• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
apparently djokovic is holding a press conference next week. since it's probably not sharapova redux, he will probably just take some time off for the elbow, i would guess.

of course it's a total drama queen move if it's only for the rest of the season. just do it on twitter or something.

That's kind of strange if he's announcing an announcement, but yeah it would be surprising if it was anything other than what you said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRs_B2td5kg&feature=youtu.be

that smug face is making me so mad.

dude you don't even have THAT much money.
he'll probably be on of those guys who attempts a comeback in his mid-late thirties because the money has run out.

Or go on a dating show for cash...

*cough* Philippoussis

MV5BNTk1NTMxODk1MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDA4NDM1MQ@@._V1_UY1200_CR128,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

that bad?

she could at least win a set right?

She's an amazing tennis player but she would be lucky to win a game against Fed. A set is out of the question. Men vs women in tennis is factually a world apart, at elite professional levels anyhow.

The only real cross gender match without point advantages or allegations of match fixing or not playing their most competitive was 1998: Karsten Braasch vs. the Williams sisters

Another event dubbed a "Battle of the Sexes" took place during the 1998 Australian Open[51] between Karsten Braasch and the Williams sisters. Venus and Serena Williams had claimed that they could beat any male player ranked outside the world's top 200, so Braasch, then ranked 203rd, challenged them both. Braasch was described by one journalist as "a man whose training regime centered around a pack of cigarettes and more than a couple bottles of ice cold lager". The matches took place on court number 12 in Melbourne Park, after Braasch had finished a round of golf and two beers. He first took on Serena and after leading 5–0, beat her 6–1. Venus then walked on court and again Braasch was victorious, this time winning 6–2.[55] Braasch said afterwards, "500 and above, no chance". He added that he had played like someone ranked 600th in order to keep the game "fun".[56] Braasch said the big difference was that men can chase down shots much easier, and that men put spin on the ball that the women can't handle. The Williams sisters adjusted their claim to beating men outside the top 350.

Check out "Battle of the Sexes"

If you've ever seen top sprint speeds for the women and compared them with the men, or seen the differences in spin they hit with, you'd know why. Halep had the fastest top speed by the above measurement, at 22kph. Djokovic, fastest for the men, clocked 36kph. That's a 63% difference.

Diamond

What would happen if Serena really played Roger

is it really a blowout, or do you guys think it would be a competitive match

espnw_serena_federer_d1_800x450.jpg

It's not even a debate really. Men have a (maybe unfair but natural) physical advantage and even if Serena would beat 99% of male tennis players out there, when pushed to the limit, male athletes will always have a significant edge. So yeah, she would probably lose against a good part of the top 1000 of the ATP. Which, again, is a ridiculously small sample of all the men who play tennis out there, but still.

This McEnroe story really is a non-issue. I mean you can clearly see one side not accepting a clear difference that doesn't erase at all what Serena and other female champions have achieved, and the other eager to explain in every way possible (often with dumb examples, I've seen a youtuber say that he could beat Serena with a few weeks of training, because he was a man and she was a woman. Clearly he hasn't played tennis ever) that men are STROOOONGER, primarily to reassure themselves that it's true. Neutral people, which are the clear majority, just watch tennis and enjoy.

Edit :

The only real cross gender match without point advantages or allegations of match fixing or not playing their most competitive was 1998: Karsten Braasch vs. the Williams sisters

See this Braasch example is typically what irritates me in this "debate". Ok, he was probably smoking and drinking a bit, so what? Some players in the top 100 do too. He played golf before the match? A lot of the guys on the tour play too, and it's not a terribly tiring sport. No need to act like he was out of shape and wasn't even trying. That's a guy who was top 40 in the world at his best and in the top 40 of doubles when he played the Williams'. It wasn't a recreational player, he was really good. That's why it's a significant example of the difference there is. No need to emphasize every detail.

that bad?

she could at least win a set right?

i doubt she'd win more than 2-3 points in a three setter and those would probably come of mistakes that federer made.

So yeah, she would probably lose against a good part of the top 1000 of the ATP.

she'd lose against every ranked ATP player (~2100) and tons of unranked as well. go to some futures events where men struggle to come even close to getting ATP points and they all would wipe the floor with serena. the difference is huge. i've posted this anecdote quite a few times but a good friend of mine got to play with hingis when she was no.1 and he beat her easily. he was 15 at that time and a great club player but never even thought about trying to go pro.

leng jai

Basically there's 2 major differences - spin rate (topspin and to a lesser extent slice) and movement/agility. Just watch WTA for any amount of time and you'll notice that 90% of them hit the ball extremely flat and play rather one dimensionally (ATP players are becoming more one dimensional as well these days, but not to this extreme). In terms of pure speed they aren't far behind really, it's ball trajectory that is the major difference. Their movement is also nowhere as dynamic, it's why you often see tons of winners in women's tennis when you think they could have retrieved the ball.

