• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

aktham

50"+ go with Panasonic plasma

I still have mine from 2008 and running like a champ. (50 inch PZ700 I think)

I'm planning to purchase the 65 inch version of the ZT60 at some point, especially if it's the last year for plasmas from Panasonic. OLED looks very promising and exciting. The Vita screen really spoiled me :p

I would disagree with the notion that it's better than OLED.

What would make you say that?

Its a matter of opinion, but quick motion appears better to me on Plasma, and OLED is still first gen tech, which i generally avoid because it's bound to have random issues. OLED is also expensive.

I suppose "better" wasn't the right word for me to use. Let me revise that to say Plasma is the best bang for your buck.

Well I could never recommend an LCD so we're even.

Please back up your claims! I'm guessing you're going to claim black levels and motion resolution. Fair enough.

But here are my criticisms of plasma:

- ABL circuits: Noticeable by everyone who has seen my TV almost within the first few minutes! The screen dims the brightness on bright scenes and returns to normal when a darker scene is displayed. This is visible during the day and during dark room viewings. This is NOT like your typical clouding or ghosting of LCDs/LEDs which are NOT discernible during content display. The brightness jumping up and down is noticeable by people who aren't even AV enthusiasts.

- Image dithering: Horrible horrible artifacts that are visible even as close as 5-6 feet. I sit 6.5 feet from my GT30 plasma. And every time I get up from the sofa I notice image dithering instantly. And I like to game closer to the TV for immersion purposes. So this is a major disadvantage for me. Just like the ABL this is instantly noticeable by people who come visit my place and hear things like "Why does your screen look weird?"

- IR: I prefer my picture with spruced up contrast and brightness. If I crank the dials up I start getting IR shortly after. To keep things safe I have to keep everything on low settings which results in a picture that doesn't suit my tastes. And I cannot leave the higher contrast and brightness settings because my family will watch various programs in 4:3 a lot or programs with tickers or symbols/logos on-screen that are static for hours straight. Fear of burn-in is very real... contrary to what plasma fanatics tell you on the internet.

LordCanti

Just asking again, but does anyone know if there's a possibility of a 120Hz TV on the horizon?

One that can accept 120hz input? I really doubt it.

Please back up your claims! I'm guessing you're going to claim black levels and motion resolution. Fair enough.

- ABL circuits: Noticeable by everyone who has seen my TV almost within the first few minutes! The screen dims the brightness on bright scenes and returns to normal when a darker scene is displayed. This is visible during the day and during dark room viewings. This is NOT like your typical clouding or ghosting of LCDs/LEDs which are NOT discernible during content display. The brightness jumping up and down is noticeable by people who aren't even AV enthusiasts.

- Image dithering: Horrible horrible artifacts that are visible even as close as 5-6 feet. I sit 6.5 feet from my GT30 plasma. And every time I get up from the sofa I notice image dithering instantly. And I like to game closer to the TV for immersion purposes. So this is a major disadvantage for me. Just like the ABL this is instantly noticeable by people who come visit my place and hear things like "Why does your screen look weird?"

- IR: I prefer my picture with spruced up contrast and brightness. If I crank the dials up I start getting IR shortly after. To keep things safe I have to keep everything on low settings which results in a picture that doesn't suit my tastes. And I cannot leave the higher contrast and brightness settings because my family will watch various programs in 4:3 a lot or programs with tickers or symbols/logos on-screen that are static for hours straight. Fear of burn-in is very real... contrary to what plasma fanatics tell you on the internet.

There was an issue with brightness jumping at the beginning of the ST30/GT30 model year, but as far as I know, it got patched out. Are you on the latest firmware? My ST30 doesn't do that at all. As for image dithering, I can't notice it at all on my 55" from my viewing distance (approximately 6-7 feet). Five feet away is very much a special case, as that is closer than most people would sit. From that distance, I could see the screen door effect on an LCD, and I'm not sure which inherent flaw is visually worse.

