• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

linko9

I've been searching for a few hours, maybe somebody here can help me. I apologize for the vague descriptions.

1) 95% sure it was a NES game
2) you play a boy character
3) I'm pretty sure it's know as one of the hardest/cheapest games to complete (I was watching a speedrun one day)
4) I remember lots of water and possibly a beach in the first level
5) jumping on bubbles may be in the game??
6) it had an AMAZING soundtrack (well, for the first level at least)

Sounds like Silver Surfer.... sort of.

ComSR

Neo Member
Help me remember... It was a DOS game on a 386 computer in the early 90's. It's a side scrolling platformer. The character always jumps like it's in moon gravity.
You control a robot-looking character (maybe ?) and one of the levels has upright logs you need to jump over and avoid/shoot the bats. Another level takes in outer space. It's not Duke Nukem 1 nor Commander Keen.

It was on the Sega genesis (maybe nes) sidescroller/platforms. I remember this kinda cool intro. Two characters. One in blue. One in red. 2 boys I think. Not gunstar heroes lol. Might of been ninjas or something.
Chiki Chiki Boys, probably.

I've had two games that have been difficult for me to find; as far as I remember they were both on the old PC Gamer demo disks that were given away in the magazine (not likely the same issue).

Anyhow, one I believe was a vehicle combat game of some sort, but I recall being on some sort of futuristic bike similar to tron, or it at least had a futuristic vibe. I don't think it was a racing game, but rather an arena shooter, and I remember there being a fairly distinct death sound. The aesthetic I think was tron inspired as well with neon lights. I may be remembering it completely wrong as I was a little kid when I played the game.
This probably isn't it, but.. Tanarus? Was that ever on a PCG disc?

I might have asked in this topic already but dont think an answer was given.

Friend had a game where i believe the goal was to climb a mountain. I remember snow on said mountain, and flags having something to do with gameplay/goals.

This is an old game, as i would have played it on his computer back around the early 90s, before snes had came out i believe.

Was on a 5 1/4 floppy. Disney/mickey mouse may have been in it, but might not, memory is fuzzy.
Do you have any idea if it was a PC game, or if it was some other platform? Apart from the 5 1/4" floppy part that gameplay description makes me think of Alpiner for the quite old (late '70s-early '80s) TI-99/4A computer, but that's not likely right, too early (and it's usually a cartridge game too). Maybe there's some similar PC game?

Friend had a game where i believe the goal was to climb a mountain. I remember snow on said mountain, and flags having something to do with gameplay/goals.

Maybe Treasure Mountain or Treasure MathStorm?

treasure-mathstorm_12.png

Nephilim

Banned
Gunstar Her--

Oh.

Um, Super Ninja Boy for the SNES then?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Ninja_Boy

Chiki Chiki Boys, probably.

Do you have any idea if it was a PC game, or if it was some other platform? Apart from the 5 1/4" floppy part that gameplay description makes me think of Alpiner for the quite old (late '70s-early '80s) TI-99/4A computer, but that's not likely right, too early (and it's usually a cartridge game too). Maybe there's some similar PC game?

I never had a snes so it wasnt super ninja. chiki boys was a good guess... i dont think it was that tho..hm

BooJoh

This is an old game, as i would have played it on his computer back around the early 90s, before snes had came out i believe.

Was on a 5 1/4 floppy. Disney/mickey mouse may have been in it, but might not, memory is fuzzy.

Matterhorn Screamer starring Goofy https://youtu.be/s1tGRZfW9E0?t=52

Vashzaron

Would anyone know of a Racing game on either N64/GC/Xbox/Dreamcast (it's one of these I'm 99% sure) where it kinda allowed you to go "out of bounds" but it didn't really try to stop you as it expected you to faithfully just follow the track?
I remember going over water like it was just normal ground and going so far out of the map that you got terraforming glitches where the terrain had huge drops up and down.

gergstep

Neo Member

Doesn't seem to be the game I mentioned! For some reason I remember it being some sort of futuristic vehicle, rather than tanks; I wish I had a better recollection of what it was like since my vague memories aren't all that helpful.

