• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT2| "All Quiet on the GAF Front"

Gaenor

Banned
Just got back to BF1 after a 3 months break and boy, is this new Battlepack progression system slow !! I like the 2 new night maps though.

TikeMyson

I think the Battlepack progression system is pretty fast. But it depends on the class. For example I am relatively good at playing assault. Im getting a Battlepack every 3 - 4 rounds. But I am a bad medic... with this class it takes about roughly about 6 rounds to get a Battlepack.

Overall I'm getting more Battlepacks than before with the old system.

I think the battlepack progression has slowed with the latest update.

Can I still complete the call to action mission today. I'm pretty sure I won three full matches of operations but have not received the squad xp boost? When it says mission can be completed from the 15th to the 23rd does that mean any matches on the 23rd won't count?

How do you get so many?

It was on Operation mode Verdun Heights. There german team pushed us back to the last sector on their first attack. We ended up holding the last sector for the next 2 waves of attacks. I was on the french team and just ran with the Automatico M1918.

EYEL1NER

Argh, forgot all about the Summer Missions. I won an Operations match on that first day and then hadn't played the mode again. I just jumped on and one my second Ops match; the mission should still be going on, no? The 15th-23rd leads me to believe it would end tonight, but this is my first BF1 event and I don't know when they flip the switches off for events yet.

TikeMyson

I know that but I get confused with the wording. Does it mean the days in between 23rd and the 30th? or should I have got it today when I logged in?

As far as I understand the days between the 23rd and the 30th because today is the last chance to win those 3 operations.

EYEL1NER

I just won my third Operations match, I believe. I keep doing Kaiserschlacht but this last one was the first time as defenders that I've been pushed back from St. Quentin Scar to Amiens. We won it there though. I've played four matches of Operations and the first one, right after getting the game, was horrible. I was an attacker and lost horribly. Playing as defenders seems to work for me though. I'm going to play another Operations match to be safe, because after the first match I played today, which should have been my 2 of 3 Operations wins, I didn't see the ribbon pop up. I do see three ribbons in my ribbon collection though, but I'll do another anyway.

EDIT: Just won another. I should be good now.
EDIT 2: Servers seem to be slightly borked for me this afternoon/evening. Had some bad lag earlier and the last two matches that I quit out of at the results screen, I get a message saying "Kicked. You've lost connection to the server."

I just came back to this game after a lengthy hiatus and holy shit, it's so disappointing how little it's improved. Squads still never stick together, leaders still rarely issue orders, voice chat is still rarely utilized, and objectives still flip as though teams are playing musical chairs.

Most surprising of all is that revive-skipping is just as rampant as it was on day one, even with the new ability to "spot" dead players and tell them you're on your way. Time and time again I utilized this feature only to have my freshly-dead teammates skip their revive anyways without hesitation. What a shame.

Coming from PlanetSide 2, what I realize the most is just how much of a pacing disaster Battlefield suffers from. It's no wonder so many of the things above occur when movement speed is so fast, TTK is so low, and spawn times are so short. Flags are also captured/lost far too quickly, making it nigh impossible to mount any sort of defense before they're lost.

Battlefield 1 is little more than a pretty disaster. The game is drop-dead gorgeous and its audio is second to none, but man is it a complete and utter mess the moment you hop into any Conquest match. There's no "I" in team, yet DICE has clearly built the game around a selfish, ADHD-fueled mindset in which there's virtually no room for any actual teamwork or cohesion. It's perhaps worse in Battlefield 1 than it's ever been.

Back I go to PlanetSide 2, the same routine I've performed since Battlefield 3. I really hoped it wouldn't come to this--again.

EYEL1NER

Man, I'm never gonna hit level 1 with Scout class. I mean, I will at some point, but not anytime soon. I just had a match where I tried to go Scout-only and went 1-13. I tried again and went like 11-3 or something but all of those kills were from a field gun and a train. I just wanna knock it out so I can have the "hit level 1 with all four classes" achievement, and then I can go back to support.