The IR on my set doesn't last anywhere near as long as it does on yours either. That may just be luck on my part in terms of winning the panel lottery, but my IR goes away very quickly by comparison.

I've still not found a tv that matches my Pioneer Plasma. The Kuros' were a different breed. Also, don't forget to get your tv calibrated correctly. I know some people think its a waste of money, but the difference in IQ is astounding.

Dead

well not really...yet
I recently bought a TV, decided to stay away from Plasma as the downsides are quite annoying, especially when put together:

- higher weight and thickness
- more fragile due to the glass panel
- less suitable for bright rooms (due to the glass panel again)
- higher power draw
- fear of burn-in (yes I know new Plasmas are less susceptible, but I don't want to be worrying about that)
- more noise (due to cooling fans) and possibility of buzzing

It's too early for OLED, so LED was the only real choice for me. Bought a Samsung LED and I'm really happy so far :)
Current gen plasmas are barely thicker and heavier. Its such a small difference.

Energy usage same. Its a small increase.

Several model plasmas have panels which greatly reduce glare which make them ok for bright rooms.

Burn in is such a minute possibility that its not even worth mentioning and image retention is barely noticeable in most cases.

There's no reason whatsoever to buy an LED-LCD when you can get a Plasma which performs far better at most likely a lower price.

Korezo

I have the same plasma the GT30 but it's a defective unit because it had image retention issues but I didn't care because I was able to get a refund and stay with the tv.

The only issue I have is image retention, but since I got this tv for free, I am stress free of giving a damn about IR. I abuse this GT30, when I play games some image retention stays there for months but so far they all have gone away. But it is annoying, so far no burn in after a year. And the dithering I got over it right away, I only notice it on the color white or while playing console games that run 30fps. I never see Dithering when watching high quality content and I sit like 5 feet away from the television.

The defect of my GT30 is that the panel gets IR instantly, If a text or logo/ any kind of hud even a graphic picture gets displayed on screen it instantly got IR. I would always have to use the scrolling bar.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

I suppose the problems you are discussing do actually apply to some plasmas. I use a Pioneer Kuro Elite which suffers from none of them.

First of all, there were a batch of Panasonic plasmas (mostly 2011 models) with faulty ABL circuitry which results in incorrect brightness shifting that is more severe than it should be. Are you sure your plasma does not fall into this batch? ABL should not be noticeable to the point that everyone is commenting on it. If you're seeing those effects something is wrong with your TV as ABL should not result in such severe shifts.

The Pioneer has ruler flat gray scale (professional monitor grade), fantastic gamma performance, accurate colors at all brightness levels, none of the awful Panasonic dithering (which I absolutely hate), and the deepest contrast ratio in any display I've used (both absolute black and ANSI). The "jumping brightness" you refer to is not an issue with the Kuro and is not something you will notice while in use (ABL circuitry is, of course, present but the effect is minimal). ABL was present in CRT displays as well, it should be noted. Also, using the ISF modes allow you to essentially "unlock" the plasma and raise the maximum brightness while mitigating the effects of ABL almost completely.

Image dithering is different from PWM noise that plasmas exhibit. Every Panasonic based plasma I've tested (including those from B&O) suffers from these flaws and they are indeed distracting. You will not find this issue with the Kuro.

Image retention is another area where the Kuro is strong in that you can leave a static image on screen for hours without a negative side effect. Obviously not the case with other plasmas.

So I guess that brings me to my issue: there is no replacement for the Kuro. If my display fails I will have nowhere to turn. Panasonic plasmas are not good enough for my use and I cannot stand LCDs.

LCDs rely entirely on a backlight in order to create colors (including black). You can make use of locally dimmed LED cells to minimize this effect but that only enhances blacks when displaying video black. LCDs have to rely heavily on dynamic circuitry to essentially "hide" its flaws by constantly adjusting various areas of the screen to compensate for the content on screen.

Motion handling also remains poor regardless of the fresh rate with extremely visible trails appearing as a result of the sample and hold technology used to drive these panels. You cannot eliminate this and it has not been.

