• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

ahdurian

I didn't like the food at the Apron. I don't know why, but it tasted really off to me. Daebaek is overpriced, but I think they price it towards non-Koreans. Like San Soo Gab San has been there forever, so it still caters to the Korean crowd.

Bonchon lines were fine. But like I said, the service is really weird. My waitress, a non-Korean, kept trying to correct my Korean pronunciation of ddukbokki. I ordered it, and she said "Its ttokbokki. It is pronounced with a 't'" Being mildly annoyed, I pronounced it properly again, and she tried to correct me again. Then she asked if we wanted "traditional Korean cheese" on it. And upon asking her to repeat, she went into the long history of Korean cheesemaking. Then, she really tried to push us to order something, we didn't want to order and, I just had to tell her to get us a new waitress.

I didn't see Touts Les Jour, but I wasn't looking for it.

as a (half-)Korean, whenever situations like that occur, i just let the waiter/waitress say it however they want
as long as i get the food i want and it's quality, i could careless how they want to say the names of my dishes

it also may be that I'm too used to it as a good number of Korean restaurants in Toronto are owned by non-Koreans

zeemumu

Why? My friends swears on buying stuff on Amazon's UK site for preorders

I'll keep my eye on future preorders but my odds are low. I got into this one by pure luck of my friend informing me on discord the moment it happened

Order still says processing so we'll see if it was a blatant lie

My parents never bothered me about getting married, even though they do all the other stereotypical stuff. Probably because I'm a dude and I have 2 other brothers, they don't give a crap. Though I do send them money here and there, so I guess in a way they don't feel they have any leverage to complain.

I was robbed last weekend...robbed of pig ears. My cousin had 2 pigs on a spit for his wedding, and my brother and I busted our ass helping set up and stuff. And mofos got to that thing first, even if their old ass doesn't help because their back is getting blown out. It's funny at weddings when old people go up to me and tell me how they are related but I honestly don't remember and just act like I care. They mixup my name and my brothers all the time so they obviously have as many fucks to give as I do.

Ugh.... I hate that too re: people getting to your food before you do, lol. I like eating the fat when it comes to meats, and when I turn my back away it's gone?!?!?! I won't get too mad but, I still get upset and I fibd a beer or take a shot hah!

Re: older relatives and whatnot, I'm similar, but I have a really bad memory so names are gone pretty fast :\ I'm not trying to be disrespectful/rude, but I just can't remember names. I recognize faces more easily though..... Sorry.

If it's any consolation, the bride and groom don't usual get to eat much at all at weddings.

Well, they seem to make up those calories in alcohol.

I was also surprised that the wedding I went to had actual bartenders, they got close to a grand in tips from drunk people dropping bills into the jar. My cousin said it's because they needed a liquor license, so that's why he hired his bride's bartender friends to run it. Which was hilariously enlightening to me, because years ago I help run the bar at a family wedding in NY pro-bono (and I didn't get the tip jar too).

Goofalo

Eating brunch with family and I am checking on my nieces. They both point and me and start chanting "Stranger danger!! Stranger danger!!" In a crowded restaurant in the suburbs. WTF nieces...

Goofalo

I don't think they understood what it meant in that context. They were pointing at each other and yelling it and laughing all morning. But they went off to catch a Pokémon and I went to watch over them, and that when they busted it out. I damn near had a heart attack and basically gave myself whiplash looking over each shoulder. Their mom thought it was hilarious too.

Family.

I don't think they understood what it meant in that context. They were pointing at each other and yelling it and laughing all morning. But they went off to catch a Pokémon and I went to watch over them, and that when they busted it out. I damn near had a heart attack and basically gave myself whiplash looking over each shoulder. Their mom thought it was hilarious too.

Family.

Youarealreadydead.gif

Family.

Well do they look anything like you? If my half mexican niece said that to me in public, I would be in pretty deep shit haha.

Izuna

Banned
Eating brunch with family and I am checking on my nieces. They both point and me and start chanting "Stranger danger!! Stranger danger!!" In a crowded restaurant in the suburbs. WTF nieces...

