• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legends 3 axed; Capcom blames fans/goes insane, [Fans Start Support Group]

Riposte

Enk said:
So is Mega Man now dead at Capcom?

No new 2D games to look forward to and now not ever a 3D game. Hell they didn't even put him in Marvel vs Capcom 3. Seems like the character died when Inafune left.

It is not like they put a Megaman Legends character in MvC3 or anything.

EDIT: The idea that the people who get to cancel stuff(probably the very strict board Inafune detests) were the ones who decided to keep Megaman on out MvC3 is hilarious though.

Busaiku

This even got a TV airing.
Why would they do this.

Why would they not even release Prototype to gauge actual interest.

Instro

TheSeks said:
And Level 5 has a US publishing branch? Because AFAIK, Layton was published in America by NoA. I think NoA and Level 5 will require Capcom's "okay," to publish it outside of Japan anyway.
Level 5 are translating and publishing their own games now.

Well damn.
DIyuS.jpg

Delio

RedSwirl said:
It's like a domino effect for the 3DS now:

Nintendo decides to let 3rd parties take the stage for the 3DS launch.
3DS doesn't sell all that much because the games aren't there yet.
Publishers start to delay and cancel games.
People lose reasons to buy a 3DS.

By the time the first party hits come this fall the 3DS could end up being just a Nintendo game player. This is the kind of shit that happens to a Nintendo console, not a handheld. Publishers (at least from Japan) have always had faith in Nintendo handhelds. What the fuck happened this time?

Yeah feels like the Wii almost. Will be a shame if the 3DS turns out to be a "Wii" game wise and the Vita turns into the 360.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Instro said:

Then they'll still need Capcom's okay. Possible, but I think that would be a huge huge slap in the face of those of us that bought all the games in the AA series day one to not get Edgeworth 2 but a cross over game instead. :|

Despera

Banned
I never was excited for this game and I know this is strictly a business decision, but to see them take a huge dump on fans like that...

Capcom just doesn't give a fuck.

SwiftSketcher said:
I don't even think I can buy a 3DS because of this. It symbolized the hardware I would finally get to play my dream sequel on. Sorry Nintendo, but your handheld is now the center of one of my biggest gaming traumas.

Guess I can never catch up on the layton or Pheonix series either. Never had a DS.

Capcom. Go fuck yourself.

You seriously going to miss great games(or should I say potential?) because of Capcom? LOL
I honestly don't think they are worth it.

Busaiku

Instro said:
It's not confirmed yet.
While Mask of Miracles was by them at last year's E3, recent word from them seems to indicate they're looking more into mobile and casual markets.

Nintendo's also publishing The Last Specter.

capcom's fall from grace has been quite a spectacle.

the only game they have coming that even looks halfway decent to me is dragon's dogma.

Well, that's a shame.

Although, I wasn't really super into this game in the first place, since I haven't played the first 2.

Nevertheless, sucks for those who were looking forward to it.

d0c_zaius

Wow Capcom is really going loopy at this point.

Very disappointing. Between this, MH3rd psp US version and Super MVC3 rumors...yea they should be kicked in the balls.

duckroll

Instro said:

To be fair, they haven't actually announced any. Layton 4 is still coming from Nintendo, and there are no announced Level 5 America games. Hino says that he wants to US division to develop and publish games for the US market by partnering with developers in the US. Hinting that they're interested in the smartphone market.

Can't say I didn't see it coming after Inafune left. I'm more surprised people were actually looking forward to this. I fucking hated Legends 1.

KevinCow

Banned
Busaiku said:
Why would they not even release Prototype to gauge actual interest.

Because if it turned out people were actually interested, they'd have to consider actually greenlighting the game.

Erethian

This has been on the cards ever since Inafune left. Megaman is now a franchise that's trotted out for mash-up titles like MvC3, nothing more.

3DS sales, or lack thereof, were never going to enter into it.

Ashodin

RedSwirl said:
It's like a domino effect for the 3DS now:

Nintendo decides to let 3rd parties take the stage for the 3DS launch.
3DS doesn't sell all that much because the games aren't there yet.
Publishers start to delay and cancel games.
People lose reasons to buy a 3DS.