LCD subpixels also tend to be very sharp which is great for reading text but unfortunate for gaming and movie applications. I prefer the results of plasma subpixel arrangement.

It's almost hard to list the specific points of failure but I know that, when I sit down with an LCD, the negatives all stick out like a sore thumb. Sure, the highest

The fact is, there are some displays which do things very well but there is only one display that does EVERYTHING well and that's the problem. There are areas where the Kuro has been beaten but none of those displays can match it in other areas. I would love to own a larger display and have options for replacement in case of failure but, at the moment, there isn't anything. I've done extensive testing with modern plasmas and LCDs and, while they've made strides in some areas, the overall result just doesn't match up to what I'm looking for. So I'm waiting for OLED in hopes that LCD will eventually be driven away.

By the way, a very well known professional display calibrator who goes by the name "D-Nice" over at AVS Forum has been quoted saying this;

I'll answer your question theis way:

I can have any display out there yet I own 5 Kuros with zero plans to replace them with any PDP from Panasonic, Samsung or LG... or any LED LCD currently on the market. Another individual's wallet and/or priorites can and will be different than mine.

...and I couldn't agree more. It's the best consumer display on the market even if it's no longer officially "on the market".

el_dorifto

Neo Member
well I guess I'm a convert myself. After some years with LCD panels I'm thinking of switching to Plasma. My latest tv from 2011 Samsung, with it's horrible input lag makes fast paced games like NFS Most Wanted almost unplayable with the normal settings like calibrated movie or Standard. Game mode looks bad.
But there's problems with Plasmas same as with LCD's. You get banding, DSE, even more banding, flashlighting etc etc with LCD.
Plasma - IR, Banding and that's about it AFAIK.
Just waiting till new VT60 goes on sale, to get one. lol

I'm in quite a pickle. My TV (Sony Wega 37") is on the fritz. I would like to get another plasma but the most I can go is 50". I don't know if I should get myself a Panny or wait it out and get something else.

dark10x

well I guess I'm a convert myself. After some years with LCD panels I'm thinking of switching to Plasma. My latest tv from 2011 Samsung, with it's horrible input lag makes fast paced games like NFS Most Wanted almost unplayable with the normal settings like calibrated movie or Standard. Game mode looks bad.
But there's problems with Plasmas same as with LCD's. You get banding, DSE, even more banding, flashlighting etc etc with LCD.
Plasma - IR, Banding and that's about it AFAIK.
Just waiting till new VT60 goes on sale, to get one. lol
If you can swing it (if anyone were actually to consider this make sure it's a 2nd gen Kuro which performs significantly better than the first both of which I've owned):

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=pioneer+kuro&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

amar212

PLASMA Forever™

I have 2006 Pioneer 508XD (it is not even FullHD nor Kuro) and it is by far the greatest gaming TV ever produced. Thousands of gaming hours and still no retention, great black and only one dead pixel. Magnificent set.

I hope how everything will be fine in 12 months so I can jump on my planned purchase, Panasonic 65ST60 in Feb 2014.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I'll keep buying plasma's till they quit making them. All TVs have draw backs but I can live with the plasma draw backs more easily. The motion on even the best LCD/LED TVs are completely unacceptable for things like sports. The viewing angles are still a sore thumb with LCD/LED.

moka

It depends on where the TV is going to be placed and when you are going to play the most really.

If you are playing a lot in the dark then plasma is deffinately the way to go but if you play during the day when there is a lot of light, then an LED or LCD might be a better option.

I prefer plasmas because they produce gorgeous pictures and I hear the response times on them are usually much lower than their LED/LCD counterparts? I've currently got a 48" Panasonic.

2MF

Current gen plasmas are barely thicker and heavier. Its such a small difference.

Energy usage same. Its a small increase.

Several model plasmas have panels which greatly reduce glare which make them ok for bright rooms.

