• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what jrpg are you playing right now ?

Really, worth the 20 bucks? How's the story?

Looks like it has a pretty traditional combat system, which is definitely a plus. Some mobile RPGs just have the weirdest fucking systems. Or are plain P2W, of course.

I'm about 7 hours in (I heard this game is about 40 hours long) , so far the story seems interesting, I'll don't know how it'll pan out but it has me hooked for now.

Yes the combat is pretty traditional like the older final fantasy but then you have these "Cards with souls of ancient hero's" that give you different skills/stats and you can swap in combat just like switching Persona's.

But it's a quality made game, the type many would easily blow $40 on if it was for Ps VITA or 3DS

aravuus

I'm about 7 hours in (I heard this game is about 40 hours long) , so far the story seems interesting, I'll don't know how it'll pan out but it has me hooked for now.

Yes the combat is pretty traditional like the older final fantasy but then you have these "Cards with souls of ancient hero's" that give you different skills/stats and you can swap in combat just like switching Persona's.

But it's a quality made game, the type many would easily blow $40 on if it was for Ps VITA or 3DS

Doesn't sound too bad at all! I might check it out soon

Anyone have recommendations of JRPGs on Android? No microtransactions or Squeenix ones. Just ones with some meaty gameplay and a half decent story. Do they exist?

Jay Sosa

Finished Growlanser III, absofuckinglutely loved every minute of it, great story, lovely characters, great gameplay/battle system (for instance the ability to cast spells BEFORE a battle starts,why isn't this in every JRPG?) very fun and creative story battles, allows you to get to know your party members better, lot's of interesting 'side stuff' and so on and so forth.

Only downside is the somewhat boring dungeon design (and the music NEVER changes..NEVERRR) and the fact that you can easily miss very important stuff so you almost have to play through it multiple times (which is a strange design decision in a JRPG imho). It does have a NG+ option which let's you keep some of your stuff.

I give it 4 rings out of 5.

Imho one of the more under-appreciated games, hardly see it ever mentioned when it comes to the genre's greats. It certainly is in my Top 10 JRPG list now.

Labadal

Finished I Am Setsuna. Took me 20 hours to beat the game. Unlocked a lot of locked chests, but I don't know if I unlocked them all. It was a decent attempt but in the end it falls flat.

It has good music, I like the snowy environments, character designs are good. The general atmosphere of the game is solid. The combat system is good, not hard when you basically copy paste Chrono Trigger. There was a decent amount of skills, weapons and their upgrading was sufficient. I liked the talisman system.

The problem is that the game suffers from a poor story. It has some of the most naive characters in a game ever. Setsuna is portrayed as a selfless person and if done right, it would have been great. it just doesn't work here. I have never seen someone as naive as her and it annoyed me so much. Some characters are decent. Combat is way too easy. I basically had no problems throughout the game except for one boss. While I liked the skill setup, I found a combination of combos that broke the game. I can choose not to use them, but I am of the opinion that using the best way to deal with enemies is the way I am going to do it. Towns were a bit boring and getting the ship slightly before the end of the game was so-so.

It was a decent first effort, but the studio needs to up their game for whatever they are working on next.

Just started FFX on PS4 for the first time. Can't believe how great it looks still for a PS2 game. Was going to play VII but decided to check out X first. Glad I did but kinda regret going with the expert sphere grid on my first play through. Have no idea what I'm doing lol. I've read up on how to best spec my builds but have no idea how to actually do it. Guess it'll make more sense once I actually have other characters to level other than Tidus. Just got past the Sphere grid tutorial so I'm not very far in anyway.

Should I stick with the expert grid or start over with the normal one since I'm not very far anyway?
It doesn't matter that much. There's more overall points on one of the grids I think the regular.

You can still direct each character according to their normal class on expert.

But Yea normal grid is simpler for first play I'd recommend that starting over

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Still plugging through Bravely Second. The game is so much like FFV. Awesome battle system, your imagination goes wild thinking about job/ability combinations. But the actual story and locations are absolutely nothing special. I always like Bravely art style, but about 20 hours in the game (Ch.2?) and I've seen almost every location in the previous game. If there are different locations, its so bland and generic you wouldn't tell the difference.

I'm debating picking up Pokémon SuMo this week. But my biggest concern is that the game will be too easy and not challenging enough. Ive heard to just play the game with Exp Share Off to make it more of a challenge... does anyone else recommend the game for non-competitive but challenging game?

