• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 trailer (the real one) [Up: Roll Call video]

Nice. I'm still impressed by how Treyarch has supported the Wii. I'll be honest it's part of why I ended up enjoying Black Ops 1 so much. To the point to double dip on the PC version after playing the Wii version (and still going back to it from time to time). I just hope that section changes or something is added to when we get to June 5th.

If there's a Wii U version with Wiimote controls... that's quite the tempting proposition.

Teknoman

So is it safe to say that future CODs will be in futuristic setting as well? Not sure if I want this though...

Could be the start of Near Future warfare. Unless they make a fall back to WWII at some point...or "Call of the Dead" its own game.

I'm all in on a fkn zombies standalone game. 4 player zombies w/ my buddies has been my most enjoyable MP experience since nostalgia ridden 007/PD.

Speaking of zombies, I'm sort of hoping to see Bosses. Like get to lvl 25 and THEN George Romero would come out and you'd all get raped and say it was bullshit and impossible, then on the 8th try you finally kill him.. a man can dream.

Also more narratives for the levels. I want to solve mysteries and blast zermbies.

Teknoman

I'm all in on a fkn zombies standalone game. 4 player zombies w/ my buddies has been my most enjoyable MP experience since nostalgia ridden 007/PD.

Speaking of zombies, I'm sort of hoping to see Bosses. Like get to lvl 25 and THEN George Romero would come out and you'd all get raped and say it was bullshit and impossible, then on the 8th try you finally kill him.. a man can dream.

Also more narratives for the levels. I want to solve mysteries and blast zermbies.

Thats what i'm saying. Just call it "Call of the Dead" and make it another franchise. Still room what with Left 4 Dead having gone dormant for awhile.

wow... this must be awfully cut trailer because after reading 2 previews my thoughts about this game did a complete 180.

The story does sound like if modern warfare 2-3 weren't written 'dumb'. Hope the script is decent.

@jeffgerstmann: THE HORSES ARE IN THE 1980s YOU GUYS THEY ARE NOT FUTURE HORSES

And another 180.

booo.

EYEL1NER

Ha, part of the game is set in the 80s.
There was a reason I was saying this afternoon not to jump to conclusions over 4 images of futuristic combat.
The Black Ops and Cold War element is there.

hamchan

Giant Bomb preview:

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/lets-talk-about-the-future-of-call-of-duty/4120/

This game sounds pretty damn good so far. Treyarch looks like they've put a crapload of changes in the campaign.

-Part of the game set in the 1980s.
-Main enemy in future cold war is China
-Supposedly looks nicer than previous entries
-Branching campaign with multiple outcomes
-Missions attached to the story, allows you to pop out into an mini-RTS like screen and then choose a unit to take direct control. This includes non-human things like copters and robots.
-If you run out of units you fail the mission and the story still continues, will affect the overall cold war and your ending.

LQX

Saw the trailer during the Lakers game. It looked amazing and far better than the YouTube version.

EYEL1NER

Wow, after reading those three recent links, it appears that there are a LOT of changes in the game. Failing missions and having it affect the story? Controlling squad mates and being able to play the game tactically from a top-down view? Zombies running in the MP engine?
Shit. Big changes.

I'm pumped for this.

demolitio

WTF? That has to be a mistake. Treyarch has shown more love to the PC community than IW even if Black Ops ran like shit for a lot of people with great specs. I expect to be playing Black Ops 2 before we get any DLC for MW3 on PC...lol

I just don't see how DX11 can be added to an engine that doesn't particularly look good and runs at 60 FPS. No, that's not a troll. The games looks good for 60 FPS on consoles but the Treyarch games specifically aren't that pretty so it's weird to hear DX11 even being brought up. It'd be funny to have tessellation though. As long as the DX11 features are actually useable and doesn't tank the FPS on a game where 60 is the norm, then I'm excited to see what they have.

Teknoman

Its a COD game. You will probably be jumping back and forth throughout the SP.

Hmm...thats the one thing I havent liked about most recent COD titles, jumping back and forth between characters and days. Kinda makes you lose a grip on what little story is there.