By the time the first party hits come this fall the 3DS could end up being just a Nintendo game player. This is the kind of shit that happens to a Nintendo console, not a handheld. Publishers (at least from Japan) have always had faith in Nintendo handhelds. What the fuck happened this time?
The absolute mishandling of the system is what happened. Instead of waiting for November for release (which should have happened, obviously), they decided to advance place the system out there, and without anything substantial to move units. Add to the factor that the system is named Nintendo 3DS which confuses the absolute fuck out of the general populace on the system and its capabilities, plus the lack of any Mario title at launch, leads many to believe that it's just a minor upgrade to the DS instead of an entirely different system.

I have to explain this on a day to day basis. Think about that. EVERY DAY, I have to tell someone the difference instead of it being readily apparent.

B.K.

GuitarAtomik said:
Can't say I didn't see it coming after Inafune left. I'm more surprised people were actually looking forward to this. I fucking hated Legends 1.

Legends 2 ended on a huge cliffhanger. That's the main reason people wanted Legends 3.

Ninja Scooter said:
did they even release that paid demo/beta?

No and they aren't going to. Release of the Prologue is also canceled.

Edgeward

Wow, such a deep troll. If I wasn't already hardened over the years over the impossibility of 3 getting made, and the rumors of it already in trouble after it's announcement. Ii would be deeply pained.

And yet, it still hurts a little. All I have left of capcom is fighting games, fuck everything else. And especially fuck you, Capcom.

Instro

duckroll said:
To be fair, they haven't actually announced any. Layton 4 is still coming from Nintendo, and there are no announced Level 5 America games. Hino says that he wants to US division to develop and publish games for the US market by partnering with developers in the US. Hinting that they're interested in the smartphone market.
Oh I thought they had already announced Layton 5 for NA.

Look at it this way - would you rather the game have come out and been awful without Inafune there to steer the ship?

I'd rather have nothing than get another Mega Man X7.

Gentlemen, gentlemen! Let us be courteous about this. Rather than mourn what was lost let us instead celebrate what fate even more terrible was avoided.

Rather than give the project a somewhat dignified passing CAPCOM could have submitted it to a fate worse than death. They could have outsourced it's development to an overseas studio to reboot the franchise, injecting it with masculinity, grit and doing it all using UE3 no less.

Nay, let us not mourn, let us instead shiver at what horrors were averted.

Reversed

This news makes me want to spit on Capcom's face for this and what has it done lately. Laaame.

Still looking for Asura's Wrath, nevertheless.

WickedLaharl said:
capcom's fall from grace has been quite a spectacle.

the only game they have coming that even looks halfway decent to me is dragon's dogma.

No MH love? Not even DmC?(ok I kid,I kid) I think Dragon Dogma looks great and I honestly have no other Capcom games to look forward to thinking about it and that's kinda sad... Hopefully they have another Darkstalkers at Vita Launch :D

Riposte

bone_and_sinew said:
Cancelled Megaman games galore yet shit like DmC is greenlit. Fuck off, Crapcom.

DmC is not being made by Capcom, Megaman Legends 3 would have been. Capcom's top brass are quite strict on what Capcom gets to make.

I would've actually bought a goddamn 3DS for this game. Oh well. :\

Looks like Mega Man 9 will be the last great MM game. And wow, I'm pretty damn pissed about this. It probably makes absolutely no sense for me to do this, but I'm hurt enough to actually boycott Capcom games in general just to spite them in my own small way.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
rpmurphy said:
Capcom gone mad, I see.
This seems pretty sensible to me actually. Developing for the 3DS doesn't leave you with much space to make it a crossplatform game. Can anyone see MML3 doing decent numbers on the 3DS even if it came out?

The hate for Capcom is a little immature really. They gave this more of a shot than they even should have. Things didn't pan out, but oh well.

Busaiku

Ninja Scooter said:
lol

did they even release that paid demo/beta?
It wasn't even a beta.
It wasn't even an alpha.

People were willing to pay money for a pre-alpha of a game.
Yet Capcom isn't even giving us the chance.

hamchan

The fall of Capcom from being great at the start of this gen to being absolute crap right now is quite sad. That's what happens when all your talent leaves I guess.

Dance In My Blood said:
This seems pretty sensible to me actually. Developing for the 3DS doesn't leave you with much space to make it a crossplatform game. Can anyone see MML3 doing decent numbers on the 3DS even if it came out?

The hate for Capcom is a little immature really. They gave this more of a shot than they even should have. Things didn't pan out, but oh well.

I can't see it doing great numbers on any platform.
Doesn't mean they still shouldn't release it.

Top Bottom