• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal gear solid director wrote a book, made writers go through MGS course

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
“I spent three months of my life putting together this massive book to say, ‘This is how important this property is to me, and I don’t care if you don’t hire me. I need to do this for myself, because if you give this to someone else, I just need to be able to say I did everything I could,'” he said.

“So I made that book and it just started going up the ladder, meeting after meeting after meeting after meeting, and eventually, I got the job.”

“As I brought in writers, I basically took them on this weird journey where I brought them over to my house and I designed this weird course where I would load up the original Metal Gear and I would have the writer play that for a while, and just teach them this idea of stealth gameplay,” the director explained, referring to the 1987 original.

“I would let them play that, and generally, anyone was able to play that because anyone can pick up a game of that era and understand the mechanics of it. They’d play that for an hour or so, and then I would jump forward and then I’d load up Metal Gear Solid 5 and say, ‘This is where it jumps to. You just saw the beginnings of this, and over the course of 30-odd years, this is where it took us,’ so you see both ends of the spectrum.”

After showing both extreme, Vogt-Roberts would have the potential writer fire up Metal Gear Solid on PSOne, which he said is easy for newcomers to pick up and “makes a strong thesis” in the first hour. After that, he’d make them play Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty.

This allowed Vogt-Roberts to give writers a sense of what makes Metal Gear special in a way that a story summary or watching video cannot, even if they aren’t familiar with video games at all.
https://www.vg247.com/2017/05/10/me...come-to-his-house-and-do-an-mgs-crash-course/
This guy had the passion alright.

gforguava

It's amazing he's doing all this for a movie that's never going to get made.
snake.gif

Juicy Bob

As much as I appreciate the passion and as much as I love MGS, I still think a movie adaptation is unnecessary. The games are cinematic enough as it is already. I don't see how you could truncate all the Metal Gear-ness into a two hour format that would work.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
It's amazing he's doing all this for a movie that's never going to get made.
Even if he did get it green lit, it still would be a waste of time. I think people who want this movie made don't really get what made MGS legendary on video games and just keep thinking that it was the neck-deep melodrama alone that made the games unique.

If he does know what he's talking about and it's shown through the book, then props to him. But I still think this adaptation would be counterintuitive unless they put their own unique spin on it as a film adaptation that still remains faithful to the property's core ideas.

Permanently A

As much as I appreciate the passion and as much as I love MGS, I still think a movie adaptation is unnecessary. The games are cinematic enough as it is already. I don't see how you could truncate all the Metal Gear-ness into a two hour format that would work.

Metal Gear Cinematic Universe

Even if he makes a good Metal Gear movie people will shit on it.

Silent Hill was really faithful to the whole vibe of the series and it got panned.

Warcraft too. Duncan Jones poured his blood, sweat and tears into doing Warcraft justice. The studio ended up taking it out of his hands, doing a pared down cut of it that was still decent, but not as good as his, and the end product was not what it could've been, although it's still pretty good IMO.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Friend of mine did some production work with this guy and said he is the most in-depth legit MGS fan he has ever met. I don't know if this movie will ever get made, but he's definitely the guy to direct it if it happens.

gforguava

Friend of mine did some production work with this guy and said he is the most in-depth legit MGS fan he has ever met. I don't know if this movie will ever get made, but he's definitely the guy to direct it if it happens.
I'm not so sure about that.

Let us not forget that a really big D&D fan tried to get a Dungeons and Dragons film made for a decade and when the stars aligned and he got to do it...

image.png

Being a fan of something doesn't mean you are the proper person to shepherd its adaptation.

pa22word

Silent Hill was really faithful to the whole vibe of the series and it got panned.

Warcraft too. Duncan Jones poured his blood, sweat and tears into doing Warcraft justice. The studio ended up taking it out of his hands, doing a pared down cut of it that was still decent, but not as good as his, and the end product was not what it could've been, although it's still pretty good IMO.

Silent Hill committed narrative suicide on screen though with that dumb exposition dump at the end. Plus the splitting of the main character for weird sexist reasons didn't do the plot any favors even if the idea of having Sean bean running around a library for the entire movie serving as exposition bot for the notes and stuff from the game was a pretty neat idea for translating the feeling of stumbling on notes and stuff while you play.

I read somewhere that there's a 3 hour cut of the movie sitting on someone's hard drive somewhere that I'd love to see someday because the movie while really flawed is certainly very striking visually.

