min trailer or whatever. Teasers usually are suppose to be vague, but as far as I know the teaser trailer to this movie came out last year and was like 14 seconds long.

Why do you need to know the story of Batman or an action/comic flick to be interested in the trailer? There are plenty of elements they can show off to get people buzzing without giving away much of the story. It's the same thing. Very few action movies go into detail on the story (including Nolan's movies) in the trailers. Watch the TDK or Inception trailers again, they don't give anymore story elements than TDKR's trailer does.

To further elaborate that the new TDKR trailer is showing and telling little (as in not enough to even get a person who has never seen the other films intrigued), it is to the filmmakers' advantage that we already know enough and are hyped enough to see the movie that they dont need to show anything. They know people will go see it, and not showing anything allows them to keep surprises and not have to sell money shots or sequences to get butts in theaters.

Of course, we will see how the lack of information campaign paid off when we see the opening weekend numbers.

artist

Banned
Look at the flyover on the right.

vlcsnap-2012-05-01-00zaqp8.png

Huge version: http://www.abload.de/img/vlcsnap-2012-05-01-00syk35.png

War movie is an understatement.

Tookay

Actually, they did. This trailer really tells me what TDK is all about: Gotham mobs are scared by Batman and to confront him they join up a madman that happens to be one of the most recognizable comic book villains in pop-culture. It even explains Batman and Rachel's relationship!

But it doesn't tell you what the Joker's motivation for punishing Batman is either or anything. It doesn't tell you a damn thing what role Harvey Dent will play, except in inferences (just like the TDKR trailer with Hathaway and Levitt's characters). I feel like you're arbitrarily looking at the TDK with the hindsight of how that movie played out.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
That football scene still looks incredibly cheesy.

And I'm still not digging Anne Hathaway as Catwoman.

On the positive side, it seems Bale has toned down his raspy Cookie Monster voice for Batman.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
But it doesn't tell you what the Joker's motivation for punishing Batman is either or anything. It doesn't tell you a damn thing what role Harvey Dent will play, except in inferences (just like the TDKR trailer with Hathaway and Levitt's characters). I feel like you're arbitrarily looking at the TDK with the hindsight of how that movie played out.

It doesn't even tell us anything about Marion Cotillard's character. This trailer is a nice tease to the actual movie.

Why do you need to know the story of Batman or an action/comic flick to be interested in the trailer? There are plenty of elements they can show off to get people buzzing without giving away much of the story. It's the same thing. Very few action movies go into detail on the story (including Nolan's movies) in the trailers. Watch the TDK or Inception trailers again, they don't give anymore story elements than TDKR's trailer does.

I've already said I'm seeing this movie regardless.

Okay let's compare trailer 3 of The Dark Knight and Rises

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu8FvFezAI4

Are you seriously going to tell me that trailer is as vague as TDKR trailer 3? It gives A WHOLLEEE lot away more.

Tookay

Are you seriously going to tell me that trailer is as vague as TDKR trailer 3? It gives A WHOLLEEE lot away more.

Joker says he's going to kill Batman, blows shit up, throws Rachel off a building, shoots at Batman's bike.

Bane says he's not going to kill Batman, demolishes shit, pushes JGL and co around, beats Batman up.

Neither have clear objectives. They're terrorists, they do bad stuff, Batman has to fight them and meets new allies (or enemies). What the hell else do you want?

considering nolan is propping this up to be the 'end' of the trilogy, it makes sense to shroud a lot of it in mystery.

I suppose so, maybe I'm being too harsh, maybe it's being mysterious because that's kind of how he wants to portray Bane as well.
Joker says he's going to kill Batman, blows shit up, throws Rachel off a building, shoots at Batman's bike.

Bane says he's not going to kill Batman, demolishes shit, pushes JGL and co around, beats Batman up.

Neither have clear objectives. They're terrorists, they do bad stuff, Batman has to fight them and meets new allies (or enemies). What the hell else do you want?

