• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's So Special About Orange Smarties? [UK, not US Smarties]

Red

99f1925b9b7db4ea00cee6302319e579.jpg

Necco Wafers are better.
I once accidentally swallowed one of these discs whole. It lodged itself in my throat. I thought I was going to die.

BigDes

The big difference between M&Ms and Smarties is that M&Ms are dark chocolate and Smarties are milk chocolate.

Pedrito

The superior Smarties are the canadian ones. Each time I bought some outside of Canada (usually in airports duty-free), they were super bland. Wikipedia tells me it's because canadian Smarties have a thicker shell:

Smarties are no longer manufactured in York; production has now moved to Germany, where a third of them were already made. Outside Europe, Nestlé's largest production facility for Smarties is in Canada, where Nestlé has been manufacturing products since 1918. Canadian-made Smarties have a noticeably thicker shell than their European variants.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Seriously. The American sweet situation is dire.

Bet you don't even have Dip Dabs.

Fizzy cola bottles?

Foam shrimps?

Refreshers?

this reads like a simpsons joke

or a lyric from a frank zappa song, hence your avatar

zulux21

It is the only good ubiquitous American candy

nah that would be

Milkyways aren't horrible either.

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are meh though :/

I tend to prefer fruity stuff over chocolate so it's not like most of the candy in here appeals to me.

I will stick with the best sucker

and just enjoy those as since I can't actually bite through them they last me a while unlike most other suckers that I just bite through >.>

moggio

Banned
Nope.

As a UMIST grad, I try to introduce people to it when I can. Usually through bonbons and lollys because it's a lot of weight to bring cordial or fizzy vimto back here.

Oh yeah, I forgot they don't drink squash over there either.

It's a whole other world.

No Robinsons Fruit And Barley?

Sort it out.

Smarties tasted nicer before they changed the recipe, they're not as good as they were in the 80s/90s. Also those new hexagonal tubes can sod off, gimme the old proper ones with the pop-off lid again.

velociraptor

You guys better not be crapping on Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. What's wrong with you all?

I like PB

I like chocolate

But when I tried Reese's PB cups, it didn't taste as good as I hoped. It had somewhat of a chemical taste, and the PB was also salty.

I heard the white ones are pretty good though - so I'll have to check those out.

Oregano

It's sold on amazon, so apparently so

Every US person reading this should order some now.

Nope.

As a UMIST grad, I try to introduce people to it when I can. Usually through bonbons and lollys because it's a lot of weight to bring cordial or fizzy vimto back here.

You are doing god's work. See if you can find any Vimto Cubes, they're amazing.

The drink of the Gods, hot or cold.
It's popular In India if I remember correctly.

Really? That's awesome.

Jackpot

Banned
Blackcurrant sweets are like strawberry ones with an extra edge. It's the second most popular flavour after strawberry. Maynards did a limited edition release of Wine Gums that were only comprised of strawberry and blackcurrant ones.

It's also the best flavour of squash (is it called cordial over there?)

Nothing. Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are great

Peanut Butter is great

It's just you know, not the only thing that exists.

Seconded. Peanuts are in near absolutely goddamned every candy over there. Probably because they're dirt-cheap.

In chocolate selection boxes the nutty ones are always the last to go.

Daffy Duck

I have no idea.

Remember when they withdrew blue smarties too because too many E numbers, lol.

Orange smarties are king though.

I might walk to the shop and buy some smarties now.

Do Americans know about Vimto?

You mean they've never heard of Purple Ronnie????

Red

I've never had Vimto. What is it? Just a fizzy fruit drink? Is it one of those fruity sports drinks like Lucozade?

Oregano

I've never had Vimto. What is it? Just a fizzy fruit drink? Is it one of those fruity sports drinks like Lucozade?

It's the fruitiest word I know.

Nothing like Lucozade. Comes in still and non-fizzy forms(and cordial) and you can get a range of Vimto flavoured sweets. Nothing quite like it.

Top Bottom