Olengie

Man, I'm never gonna hit level 1 with Scout class. I mean, I will at some point, but not anytime soon. I just had a match where I tried to go Scout-only and went 1-13. I tried again and went like 11-3 or something but all of those kills were from a field gun and a train. I just wanna knock it out so I can have the "hit level 1 with all four classes" achievement, and then I can go back to support.

Just use the Infantry Variants, especially with one of the Gehewers, unless you really want a scope. Also use flare guns and capture points as much as you can.

EYEL1NER

Just use the Infantry Variants, especially with one of the Gehewers, unless you really want a scope. Also use flare guns and capture points as much as you can.
I bought the infantry Gehewer on your advice. Played a round and don't even think I hit anyone with it. I'm not good with precision weapons in most FPS games but Battlefield especially? Not even a little. I am getting a good amount of pistol and trip mine kills though. I've been trying to use the flares a lot also.

Olengie

I bought the infantry Gehewer on your advice. Played a round and don't even think I hit anyone with it. I'm not good with precision weapons in most FPS games but Battlefield especially? Not even a little. I am getting a good amount of pistol and trip mine kills though. I've been trying to use the flares a lot also.

Which one? I forgot which one is the one that can shoot really fast. Its a lot about picking your shots and trying to aim for the upper body. Also proper leading.

The SMLE is also a good choice for mostly one hit kills imo if you want that.

EYEL1NER

Which one? I forgot which one is the one that can shoot really fast. Its a lot about picking your shots and trying to aim for the upper body. Also proper leading.

The SMLE is also a good choice for mostly one hit kills imo if you want that.
This one (Gewehr M.95 Infantry) doesn't seem like it can shoot too fast. I just went 2-10 but got enough points to put me a sliver away from Lvl 1. Hopefully I get it quick in this next match because it's on Sinai and I like the map a lot, so I'd love to switch to a class I can actually get kills with.

EXIT: Finally got it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This one (Gewehr M.95 Infantry) doesn't seem like it can shoot too fast. I just went 2-10 but got enough points to put me a sliver away from Lvl 1. Hopefully I get it quick in this next match because it's on Sinai and I like the map a lot, so I'd love to switch to a class I can actually get kills with.

I have always struggled with sniping in BF games. the bullet drop makes no sense and bullets inexplicably miss despite the crosshairs being right on target. Hit level 10 last year by abusing Solar Flares and k-bullets and stopped right there.

that said, watching Stodeh on youtube made me want to get better as a sniper. i stopped worrying about the bullet drop in long range sniping (you can change the zero distance by pressing down on the dpad to eliminate the bullet drop over longer ranges) and switched to the carbine and infantry variants. Now I run and gun and quickly switch to my pistol to finish off the kills. SML Carbine is great because it can be a one shot kill if you are in perfect range but only does 60 damage up close so i lost a lot of those battles with assault players. The Gweher has no one shot potential but it does 85 damage up close and mid range so as long as i get a hit, i can get away with a assists count as kills.

Easier to get kills with snipers in Operations and Frontlines because the enemy will always be in front of you. lots of flare assists as well. Abuse the aim assist on consoles, quickscope like you are playing call of duty. you wont get a one shot one kill like in CoD but if you switch to your pistol fast enough you can get a quick 2 hit kill.

I hit 50 with sniper before Support and Medic in a couple of weeks of playtime. it was frustrating at times, but overall very satisfying and rewarding. even topped several games playing as scout. i dont think i have ever seen that.
I just came back to this game after a lengthy hiatus and holy shit, it's so disappointing how little it's improved. Squads still never stick together, leaders still rarely issue orders, voice chat is still rarely utilized, and objectives still flip as though teams are playing musical chairs.

Most surprising of all is that revive-skipping is just as rampant as it was on day one, even with the new ability to "spot" dead players and tell them you're on your way. Time and time again I utilized this feature only to have my freshly-dead teammates skip their revive anyways without hesitation. What a shame.