916dlu58XkAMhPYhYoQ8JPvTSf0YtcZr8bGxsMu43bQPdywhNAfsITUZt-j8IG3k7kz77JSKIWoKkpgcNs_hAiXy-OJliQ5JztWWzuMul6KmdfV5q4kRK8vhtrElMcaDN85Utjy0

SRG01

LOL

A few months ago, one of my cousins scared my nephew so much because he didn't recognize my cousin at the time. Felt kind of bad for the cousin.

dramatis

What's Keeping Asian-American Lawyers From Ascending The Legal Ranks?
In the study, Liu shows that though Asian-Americans are the fastest-growing minority group in the legal field, there's still a stark lack of Asian-American lawyers in top positions in this country.

In 2015, 10 percent of graduates at the top-30 law schools were Asian-American, according to the study. Yet they only comprised about 6 percent of federal law clerks and 4 percent of state law clerks. Compare that to white students, and you'll see a striking contrast: 58 percent of students from top-30 schools were white, but still landed 82 percent of all federal clerkships and 80 percent of all state clerkships.
The study also pointed out that there's a dearth of Asian-American lawyers in public service roles:
"It is notable that few Asian Americans appear motivated to pursue law in order to gain a pathway into government or politics. ... Greater penetration into these public leadership roles is critical if the increasing number of Asian American attorneys is to translate into increasing influence of Asian Americans in the legal profession and throughout society. A major challenge is to encourage Asian American lawyers to pursue public service roles and to eliminate barriers for those who do."​
When asked to break out the data further by ethnicity, Xiaonan Hu, one of the researchers, told NPR that she noticed Filipino-American and Indian-American respondents were more likely to say they enrolled in law school to work in government or politics than, say, Japanese-American or Korean-American respondents. Two percent of respondents who were Japanese-American and 3 percent of Korean-Americans ranked the entry into government or politics as a top motivator for going to law school, compared to 11 percent of Filipino-Americans and 5 percent of Indian-Americans.
Something to think about.

My parents met my girlfriend's parents last week. The fight for the bill was quite underwhelming; my dad got up to get more water, taking the bill with him. We're regulars at the joint so we were paying regardless.

They repaid the favour a few days later so it was all good. I even managed to snatch the bill once while out with them; it pays (literally) to sit on the outside.

Zoe

Korean food question: anybody have a recipe for yurimgi (yuringi)? I can only find one English source and it looks nothing like what my local restaurant serves.

(Haven't actually tried it yet, wanted to know what to expect first)

Llyranor

This is what I could find https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1a7vrW7-2k

It's in Korean, but the video is short and clear, and the recipe is listed on the video description. What google-translate says:

※ material:
Chicken breast, lettuce 4 zoom, onion, wave. pepper
- Preparation: 1 tablespoon of sake, salt, pepper a little
- Deep-fried batter: starch powder, cooking oil 1, water, egg white 1
- Sauce: Sugar 2, Lemon juice 2, Vinegar 2, Water 4, Soy sauce 5, Par 3, Chopped garlic 1, Cheongyang red pepper 1, Cheongchu 2, Red pepper 1

1. Chicken, salt, and pepper to give the chicken meat.
2. Mix starch powder, cooking oil, and egg whites. If you put water, adjust the concentration. (If you fry at home, the more the dough is diluted, the better the fry)
3. Deep-fried chicken breast meat.
4. Mix the amount of the source materials together to make the sauce.
5. Tear off the thinly sliced ​​onion and lettuce and spread on a plate. Cut the fried chicken with scissors and sprinkle the finished sauce.

EDIT: Oh, here's the same video in English https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL3NjX5tgYU

Goofalo

So my mother's explanation about the lack of yuringi in my life:

"You love fried chicken. Your whole life, you love any chicken that is fried. You would always want it and I would want to make it for you. But it sometimes takes too much work. So I never made it for you."

Man. She's not wrong. I could feel the love she had combined with how tiring it must have been to raise me. When I asked if she would make me some next time I came over.

"Buy us another car. It doesn't have to be big."

And then that feeling died a little.

So..... I finally told one of my older sister's about my depression. It turned out..... *sighs* fine, but she kept trying to deflect my depression and started playing Depression Olympics..... That hurt, alot. I told her about all those times I couldn't get out of bed and those times I tried to drink myself to death and she kept deflecting to how I need to just force myself to do something. It tells me that she doesn't really understand how my depression works.