My whole weekend has pretty much been devoted to Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker (NISA sale in EU). Played Devil Survivor 2 back on the DS but never finished it, so I've gotten further on from previously this time and gotten totally addicted. Story and cast are both enjoyable, music is better than Devil Survivor 1: Overclocked's OST and the gameplay seems better too (maps are better designed, plus we get to explore a lot of proominent areas outside of Tokyo for a change, like
Osaka and Nagoya
). Bosses are unique for SMT as well, since they're all pretty much aliens instead of demons (at least I think they are so far). Solid game.

Finished Growlanser III, absofuckinglutely loved every minute of it, great story, lovely characters, great gameplay/battle system (for instance the ability to cast spells BEFORE a battle starts,why isn't this in every JRPG?) very fun and creative story battles, allows you to get to know your party members better, lot's of interesting 'side stuff' and so on and so forth.

Only downside is the somewhat boring dungeon design (and the music NEVER changes..NEVERRR) and the fact that you can easily miss very important stuff so you almost have to play through it multiple times (which is a strange design decision in a JRPG imho). It does have a NG+ option which let's you keep some of your stuff.

I give it 4 rings out of 5.

Imho one of the more under-appreciated games, hardly see it ever mentioned when it comes to the genre's greats. It certainly is in my Top 10 JRPG list now.

Not played III yet, but glad to hear it's so good. You played the other Growlanser games? Such a shame we've never got 1 since a lot of the Japanese fanbase claim it's the best one. IV is amazing too though, you should play that if you haven't already.

Still plugging through Bravely Second. The game is so much like FFV. Awesome battle system, your imagination goes wild thinking about job/ability combinations. But the actual story and locations are absolutely nothing special. I always like Bravely art style, but about 20 hours in the game (Ch.2?) and I've seen almost every location in the previous game. If there are different locations, its so bland and generic you wouldn't tell the difference.

I'm debating picking up Pokémon SuMo this week. But my biggest concern is that the game will be too easy and not challenging enough. Ive heard to just play the game with Exp Share Off to make it more of a challenge... does anyone else recommend the game for non-competitive but challenging game?

I found that playing on Set and the EXP share off turned out to be satisfying enough, though the game saves most of the absurd combos for the post game facility.

If you are that concerned about difficulty, you could just hold off for the rumored Stars version since they tend to rebalance (usually increasing the difficulty in the case of Emerald, Platinum and BW2) the game for third versions anyway.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I found that playing on Set and the EXP share off turned out to be satisfying enough, though the game saves most of the absurd combos for the post game facility.

If you are that concerned about difficulty, you could just hold off for the rumored Stars version since they tend to rebalance (usually increasing the difficulty in the case of Emerald, Platinum and BW2) the game for third versions anyway.

What is on "Set" ? And they never did a Pokémon Z... but I agree there are already big rumors about Stars that its pretty much guaranteed.

What is on "Set" ? And they never did a Pokémon Z... but I agree there are already big rumors about Stars that its pretty much guaranteed.

"Set" is a mode in the option menu of Pokemon games that prevents you from Switching out in single player trainer battles when you KO a pokemon. This is also how the game works in Multiplayer battles and how the battle system was balanced around.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Got FFXV on Saturday so I've been putting time into that. Just made it to Duscae. Game seems a bit better than I expected so far, though I hope XVI will go back to something a bit more traditional.

Also I'm up to the Dragonlord's Castle in DQB, gonna finish that some time this week.

And currently hunting for every character's crystals in Exist Archive, though I'm gonna put this on the backburner while I concentrate with FFXV. The battle system is great but the asset reuse is comically bad, so if I play a lot of it in one sitting I get burnt out fast.

rhandino

Banned
Playing Trails of Cold Steel rn

I think I have 50 hours into the game and I am at Chapter 3 and just arrived to
The Nord Highlands
and I am enjoying every single hour of it.

So far:

+ Combat system is really interesting and I am enjoying it a lot more than the one in TiTS.
+ Characters are all well rounded and charming.
+ NPC that have their own personal stories and whose dialogue change after every important event! Love when games do that a lot.
+ The settings is really great and I want to now more about Erebonia, the people, the cities and their culture in general.
+ THIS MUSIC IS EVERYTHING I NEED IN MY LIFE RN! lakd;lkjasd;lakjsd;lasjda;lskjd

+/- The Persona-like parts of the game felt like a distraction but at least allow me to know more about the characters and NPC of Thors.