I am glad that all MP takes place in the future though.

We wanted to create the most compelling villain that Call of Duty has ever seen,” added Dave Anthony. “You understand who he is as a human being. One minute you will understand where he’s coming from, and the next minute you will see him do something that you cannot support in a million years
Can't wait to see what "controversial violence" they'll go for this time.

Thatoneguy

Neo Member
Wow, after reading those three recent links, it appears that there are a LOT of changes in the game. Failing missions and having it affect the story? Controlling squad mates and being able to play the game tactically from a top-down view? Zombies running in the MP engine?
Shit. Big changes.

I'm pumped for this.

Agree with you. I'm anxious to see how they pull it all off and if all of it plays well. Even if it doesn't, I respect Treyarch for trying to change the CoD formula.

Pennybags

Wait, wait, wait.

Multiple endings in a CoD?

What?

One of Swords said:
..You can fail missions in Black Ops II, and that will divert the main story. In some cases, people will live or die based on your success or failure on a mission, and that will affect the story’s outcome.

The trailer looks interesting, but I have little faith in Treyarch.

Will pick it up for cheap, probably. After buying the last... five games on day 1. Time to be strong!

If DE:HR is allowed to take from cyberpunk films, and UC3 is allowed to take from action-adventure films, then I don't see why CoD can't take from both.

The key difference being that the first two games you mentioned are actually good, and the third being a copy of a copy, reiterated on a yearly basis, goes on to sell more than the first two combined.

Sad.

demolitio

The trailer is kind of funny in a way to me because I've been saying for years that cyber-warfare is the area the U.S. needs to focus on the most (defensively mostly) because that is what other big nations are working on the most since they can't match up toe to toe with them. The idea is to completely shut down the networks, take over unmanned vehicles, and cause general mayhem all the while gaining crucial secrets. Leon Panetta surprised me when he said that was the area he was worried about the most and that's where he'd like to catch up so at least they're addressing those concerns.

It's just different for a change to hear the story involve that (if that's what the trailer truly meant) as it's very different and hasn't really been touched on too much and it's the only real thing (besides the obvious nuclear warfare) that could be believable right now instead of the bullshit MW storyline as if an invasion is that simple. So we went from Red Dawn to a Clancy book that sort of makes sense, but there's a lot we don't know yet so I hope the rest is good. The fact that the storyline can change in some instances if you fail a mission is unreal for a COD game since a linear Michael Bay game has always been the approach. If the core gameplay is good and feels different, then the COD fatigue might wear off. I like their ideas so far.

Well played Treyarch for taking risks and trying to do something different. Here's to hoping that the PC version doesn't run like shit or any version for that matter and that dedicated servers will be back. I have full faith that they will be since they tend to listen more to the community than IW.

unomas

Banned
That actually looked pretty cool. Sat out MW3 but I'm keeping my eye on this since Black Ops was better than I expected.

MW3 was/is awful, but this has my attention after that trailer. Graphics are awful, but this would be 6th COD in a row on Veteran, and it actually looks good and hyped compared to MW3. I said I was COD burned out, but I will probably buy this, and unless something major happens this will be it for me COD wise. It's like Madden at this point, people will/have lost interest.

While listening to the Bombcast special, I decided to make this:

uAqYT.jpg

Rambo-

Neo Member
The trailer looks great, but is anyone turned off by the walking tanks? I dont know about you guys guys, but the game would be better without them.

TUROK

Really badass trailer, but Black Ops 1 also had a pretty cool trailer, and it ended up being anti-fun.

Sticking to my guns and only renting it for the campaign.

M.D

What happened to the Xbox 360 "Jump In" part at the end they have every year? Did they end their partnership with Microsoft this year?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Better have Sticks and Stones* again. Best FPS party game mode ever.

*Or the future equivalent, I guess; Railguns and Laser Hatchets.

shinnn

What happened to the Xbox 360 "Jump In" part at the end they have every year? Did they end their partnership with Microsoft this year?

Neither MW3 or Black Ops trailers has the X360 vignette on their youtube channel.

Top Bottom