Also revelations was probably the worst movie I've ever seen in theatres, and actually the only movie I've ever walked out of.

DeathyBoy

Banned

Oh dear God the retconning of Warcraft as watchable has begun already.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I wish Tony Scott would still be alive. he'd make a great director for this.
The Silent Hill movies ;I thought those were ok. The first one is better, but the second one is a totally entertaining B movie if you know Silent Hill.

I'm not so sure about that.

Let us not forget that a really big D&D fan tried to get a Dungeons and Dragons film made for a decade and when the stars aligned and he got to do it...

image.png

Being a fan of something doesn't mean you are the proper person to shepherd its adaptation.
Yeah, being a big fan of the property doesn't mean you are automatically going to make a good movie out of it. Ghost In The Shell, Warcraft, and hundreds more adaptations.

Joeku

In a post Red Scare world a weird spy movie about nukes could totally exist.

It's a shame that people will compare whatever becomes of a Metal Gear Solid movie to post-2008 Kojima and say "they didn't get it" or "they didn't go far enough", though. Dude both became a shark and leapt over himself in one swift motion.

It's not that much of a MGS course. Any sensible MGS fan will do it.

But is it going to be made? It's a fucking game movie.

Plum

I think the best direction an MGS movie could go is one that takes the general plot of the game/s whilst changing things around quite significantly to fit a film format. Just trying to do a straight adaptation of MGS where Solid Snake goes up against the entirety of FOXHOUND one by one would feel rushed and unnecessary; same with MGS2's Sons of Liberty, MGS3's Cobra Unit, etc. Sticking to the source material so faithfully is probably the worst thing that could happen for an MGS film, the director should be allowed and feel confident enough to do their own thing instead of feeling like they have to put every piece of Kojima's vision on to the screen.

Mathezar

Eh. At this point I feel like if they want to adapt videogame properties into movies or TV, go for it. If it's terrible, I'll ignore it. In the case of MGS, it couldn't do anything worse to damage the property than what Konami is already doing.

Sesha

I admire his passion. He should show them Super Bunnyhop's Critical Close-Ups, as they're some of the best analyses of the games out there. Just playing the games isn't really enough, unless the surface elements are all they want. But they shouldn't go for a slavic interpretation of the material, or any single game either.

His heart is seemingly in the right place, but so far it's just optics and promotional fluff. If the movie itself isn't good then it is all pointless.

plasmasd

So if I meet him and knock on a wall in MG2:SS tap codes he'll understand without having to use the manual?

As long as he's played all the way through the MSX games he's fine for the job by me.

B.K.

If anyone wants to make a Metal Gear Solid movie, they just need to watch 24 season five and add mechs.

This is cool and all but Kong Skull Island felt like a kinda mediocre effort tbh and I don't think this guy is nearly interesting enough to be able to adapt MGS into the wacky and melodramatic action movie it should be.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
This is cool and all but Kong Skull Island felt like a kinda mediocre effort tbh and I don't think this guy is nearly interesting enough to be able to adapt MGS into the wacky and melodramatic action movie it should be.
You just want Miller for everything.
So do I.

You just want Miller for everything.
So do I.

Miller or Edgar Wright for everything would be dope yeah.

but something like MGS belongs to like the director of the Wailing or the Host or something. those korean directors seem to always make movies that are both deadly serious and goofy as hell at the drop of a hat.

if you play the MGS movie like a straight action movie it would be pointless.

this kong guy is weak, I don't think he got it.

His previous movie was a lot more interesting but Kong was goofy enough that I think he could tackle MGS.

I don't know, you're in the minority on Kong, and the serious yet wacky nature of the movie showed me he's a pretty damn good fit for a Metal Gear movie. Shit, he named the boat Grey Fox in that movie for a reason guys.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Exactly. Sometimes I think it might be counterproductive in some regards because they can't pull themselves back and see it with fresh eyes.

Guy sounds really passionate though. I know it comforts fans to know someone who knows the materials is behind the camera. I just hope he doesn't get bogged down in the weeds, cause the studio will cut it to ribbons.

Just make The Rock with a character named Snake in the Connery role. Also, instead of chemical weapons it's a bipedal walking tank.

Hell, Nicolas Cage could play a less annoying Otacon.

I appreciate this guy's passion and I love the games but I can't imagine what a relatively faithful adaptation of MGS would look like. That shit is just too insane for a Hollywood film. But hey, if Fatman is in it, then it'll be an instant classic.