She kept telling me about how she tried to kill herself and how she has it worst than I did..... How she just forced herself to overcome it. I keep telling her that my depression doesn't just work like that and how it gets worse when you force yourself to do stuff, but she kept on deflecting it :(

We cried together and shared stories and I never felt such a huge relief though. Mental Health really does need more awareness. So if you know somebody like me and my sister, don't be afraid to speak up! A simple conversation can help a person who is depressed 👍 For me, personally, all the secrets and hiding just being revealed definitely helped to lighten the load and it really helps since I don't have that much money.

So..... I finally told one of my older sister's about my depression. It turned out..... *sighs* fine, but she kept trying to deflect my depression and started playing Depression Olympics..... That hurt, alot. I told her about all those times I couldn't get out of bed and those times I tried to drink myself to death and she kept deflecting to how I need to just force myself to do something. It tells me that she doesn't really understand how my depression works.

She kept telling me about how she tried to kill herself and how she has it worst than I did..... How she just forced herself to overcome it. I keep telling her that my depression doesn't just work like that and how it gets worse when you force yourself to do stuff, but she kept on deflecting it :(

We cried together and shared stories and I never felt such a huge relief though. Mental Health really does need more awareness. So if you know somebody like me and my sister, don't be afraid to speak up! A simple conversation can help a person who is depressed 👍 For me, personally, all the secrets and hiding just being revealed definitely helped to lighten the load and it really helps since I don't have that much money.

I'm glad that you got to share that with your sister. I know how it is to break through that barrier with another person, especially with family. It sucks that maybe she didn't get it completely, but it sounds like she tried. And it sounds like it was good for you. That sounds like a net positive and I hope good things continue for you.

I'm glad that you got to share that with your sister. I know how it is to break through that barrier with another person, especially with family. It sucks that maybe she didn't get it completely, but it sounds like she tried. And it sounds like it was good for you. That sounds like a net positive and I hope good things continue for you.

Thanks! It was a conversation that needed to happen sooner or later, right? It's such a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. I told her that I'll watch her and she should watch my drinking habits. I've noticed that I have been reducing how much I am drinking now, but one night or day..... It'll just show up out of nowhere and that's what I'm worried about.

cdyhybrid

For all your American AsianGAFfers- are any of y'all genuinely concerned about the state of the US (in terms of wealth disparity?). The more I seem to hear about the direction of the US, especially in that the middle part of the US, the uneducated people, that are pulling our nation down towards corrupt third world status because they support policies that do so, the more I'm concerned there's literally no turning back at this point. There's no fixing it. So... for the sake of my future, my future children... I'm honestly wondering if we'd be better off emigrating to a different country where there's better social nets and more education and progress.
I'm genuinely concerned, but I don't think it's beyond fixing yet. Let's see where we are in 2018 or 2020.

That said, I wouldn't blame anyone for moving if the situation is right.

zeemumu

For all your American AsianGAFfers- are any of y'all genuinely concerned about the state of the US (in terms of wealth disparity?). The more I seem to hear about the direction of the US, especially in that the middle part of the US, the uneducated people, that are pulling our nation down towards corrupt third world status because they support policies that do so, the more I'm concerned there's literally no turning back at this point. There's no fixing it. So... for the sake of my future, my future children... I'm honestly wondering if we'd be better off emigrating to a different country where there's better social nets and more education and progress.

From a social/economic standpoint there's always time to walk it back. The only factor is how much time it's gonna take to walk it back and what the odds are that someone's going to try and hamper that progress. The current state of things is a shitshow for the higher ups so at the very least they'll want to walk it back to manageable evil, and it'll be up to the rest of us to push them out of that direction entirely and back towards a path that'll be beneficial to the middle and lower class.

As far as moving elsewhere, I don't think it's hit "bail out" points yet.

I am concerned but not to the point that I would consider leaving. I think we will gradually drag the baseline toward progress, but it's never going to move as quickly as we'd like, and there will be a lot of back stepping.

I do think that being born under Reagan and then coming of age during Bush II and now living under Trump gives us a pessimistic outlook, but I'm confident this bad time will pass.

hirokazu

From an outside perspective, I think there are fundamental problems with political funding and the political system in general, as well as the ingrained American culture - things like American exceptionalism and blind support for unfettered capitalism - that will take a long time to be corrected, if it's even possible to do so.

EDIT: Come live in Australia! We have better education and healthcare! And we're less racist! I think! (New Zealand is probably a better place to be right now, but shhh.)

Top Bottom