Coming from PlanetSide 2, what I realize the most is just how much of a pacing disaster Battlefield suffers from. It's no wonder so many of the things above occur when movement speed is so fast, TTK is so low, and spawn times are so short. Flags are also captured/lost far too quickly, making it nigh impossible to mount any sort of defense before they're lost.

Battlefield 1 is little more than a pretty disaster. The game is drop-dead gorgeous and its audio is second to none, but man is it a complete and utter mess the moment you hop into any Conquest match. There's no "I" in team, yet DICE has clearly built the game around a selfish, ADHD-fueled mindset in which there's virtually no room for any actual teamwork or cohesion. It's perhaps worse in Battlefield 1 than it's ever been.

Back I go to PlanetSide 2, the same routine I've performed since Battlefield 3. I really hoped it wouldn't come to this--again.
Stop playing Conquest. problem solved. ;p The new map only has Conquest so no Frontlines or operations for me, and it was a miserable experience with players running around everywhere with no real cohesion.

The problem with the playerbase is that it attracted a lot of the CoD crowd and they suck. Some of my DLC games are great because both teams have players who work together but the moment i get back to vanilla maps, everything feels like a rambo game with idiots wasting tanks, ignoring tanks, sniping on hills and not even using solar flares among other inexcusable behaviors.

DICE should have accounted for this influx of idiots, and allowed us to get ammo and meds from medics and support players without asking for it. they should have added more instructions so i could ask Spot Flares to be dropped in a specific area, same goes for mortars. Let me as Squad Leader set tanks and behemoths as objectives and give players double xp for attacking it. Let squad leaders be the only person you can spawn on so all squads stick together. Or at the very least, give Squad Leader a follow me option and give extra points for players who stick with him. I finally got to play the DLC operations thanks to Premium trials filling up 40 player servers, and all the idiots were just throwing grenades into each other's room for 5-10 minutes straight instead of just going around the room and flanking them from behind. It's literally a hallway that you go down and turn left. But they just sat at the entrance of the hallway the whole time. i kept yelling follow me and no one paid attention.

Let me as Squad Leader set tanks and behemoths as objectives and give players double xp for attacking it. Let squad leaders be the only person you can spawn on so all squads stick together. Or at the very least, give Squad Leader a follow me option and give extra points for players who stick with him.

Exactly! These things would be SO much more effective as orders. I'm convinced DICE just can't get it right, though. I've all but completely given up on this game.

SlimySnake

Exactly! These things would be SO much more effective as orders. I'm convinced DICE just can't get it right, though. I've all but completely given up on this game.

MAG was incredible at this. If a Squad leader set any bunker, AA, mortar, sensory array as objective, you would get double xp as long as you were in the vicinity. They could also switch the spawns to spawn with other squads and help them take their bunker.

I used to love taking my squad behind enemy lines, flanking the bunkers and taking out their AA, mortars and just wrecking havoc in their base.

Another great thing it did was that it let anyone carry around a revive kit. no more need for spawning on dead squadmates, just let everyone revive each other.

DICE still hasnt fixed the Monte Grappa bunkers in operation. there is still one bunker that can be capped from inside. Same with the last sector in Argonne Forest. We wasted two battalions there last night. An entire train because the entire team kept spawning on each other camping in the basement and we simply couldnt get enough people on the flag to cap it from above. Was probably a terrible team sure, but we did manage to get to the last sector in a very hard operations with a battalion to spare so we werent that bad.

LightInfa

Russian 1895 trench is the highest rate of fire scout rifle

EYEL1NER

Thanks for the sniping tips, Slimey Snake. I didn't even know that changing the zero distance did anything, so that's good to know.
Russian 1895 trench is the highest rate of fire scout rifle
Are you sure? The in-game stats say that the Ru 1895 Trench has a RoF of 124 with a 5 round mag. The M1903 Experimental that I've been using (to no avail) has a RoF of 360 and a mag size of 41.

lol, just went 3-11 on Argonne Forest Conquest but got 10,000 points and placed 11 on my team. We won like 1000-251 or something, 8 caps to 5 (and they only got that many because it took me forever to kill the train as it continued to take C over and over).