Stosur is really the only WTA player I know has a relatively heavy topspin forehand and good kick serve.

Diamond

i doubt she'd win more than 2-3 points in a three setter and those would probably come of mistakes that federer made.

she'd lose against every ranked ATP player (~2100) and tons of unranked as well. go to some futures events where men struggle to come even close to getting ATP points and they all would wipe the floor with serena. the difference is huge. i've posted this anecdote quite a few times but a good friend of mine got to play with hingis when she was no.1 and he beat her easily. he was 15 at that time and a great club player but never even thought about trying to go pro.

That's matches that won't ever happen so it's difficult to be sure about anything. McEnroe said 700, you say not even ATP level, I say 1000... I think the point is there's a big difference, as leng jai explains above, everybody with common sense will agree on it, it's not even necessary to try to put precise numbers on it.

Nobody filmed your friend (guess not given the time period)? Would have been interesting to see! :)

Also yeah, Djoker out until next season. Crazy how quick things can change in tennis.

So Murray is coming ?...I could of sworn I read a Tennis Canada reporter say that Murray was out for the season as well...I will try and find it.

Given Murray's play this year and his nagging injuries, taking the rest of the season off would do wonders for him as well. If the Big 4 all come back healthy next season, 2018 could be epic.

AoM

How'd you get it off the net (and off the court even)? Let it climb onto your racket? I don't know snakes, so not sure whether it's venomous.

How'd you get it off the net (and off the court even)? Let it climb onto your racket? I don't know snakes, so not sure whether it's venomous.

My friend and I determined it wasn't venomous. We tried to shake the net to scare it away, but it was stubborn and climbed all the way to the top and just stayed there. We eventually moved to another court.

Picked up a ball cart and some of the "orange" low compression balls as my son is entering 8 year old league play now, pic below. Their bounce and speed felt weird last night running him through some drills but should help him gain more experience than just once a week coaching lessons. Trying to get out there with him twice a week beyond his coaching session. Finally he's off the oversized fluffy balls and on to these "orange" kids ones. Next step standard balls and full court play...

productimage-picture-low-compression-balls-70_jpg_300x300_crop_q85.jpg

In other Aussie tennis news Nick Philippouissis is up on child sex charges, alleged offences over 12 months against 2 nine-year old girls he was coaching in San Diego.

2d51c6b0f04bb8875e4fb3b68f636f56

I remember playing pennant with my brother in our teens and Mark was playing at our local club against my brother's pennant team, Nick was there as loud as can be, obnoxious and rattling the wire fencing around the court while yelling at Mark on court. My dad told him off as he was on the club committee that year.

I still recall the sound of Mark's serve slamming down, huge serve.

Link is behind a paywall but did he actually allegedly have sex with them or touch them inappropriately

Here's a different link:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-...eads-not-guilty-on-molestation-charge/8751952

14 charges with things like this:

Philippoussis allegedly abused the girls in different San Diego locations, including his car, home and a tennis complex. The charges include oral copulation and lewd acts on the girls.

The paywall link mentioned charges of penetration. Shit like this is why I never leave my kids alone at anything they do e.g. lessons. It's a shitty mentality to feel like you have to keep these days but my wife and/or I are present for everything our kids do.

Deadman

Amazon have picked up the rights to almost all non-slam events for the men from 2019 in the UK

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...s-sky-to-win-exclusive-atp-tour-tennis-rights

The deal will make Amazon Prime Video the home for practically all top-flight men's tennis other than the four grand slam tournaments – including the end of year ATP World Tour finals at the O2 Arena in London.

Amazon has aced Sky, whose five-year contract ends in 2018, with a bid thought to be worth as much as £10m a year. Sky, which is understood to have paid about £8m a year for its current deal, is not thought to have matched the amount it bid last time to try and secure the new deal.

The contract covers the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 and Masters 500 events from around the world, including tournaments in Monte Carlo, Madrid, Paris, Miami, Indian Wells and Shanghai.

I'm surprised how low it is. That's about 500 times less than sky pay for the football.

In the US, only the Tennis Channel has ATP tournaments, right?

ESPN has some of them. For example, this week the Tennis channel has the rights to the Washington Open while ESPN has the rights to the Stanford open. What sucks about ESPN's coverage is they usually don't air any matches on television until the semi-finals while tennis channel broadcasts matches from the first round on

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Amazing how all Tennis GAF moves to that thread killing the OT Tennis thread for a month.

Anyway Rogers cup next August 7. Do you guys think Fed surely will be playing this one ?

Just a heads up, Fed did confirm that he's playing.

Top Bottom