So are you agreeing that trailer 3 of TDK is as vague as TDKR? If so, you are wrong.

The part that has a lot more context is the scene with Joker trying to organize the mob. The rest is similar in that it's a bunch of action scenes, quick cuts, but you don't really know whats going on until you see the movie.

I suppose so, maybe I'm being too harsh, maybe it's being mysterious because that's kind of how he wants to portray Bane as well.

I see what you're saying, but I think given that the Dark Knight had a lot more to prove from a commercial standpoint, it sort of makes sense that they threw everything that they got to get people into the theater, whereas with this one, there's sort of an automatic trigger to it all and showing more can be to the detriment of the film.

Personally though, TDK trailer #2 with the full blown reveal of the Joker is the best trailer for the series.

Tookay

Loved the trailer but really wish the Batwing had a different design.
wings, helicopter rotor or something.

Yeah, it looks better in motion, but it's still a pretty weak, goofy design. Along with Catwoman's look (and even Bane's to a lesser extent).

So are you agreeing that trailer 3 of TDK is as vague as TDKR? If so, you are wrong.

They're both vague. I don't think it's a problem to want to figure out what Bane's plan is or even who he is. I think that's the point, to raise interest in what he's trying to do.

The part that has a lot more context is the scene with Joker trying to organize the mob. The rest is similar in that it's a bunch of action scenes, quick cuts, but you don't really know whats going on until you see the movie.

I also feel like a lot more is implied too within the trailer like when they show the bat signal destroyed and such. But the rest, I'll agree on. Avengers will be better than this anyway lol jk (don't hurt me :( )

.GqueB.

Banned
Meh. I do feel like Nolan has to hold back quite a bit in these trailers though so I'm still confident this will be good. Last shot was awful too. Such a cut should definitely be a lead in to something great but that design is so terrible.

"it's not a car... It's a giant metal mosquito... Thing."

I figured out what was bugging me. The lack of the music hitting a crescendo at the end when the titles appear. I guess that's why I felt the trailer never really ended.

Yeah, like at the 1:18 mark the music starts to pick up and around 1:50 or so you expect it to go into something akin to Like A Dog Chasing Cars from TDK or like the main sort of Zimmer Batman theme heard in Antrozous from Batman Begins. But it sort of stays more mellow.

123rl

Stunning. I can't believe the quality of the big blockbusters this year. One of the best years in a LONG time

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Swear to god, the first three times, after Bats asks Bane what he is, I heard him answer "I am Gotham's rectum." Other than that, perfect trailer!

Nesotenso

Don't know if anyone pointed this out, but trailer makes it look like they have elements of both Knightfall and No Man's Land

Anybody else feel this way ?

Dammit. Looks like I going to have to shell out the extra bucks for my town's Lie-Max (it's one of those "Digital IMAX" screens and not the true 70mm IMAX screens) to see it on the biggest screen possible. I want nothing less!

If you guys trailers that give away the entire movie, What Lies Beneath is one of the absolute worst. If the internet "OMG SPOILERS!" mentality was around when that came out it would have been a giant clusterfuck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRlEqRa8NjQ

Have you ever seen Hide N Seek movie with robert de niro? Once my friends and I were watching tv before we were going to see that movie and while flipping channels we saw the end of the commercial to the movie and it basically gave away the major plot twist of the movie.
I never thought I'd see the day when people actually complain that a trailer doesn't give away the whole movie.

Who is complaining about that? I've seen no one here say they want to know the entire movie or even come close to implying that.

Don't know if anyone pointed this out, but trailer makes it look like they have elements of both Knightfall and No Man's Land

Pretty much. Gotham looks pretty much wrecked in that last shot, plus just how the poster shows all the debris and Bane blowing stuff up gives it a very No Man's Land vibe.

.GqueB.

Banned

That's what I got when I saw the bridges blowing up. Don't think they'll be much more outside of that though. That would be a movie all by itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom