• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DHS secretary: Laptop/tablet ban may be expanded to flights departing US

giga

(CNN)Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly confirmed to CNN Friday that he is considering expanding the ban on large electronics in airplane cabins to include flights departing from the US to overseas.

If that happens, then it would mean any electronic device larger than a cell phone would not be allowed on some flights leaving the US, not just certain inbound US flights, as is currently the case. Kelly was at Reagan National Airport just outside the nation's capital in Virginia Friday, meeting and shaking hands with Transportation Security Administration officers and speaking briefly on camera to reporters.

When asked whether it is true that he has hinted the laptop ban could expand to US soil, Kelly said that those characterizations of his thinking are accurate.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/26/politics/john-kelly-laptop-ban/

Ogodei

Such a crock of shit.

Watch them expand it to domestic flights next.

It'll just become the next thing like the liquid ban that's been going for 11 years now. Business class will have to get used to running their business on their smartphone.

I wonder if the ban holds if you take the battery out of your laptop, though.

tarheel91

It'll just become the next thing like the liquid ban that's been going for 11 years now. Business class will have to get used to running their business on their smartphone.

I wonder if the ban holds if you take the battery out of your laptop, though.

This doesn't just impact "business class" but really all individuals traveling for work, which is a huge chunk of all air travel.

At this point when we fly to Germany for work next fall we are just going to buy burner phones and find somewhere to rent a couple of laptops.

Fuck this shit.

Congratulations terror groups, you've been winning for 16 years.

Hopeford

Question, would the tablet ban affect kindles as well? Like, not the tablet, the e-reader.

And man, flying to the US seems like it's gonna be a bit of a pain huh...that's a pity. Guess it's time to start traveling to other places.

Man, they really think someone is going to hide a bomb in an iPad.

I don't know, if they are this worried I feel like such a move is justified. Super inconvenient obviously but until they develop better screening technology I guess there isn't much else to be done.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
This ban in going to make international travel a fucking pain in the ass.

No work getting done, no way to entertain yourself... And all those airlines that didn't upgrade their in flight entertainment are fucked.

sangreal

No work getting done, no way to entertain yourself... And all those airlines that didn't upgrade their in flight entertainment are fucked.

Or those airlines that ditched them entirely in favor of wireless on demand to your iPad...

Any way you cut it this is going to be a disaster

The worst part is they made a conscious decision not to instead relying on the ubiquity of devices like these. I mean of course the real reason is money and not having to maintain in-seat systems. But yeah, it's a situation where you're basically limited to music on a smartphone and related functions.

No real productivity possible.

real shocked that they would risk fucking over America's international businesses this badly. Based on my experience, no fucking way a company large enough to operate on an international scale would be okay with an employee storing a work laptop in cargo compartments, and no way they would be okay with an employee using an unapproved device for company business on the plane or upon landing.

Question, would the tablet ban affect kindles as well? Like, not the tablet, the e-reader.

And man, flying to the US seems like it's gonna be a bit of a pain huh...that's a pity. Guess it's time to start traveling to other places.

Had a work conference moved from the U.S. to Germany already. We might drive to Canada and then fly to Germany/fly back to Canada/drive home.

The conference we were going to go to after that was going to be in Boston but now is likely to be Vancouver.

Trump + this cowardly bs is already costing my business a good chunk of change.

RDreamer

Sucks, I'm about to go on my first international traveling in my life and really would have loved to bring my laptop to get stuff done on the massive flight. That plus do some things over in Europe but now I can't.

Also really paranoid seeing everyone talk about how dangerous a bunch of laptops in the hold are.

Future

I wouldn't be surprised if airlines are promoting this change. No laptop or tablet? Please enjoy our overpriced movies and Tetris knock offs for an unbeatable overpriced price!

linkboy

I don't know, if they are this worried I feel like such a move is justified. Super inconvenient obviously but until they develop better screening technology I guess there isn't much else to be done.

This is exactly how things like this go into effect. People just accept it and move on. Also, it's not a matter of developing better screening technology, it's whether the government wants to spend money to purchase it (and with the GOP adverse to spending any type of money that doesn't go to the defense budget, good luck getting anything like that through the bureaucratic mess that is government financing).

What do you think will happen if there is a laptop fitted with a bomb that (somehow) slips through security and ends up in the cargo hold. It's just going to explode in the cargo hold and still bring the plane down.

The only way to fully prevent a (possible) laptop bomb from taking down a plane would be to prevent anyone from taking one on a plane period, either in checked or carry-on. There's no way that's going to happen. Instead, we're getting another half assed measure that doesn't accomplish anything except being another pain in the ass for anyone who isn't looking to blow a plane up (just like the vast majority of shit Homeland Security and the Totally Stupid Agency comes up with).

This is exactly how things like this go into effect. People just accept it and move on. Also, it's not a matter of developing better screening technology, it's whether the government wants to spend money to purchase it.

What do you think will happen if there is a laptop fitted with a bomb that (somehow) slips through security and ends up in the cargo hold. It's just going to explode in the cargo hold and bring the plane down.

The only way to fully prevent a (possible) laptop bomb from taking down a plane would be to prevent anyone from taking one on a plane period, either in checked or carry-on. There's no way that's going to happen. Instead, we're getting another half assed measure that doesn't accomplish anything except being another pain in the ass for anyone who isn't looking to blow a plane up (just like the vast majority of shit Homeland Security and the Totally Stupid Agency comes up with).

Security. Theater.

Hopeford

Considering how some airlines already rent iPads for people who don't have a tablet with them, wonder if they'll double down on it and rent laptops too.

Considering how some airlines already rent iPads for people who don't have a tablet with them, wonder if they'll double down on it and rent laptops too.

I'm not even sure if that would solve much for businesses, though. For one, I doubt they would like you accessing company info on a foreign device like that. Secondly, in my experience, WiFi usually isn't even available for international flights. Although I'm sure some uber classes of service on some airlines allows this. Meaning you'd have no way of even accessing business items in the cloud if they don't.

So you'd still have really nothing to work on. Unless you connect via Bluetooth or something with your phone that would have work items on it.

Flying to Italy in two weeks, glad this won't be in effect before then. What a nightmare.
edit: if I'm working on a plane I am using encrypted data that will not be useable on anything other than my devices.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Motherfuckers I have business in China in like two months, you really going to make me go through a 14 hour flight with in flight movies?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member

The head of Homeland Security just said the other day people wouldn't want to leave their houses if we knew how ubiquitous the terror threat is. I don't think he is a trustworthy judge of this stuff.

womfalcs3

Banned
And even if I sacrifice carrying a laptop, I don't trust the airlines to check it in the baggage when I travel for business. It's got my work.

Top Bottom