Burn in is such a minute possibility that its not even worth mentioning and image retention is barely noticeable in most cases.

There's no reason whatsoever to buy an LED-LCD when you can get a Plasma which performs far better at most likely a lower price.

Energy usage seems to be at least 50% higher, that's not a small increase. There is a reason why Plasmas use cooling fans, it's because they use more energy and therefore must necessarily get hotter.

Weight is at least 50% higher apparently (actually I'm being generous there because the 60'' Plasma I just compared is 67% heavier than my 60'' LED).

Burn in does not seem like a minute possibility, every thread about TVs at GAF shows even Plasma-enthusiasts talking about retention and burn-in.

Jack_AG

Banned
BenQ 24" gaming monitor. LED. 8ms video latency (closest to CRT so far). 2ms response. Brilliant picture.

Then get yourself a good set of cans and a comfy chair and really immerse yourself. Something more personal about a monitor over a TV I've noticed. Can't wait for my TV to DIAF so I can pick up another gaming monitor so I can triple-screen my PC games and enjoy next-gen consoles in all their glorious 1080p fidelity with the input latency almost as low as CRT.

dark10x

Energy usage seems to be at least 50% higher, that's not a small increase. There is a reason why Plasmas use cooling fans, it's because they use more energy and therefore must necessarily get hotter.

Weight is at least 50% higher apparently.

Burn in does not seem like a minute possibility, every thread about Plasmas at GAF shows even Plasma-enthusiasts talking about retention and burn-in.
It's true, energy usage is definitely higher (though not all plasmas use active cooling). That said, power fluctuates depending on load while LCD power consumption remains relatively flat. Of course, power consumption is at the bottom of my "important" list when it comes to display tech (I still own two giant CRTs for retro gaming, after all).

Weight is not 50% higher, however. Plasmas have become much thinner and lighter as of late. Again, I have to ask, why does this really matter?

Burn-in is an annoying issue. The Kuro, as I've noted, conquered this problem in 2008 but it's true that other plasmas right up until now still suffer from IR and potential burn-in. It's a pretty serious issue that I've almost completely tossed aside simply because it doesn't apply to my plasma. It's a real consideration to make, however.

Weight, depth, and energy consumption are all useless to me in the face of poor picture quality, however.

daemissary

Is there a specific Panasonic Plasma model I should be looking at if I want to go 65"+ but don't care about 3D or smart tv capabilities at all?

Basically what is the cheapest Panasonic model that isn't sacrificing quality in my eyes?

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
DLP projector

can't go back once you go 100"

Texas Instruments has the new Tilt & Roll Pixel (TRP) Pico projector chip that increase mirror tilt angle by 50% and this type of improvement might be in the cards for larger DLP projectors. This will help improve contrast ratio.

Researchers have found by mimicing the belly of fireflys the brightness of LEDs can be increased by nearly 50%. I'm not sure is this will help the photonic lattice style LEDs but if does this is exciting potential for single chip DLP LED projectors.

I just ordered the P50VT50 from Panasonic like five minutes ago. :) Supposed to be the best TV of 2012. Really can't wait, my 5-year-old Samsung LCD TV has crazy ghosting and it got fairly annoying. I was afraid of buying a plasma TV because of image retention and the occasional flickering, but the picture quality and lack of ghosting/input lag etc. are definitely worth the risk.

Any advice for a newbie plasma owner? I'm thinking about just setting it to the THX image and maybe start tweaking some stuff after 200/300 hours.

I'm so ready for next-gen now, it'll be awesome.

LordCanti

I just ordered the P50VT50 from Panasonic like five minutes ago. :) Supposed to be the best TV of 2012. Really can't wait, my 5-year-old Samsung LCD TV has crazy ghosting and it got fairly annoying. I was afraid of buying a plasma TV because of image retention and the occasional flickering, but the picture quality and lack of ghosting/input lag etc. are definitely worth the risk.

Any advice for a newbie plasma owner? I'm thinking about just setting it to the THX image and maybe start tweaking some stuff after 200/300 hours.