It was a fairly full enemy team too. Most of them left after and most of my team left after as well. I only realized that after 10 minutes went by on an Amiens match and both teams had like only ~200 points. We started getting hammered after that and I checked the scoreboard: we were down to 7vs7. My team was actually down to 6, because one of my squadmates was apparently afk on the spawn screen. My squad leader finally had enough and left, leaving just me and the afk guy. It sucked all the more that he left because he was popping XP Boosts between the last match and this one. 20 minutes into the match and the enemy team has only 400 points but was in the lead. We finally got a train but at that point they had all the flags and had jumped up to 8 people; my team was down to 5. Their points started jumping up quick, so I figured I'd just ride it out. I finished with 7 kills and 14 or 15 deaths. That's the second time I've had a match on Amiens where everyone left or lagged out between the previous round and that one, and there was no one left. I was playing a match a couple days ago and was like "We are getting thoroughly trounced; where is everyone? What the hell are these guys doing, because it sure isn't getting flags or kills?!" I checked the scoreboard only to find out that we were down to 4 players including me (and of course enemy team had like 9). I did quit out of that one.

Haven't played for like a month. In which playlist are the two new night maps? I've played Nivelle Nights but not the other one mentioned in this thread.

ThisOne

The M1903 Experimental is terrible, by the way. Don't use it.

Both new maps get thrown into the voting rotation on They Shall Not Pass.

EYEL1NER

The M1903 Experimental is terrible, by the way. Don't use it.

Both new maps get thrown into the voting rotation on They Shall Not Pass.
I don't use it much. Now that I hit level 1 with Scout (I might try to hit level 2, for the 80 Gamerscore), I barely use the class except when the team I'm on is steamrolling the other team, I'll switch to it for the flares and also in hopes of getting a kill or two here and there (I pick up a few... with my incendiary grenades and pistol). I did just get the Black Watch skin for the SMLE so I might give the Marksman another try, or the Infantry variant.

terrible

Banned
I don't like sniping but if I do snipe these are what I use:

For headshots: Gewehr 98 Sniper
For sweet spot kills: SMLE Marksman
For assists count as kills: M.95 (any of them, usually infantry though)

EYEL1NER

I'm at almost 50 hours now in like two weeks or something and don't have many complaints at all. I'm starting to get irritated by imbalances in team numbers though, since it is happening again to me right now. The match has been 12vs18 for like 20 minutes. We started off kind of strong and then started losing ground. That was fine, except we got to the point where we were never able to gain any ground again. A few of us would start taking any of the flags, I'd sneak in and my whole team almost would spawn on me, but being outnumbered meant the enemy could divert a sizable chunk of their team to that area and overwhelm us. Try capping multiple at a time? Nope. So I check the scoreboard and we're down six players? Five minutes later I check and the teams are matched up the same, 12v16. I checked later and still nothing. Why wouldn't the quickplay system dump some people into our match or something?

EDIT: Just had a weird Ballroom Blitz map match: It finished 1000-895 us. The enemy behemoth? It didn't spawn. The announcer said it was on the way right as the map ended. Haven't seen that happen yet.

EDIT2: A couple really good games later, I start an Amien match where we lost like twenty people from the previous match on our team. It was 7 of us and 15 on the enemy side. I wasn't gonna risk no one ever spawning in on my side; I quit out of it. This only happens with Amien for me. I wonder if it is some server thing. I didn't know the people in the last match but my squad had been together for two matches at that point and was doing well, everyone was sharing double XP, we took Squad MVP on the last one. But Amien boots up, which most people voted for, and three of the guys are gone, along with half the team. Weird.

