• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny viral marketing campaign/teaser sites begin

Kay, tweeted on my end as well. Also did a post on DBO if that gets noticed.

Wish we could get Reddit excited for this again, but I can understand their displeasure in it just being a big image.

Cool, thanks.

Each day we're just getting a new image and some text, but I think it'll end up unlocking something special at the end. Maybe a second video just for the fans. I really doubt Bungie will go through the trouble of building this complicated puzzle just to distribute a few desktop wallpapers.

Cool, thanks.

Each day we're just getting a new image and some text, but I think it'll end up unlocking something special at the end. Maybe a second video just for the fans. I really doubt Bungie will go through the trouble of building this complicated puzzle just to distribute a few desktop wallpapers.

Hey Duncan.. I was looking at your site and I noticed something. If you look at the image you have here: http://misriahsolutions.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/circles.jpg

Then look at what Gaf user BigEvilTurtle discovered in his gif here (warning, large image): http://i.minus.com/ib2AD85WsgJHXh.gif

It looks like they could all overlay. I don't really have the ability to do it though. Tried messing around with it in GIMP but I'm horrible with the program.

Hey Duncan.. I was looking at your site and I noticed something. If you look at the image you have here: http://misriahsolutions.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/circles.jpg

Then look at what Gaf user BigEvilTurtle discovered in his gif here (warning, large image): http://i.minus.com/ib2AD85WsgJHXh.gif

It looks like they could all overlay. I don't really have the ability to do it though. Tried messing around with it in GIMP but I'm horrible with the program.

Hmm, I don't think the circles from the first image correspond to the design in the second. (Obviously they both use the same Puerto Princesa map drawing, but I assume that's not what you're talking about.)

I'll keep it in mind though, future images might make a connection. :)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So we're activating at 11?
Just woke up.

blamite

Looks like this is what we're solving this time. I wonder if these puzzles will keep taking more or less the same form, or if this'll get mixed up in some crazy way between now and sunday.

BraXzy

Has interest in this died off already? The thread has slowed right down :/

Suppose there isn't much to do besides wait, wonder if this ARG will turn into something more interesting?

Rat Salad

Banned
wasnt it stated that when bungie stopped developing halo games and moved to contracts under activision it was said their next game was exclusive to ms ? sure i read that around the time

And if that holds true I doubt Gaf will be sporting Avatars about it! Just cause it might not be in the Sony camp! LOL.

Hmm, I don't think the circles from the first image correspond to the design in the second. (Obviously they both use the same Puerto Princesa map drawing, but I assume that's not what you're talking about.)

I'll keep it in mind though, future images might make a connection. :)

Correct. The circles don't specifically show up on the Space image (pulled from the background of @destinythegame's twitter page) but maybe they are supposed to be some kind of frame of reference when all the images are discovered.

All I got was this:

ibkP88fUITLGig.png
iQahC5jcwexgD.png

Not very exciting. It looked like an infinity loop this morning.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I kept refreshing madly over the course of 11:00 to 11:06 and never saw anything more than what was just posted.

I was constantly redoing it, and it didn't get any clearer than what I posted until 2:20. Waiting for 2:25.

It's not about how clear the image on the left is - it's more about how many white dots you have on the right (and their location).

Doing fourier transforms on the left image, filtering out color channels, and using the right image as a mask is what will reveal the URL to the next "prize".

-------
I know some people have scripts that save the images every 5 minutes, but is there any way to write a script to "activate a node" every five minutes? The current scripts aren't adding dots; if we had something that automatically enters the diamond solution/password, we could pass that script around and make it easier to maximize participation.

It's not about how clear the image on the left is - it's more about how many white dots you have on the right (and their location).

Doing fourier transforms on the left image, filtering out color channels, and using the right image as a mask is what will reveal the URL to the next "prize".

-------
I know some people have scripts that save the images every 5 minutes, but is there any way to write a script to "activate a node" every five minutes? The current scripts aren't adding dots; if we had something that automatically enters the diamond solution/password, we could pass that script around and make it easier to maximize participation.

Wait, that's exactly what I thought. What I meant by the image getting clearer is the right image with all the little dots was coalescing into an actual image, an infinity loop. When amatecha said it was decreasing, it was increasing for me.

Wait, that's exactly what I thought. What I meant by the image getting clearer is the right image with all the little dots was coalescing into an actual image, an infinity loop. When amatecha said it was decreasing, it was increasing for me.

The right image isn't going to form an image. It's created by taking an invisible globe of the earth and putting a white dot at each "activated node" (i.e. an IP address that solved the diamond puzzle within the last 5 minutes). Kind of like this, except in 3-D:

The globe rotates slightly every 5 minutes, producing a slightly different source image.

The source image is chopped up, mirrored, duplicated, etc. to form what we see. The "infinity" shape is just a coincidence from how the IP dots and image manipulation turns out.

You can sort of see Florida in this gif:

I don't have any filtered images post-push yet. I can't browse bungie.net, reddit, or 4chan from my current location - GAF and Twitter are my only sources currently.

From Bungie user Ulicies:

http://i.imgur.com/g6ygucy.jpg

So I've figured out, as I'm sure most others have, that the position of Wednesday's is not the assumed position from my linked image, but in fact one star up. The two stars share a position and a line between them that is only shared in one exact position on the constellation.

Edit:

Ok.. so I've been looking at the image located here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9a9a1eec15fgwrf/finalMaskedOutput.png which I got from the Bungie post here (the OP in the section labeled with today's date): https://www.bungie.net/en-US/View/community/Forum/Post?id=59798855.

It appeared to me that the left and right sides were not revealed in a perfectly symmetrical way. So I used Gimp to make a copy of just the left side, then rotated it 180 degrees to stake it on the right side and it filled in the image ever so slightly. The result was this:

Yup. Though it does appear that the dropbox I got the original from is auto-updating as more images geomasks are found that fit. We just need people to keep hitting the site throughout the day to keep compiling geomasks that should hopefully fill in the missing nodes over time.

Hmm. You're probably right.

Edit: My current guess would be /95088_ _ _ _ _ 8314_985.jpg

Has anyone compiled a .gif of the geocache images today? Could be useful in trying to figure out where we need people to access this site from. That chunk on the bottom/top is messing up everything!

Top Bottom