I'm so ready for next-gen now, it'll be awesome.

Easy mode: THX
Hard mode: Find D-Nice's calibrated settings on AVSforum and run the slides for X amount of hours (I forget the exact number. 100 maybe?) to evenly wear the phosphors.

HylianTom

Banned
I have a 60" Samsung plasma that looks absolutely dreamy with the Wii U. Older games look decent on it as well. It'll be a loooong time before I ever buy another TV, most likely.

Pociask

Haven't seen it talked about it in here, but how bad is the effect of a brightly sunlit room on a plasma? TV right now is in a room with lots of windows - even with the blinds closed, it definitely impacts the CRT I've got. Are we talking completely unwatchable, or just not optimal?

Asimov

Banned
Haven't seen it talked about it in here, but how bad is the effect of a brightly sunlit room on a plasma? TV right now is in a room with lots of windows - even with the blinds closed, it definitely impacts the CRT I've got. Are we talking completely unwatchable, or just not optimal?

That's the only thing I don't like about my Plasma TV. The image quality, black levels, response times... everything is superb.

But the glare... oh, the glare. You practically have to watch the TV with no direct sources of light in front of the set. Otherwise, you will see all the reflections. It's not a problem now with my setup, but you need to plan ahead.

It's not unwatchable, but it is not optimal.

Velinos

I love my Panasonic TH-42PX80U except it kinda sucks as a PC monitor. I have to set up a custom resolution that still does not line up exactly. I am keeping my eye on the new ZT60s, especially since they are expected to possibly dethrone the Kuro. For those who have more recent versions of Panasonic plasmas than I do, have they gotten better with PC input to the point where you could use them as a primary monitor? If so, then I am definitely picking one up when they come out.

LordCanti

I love my Panasonic TH-42PX80U except it kinda sucks as a PC monitor. I have to set up a custom resolution that still does not line up exactly. I am keeping my eye on the new ZT60s, especially since they are expected to possibly dethrone the Kuro. For those who have more recent versions of Panasonic plasmas than I do, have they gotten better with PC input to the point where you could use them as a primary monitor? If so, then I am definitely picking one up when they come out.

My ST30 (from last year) 1:1 pixel maps at 1080p. I'd be shocked if any of the models in the current line weren't capable of the same.

i-Lo

PLASMA Forever™

I have 2006 Pioneer 508XD (it is not even FullHD nor Kuro) and it is by far the greatest gaming TV ever produced. Thousands of gaming hours and still no retention, great black and only one dead pixel. Magnificent set.

I hope how everything will be fine in 12 months so I can jump on my planned purchase, Panasonic 65ST60 in Feb 2014.

You what is the biggest annoyance, bar none gaming on a plasma? Image Retention (not burn in). It really drives me up the wall when I see no HUD Opacity option. I have Panasonic 58VT25 and quality of things are just breathtaking but I can never play with enough contrast enabled in most games out of that fear.

Reallink

Like Dark mentioned, you are likely describing "Fluctuating Brightness" here, a known fault Q1/Q2 build date XX30's shipped with in varying degrees. Some of them were really really bad, sounds like you've got one of the duds. Panasonic fixed it under warranty with an A-board replacement for people who called in complaining, but I imagine that has long since expired by now. They actually had a software fix (that first party techs could apply), but couldn't distribute it as apparently they weren't able to secure which could possibly open their FW to hacking. Normal ABL behavior isn't noticeable barring a side by side with an LCD and displaying near solid white imagery.

Is there a specific Panasonic Plasma model I should be looking at if I want to go 65"+ but don't care about 3D or smart tv capabilities at all?