- Graphics are OK at best and terrible at worst with some really questionable textures (that grass "texture" in Thors... *pukes)
- Animations are kind of wonky (The animation of Rean running with the Umbrella is loltastic)
- Voice are hit and miss and there are some incredible questionable decisions about which lines are voiced and which aren't (There are cutscenes in which everyone has a voice except Rean and then you have scenes in which everyone named has voices but not random NPC in the same scene! What in the world?)

So far I am really enjoying it and while the presentation can be hit and miss because it was their first game at this scale they more than compensate by having a great setting with enjoyable characters and a cool battle system.

Jay Sosa

Not played III yet, but glad to hear it's so good. You played the other Growlanser games? Such a shame we've never got 1 since a lot of the Japanese fanbase claim it's the best one. IV is amazing too though, you should play that if you haven't already.

Only played the other one from the PS2 collection (wayfarer of time? no actually it was Sense of Justice) which was also neat but not nearly as good as the third.

Thanks, will try to get my hands on G4 asap!

Just saw it's PSP only. Not too fond of playing rpgs on that tiny screen..but what can you do.

Only played the other one from the PS2 collection (wayfarer of time? no actually it was Sense of Justice) which was also neat but not nearly as good as the third.

Thanks, will try to get my hands on G4 asap!

Just saw it's PSP only. Not too fond of playing rpgs on that tiny screen..but what can you do.

It's on Vita too (via PSN). I'd like a PC port as well so I could output it on to a big screen and for a new lease of life, but this is Atlus we're talking about here.

Also, don't bother with V on PS2, at least until you're really desperate for another Growlanser game, what little I've played of it is not good, at all. :(

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I just bought Pokemon Sun. And I'm still playing Bravely Second. And I never finished my replay of Xenoblade 3DS.

... I guess this is what a backlog feels like.

ImboSlice

Just startet up SMT4:A after beating Pokemon Moon last night. Really happy about it. Sun/Moon is refreshing and great and I'm propably gonna revisit, but I got burned out at a certain point.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Just startet up SMT4:A after beating Pokemon Moon last night. Really happy about it. Sun/Moon is refreshing and great and I'm propably gonna revisit, but I got burned out at a certain point.

I played SMTIVA for a couple hours... Man the music is so good!! I'm not sure about that combat system. It's pretty slow moving and not alot of presentation to them. Coming from Pokemon and Bravely and Fire Emblem, SMT seems so ,static.

mrlion

Currently playing Persona 3: FES doing the Round 1 Max S.Link guide. So far its going good, had to restart about 3 times though and I nearly messed up a link but got that fixed (Hanged Man) the guide sometimes is not clear on some things which caused that mess up but its still pretty fun to follow it.

I am going to do the same with Persona 4 after I finish this one.

djtiesto

My friend and I were playing Farland Story and Linkle Liver Story on the Saturn last night.

Farland Story is an SRPG reminiscent of FE, with really small sprites, great music, really goofy CG rendered super-deformed battle models, and real screechy, annoying SFX. Pretty fun game and a bit easier than FE (no permadeath).

Linkle Liver Story is one of my favorite Saturn games, it's an overhead action RPG reminiscent of Zelda or more accurately, Crusader of Centy (since it's also done by Nextech). All of the characters are furries living in the woods (the lead char is a pink haired girl with fox tails who dashes real fast). It's got a great aesthetic, vivid colors that pop on my new (old) CRT and some funky jams.

ImboSlice

I played SMTIVA for a couple hours... Man the music is so good!! I'm not sure about that combat system. It's pretty slow moving and not alot of presentation to them. Coming from Pokemon and Bravely and Fire Emblem, SMT seems so ,static.

Have you played SMT4?
I just finished that like 4 weeks ago and, at the start, was put off by the somewhat crude combat, too, but actually grew to love it with a burning passion :)
All in all I adored SMT4 for it's refreshing take on... I'm not sure what to call it. Gameplay economy? I never burned out on an area, a type of quest, combat, story or whatever. Mixed with it's serious tonality (that's super hard to come by in JRPGs I feel) won me over heavily.

redcrayon

Just finished Trails of Cold Steel 2. It was enjoyable enough but the repetitive pacing felt like a bit of a disappointment after I'd been looking forward to it all year. Combat is great though.

My copy of SMTIV:A arrives next week so I'm looking forward to that.

neohwa

Persona 5. Liking it a lot more than previous games because of dungeons not randomly generated anymore. Puzzles and themes for each dungeon so far are great for a jrpg.

Bladenic

Is it actually good? Seems like everyone instantly forgot about it the instant it was released.