SlimySnake

I'm at almost 50 hours now in like two weeks or something and don't have many complaints at all. I'm starting to get irritated by imbalances in team numbers though, since it is happening again to me right now. The match has been 12vs18 for like 20 minutes. We started off kind of strong and then started losing ground. That was fine, except we got to the point where we were never able to gain any ground again. A few of us would start taking any of the flags, I'd sneak in and my whole team almost would spawn on me, but being outnumbered meant the enemy could divert a sizable chunk of their team to that area and overwhelm us. Try capping multiple at a time? Nope. So I check the scoreboard and we're down six players? Five minutes later I check and the teams are matched up the same, 12v16. I checked later and still nothing. Why wouldn't the quickplay system dump some people into our match or something?

EDIT: Just had a weird Ballroom Blitz map match: It finished 1000-895 us. The enemy behemoth? It didn't spawn. The announcer said it was on the way right as the map ended. Haven't seen that happen yet.

EDIT2: A couple really good games later, I start an Amien match where we lost like twenty people from the previous match on our team. It was 7 of us and 15 on the enemy side. I wasn't gonna risk no one ever spawning in on my side; I quit out of it. This only happens with Amien for me. I wonder if it is some server thing. I didn't know the people in the last match but my squad had been together for two matches at that point and was doing well, everyone was sharing double XP, we took Squad MVP on the last one. But Amien boots up, which most people voted for, and three of the guys are gone, along with half the team. Weird.

The behemoth thing is a bug that happens from time to time in Conquest. It's a known bug that hasnt been fixed yet.

As for imbalanced matches, i think people keep quitting so while the game does put in more players on your team, people look at the scoreboard and leave immediately.

i have brought up this idea that they should encourage team switching by offering double xp to anyone who switches to the losing team at the half way point for Conquest. Pause the game and let people switch. Same goes for Operations after they lose a battalion. Yesterday i got 95 kills defending Verdun Heights for 3 battalions. It was an intense match that they almost won but we didnt even get to Fort Devo. They should have rebalanced the teams after they wasted the 2nd battalion and give double xp to the people that were put on the losing side to make it interesting for the rest of the operations.

Haven't played for like a month. In which playlist are the two new night maps? I've played Nivelle Nights but not the other one mentioned in this thread.
Nivelle Nights will be in rotation for all modes under the They Shall Not Pass Quickplay. You can try and search for it in the Server browser. Frontlines plays great on it. lots of trench warfare. No operations for it though.

The latest night map is only available for Conquest, Domination and maybe TDM. No Frontlines or Rush as far as i can tell. Probably because it's so small.

EYEL1NER

Just had a super-close match, 999-1000. Came down to the wire. I've had some good ones tonight. They've been generous with Double XP too, so I dug into my reserves (of 2 total) and popped one for a really good squad of randoms that were playing well.
I also switched back to the Lewis Gun from the BAR (love that gold Doughboy skin for the BAR) after getting 100 kills with the BAR because I needed like 12 kills to get 100 with Lewis. Man I'm doing a lot better with the Lewis, winning some engagements I feel like I would have lost before.

EDIT: About to call it quits for the night. I just had one of those matches on Scar where the enemy team is absolutely incredible with planes, and they just run wild all over your team while no one tries to take them down. We kept losing A and I kept trying to retake it so I could get ahold of the AA and kill some planes but as soon as I'd retake it and repair the gun, the enemy would swarm A or a plane would kill me. Very frustrating. And we even won the match! It just kind of ruined my mood for the night though.