I might just have to go through all the old PCG discs I have :p

RTS game for the Windows PC, late 90s or early 2000s when there was an influx of a ton of RTS games.

i think it took place in a post-apocalyptic setting. i remember there were jeeps that you could upgrade and they were actually called technicals (first time i heard the term used). there were a bunch of factions or gangs that you could side with. for some reason, i remember this game taking place in post-apocalyptic america. Thanks.

Eliseo

This game has been bothering me for quite some time, it was a basketball arcade game 2 vs 2, had a brazilian team, american team, korean team and the last team were 2 aliens. Game was similar to street hoop, hope any of you guys can remember ;__;

I used to love playing this Sega Genesis platformer with a caveman that would jump around and hit people with a club and pick up hams to regain health.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
RTS game for the Windows PC, late 90s or early 2000s when there was an influx of a ton of RTS games.

i think it took place in a post-apocalyptic setting. i remember there were jeeps that you could upgrade and they were actually called technicals (first time i heard the term used). there were a bunch of factions or gangs that you could side with. for some reason, i remember this game taking place in post-apocalyptic america. Thanks.

Sounds like Krush Kill 'N Destroy or it's sequel.

wreckml

It was a game on the NES (I think, COULD be SNES but idk). I was young so my memory is hazy, but it was a colorful, 2D sidescrolling platformer. Character is somewhat similar to Kirby, the level im thinking of was on the water and I'm pretty sure you could like attach yourself to the bottom of obstacles and roll along them to get into hidden areas for items. (think similar to spider ball in metroid games)

I have searched and searched for this game but I can never find what exactly it was :(

EDIT: i think i found it! It might have been Kiwi Kraze. I'm not sure how accurate my description was because I dont see any water in screenshots on Google (and cant confirm the 'spider ball' mechanic), but i think this is the game haha. I could even be mixing up 2 diff games in my head, I was like 4 at the time) I could never find it before because it apparently also went by "The New Zealand Story"

Vandole

It was a game on the NES (I think, COULD be SNES but idk). I was young so my memory is hazy, but it was a colorful, 2D sidescrolling platformer. Character is somewhat similar to Kirby, the level im thinking of was on the water and I'm pretty sure you could like attach yourself to the bottom of obstacles and roll along them to get into hidden areas for items. (think similar to spider ball in metroid games)

I have searched and searched for this game but I can never find what exactly it was :(

Maybe Ufouria?

300x.jpg

Jucksalbe

Banned

Not sure about the rest, but a character similar to Kirby makes me think of Mr Gimmick.

Help me remember... It was a DOS game on a 386 computer in the early 90's. It's a side scrolling platformer. The character always jumps like it's in moon gravity.
You control a robot-looking character (maybe ?) and one of the levels has upright logs you need to jump over and avoid/shoot the bats. Another level takes in outer space. It's not Duke Nukem 1 nor Commander Keen.

Crystal Caves?

(also better than the 2 games you mentioned imo)

Sounds like Command & Conquer: Generals to me.

Phediuk

EDIT: i think i found it! It might have been Kiwi Kraze. I'm not sure how accurate my description was because I dont see any water in screenshots on Google (and cant confirm the 'spider ball' mechanic), but i think this is the game haha. I could even be mixing up 2 diff games in my head, I was like 4 at the time) I could never find it before because it apparently also went by "The New Zealand Story"

Smartball for the SNES?

For years I've been trying to remember the name of an old Macintosh point and click adventure game that took place mostly underground, I think? It had colorful, somewhat cartoony graphics and I think there might have been a plant-growing mechanic, or some puzzle involving balls. It was installed on all of the iMacs in my elementary school computer lab and everyone always wanted to play it. For some reason I feel like the game was called Spelunker but Google doesn't turn up any results.