Basically what is the cheapest Panasonic model that isn't sacrificing quality in my eyes?
The TC-PxxU50 sounds like what you're looking for. Unfortunately it performs best under low light conditions and only has 2 HDMI inputs.

ak1976

Neo Member
I have a 55'' LG 3DTV (55LW5300) and I have to put it in game mode and then change the hdmi input name to "PC" so that the TV is tricked into thinking its receiving the signal via PC. Definitely helped with the lag when I had to search the AVS Forums on lessening the input lag for this particular tv...I always thought 3dtv's had great processing power but I guess not for mine...

spannicus

I have basically the same TV as you, OP. Except the 46" 3D version. Very nice black levels.
Nice I have no idea why mines Didnt come with 3D and the 55" does. I'm in love with this TV and cant really say anything bad about it. Hows the 3D on yours?

LordCanti

Like Dark mentioned, you are likely describing "Fluctuating Brightness" here, a known fault Q1/Q2 build date XX30's shipped with in varying degrees. Some of them were really really bad, sounds like you've got one of the duds. Panasonic fixed it under warranty with an A-board replacement for people who called in complaining, but I imagine that has long since expired by now. They actually had a software fix (that first party techs could apply), but couldn't distribute it as apparently they weren't able to secure which could possibly open their FW to hacking. Normal ABL behavior isn't noticeable barring a side by side with an LCD and displaying near solid white imagery.

I made damn sure that my Plasma was manufactured after whatever date was said to be the last of the effected models produced.

I have a 55'' LG 3DTV (55LW5300) and I have to put it in game mode and then change the hdmi input name to "PC" so that the TV is tricked into thinking its receiving the signal via PC. Definitely helped with the lag when I had to search the AVS Forums on lessening the input lag for this particular tv...I always thought 3dtv's had great processing power but I guess not for mine...

The more "processing" a TV has to do, the more lag there is going to be.

Happy with 1080p DLP projector, it's done over 7000 hours on the first lamp (rated 5000h), sharp as a TV, great motion and colour.

I want to go 3D at some point.

lmpaler

DLP projector

can't go back once you go 100"

It's the mirrors....

I think my only gripe with my Plasma is sometimes, albeit rarely, I get this weir artifacting on the screen when I game. The only way I can explain it is the TV is trying to load the image on the screen, but it hasn't fully recieved the data yet. And it only happens on subtitles from what I have seen, and I only saw it maybe twice when playing on Far Cry 3 as the scene was loading with the subtitles. It's hard to describe and I haven't seen it since.

Thraktor

If money's no object, then this bad boy. Not out for a couple more months as far as I know, but should have better image quality than anything else out there.

Just asking again, but does anyone know if there's a possibility of a 120Hz TV on the horizon?

Extremely unlikely. There's no 120Hz content out there, and as far as I'm aware HDMI doesn't even support 120Hz at the moment. You're better off waiting for a decent sized 120Hz monitor.

Just out of curiosity, can 60Hz 3D monitors/tvs be used as 120Hz 2D monitors/tvs?

Like do they just straight up work like that or do have to fiddle with drivers.

LordCanti

So I won't be buying until this fall so things will change, but is this what you guys are recommending?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panason...HDTV/5025164.p?id=1218599349389&skuId=5025164

For $1500 (which is right at my budget) it looks amazing. 3D and internet ready.

I would (and did) spend $500 less (at least) and get the ST instead of the GT. This was last year though, so you'd have to check that the ST50 calibrated as closely to a GT as the ST did last year.

I think I ended up paying $900.

Just out of curiosity, can 60Hz 3D monitors/tvs be used as 120Hz 2D monitors/tvs?

Like do they just straight up work like that or do have to fiddle with drivers.

No, it won't work at all.

spannicus

So I won't be buying until this fall so things will change, but is this what you guys are recommending?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panason...HDTV/5025164.p?id=1218599349389&skuId=5025164

For $1500 (which is right at my budget) it looks amazing. 3D and internet ready.

960 New plus free shipping so Im sure you could get it for less when you are ready this fallhttp://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00752VLB8/ref=sr_1_6_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1362006881&sr=8-6&keywords=panasonic+viera+55+1080p+3d+plasma+hdtv&condition=new

Top Bottom