• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I've been (possibly) hacked on PSN.

sensui-tomo

Sony apologist: it's YOUR fault you got hacked.
No, but it's very likely your account info was shared with another site with the same password and that site was hacked and the person just tried to see if it'd work on PSN. Hell that's why my Xbox and Rockstar account were hacked ages ago. I don't use the email or password anymore.
Sony should be more sympathetic towards people who get hacked though. None of that 1 time reverse the payment bullshit, they should be able to see where the purchase was originated from and realize that it was a malicious purchase.
Edit: just saw joke line. The above still matters to other people reading though.

OneUh8

Sony apologist: it's YOUR fault you got hacked.

Well that is ridiculous. Every single service is vulnerable. If 2 step is offered, you better use it imo. I have 2step enabled for Sony, MS, Google, Blizzard, Steam, EA/Origin, Paypal. And whatever else I can't think of. It is just being smart and understanding that NO ONE is safe from a hack.

tsab

He owns the game physically.
Plus he wouldn't have my billing details. Though I did ring him as I'd forgotten both if those details.

I should say he is an adult, 20 in case you all picture an 8 year old or something.

Bummer then, it would be better it was this than you've been hacked OP. :(

L.O.R.D

While we are talking about PSN hacking,anyone is getting messages about changing PSN account password?
I am getting like 2 message every week or every month.

Already have two step verification activate.

Elandyll

Banned
psn is shit tier service

always activate as many security options as you can with them
I see the myth of the hacker who would infiltrate Sony databases to steal a handful of logins and password is well alive... /smh

99% it's the user who shared info, clicked on something he shouldn't have and filled information on a fake website or more probably got a Trojan/ keylogger, nothing about which Sony can do anyhing.

They took way too long to implement 2FA, but now it's here.

Use it.

icespide

Banned
giphy.gif

m@cross

That's the scenario that worries me tbh. I do fuck all apps, so it would have to be through the browser. Dunno, if that's possible.

But even still isn't a password that long unique and alpha numeric too difficult to crack?

Well technically any password can be hacked with enough time, but 25 characters mixed with case/numbers/symbols.. as close to impossible as you'll get. So if your password got out, it was found in some way, not decrypted/guessed. You need to look at any device that used that password to access something and/or stores it as a remembered password. Key logger, malware, compromised website etc.

Minions

While we are talking about PSN hacking,anyone is getting messages about changing PSN account password?
I am getting like 2 message every week or every month.

Already have two step verification activate.

Depending on your email client you can check he header information. Most clients have a way to view message source (which is a good idea), it can be used to figure out where an email actually originates from.

Emails could be phishing emails with spoofed send/return emails. You would have to view detailed headers to see if they were sent/originate from Sony or if someone copied the emails and spoofed the send/receive.

Fredrik

oh my god so many mis-uses of the word hacking. I am triggered
Sorry, you probably still understood me so try to answer my question if you can instead of pointing out grammatic errors :p I just want to understand how all these hacks, or whatever they're called, can happen so often.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Sorry, you probably still understood me so try to answer my question if you can instead of pointing out grammatic errors :p I just want to understand how all these hacks, or whatever they're called, can happen so often.
But I replied?

icespide

Banned

90% of the time they are not hacks, just someone acquiring/cracking someone's password for reasons like:

- too simple of a password
- use the same password on several services

PSN especially is a big target for people wanting access to peoples accounts so when a big site (linkedin, yahoo, etc) actually does get hacked and has user info breached, lots of people might use those same passwords for PSN and voila someone can get into their account and fuck shit up

EvB

Can we please stop these threads?

Your PS4 nor PSN has been compromised.
Imagine if off topic had a thread EVERY time someone got their bank account "hacked"

benny_a

How do we know the nephew didn't buy it?

Are billing details console dependent or account dependent?
Account.

As is the setting to require a password on checkout, which can be enabled on the website.
(Which may not yield very much additional security but may help very lazy people to reconsider if they really need some random game they aren't going to play just because it's on sale.)

dh4niel

I thought we could go a week without a thread like this.

Take your card details off your account and buy pre-paid cards online. It's the safest way.

otakukidd

Plus he wouldn't have my billing details. Though I did ring him as I'd forgotten both if those details.

I should say he is an adult, 20 in case you all picture an 8 year old or something.
If a game is not in the drive and you press down on the game profile. Doesn't it go to the button to buy it on the store.

Trace

Banned
PSN has not been hacked. "You" have not been hacked.

Your account details were shared between your PSN account and another service that has been hacked at some point.

Turn on two step verification and use unique passwords, for everyone reading this.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Account.