ActWan

The game I was trying to find was a game where there's a dude, walking in a forest, in 2D, and he was finding amulets and shit, and there was a talking tree (Like, you've entered the tree, and there was a face inside of it).
There was a level I was stuck in, with a bridge or river, under a cave I needed to pass...

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it!

The game I was trying to find was a game where there's a dude, walking in a forest, in 2D, and he was finding amulets and shit, and there was a talking tree (Like, you've entered the tree, and there was a face inside of it).
There was a level I was stuck in, with a bridge or river, under a cave I needed to pass...

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it!

Sounds very much like The Legend of Kyrandia (skip 'til just after the seven minute mark).

Ezalc

I don't know if this game ever came out but I remember people being really interested in it when the 3DS was being shown off.

It's like a room game where you could change the perspective around of the camera that would let you solve puzzles and find items in it. I believe it centered only on that, changing the perctive a bit to look around the diorama room in 3D but I can't seem to remember the name.

Anybody know this game?

I don't know if this game ever came out but I remember people being really interested in it when the 3DS was being shown off.

It's like a room game where you could change the perspective around of the camera that would let you solve puzzles and find items in it. I believe it centered only on that, changing the perctive a bit to look around the diorama room in 3D but I can't seem to remember the name.

Anybody know this game?

Is it Pushmo?

BooJoh

Anybody know this game?

Are you thinking of Looksley's Line Up for DSiWare?

chronosic

I'm thinking of a space multi-player combat game for PC that was out late 90s I think. It was birds eye view. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Doesn't seem to be the game I mentioned! For some reason I remember it being some sort of futuristic vehicle, rather than tanks; I wish I had a better recollection of what it was like since my vague memories aren't all that helpful.

I might just have to go through all the old PCG discs I have :p
Hmm... this is probably wrong, but what about Redline? It's part post-apocalyptic arena car combat, part FPS. And it did have a demo on PCG US's May '99 issue. (On that note, what years are you thinking the disc is from, any idea?)

I'm thinking of a space multi-player combat game for PC that was out late 90s I think. It was birds eye view. Anybody know what I'm talking about?
Subspace, later known as Continuum, is the best guess here.

BooJoh

This is it! Ah man, I was hoping I was mistaken in that I actually thought it might have been for DSiware when I was trying to remember the name. Such a shame it's not available on 3DS it looks so charming.

It is available on the 3DS eShop, but only in its DSiWare form, so it's obviously not in stereoscopic 3d and suffers from the inferior hardware of the DSi and can be a bit sluggish and finicky (as it was on the original DSi hardware.)

duckroll

Yeah without more details, I'm going to say Subspace too. It the top down online mulitplayer space shooter everyone who had internet in the 90s played. Loved it!

mclem

For years I've been trying to remember the name of an old Macintosh point and click adventure game that took place mostly underground, I think? It had colorful, somewhat cartoony graphics and I think there might have been a plant-growing mechanic, or some puzzle involving balls. It was installed on all of the iMacs in my elementary school computer lab and everyone always wanted to play it. For some reason I feel like the game was called Spelunker but Google doesn't turn up any results.

Given you thought it was called Spelunker, that has to be Spelunx.

I remember a game that you play as little wizard (ant-like creature) who builds blocks. You make one block at a time. The game is on SNES.

Might well be Troddlers.

Situacao

So, me and some friends were talking about animal games, and I've just remembered a trailer I saw of a game in which you could control several animals in a First-Person perspective. I remember it showed the player controlling a crow, among other animals. The trailer was fairly recent and it was coming out on PS4.

I can't seem to find anything about this game. Does it exist or was I just dreaming?

So, me and some friends were talking about animal games, and I've just remembered a trailer I saw of a game in which you could control several animals in a First-Person perspective. I remember it showed the player controlling a crow, among other animals. The trailer was fairly recent and it was coming out on PS4.

I can't seem to find anything about this game. Does it exist or was I just dreaming?

I'm not sure if it's what your thinking of, as I've not seen much of it, but Michel Ancel is making a game called WiLD for PS4, where you play as animals.

Top Bottom