• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Fularu

Banned
RGB cable for PS2 will also work with a PS1... I have one cable for both machines! Same power cable too, so you can technically place the PS1 on top of a Phat PS2 and hot swap very easily.

The thread on PS2 disc lenses dying has made me finally want to go down the HDLoader router. I have a phat PS2 (Canadian launch model) whose laser is practically dead. I also have a Free McBoot memory card, and a network adapter.

To me, it looks like the easiest hook up would be IDE 40 pin to 44 pin adapter + 44 pin to SD adapter. I could easily tuck both of those into the HDD bay, and run games from the SD card. I've seen a few mentions of this working on other forums, anyone have any experience using this method?

I would rather suggest a PATA to SATA adapter and using a 1 tb 2.5" HDD

BTails

I would rather suggest a PATA to SATA adapter and using a 1 tb 2.5" HDD

My one concern going the HDD route is that an SD card would be much easier to load games onto, having an iMac (with Windows installed as well) and no HDD enclosure.

Besides, I'd probably never use it for more than a couple games at a time.

My PS2 is actually set up for HDLoader. I got it to play the Sega Ages games so it was a requirement. The whole process was such a pain though. I wish there was some other way of going about it. I don't even know where the external drive I was using is anymore. I'm going to pick up a PS2 next time I go to Japan so it's less of a hassle.

It is super nice to have two PS2s. I also use my JP one to play JP DVDs when I don't feel like firing up VLC.

Fularu

Banned
RGB cable for PS2 will also work with a PS1... I have one cable for both machines! Same power cable too, so you can technically place the PS1 on top of a Phat PS2 and hot swap very easily.

The thread on PS2 disc lenses dying has made me finally want to go down the HDLoader router. I have a phat PS2 (Canadian launch model) whose laser is practically dead. I also have a Free McBoot memory card, and a network adapter.

To me, it looks like the easiest hook up would be IDE 40 pin to 44 pin adapter + 44 pin to SD adapter. I could easily tuck both of those into the HDD bay, and run games from the SD card. I've seen a few mentions of this working on other forums, anyone have any experience using this method?
how much is the ps2 rgb cable?

i'm using component over bvm but like to get that extra...

I would bet like a million dollars that's just one of the chinese knockoffs. You really don't want to use that full assembly. Like the laser itself is fine but the rest of it is not made very well, and removing + reinstalling the laser into an OEM assembly is a bit of a pain.

Also there are like 6 different models of that laser so be careful before you order.

Eh, I'm not even entirely positive it is the lens. I bought this system because it came modded and I only wanted it to play backups and imports, which it does about 50% of the time. Other times it boots to the main menu of whatever homebrew shit this thing is running on. Sometimes it just hangs on the black background PS logo. I don't really care enough to replace the laser if it isn't a guaranteed fix and I sure as hell don't want to sink money into a console I don't even really like that much.

It was somewhere between 30 and 40 USDs when I bought it. Plus, you can only feed it Taiyo Yuden flavor CDs, so it's like a shitty pet that's a picky eater, has some sort of disease, and bad vision. I probably should just put it down, but its still somewhat lively.

televator

Y u gise still hook up your PS2 for? It's old and all the games I care about are remastered. Next, I'll hear people still play on a real NES. That'd be crazy. WatYearIsIt.jpg

:p

Y u gise still hook up your PS2 for? It's old and all the games I care about are remastered. Next, I'll hear people still play on a real NES. That'd be crazy. WatYearIsIt.jpg

:p
Speaking of which, why hasn't Sony rerelased every game on PS4? I sell everything when something new and shiny comes along, it's called being thrifty, so I really need to rebuy all these games again so I can sell them to off to LameStop 6 months later for 10cents on the dollar at best. Sony, get on it!

Anth0ny

Don't be silly. Having the games sit on your shelf is far more enjoyable then actually playing them!

Some PS1 games are rough to go back to if you havnt played them in a few years.

He's right you know.

Spending ridiculous amounts of money on a boxed copy of a game > virtual console for cheap

i'm broke

Khaz

You guys are so lame. The only real way to play older games is on the original hardware. Rereleases are just emulation (eugh) and that adds just so much input lag it's completely unplayable. And the pixels are so ugly that you need a real CRT from Europe with a French plug. If you don't have one, you're just a fake enthusiast.

And digital releases miss everything that is good from these old games, the real cartridge or CD wih a real box and real manual that you can read! I mean I can't because I buy all my retro games sealed to keep them on my shelf, but I could!