Will have to keep an eye out for it during the Steam sales.

It's a good time waster for 20 hours or so. It tries WAY too hard to be an RPG of ages past that it doesn't do much in carving out its own identity. But I enjoyed my time with it well enough, would like to see more from that developer.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Is it actually good? Seems like everyone forgot about it the instant it was released. e: redundant morning sentence

It's OK... It's obvious that the game is on a budget (just look at the dungeons and "diversity") but it's fine.

pbayne

Finished ys memories of celceta. Felt very by the numbers in a lot of ways. I really like the gameplay of ys games in general but i think the less plot/characters they try to implement the better. Can't deny i was a bit bored by the end and the last boss and subsequent ending was laughable.

Moving on gonna try to finally get through Trails 2 and Cold Steel 2 before Persona 5 hits.

Fou-Lu

Finished FF15. Feel empty in the best way possible. Not sure what I'll play next. Part of me wants to play something immediately to refill my drained mind. Part of me wants to just sit and think.

djtiesto

Is it actually good? Seems like everyone forgot about it the instant it was released. e: redundant morning sentence

It has its flaws, and it's not comparable to the classics it's aping, but it's still a lot of fun. Very emotional journey with lovely music. Just wish there was a bit more variety in settings and the dungeons didn't overstay their welcome towards the end of the game.

Made it to disc 2 on Xenosaga Ep II. I spent like 2-3 hours doing side content and still cleared it in like 12 hours...

I liked the battle system until enemies started spawning on opposite sides. I don't really like that wrinkle to the game at all.Combos are really fun though and I think when you're fighting a single enemy it's more interesting than the first game. Which is just a poor man's xenogears.

but the past two day I haven't really felt motivated to continue. Hopefully tonight I'll feel like making a bit more progress. The story really hit the fast forward button on after disk one. Feels like it just skipped through a 3rd of the game lol

Necrovex

Made it to disc 2 on Xenosaga Ep II. I spent like 2-3 hours doing side content and still cleared it in like 12 hours...

I liked the battle system until enemies started spawning on opposite sides. I don't really like that wrinkle to the game at all.Combos are really fun though and I think when you're fighting a single enemy it's more interesting than the first game. Which is just a poor man's xenogears.

but the past two day I haven't really felt motivated to continue. Hopefully tonight I'll feel like making a bit more progress. The story really hit the fast forward button on after disk one. Feels like it just skipped through a 3rd of the game lol

Xenosaga 3 is one of my favorite RPGs of all time. It's truly an amazing swan song to the series.

Fou-Lu

Trying to decide which of the following to play next:

Vagrant Story
Soul Blazer
Lunar 2
Xenosaga Episode I
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Crisis Core

Lothar

Banned
If you liked Lunar 1, then Lunar 2 is a no brainer. Soul Blazer and Vagrant Story are alright. I didn't like Xenosaga Episode 1 at all and didn't finish it.

Soul Blazer and Vagrant Story are alright.

SACRILEGE! =P

VS has some of the best dialogue you'll ever find in a video game, and some very mature story telling. Gameplay can be obtuse though, so I completely understand why some people don't get into it =)

I started FF2 a few days ago on my Vita. FFXV left such a bad taste that I figured this would be the best time to try and actually one of the only three FF games I've never finished (1 and 3 being the other two). So far, it's alright. Crazy parallels with XV's story actually - techno-loving aggressive empire invading the rest of the world, four heroes forced to flee their home, and the entire invasion is handled by pre-game CG instead of gameplay =P

Nose Master

Not sure if it counts, but shining force 2. Nearing the end, I think. Game is so good.

I've beaten it a handful of times, and just realized you *do* have to equip rings. The prompt shows up after re equipping your weapon. >:|

dreams

Playing through Chrono Trigger with my sister. We've never actually played it before, and she got it for Christmas I think last year? I'm actually shocked at how great it is.

Xenosaga 3 is one of my favorite RPGs of all time. It's truly an amazing swan song to the series.

I hear. That and my own personal love of Xenogears are why I'm doing this to begin with lol

Trying to decide which of the following to play next:

Vagrant Story
Soul Blazer
Lunar 2
Xenosaga Episode I
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Crisis Core

I like most of those. I'd place Lunar 2 + Soul Blazer as highest priority and Skies of Arcadia + Crisis Core as lowest.

VS and Xenosaga Ep 1 both have pretty great stories, but really obtuse game mechanics that aren't really that fun even when you understand them.

Top Bottom