As is the setting to require a password on checkout, which can be enabled on the website.
(Which may not yield very much additional security but may help very lazy people to reconsider if they really need some random game they aren't going to play just because it's on sale.)

So this just looks like the new phew probably did it? Or one of the computers he "think" he logged out of probably wasn't logged out of.

I doubt this was any kind of legitimate compromise in this case.

benny_a

huh... yes?
Sony could advertise it more to already existing user accounts. (I think some regions got mails, but I want more.)

Maybe the conversion is terribly but at least do one of those "Did you know?" notification. They should pursue more avenues.

Also after you enable 2FA remove your credit / debit card details from your PSN (Amazon, Nintendo, etc) accounts. Its a really bad idea to have direct money tied to those gaming accounts, its much better instead to buy PSN wallet cards from a store or even amazon / etc and use those to fund digital purchases.

That way, even if your account is hacked there is a small cap on what can be bought.

At this point Sony (Microsoft, etc) needs to make 2FA required and force you to opt out with giant warnings of YOU WILL PROBABLY GET HACKED WITHOUT 2FA etc etc

score01

Op, if you have your billing details entered into your profile then your nephew will have access to this from his own console under your login?

Could be a potential avenue to pursue...

JP

If a game is not in the drive and you press down on the game profile. Doesn't it go to the button to buy it on the store.
I'm going from memory but this sounds about right.

They wouldn't have any obligation to do it but it may be worth contact customer support to see if they could refund it. That may be more of an issue if the game was actually launched though.

benny_a

Is it really that easy though? OP said he had a long password and never used it elsewhere.
I thought you asked in general.

And in general with the millions upon millions of leaked data we have to analyze what I've said is pretty much true.

That doesn't mean this was the case in this specific instance.

Wedzi

Banned
Funny enough I made a PSN account in preparation for eventually getting a PS4 over Black Friday, ended up not buying it but that's a different story. Anyways a few days ago I got a random email saying I changed the email address to that account. Tried to contact customer support but no luck. I've never bought anything on it or even log into it on an actual system so no sweat off my balls but I'm going to miss SuperDaxer64 :(

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
So, with 2FA, is it every time I turn my PS4 on I have to do this 2FA step or every time I sign onto the store?

I have my PS4 auto log me in, enabling this does it mean I put the PIN in each and every time or?

icespide

Banned
So, with 2FA, is it every time I turn my PS4 on I have to do this 2FA step or every time I sign onto the store?

So I have my PS4 auto log me in, enabling this does it mean I put the PIN in each and every time or?

no you only do it once on your PS4. if you log into the store from a web browser you'll have to do it anytime it asks for your password

TalonJH

2 step now enabled. :)

It's still possible it was accidental, if someone like a cleaner etc in my house hit my joypad, or my dad accidentally controlled the ps4 with the remote control but that seems unlikely. Will see when I get them the serial numbers.

Are we sure that when you enter your payment detail it doesn't stay with your account rather than the system. That would make it entirely possible that it was bought on your other PS4 by the family member.

A good tip for people, if they have decent memory, is to have different passwords (strong ones at that) for every new thing they register for. I know it can be annoying, but it will help prevent multiple accounts on different services from getting accessed as well.

A good tip for people, if they have decent memory, is to have different passwords (strong ones at that) for every new thing they register for. I know it can be annoying, but it will help prevent multiple accounts on different services from getting accessed as well.

don't depend on memory, use a program like KeePass, 1Pass, LastPass, etc. I have a different password for every single site I visit, with unique security Q/A's (usually nonsense like "knock knock" "frog") stored as unique entries, the file backed up onto my dropbox and google drive, which is accessible on my phone and also an emergency copy stored on a thumbdrive in my brothers house across the country and in my bank safety deposit box.

The actual password file, which is literally my entire digital life, is password protected as well so even if someone got it they'd need the password to access each item. WHich if they did, i'll be honest, I'm ultra screwed.

Hasney

Can we please stop these threads?

Your PS4 nor PSN has been compromised.
Imagine if off topic had a thread EVERY time someone got their bank account "hacked"

Why? Are we running out? Surely you could scroll past?

If even one more person sets up 2FA because of these threads, it's a good thing. But everyone who just posts " 2FA and don't worry" has another thing coming. It's not perfect, especially as it's SMS based, so stay vigilant.

Weevilone

There's nothing to sort out. We as a community need to stop referring to what amounts to teenagers guessing your password as "hacking"

We're all password lazy. And it's not a surprise; PSN log in, Squareenix account, Uplay account, EA access, XBL the temptation to have them all the same is undeniable, but the bottom line is we need to be using stronger passwords.

Dude said he had a unique 25 random character password.

Top Bottom