Fularu

Banned
Coming to Canada made me appreciate growing up in France with RGB and Scart everywhere that much more

I had no idea video signals were that shitty over here

Laws00

Lol at this ps2 nonsense. Someone is going to make a claim saying why their pa3/Xbox 360 is still hooked up when we got ps4s/xbox1 out

So I got my ever drives

All I need is a decent crt tv. I never knew finding them in 2nd hand stores was a pain. Everyone seems to have hd flat screens

My other thing is buying accessories for everything. I think I got that covered though. I'm not interested in buying expensive ass sticks for snes and genesis. I'm also scared about buying pc engine stuff, but that's the life I choose.

You can get a mod board for the network adapter that changes it from IDE to Sata, and then buy an inexpensive sata drive. The shittiest part is not having the hard drive rails to hold the hard drive in place. I ended up making like little duct tape balls that I put in there to hold the hard drive in place. Other than that installing the Sata mod was insanely easy and it just works.

Laws00

I say that as I find these 2 things for seemingly for 40 bucks basically 20 each............lol

s-l1600.jpg

Lol at this ps2 nonsense. Someone is going to make a claim saying why their pa3/Xbox 360 is still hooked up when we got ps4s/xbox1 out

So I got my ever drives

All I need is a decent crt tv. I never knew finding them in 2nd hand stores was a pain. Everyone seems to have hd flat screens

My other thing is buying accessories for everything. I think I got that covered though. I'm not interested in buying expensive ass sticks for snes and genesis. I'm also scared about buying pc engine stuff, but that's the life I choose.

Ouch, that hit me hard, haha. Soon I will be on the hunt for a crt tv at the local thrift store or St. Vinny's. But for the time being, it's my trusty fat ps3 60gb that will help me out for ps1 games.

Fularu

Banned
I have one of those too. I never use it because I only really play platformers and RPGs on the SNES.
Fun thing was that it retailed for 50 Fr when I purchased them back in the day (one for my MD one for my SFC). That's about 8$ with a straight conversion

What's the best deal you guys have gotten for a retro game?

I let my local game store borrow my Sega CD so they could test a bunch of games and they let me buy Snatcher for the price they paid for it which was $80.

I let my local game store borrow my Sega CD so they could test a bunch of games and they let me buy Snatcher for the price they paid for it which was $80.

i got Thunder force V psx CIB for 45 bucks... not sure if that's ok, but i thought it was decent.

Tain

Thunder Force V Saturn and Burning Rangers, $15 each. Both around 1998-1999, when you could get import Saturn games at your random-ass local midwestern mall lol.

I also got Gunstar Heroes cart-only for like $5, seems solid. Not crazy about the game, though.

BTails

Damn i never find great deals like this guy did!

http://imgur.com/a/sneoW

The last image always kills me, when he opens the expansion pak bay.

I've really slowed down on the Retro in the past few years, moving more to Evercarts and the like, so I haven't been actively searching for deals. I did get some really cheap Saturn games though over the past year: Magic School Lunar and Dead Fear, for probably about $3 CAD each, shipped.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The last image always kills me, when he opens the expansion pak bay.

I've really slowed down on the Retro in the past few years, moving more to Evercarts and the like, so I haven't been actively searching for deals. I did get some really cheap Saturn games though over the past year: Magic School Lunar and Dead Fear, for probably about $3 CAD each, shipped.
never seen the picture before but i almost pissed myself.
people trying to 1 up each other in threads. haha

I did the same thing retro game collecting is way to expensive these days. 60 bucks for pal super metroid cart only gtfo.
I everdrived all my systems so i still get the 1:1 experience,
And all the games that won't work i just buy from scalpers.

currently eyeing a neogeo aes and that aes flashcard

I thought it was also a dev unit that would run dev code, and yeah seriously that's crazy she was just burning them. The fumes from that old paint and ink on them must have been horrible.

Fularu

Banned

CiB Hagane for 5$ CND

Free Panzer Dragoon saga PAL (well not exactly free, just a trade for 3 CDRs at the time, they were still prety rare)

Still my collections best deal is when my Dad got me a SNES copy of Chrono Trigger for $3NZ (about $1.50US) lol.

I think it was 1999-2000, around that time. It was crazy enough to even find a NTSC/U copy around here at all (never came out in PAL) let alone at that insane price. I couldn't believe it, still can't really, remains a "Remember when that happened lol." story between us even to this day!

I guess the store just assumed it was import junk no one round here could actually use, good thing I had a NTSC console already. Played that thing sooo much!

He also got a perfectly boxed new copy of Terranigma from a music store that was closing down, so random! I had never seen it before locally but at least that one made sense being here as it was a PAL game. My sister loved playing it, years later I would actually learn how 'special' a release it really was.

My Dad rocks! <3

Laws00

Those Snes and genesis sticks are all and good but I just don't care for them unless is for collecting wise.

It's when the PlayStation era and Xbox one when I saw the value them with games being arcade to near arcade perfect

Top Bottom