Mik2121

I'd rather have a Netflix series :) it could be fun and probably wouldn't be too costly... I think? (unless they decide to show all the mechanics stuff all the time anyway)

TyrantII

Silent Hill nailed at art style and cinematography, and the script wasn't even bad. But the dialogue really brought it down.

They kept making the telling, not showing mistake over and over. Also probably had too many establishing shots following the character running around. It padded the movie too much.

Still love it though.

I appreciate this guy's passion and I love the games but I can't imagine what a relatively faithful adaptation of MGS would look like. That shit is just too insane for a Hollywood film. But hey, if Fatman is in it, then it'll be an instant classic.

MGS1&3 are pretty straight action/bond/espionage movies with some tech thrown in. The problems there are the budget to do them right.

MGS2/4/5 wouldn't work well.

The real issue is mid-budget movies and B cinema had the funding fall out. If it's not a Oscar fishing film, it doesn't get made if it can't be a sleeper A-profitable flick.

jett

D-Member
Miller or Edgar Wright for everything would be dope yeah.

but something like MGS belongs to like the director of the Wailing or the Host or something. those korean directors seem to always make movies that are both deadly serious and goofy as hell at the drop of a hat.

if you play the MGS movie like a straight action movie it would be pointless.

this kong guy is weak, I don't think he got it.

MGS belongs in video games.

MGS1&3 are pretty straight action/bond/espionage movies with some tech thrown in. The problems there are the budget to do them right.

MGS2/4/5 wouldn't work well.

The real issue is mid-budget movies and B cinema had the funding fall out. If it's not a Oscar fishing film, it doesn't get made if it can't be a sleeper A-profitable flick.

The plots for 1 and 3 could work since they are basically sci-fi military thrillers but the issue is with the characters. Even their code names: The Boss, Big Boss, Revolver Ocelot, etc. Of course, you don't have to be faithful to the games but it's going to be quite a massive endeavour to both please the fans and make the film somewhat palatable to mainstream audiences. I'm not sure you can do both.

MrS

Banned
The guy has no experience in taking a video game property to the screen though. Uwe Boll should get the job.

xam3l

Adaptations are never "unnecessary". They can be valuable to a franchise in the way more people can consume these stories and maybe gain interest in the source material. Its just sad that we dont have a good videogame adpatation.

Epcott

Needs to be an 8 episode Netflix/Amazon/Hulu series depicting Snake's infiltration into Outter Heaven (maybe combine the story with Solid Snake) followed by the movie. It's hard to have a 2 hour film of MGS have any real impact without that backstory unless they do flashbacks, and even that wouldn't be enough to flesh out the signifigance of Big Boss' relationship to Snake and why Foxhound wants his remains.

MGS3 would make a great second film, followed by MGS2 with an ending that has closure.

I think it might be better as a cgi series on Netflix.

Or just adapt mgs1 but cut a ton of the fat.

I think you do:

Underwater insertion and introduction.
Darpa chief and Meryl in the cell, shootout and separation.
Revolver ocelot shootout with the captured Kenneth Baker.
Cyborg ninja cuts off ocelot's hand.
Armstech president dies.
Head to the underground base.
Underground passageway. Meryl is shot.
Snake tries to return fire with her famas, he's hit in the arm, but by a tranq round, and blacks out.
Snake wakes up on the torture table with ocelot and liquid.
Snake in the cell. Discovers Anderson's rotting corpse.
Cyborg ninja appears again and slaughters the guards (essentially, the scene from before you meet otacon in the game) and cuts the door off snake's cell.
Snake moves to metal gear's hangar. Info dump outside the control room.
Snake accidentally activates metal gear with the pal key.
Metal gear battle. Ninja revealed as grey fox. He dies.
Fistfight on top of rex.
Jeep chase to the ending.

No psycho mantis (bring him in a sequel maybe) or Vulcan raven, no otacon.

You don't. You do a story that would work as a movie while retaining the spirit of the inspiration. Trying to actually adapt one of the game's story is going end in an over-stuffed over-complicated mess

Losing the interactivity means losing so much of what set this series apart.
Games and movies are different mediums. The goal of a movie isn't to capture the whole of the game, interactivity and all. It's to the world, concept, tone, etc. and do a story from a different angle.

What separates MGS apart from games isn't what would make it unique or interesting as a movie.

Roufianos

I'm surprised that the movie is still going ahead after the Kojima fall out. Would have thought Konami would pull the plug.

Top Bottom