EDIT 2: I know I said I was done but I decided to push on, since I am almost at Support level 10. I was just playing a Sinai map where everyone bailed, leaving only two people to a side. It was just two of us on each team rolling around taking flags. Luckily for my team, the other guys decided to just fly around, letting us cap all of them. That meant we would pretty much be in the lead forever. They finally started fighting back and got a train after a while. I went over and killed it half way dead since the two of them were just driving tanks and capping flags. After something like 35 minutes, we were almost at 800 points and there was no way they could win, which I guess was obvious to them for a while. They both quit around that point though, which caused the match to end and my teammate and I to get dumped back into the map versus no opponents. Felt kinda shitty to me for them to do that; they were going to lose but they were gonna get tons of points from it. I think I had 20,000 or something, which is more than I get in any other match I've played. Oh well, should have seen it coming. At first I was like "This match won't start with 2v2" but it did, so then I was like "People will join eventually," but no one ever did. So then I thought "Maybe I can win this." But nope.

SlimySnake

I also switched back to the Lewis Gun from the BAR (love that gold Doughboy skin for the BAR) after getting 100 kills with the BAR because I needed like 12 kills to get 100 with Lewis. Man I'm doing a lot better with the Lewis, winning some engagements I feel like I would have lost before.

EDIT: About to call it quits for the night. I just had one of those matches on Scar where the enemy team is absolutely incredible with planes, and they just run wild all over your team while no one tries to take them down. We kept losing A and I kept trying to retake it so I could get ahold of the AA and kill some planes but as soon as I'd retake it and repair the gun, the enemy would swarm A or a plane would kill me. Very frustrating. And we even won the match! It just kind of ruined my mood for the night though.

The Lewis gun takes forever to kill people. I wouldnt be surprised if it was a 6 shot kill.

Use the MG-15 suppressive on planes.

No it's the other Russian map, "something pass". Can't remember the name as of now. There is one more Russian map that's going to be on the CTE.

edit: Here are the requirements to unlock the new Russian weapons.

Some of those are really dumb, I don't like how kills are limited to opposing classes.

But the worst by far is "kill 2 airplanes with the madsen mg trench"

they should make it so it's still possible to get them through normal xp or warbonds, it's just completing assignments gets you a random skin for them and unlocks them early for free or something idk

I also hate how some of the assignments are repeats from They Shall Not Pass. Whatever, as long as we never get something as horrific as the F2000 unlock from BF4 I won't raise too much of a stink.

Some of those are really dumb, I don't like how kills are limited to opposing classes.

But the worst by far is "kill 2 airplanes with the madsen mg trench"

they should make it so it's still possible to get them through normal xp or warbonds, it's just completing assignments gets you a random skin for them and unlocks them early for free or something idk

I also hate how some of the assignments are repeats from They Shall Not Pass. Whatever, as long as we never get something as horrific as the F2000 unlock from BF4 I won't raise too much of a stink.
i fucking hope those are still a WIP and will change. Fuck that plane one.

i fucking hope those are still a WIP and will change. Fuck that plane one.

let's hope, they never changed some of the BS BF4 ones even after the community raised hell

but maybe that's because it was already on live and it would fuck something up? I don't know. I feel like if you're paying 50 bucks to get weapons, gadgets and maps and some of the weapons are locked behind grinding and a healthy dose of luck/RNG...

I'm still not level 10 with all of the classes yet and then I'll have to get 200 kills with a single weapon lol

terrible

Banned
The Lewis gun takes forever to kill people. I wouldnt be surprised if it was a 6 shot kill.

Use the MG-15 suppressive on planes.
At range all the non DLC machine guns are 6 bullets to kill except the Lewis Gun and Huot. They take 7. I don't like either of them.

also "kill 5 scouts with K bullets" lol

and another problem with the assignments/specific online achievements in general is that especially shortly after release you're gonna have a bunch of people doing poorly just so they can get these specific tasks over with

it's gonna be great joining a game where 20 people on your team all have LMGs and are desperately trying to down a plane

also "kill 5 scouts with K bullets" lol

and another problem with the assignments/specific online achievements in general is that especially shortly after release you're gonna have a bunch of people doing poorly just so they can get these specific tasks over with

it's gonna be great joining a game where 20 people on your team all have LMGs and are desperately trying to down a plane
yep I heard that lmg is good as well. From the youtubers.

Top Bottom